Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Stop feeding the shitposters

Nobody was feeding you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Did you even read this article? It's saying the opposite of what you're claiming.

quote:

What if the bigger problem is not over-medication but under-treatment? Hearing that 7.5 percent of children are on medication (4.2 percent on psychostimulants) seems stunning, but knowing that 11 percent of children have a diagnosis of ADHD raises a possibility of under-treatment.

quote:

Among those with current mental disorders, only 14.2 percent of youth reported psychotropic medication use, and the majority who had been prescribed medications had a mental disorder with severe consequences, functional impairment, suicidality, or associated behavioral or developmental difficulties. In light of the evidence that about 1 in every 12 youth suffer from a severe developmental, behavioral or emotional disorder, under-treatment remains a serious problem.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 26, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

However, in interesting news the first part of the finale isn't called what we thought it was.

It's called 'Dark Water'.

That's been confirmed for a long while, what did you think it was called?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

HD DAD posted:

What if at some crucial point in the Doctor's time stream, something got hosed up, producing two separate and parallel threads. One thread, the Doctor goes through his life and ends up with his current Capaldi face, and in the other thread, he ends up regenerating eventually into Missy.

Didn't Missy call the Doctor her boyfriend? That would be kind of weird if they're both The Doctor.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I don't think any of them have been even close to THAT creepily narcissistic, though.

But, I guess there's a first time for every weird personality quirk, when it comes to the Doctor.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

"Seem" is the weasel word cowards use when they want to be on the record saying something, but don't actually want be called on the carpet for it. So whenever I see someone use the word "seem," I just assume they mean "is."

And what should we replace your use of the word "outrage" with, since you apparently don't know the meaning of the word?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Omg, Missy is Handles??

This makes the Doctor mistaking Clara for Handles in the season premiere foreshadowing, instead of just a weird joke.

And it puts Time of the Doctor in a new light, knowing that the Doctor and Handles were in a relationship. Haha.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Like who assumed she was the Master?

Maybe Osgood or Kate, showing that they're quicker on the uptake than the Doctor.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

david... posted:

Everyone's missed the obvious that Nick Frost is clearly the new Master, he's just disguised as Santa to gently caress with the Doctor.

As much as I adored Michelle Gomez.... this would be amazing.

As long as the two of them pair up in an episode.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

Is Halloween really that big a deal in the UK that they're worried a lot of kids would miss out?

Even if it's not, the show does air/have decent popularity in other countries as well.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

The stories have definitely taken on a very formulaic approach of:
1. Doctor/Clara arrive
2. Mysterious monster killing people
3. Doctor figures out twist behind monster
4. Doctor/Clara saves day

It's getting really predictable.

... you have watched Doctor Who before this season, right?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Dave is the doofy guy who was killed first.

I don't think Dave was in the episode at all.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 28, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

Hmm... what's a female nickname version of Davros?

Rosa Davies

Rosa T. Davies?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I hope Craig Ferguson is just off-screen.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Burkion posted:

Good thing Moffat doesn't have a history of sticking his fingers into various defining aspects of the Doctor across all generations and making his stuff the most important!

Or, you know, if you're not a bitter nerd you look at it as him having a history of playing with the potential of time travel and the mutability of timelines.

I couldn't care less about the stuff in Name of the Doctor or Listen... it doesn't change anything.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Also, anything that might get more casual fans to check out Genesis of the Daleks has got to be a good thing.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

TL posted:

Well, they sorta did this already in Day of the Doctor.

Yeah, except it was after a big public event specifically held to announce Capaldi as the next Doctor.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

HD DAD posted:

9x11 Heaven Sent
9x12 Hell Bent

Missy's gonna find The Satan Pit and team up with Satan, only to be shocked when he betrays her.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

A new episode came out and this thread is on the third page with zero new posts?

Why would a new episode impact the number of spoilers being posted?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

HD DAD posted:

The Professor’s invention, The Morpheus Machine, allows people who use it to get enough rest in five minutes of sleep to keep them working for months at a time. But has it caused a terrifying side effect?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Astroman posted:

Hopefully the entire episode will be a Day of the Master multi-Master episode where they team up and are the protagonists and the Doctor is barely in it. :allears:

The Midday of the Master.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Forktoss posted:

I can't wait for George Takei's guest appearance in episode 11

It was driving me CRAZY why I was under the impression that that was a TOS episode title, so thank you, haha.

(Rifftrax riffed on that episode, so I've seen it with jokes overtop.)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Astroman posted:

Actually the one argument in the favor of Literally Tennant 2.0 is that Chibnall has spent the last few years working closely with him. :tinfoil:

I'd much rather have that argument be used in favour of Olivia Colman.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Or Look Around You!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Actually yeah, I can kinda see that.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

HERAK posted:

But while we are speculating what about Tatiana Maslany, good actor already worked with part of the BBC and is a pretty big contrast to Capaldi.

I think she'd be a great choice, but I'm Canadian, so I'm probably biased. :canada:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He played William Hartnell not The Doctor

He played both. Maybe you should rewatch it.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

No, he doesn't. He plays Hartnell playing the Doctor, yes, but there's no scene in it that has Doctor Who being anything other than fictional.

Hey, guess what, Doctor Who is fictional no matter what context people are performing him in.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Let's see how many different ways Bicyclops can repeat the same dumb thing in different phrasings.

Edit: I do apologize for this in retrospect, I got frustrated with the argument as a whole and took it out on Bicyclops.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 25, 2017

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Let's see how many times you can remind us all that you're so incredibly superior for having a different opinion

No, I'm just tired of an argument that comes back to the exact same point over and over and over again. Yes, we get it, it's Hartnell's Doctor. Other people just don't care. As Gaz-L expressed a page ago.

It's no different from people complaining about the Doctor changing to a woman because he's always been a man. Saying the same point in different ways won't make a difference.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

This is kind of what I'm saying, like this isn't recasting James Bond, it's recasting "Sean Connery as James Bond." It's not recasting Batman, it's recasting "Val Kilmer as Batman." It'd be like if they'd asked Chris Pine to "do William Shatner."

Here's why none of those comparisons work, though.... Sean Connery as James Bond never had a crossover episode with the other James Bonds. He is not established in-universe as a separate character who could show up at any time via time travel. Same with Batman.

(It probably could work in Star Trek, and all of those characters already ARE playing those original portrayals, despite many of the cast still being alive. Chris Pine IS doing William Shatner just as much as David Bradley is doing Hartnell. And if you don't think that Karl Urban is doing a DeForrest Kelley portrayal, I don't know what to say.)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Now that I think about it, if someone made a movie that was a crossover between the different James Bonds and tried to explain the different versions... I would be so down to watch that.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I'd actually disagree about Pine (until Beyond, it felt like he was doing the caricature that cultural osmosis would have you BELIEVE Kirk was as played by Shatner), but Urban is absolutely doing Kelley. And I think Quinto thinks he's doing Nimoy, but it doesn't always read.

Oh no, I agree that they're not, like, impersonations of the roles, but neither is David Bradley's portrayal, from what we've seen. In both cases they seem to be taking the source material and making it somewhat their own.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Riptor posted:

the 13th doctor shouldve been an ood and no one can convince me otherwise

but a lady ood

See, now this is an opinion! Why can't you all be more like Riptor?

• Locked thread