Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qntm
Jun 17, 2009

EvilHawk posted:

The thing about the Doctor's age is that there is literally no way to track it. First, you've got the problem of whether he tracks it in human (i.e. Earth) years, or in Gallifrey rotations, which presumably wouldn't be the same. Second, he spends half his time in the TARDIS; who knows how long time passes in there. Finally, what happens when he goes to other worlds? Again, the rotations aren't going to be the same, so he'd have to have some way of independently keep track of how many Earth/Gallifrey/whatever years have passed, which we have never seen.

What I'm saying is the Doctor is exactly as young or as old as he wants to be. Unless there is some expiration date for Time Lords it'll never be an issue for him.

I choose to believe that sometime during the Time War the Doctor went "Screw it! I've lost count. I can't keep track anymore and I can't be bothered to work it out. I'm nine hundred. I'm arbitrarily starting over at nine hundred, which I know is too low, but I don't care. And there are no Time Lords left to call me out on it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
And the 13-regeneration rule will definitely come up again because it has immense storytelling possibilities.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

Uh-oh.

@DrWhoOnline

"It's the end... But the moment has been prepared for" Keep your eyes and ears peeled in the next few hours folks! ;)

Please don't be Matt going please don't be Matt going, etc.

I would be 100% down for (1) having this be the last adventure of the Eleventh Doctor before his regeneration and then (2) constantly bringing Smith back for multi-Doctor adventures for, like, the next ten seasons.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Gaiman as show-runner? :allears:

RTD as show-runner.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

"Controversial" doesn't sound good.

I swear, if they go back in time to 1963 and have the Doctor assassinate Kennedy :argh:

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

James R posted:

I am likely entirely wrong.. but I have this nagging sneaky suspicion in the back of my head that Tennant could be making a return. You notice how there is literally nothing on that possibility being banded about? It's not beyond the realms of possibility.

This was one of my two wildcard guesses. The other was Ant and Dec. Both of them.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
So: Smith and Tennant compare sonic screwdrivers. And Smith's is bigger.

I hope this is as much fun as the trailer.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Astroman posted:

It's an interesting way to do things, and I wonder if it didn't really stem as a workaround because Eccleston bailed. Moffat clearly wanted to do something around The Time War, and he probably approached Eccleston for a Three Doctors style episode where they'd team up and put 9's demons to rest. Probably wrote a cracking script and was really attached to it and approached Eccleston who said "thanks but no thanks."

So he had to rejigger it. I suppose he could have made 8 the one who fought in the war, but quite frankly I like it better this way. It preserves his character a bit as being the optimistic one that sees the best in everyone and is ever hopeful and out for adventure.

It's weird how the necessities of the real world sometimes cause a story to write itself. In retrospect it's almost head-slappingly obvious. Nine can't have fought in the war. For it to be Eight could stain that Doctor's character unnecessarily. Solution: a secret regeneration?! Totally elegant, and at the same time, storytelling dynamite.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Rhyno posted:

We've known since like 15 minutes into the new series that Nine didn't fight in the war, he sees himself for the first time in the mirror in Rose's apartment.

That's kind of what I meant. Although, it would be infinitely easier to write around that than Ecclestone's absence.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

marktheando posted:

Are you Steven Moffat's agent or something? It's not elegant at all to introduce something from out of the blue that contradicts stuff that has long been established.

Like what?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Yes, why hasn't the secret regeneration shown up in the numbering of the Doctors before?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Redemption, or some idiotic retcon which retroactively relieves him of blame. Hopefully the first one!

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Davros1 posted:

I could totally see Moffat doing something like that.

Ohhhhh, I bet that's why John Hurt is barely shown in that minisode. Because then you can show both John Hurt and Christopher Ecclestone to the same extent. You see some hands, a body double, a blurry face reflected in armour, a different phrase... and in both cases you need hardly any cooperation from the actors other than a grudging nod.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Paul McGann regenerates into Tom Baker, time is ruined, the fifth to eleventh Doctors are erased from existence, TO BE CONTINUED

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Astroman posted:

WE WILL EX-TER-MIN-ATE SAN-TA! CHRIST-MAS IS CAN-CELLED!

Could it be? Is Doctor Who finally going to do an episode in which Daleks learn the true meaning of Christmas?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
The Doctor travels to a parallel universe where his adventures are serialised in the form of a popular television show! :geno:

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

vegetables posted:

Nine somehow has 100 years of pre-Rose travels as of Day of the Doctor; he's one mirror-based retcon away from being in a similar boat.

I thought it was consensus that Nine had some solo adventures between disappearing and reappearing at the very tail end of Rose. In particular, visiting the Kennedy assassination, Krakatoa, and preventing some people from boarding the Titanic, as seen earlier in the same episode. You could easily fit a century of shenanigans in there, all of it technically "before" Rose joins as a companion.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Cruel Rose posted:

Incoming Captain Scarlet crossover.

There's already that flying Skybase thing, right?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
It's sort of hilarious to me that the Time War would have an "opening shot". Even actual wars usually have insanely complex networks of causes, and they don't even muck about with causality.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Time War was caused by the Time Lords, the Daleks, three other events which all caused each other, and also, almost certainly, by the Time War.

qntm fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 13, 2014

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

That's filming for episode 07 called Kill the Moon. My prediction is that they return to the library to free River but the moon has gone insane and they join a rebellion to shut it down.

I'm down for anything involving Colin Salmon.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Mark Gatiss is surely the heir apparent given how long he's been writing scripts for Who and collaborating with Moffat on Sherlock. That's not to say I want him to be, or that I think he deserves it, because

Bown posted:

Gatiss is the most generic writer Who has had since returning and none of his episodes have breached 'passable'.

At least Moffat took the seat on the basis of a history of outstanding quality episodes.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

That's the other half of being a professional actor. The first half is being good on-screen. The other half is knowing how to make even the worst projects sound amazing.

Well on that level, at least, Capaldi is killing it.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

That may well be the case - there's precedent in Moffat's run, at least. Matt Smith was doing a pretty overt Tennant impression in his first episode, and was certainly playing it completely differently by The Beast Below.

The weird thing is that those episodes were shot out of sequence. The Eleventh Hour, for example, was the fifth full episode that Smith shot. If he came off as Tennant-ish, it certainly wasn't because he hadn't "found" the character yet.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Burkion posted:

I mean I know River, like, mutated from a psychopath out to kill the Doctor to a psychopath out to gently caress the Doctor, and I guess that's LIKE character development, but really how much does Amy change from start to finish, besides puberty?

This is searingly obvious in retrospect, but it's inordinately difficult to do character development for a character who constantly pops up out of chronological order and who, in more than half of her appearances, is concealing her past, pretending to be surprised by things which she already knows, or just lying. I wonder how Alex Kingston ever put up with it.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

thexerox123 posted:

Because if you're making a Robin Hood-based story, obviously there are going to be references to the original story? You might as well be saying, "Pfft, they have some guy stealing from the rich and giving to the poor, what a cliche!"

Note: I haven't seen the episode and it probably is terrible and derivative. I just think that if you're doing a Robin Hood story to begin with, you're going to get those references.

There is no "the original story" of Robin Hood. The arrow-splitting thing is from Errol Flynn's version.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

thexerox123 posted:

The arrow splitting didn't originate in Errol Flynn's version, though, here's part of a ballad from the 17th or 18th century

I stand corrected, cool!

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Xibanya posted:

Why don't they call him 2.1.0?

Rose's love doll can be 1.10.1

Peter Capaldi is the Second First Doctor.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
People were also arguing that the time on Amy's alarm clock being set to AM, not PM was significant, and that came to nothing. At the end of the day any continuity error can in theory be a critical plot point.

Which is why I want the Doctor to battle a villainous race of sentient continuity errors.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Cleretic posted:

four Torchwood episodes; I don't know if they were good ones

I think, in your heart, you do.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Doctor Who story title quality is not a good predictor of Doctor Who story quality.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Having re-read all the old serial titles and episode titles from the revived series, I want to edit my earlier statement.

qntm posted:

Doctor Who story title quality is not [...] good [...]

Show's got nothing on the original series of Star Trek.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
He has the best hair of any Doctor, except possibly John Hurt.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Loving the music.

E: Going on past performance the music is probably from a completely different place and totally unrelated to Murray Gold's score for the series, so, never mind?

qntm fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 10, 2015

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
That is exactly what they did with River Song.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Stay tuned for the astounding series finale in which Rigsy regenerates into Clara.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

DirtyRobot posted:

Has River Song seen 12?

She claims to know "all his faces", but I've always kind of disliked that because it would mean she knows significantly more about the Doctor than we do, or even he does. A little bit too magical and special.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Dabir posted:

Look they can't just call every episode 'Terror of the Bog-Brush'.

One would be a start :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Apparently Class isn't actually for kids. It just happens to be set in a school.

Of all the dumb ideas this franchise has had, this one's about in the middle.

• Locked thread