Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Guys, say hi to Gello. She was rescued from an abusive home and we were lucky enough to adopt her.

She's the most gentle, soft and dignified/goofy dog I've ever met, but she's scared of lots of stuff. Don't know if I should be asking here on in the training thread, but we're having issue with taking her outside (she really, really does not want to). We don't have a garden, so this is an obvious problem. Don't want to drag her outside and just reinforce the fear she's already got. Even bribery doesn't work, once she shuts down, she's not intested in anything but the couch. Any goons with ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Thanks for the advice, guys. We're really lucky because the adoption agency is absolutely committed to supporting new dog owners and we've received a lot of similar advice as well as a lot of practical help (and bags of free treats).

We also got her a harness, which helps a lot with her walk anxiety for some reason that I don't fully understand. She still is absolutely terrified of kids and other dogs, but that's something that we can scout out and avoid for now while still getting her to go to the toilet.

The challenge is definitely going to be finding the balance between new and scary. My partner has bought into the concept of exposing her to new stuff in order that she doesn't 'get bored' while I'm still advocating a lighter touch and letting her veg at home if that's what she wants to do. So for now, I've given into the idea of taking her along for a walk with one of the adoption agency ladies and her dogs tomorrow and we'll see how that goes. I'm feeling a bit iffy about it, but trying to be positive and hopefully, I'll be proven wrong that it's too much too soon.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

So turns out that while Gello doesn't like the city, she loves the forest. We're walking with a lady who has a deerhound, two malamutes and a small dog. They're teaching her the ropes, and it's wonderful to see her romping around the forest. I don't think I'll let her off-leash without the pack for now, but she has shown pretty good recall and she checks in often.

It's also helped with her confidence during normal walks, she actually walked by a child today without freezing. Progress! And to celebrate, here's some photos.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

Gello is such a pretty deer dog :kimchi: I love her little white feet

She's also really classy.

I also second you posting more pics Rhoga, this thread is what got me interested in greyhounds and more pictures are always better than less.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

post your t-rexes

Does a half T-Rex count?

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Today was unseasonably warm, so of course it was time for a beach day!

The shaggy dog was very perturbed by the fact that there's a dog that can actually keep up with him. She is very speedy.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

bamhand posted:

Those white paws are very good.

They're incredibly useful when we're walking in the early morning and it's still dark.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Greyhounds have the best guilt game.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Gello usually takes a hard think before coming back when called, particularly if we're walking alone. The turn-around trick works, as does a roast chicken bribe. Honestly, she's almost the perfect dog. Her only major issue is her dog-shyness, and walking in the woods and meeting the same dogs every day seems to be helping her cope with that. Small baby steps, we've only had her for two months!

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Glad to hear Abby's doing better, sounds like it was a serious op. At least you got a courtesy nail trim?

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

The true face of an existential crisis.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

It's a martingale collar, just made with merino wool and ostrich leather. Finding a good wide commercial collar in South Africa is hard, it's much easier to get a custom one made.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Zephyr is a really, really pretty dog. He looks so happy about having a sock on his foot. :3:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I'm so glad we don't really have to deal with fireworks here. New Year's is the only time people set them off, and most people in our street just watch the fancy fireworks in the harbour.

In other news, it snowed in the mountains so obviously we had to drive to go see it. And obviously, I'm going to use it as an excuse to post Gello (and pals) in the snow pics. She handled the cold surprisingly well, but I'm glad I brought a coat for when she stopped running.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

actionjackson posted:

Doesn't your greyhound need a coat there? Not trying to intrude, just wondering about the weather. I put a light coat on Abby under like 50, and the thick one under 32 or so. I just made those guidelines up though.

Yeah, it's a fair question that often gets asked. Gello runs really hot. She was really warm while running around but once she stopped chasing poo poo and she started cooling down, the coat went on. Those are just boring photos though. She does prefer running without her coat, and so I tend to watch her closely to make sure she's cosy at all times.

DarkHorse posted:

I love ur dogs

I do too! Though, only Gello is mine. The other's are a friend's, and if I could kidnap them all, I totally would. Especially Iluk, the Malamute. Though, seeing how she is with other dogs make me seriously consider adopting another greyhound soon, as soon as we're allowed to by our landlord.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

I love the shot of Gello launching after Iluk, and the one with the (Irish Wolfhound?) snow all over his muzzle :kimchi:

They all get along so well. Mia (the one Gello's chasing) is the love of Gello's life and they go 'hunting' together all the time. Connor's a Scottish Deerhound, which apparently is like an Irish Wolfhound but smaller and leaner. We're also joined on some of our walks by a legit wolfhound, and the difference is pretty astonishing. I'll see if I can get photos during the week. There was also a fifth dog, but he was too busy rolling in the snow to get photographed. Overall, a beastly gang of dogs. :3:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I feel this perfectly encapsulates the dichotomy of greyhounds.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

Should point out that Bonnie is a saluki/grey cross, please don’t kick me out of this thread though, I like it here :ohdear:

So is Gello, strangely enough! :haw:

Is Bonnie's fur super-soft and silky?

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Gello is classy, all the time.

Even when she's face planting into the ocean. (She was fine. A bit salty, but I don't think she even noticed she got dunked.)

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

“Get a greyhound!” they said, “It’ll be great!” they said

The bit at 00:30 where you ask him if he's a good boy and his tail speeds up. :kimchi:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I think Gello missed the 'greyhounds are lazy' memo. This is her about two hours into our second walk of the day. And she spent most of that walk chasing and hunting stuff.

She doesn't stop, ever.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Thin Privilege posted:

This is a very stupid question. I’ve never seen a fat greyhound. And google has none. So like, is it literally impossible? Does some greyhound society take them away from you if they get fat?

From what I've seen with Gello and heard from other greyhound owners, they're very good at self-regulating their eating. If we give Gello too much food in her bowl, she'll just stop eating. Like today, she decided to skip breakfast, though she did regret that by supper time.

That said, I walked yesterday with a "fat" whippet, so it can happen.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

Spartacus would eat himself into a coma if we let him. Multiple times when we first got him he fooled us into thinking the other adult hadn’t fed him yet, and he was still scrounging for treats and table scraps besides.

Every time you post something like this about Spartacus, I realise that Gello is an EZ-Mode dog.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

But if he has a blanket already on him, he'll maneuver himself so that he can stand up while keeping his back horizontal, before getting up - which allows him to walk around with his blanket draped over him, haha :D

Must be a southern hemisphere greyhound thing.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

She has the best spots, ergo, you have to keep her.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

We’re keeping her :) Time to come up with a name.

Congrats! Looking forward to more pictures.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Today was a beautiful day, and the forest was amazing.

I used to be a typical shut-in goon, and Gello's really helped drag me out into nature to experience moments like this. Dogs are the best. :3:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

So Gello has a doppelganger who is currently in foster. They get along great and it's getting harder and harder to listen to my brain that's telling me we don't have space, time or money for another dog.

Gello in pink, foster in blue.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

Congrats on your new Dog

Looks like he's been adopted, so no new black dog for us. Probably for the best, though I do like DarkHorse's idea of getting multiple Anubii. All dogs will have to pass a pointy-ear check.

Major Isoor posted:

What a great looking countryside, too! If you don't mind me asking, where abouts (very roughly) is that?
Looks like the perfect spot for a grey to have a run, that's for sure!

It's near Cape Town, in South Africa. It's a great city for dogs, with beaches, forests and fynbos to run around in.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I think these might be good dogs, but I need more pictures to confirm.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Speaking of favourite dog children, have a photo of Gello being a Very Serious Dog.

Radiation Cow fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Oct 5, 2018

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

all bandanas confer a +1 bonus to Cute

I'm convinced. Time to go bandana shopping.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I think that photo makes all the poo poo you had to put up with worth it. He looks so incredibly happy.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

Sparty has been really sick with bloody diarrhea. Hoping it's just a clostridium infection and not HGE. He's been acting mostly ok, just pooping problems luckily, but if things don't improve he might need to be hospitalized :(

:ohdear: Hope he feels better soon! Give him a hug from Gello and us.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

Me too :kimchi:

Sparty update: he's back to his normal bouncy self. Seems like it was a Clostridium infection of some kind, because the antibiotics and probiotics seem to have cleared it up.

I'm sure the rice and pumpkin helped, though.

Glad to hear he's doing well. Dogs like Sparty should always be bouncy and cheerful and never sick. (And have tons of goofy videos of them posted on the internet)

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

I love seeing everyone's hounds! It's the best present, in my opinion.

You asked for it.

Gello in a not-a-pool-of-blood

Gello in the flowers

Ears

Gello patiently waiting for a walk

Gello and buddies

Biffday dog

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I've heard the same horror stories about greyhounds running away and then getting lost, but in our case we're either walking in a large group of people and dogs which tend to stick quite close to us, or we're walking in areas she knows quite well. It also helps that she thinks recall is a great excuse to run back at great speed.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

We're on holiday and Gello is making friends with the locals.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Could a massage maybe help if she's got a lot of tension in the area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I was lucky enough to take a walk with a professional photographer and she took some glamour shots of Gello.

She's a very pretty dog.