Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Are third parties skipping the Wii U due to attachment rate? No. I hear this brought up all of the time but any time a new console comes out, third party publishers do whatever they can to design games so people buy the console. They want consoles to have high attachment rates and the only way to have that happen is if your games are coming out for it. I doubt Enix expected to make money on Actraiser at launch. It was all about getting people to play it so once ActRaiser 2 came out, it was a recognizable game. The concept of skipping a new console because the numbers are low is just crazy based on history.

Sorry but this is just hilariously wrong, right now there have been several developers, some even in the last week, who have literally come out and said developing for the WiiU would be a waste of time and money because of low attach rates.

Also right now Three out of Three of the major middleware engines are skipping the WiiU entirely, and one of them (Frostbite) will have a version for every single home gaming system the WiiU, including Android and iOS.

If that's not damning as hell I don't know what is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Every new console has an attach rate lower than the consoles that have been out for several years.

This shouldn't be difficult to understand.

The attach rate is so low it's being outsold by the "abject failure" Vita.

stuff like this:

quote:

Just Cause 2 developer's Wii U dev kits are 'collecting dust'

Avalanche founder Christofer Sundberg said on Pressfire that the Wii U's user base wasn't big enough to justify investing the company's time on Nintendo's console. "We actually had some development kits that just collected dust. It's a bit sad, because we wanted to do something. I think it is a cool platform, but right now it's not just up to us. We want the game to reach as many as possible."

He also added that he and his team had trouble communicating with Nintendo, saying that the company had always been difficult to reach. "You never quite know who to contact."

Both of those things are huge, huge problems.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Smaller developers license and use middleware so they don't have to spend tens to hundreds of millions creating their own engines.

This is why Frostbite/UE4/Crytek not being on the WiiU is such a big deal.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Bobnumerotres posted:

They're plenty doable on the console. There's just no reason to invest into the WiiU at the moment. Its sales are abysmal.

UE3 barely runs acceptably on the WiiU. UE4 won't run on it, Crytek "will" run on it (poorly) but they're not bothering, and Frostbite would run like garbage on it so they're not bothering.

The WiiU is at a point where they are expecting people to build their own engines specifically for a single underperforming platform who's predecessors haven't really sold 3rd party software well.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

E3 is watched by the average gamer?

E3 gets a 2-3 minute rundown on the national news even here in New Zealand. It's kind of a big deal.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Toady posted:

As for EA, I don't know how much money they're investing in their games, though it doesn't seem like much given their quality lately.

SWTOR cost them aprox. 180-200 million to make, and they spent 250 million or so marketing it.

They'd rather up-sell a lovely product than make a good one.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Crowbear posted:

I know they're saving releases and advertising budget for the holidays

Why would they be loving stupid enough to do that?

"Ah, yes, let's let our poorly selling home console with no games languish until it's almost time for both Microsoft and Sony to launch their brand new consoles. This is thing that we should do."

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Jetamo posted:

I seriously doubt any new hardware release is actually going to go smoothly due to the sheer increase in complexity of games nowadays. :colbert:

The increase in complexity... to the level of PC hardware a year ago? That increase?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Fulchrum posted:

Because there is no middle ground between a guy who is willing to spend $1500 a year on a gaming PC, and people who only play smartphone games. None at all.

No one spends $1500 a year on a gaming PC, but good work trotting out an argument against it from the late '90s, it's always enjoyable when that one is used unironically.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Crowbear posted:

A sizable LCD touchscreen

Please note that it's a single touch resistive touchscreen running at 854×480.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Britva Cutter posted:

Resistive? I had just assumed it was capacitive.

You'd think that, considering almost every touch screen device in the last 5 years has been, but nope. Resistive.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
^^^ Bah, quick draw posting!

Remember they just released Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance a few months ago, which sold more copies than any of their other games.

Having almost all the game paid for by Nintendo means they really don't have any skin in the game other than their personal brand.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

PonchAxis posted:

You know I feel like Nintendo would have been better off releasing the Wii U this fall instead of last year.

Up against the PS4 and Xbox Doritos? At that point they may as well have just burned all of their money instead.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Iacen posted:

Bob Summerwill, who's apparently "Senior SE and Architect, EA Sports", isn't all that fond of Nintendo.
After that guy who was fired after the always-online thing at Microsoft, I wonder if Bob has a job at EA next week:

No one is going to get fired for calling a system they aren't working on lovely.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

fivegears4reverse posted:

Right now, the Wii U's backward compatibility with Wii games is not propping the system up.

What, you mean people aren't rushing out to the stores to spend $350 to play Wii Sports for 4 months before leaving it to collect dust under the TV?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

A cool drat horse posted:

The thing is, I don't really think most folks share your experience.

"Most folks" who bought a Wii don't know what a marios or a zeldon is, nor do they care.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

fivegears4reverse posted:

Lets not be totally unreasonable. Lego City is a whole lot of fun, and Monster Hunter has been pretty much the only thing other than Super Metroid I've played on my system for the last two months.

When did those games come out Vs when NSMBU came out?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Louisgod posted:

Yup, the RAM is the main one for me too. Yes, while 2 GB may kiiiiiinda seem good, when you consider the sluggish OS hogs 1 GB at all times, you're pretty limited in what you can do and now you've included an unnecessary hurdle for developers with the intent of saving money. Horribly shortsighted and I feel it's already coming back to bite them in the rear end.

The ram is also amazingly slow compared to the PS3/360.

Like, half as fast.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

OneEightHundred posted:

RAM's not as important as it used to be, modern games almost all do resource stream-ins and if the game can drop and reload assets effectively, then a large working set is a lot less useful. I have no idea what the gently caress they're doing with that OS if they reserved 1GB for it though.

The ram is also shared video memory, so unless Nintendo has managed to make magic textures that are stored in the aether, large amounts of fast ram Still Matter. Also for AI, etc.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Rocketlex posted:

Also our cartoon mascot characters don't have large enough eyebrows.

So what you're saying is, Dungeons of Dreadmor (jp) will be a huge hit?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

MinibarMatchman posted:

Yeah, this. Wii-U isn't a Dreamcast because the Dreamcast had more games at launch, so that comparison doesn't even hold water. PS3 came back after a little while when it actually had more games.

Fairly sure the PS3 had more games a year in than the WiiU does a year in. Like a lot more.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Harry posted:

Good thing the world isn't ending tomorrow.

The world was going to end tomorrow but Nintendo pushed it back until November.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW1CoCPX-jc

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Jefferoo posted:

Emphasis on imagine. It's all guesswork and hyperbole and super vague assumptions that are supposed to make Nintendo out to be some sort of bad guy. Nintendo isn't obligated, or hell, even "bad" or "out of touch" for not wanting unrelated individuals to profit off of their creative works by putting the entirety of them up on Youtube in Let's Play form.

The last thing Nintendo wants to be doing is alienating people who actually buy their console/games.

You don't seem to understand how far good will goes towards keeping a rabid, consuming fanbase.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Fallom posted:

Sony got it with the PS3 and Vita. Whatever is going on at Nintendo is their own brand of bullshit and nothing to do with Japan.

Actually that's because the European and American divisions started having more of a say in how Sony operated their onlinegame stuff.

Ask Samurai Sanders, Japan's bizzare blindspot when it comes to the Internet being A Thing is fairly real.

Moongrave fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 19, 2013

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Saoshyant posted:

Floppy disks,

I'm fairly certain these existed before Nintendo did anything with them, dude.

(In fact the 3 1/4 inch floppy we all know and love was based off a Sony design)

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I think the literal best thing on the WiiU right now is the Nintendoland music.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Guys, get ready to tongue punch your fart boxes, as all those people who said they were going to buy the WiiU once there was a "real" Mario game and Smash Bros. all rush out and save the platform*!

quote:

#IwataSays We will discuss new Smash Bros., 3D Mario game, Mario Kart and other Wii U titles in our #NintendoDirectNA before the start of E3

* This isn't going to save poo poo if no one else is making games for it.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Remember when EA said they were fully backing the WiiU and were firm friends, then farted out Madden and Mass Effect 3, threw up their hands and left?

Yeah.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Supercar Gautier posted:

Probably the only way to get strong and consistent third-party support is for Nintendo to sit down with developers in advance and go "Okay, what do you want in a console?" the way Sony seems to have done with the PS4.

But even then, Nintendo would probably balk at the resulting manufacturing cost.

That would involve a bunch of Japanese business men sitting down in a room and having a conversation about them having done something wrong. The likelyhood of that happening is slim to nil. (All the legwork for Sony courting devs for the mid-game PS3/PS4 was done by SCEA and SCEE)

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr posted:

Why do sales stats never count digital sales? Are they that small of a portion of sales?

Steam doesn't give out numbers to anyone but the company who made the game, and most of the time they don't bother getting them/publishing them.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

OneEightHundred posted:

The vast majority of games out right now could have been done 10 years ago with worse graphics. While higher performance can enable new gameplay, it been deep into diminishing returns for a long time. There's a reason that the PS4 presentation focused a lot on things that weren't just processor power boosts.

Like RAM, which you can't do loving anything without.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
For anyone saying "Graphics Don't Sell Consoles"

The Playstation.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Could you have picked a worse example? The Playstation was a graphical leap, but nothing anyone was ready for. It was 3D adolescence, awkward and ugly.

It was also a god drat revolution in home gaming and drove sales. Looking back on it now it is loving awful, yes, but in 1994 it was mind blowing.

Tobal No.1 was a 3d charactered fighting game running at a locked 60fps, for example.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

treeboy posted:

Pretty sure I understand them quite well actually. Did you know that a Windows 7 PC running full bore max settings on Crysis (released 2007) barely uses 1gb of memory? And that it looks stunningly better than any game we've seen in the last decade from consoles (hell even on low it looks better).

1gb is a lot of memory dedicated to games, 5-7 is also a lot, objectively quite a lot more than even 1gb. However the amount of useable memory in development has diminishing returns as far as effective increases in quality are concerned. You'll see a much bigger leap in fidelity between 0.5-3gb than you will between 3-7.

Did you know that games use ram for more than graphics? Things like AI, physics and storing worldstates to reduce draw-in? Things that have been horrifically neglected due to the overall lack of memory on current systems.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

treeboy posted:

I'm well aware of data/art bloat, i deal with it daily. You're also completely missing my point that contemporary PC games which don't have any of the restrictive memory requirements of current gen consoles still don't use 5-7 gigs of system memory.

You know why that is, right? You're not actually that stupid, are you?

It couldn't be that most games are made for hamstrung consoles and therefore HAVE to be limited down to that amount, or are built assuming they might put it on the consoles so cut back on those thing "just in case", rather than the devs "not being able to find a way to use it".

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Black Baby Goku posted:

What about PC only developers?

You mean like the scenario that I already posted?

Which PC only devs are these by the way? Valve's got Portal/TF2 etc on the consoles, Blizzard is currently porting Diablo III to the PS3/4

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

treeboy posted:

World of Warcraft, arguably one of the more system intensive games in recent history in terms of data usage/communication, and sheer volume of loaded entities/textures/effects/animation, under heavy load uses about 2gb of system memory.

Normal load for Diablo 3 is in the 800k-1.2gb range.

I stand by my statement. I'm sure that in the coming years the extra memory will come in handy for doing some spectacular things, however currently there's no reason to poopoo 1gb as a paltry amount when its double what we've been used to developing with for the last 8 years, and simply figuring out how to fill 4-6 extra gigs of available RAM is the challenge now.

You're also failing to remember that all these systems barring the WiiU are full HD systems running CPU and GPU memory in a single chunk. Throwing the HD texture packs into Skyrim or Sleeping Dogs will give you 1-1.5gb of GPU ram usage along side 1-2gb of system memory use. There's 3.5GB of the Xbone's 5GB locked down already for a current gen game.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Zomodok posted:

You mean that I get to work with proper memory allocation and don't have to use the shortcuts and maybe focus on more complex systems like path finding, artificial intelligence, and the other hundreds of different things that could be expanded on

Why would I want that~~

Did you hear the new Call of Duty has a Dog in it?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

El_Matarife posted:

Uh you guys realize that processes on 32 bit Windows can only use 2GB of RAM right? And since hitting the limit causes a hard crash, it's best to target slightly less than 2GB? (32 bit processes on a 64 bit system or with the /PAE flag on boot can use 3Gb but it isn't something you should depend on)

Meanwhile, take a look at Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/ 32 bit users are still maybe half the market. And only half the market has 4GB or more RAM. There's a lot of valid reasons for PC devs to shy away from really crazy RAM requirements. I don't think I can name any games off hand that require 64 bit even.

The difference is you can have more ram and you can release things like optional free HD texture packs for your games for those people.

Like Skyrim and Sleeping Dogs did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

LDometriax posted:

The Wii U is about to have it's Christmas in 5 months

The system was released on November 18, 2012 in North America, November 30, 2012 in Europe and Australia, and on December 8, 2012 in Japan.

Christmas is an annual commemoration of the birth of Jesus Christ and a widely observed holiday, celebrated generally on December 25.

• Locked thread