Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Fuzz posted:

You guys still playing this? Been on the last few days and no one else is. :smith:

Oh I see that's still going on. "Hey guys everyone join the league!"

(Cut to logging on and seeing zero people on every time for two weeks).

We need to schedule some loving events I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's hypocritical of me to bitch since I've logged on once in the last two weeks, but yeah. This goon league thing is currently not working out. Do people get on Mumble a lot?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Well I've mentioned before I've never done a PUG that could do anything past Supergirl in FoS, so maybe an actual league of people who have the CR is the ticket.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Why isn't there a Mumble link in the OP?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

tadashi posted:

I played DCUO for the first time last night. I don't know how anyone could hate a free game with as many options for play styles as DCUO seems to have. Are there certain weapon styles that are better for certain roles than others? It seems like I keep seeing guides that indicate that some weapons give better bonuses depending on the role you're playing in a group? It looks like you can unlock different weapons on the same characters as you level up?

Your weapon choice is not super-important (it won't make or break your character), and you should ultimately go with the weapon you most enjoy using.

You will eventually have the skill points to unlock most or all of the weapons. This allows you to pick up all the passive bonuses on a weapon tree that would help your character (some weapons have better bonuses for a specific role). This also increases the amount of weapon drops you can roll need on, for when a weapon with good stats drops.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Maybe if the high-level game didn't rely on clipping animations and other pro-click DOTA bullshit that is not explained anywhere in the game but is tacitly assumed you know about already, much like the rest of the game's mechanics.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I only just realized I misread the question earlier.

Skill points are GOING to get easier to get as apparently an upcoming feature is "letting you share feats across your alts if one has it at ??? cost/currency", but for now a lot of it comes from a) speed feats b) PvP (holy poo poo PvP is a huge amount of skill points if you can get into it) and c) raiding, where completing something's a feat and most bosses have one or more feats associated with them.

Styles, too, are huge, but have fun with THAT if you're worried about grind. Although the new loot system helps a TON for that.

I'll admit it's been a while since I've played, but one of the reasons I've never bothered with an alt past low teens in level was because repeating all those loving feats and collections is insanely boring.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

malhavok posted:

Any reason to play villains now that they don't dominate pvp?

You don't have to listen to Oracle or Superman

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Steam launcher has been bugged for a while for a lot of people. Probably the best thing to do is to download it from their site without Steam. This is what fixed it for me as far as I can remember.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

mastajake posted:

Ugh you're the worst. Well, as long as you don't turn into the level 30 that preys on lowbies.

What you do is prey on lowbies in order that they send someone after you. Then you are both tanks and agree to disagree when you find that you can't kill each other.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Forbes' work on the VA is the best of any character, flat-out.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

mastajake posted:

I almost wish there was a real drawback to Conttoller role though, because I'll be in it for soloing because it's fantastic crowd control. But then I will get in a group and have to switch to combat role so people don't yell at me for not constantly spamming the power button.

Wouldn't it be incredible if the game

A) Taught people how controllers are supposed to work or really the assumptions behind the game's combat

B) Didn't make power generation a thing that only some controller powers do

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WarLocke posted:

C) Was built around Controllers actually controlling instead of being power batteries

You can kinda do OK in my experience if you don't play assuming that you are going to get power-batteried. People really overlook what they are supposed to do with their weapons, which is understandable, because they're not motherfucking super powers. So what happens is you "learn" that you should burn your entire power supply immediately in every battle.

I had to learn how to play fire tank on the message boards. The game really skimps on teaching you any concepts and assumes you have played WoW/will learn actual game-play on the Internet.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

mastajake posted:

https://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/next-for-dcuo-feat-unlocking.189594/

Thank goodness. My altitis will be less painful now that feats can be unlocked across characters. Wish they would do the same for Investigations/Briefings though.

quote:

Feat Unlocking is a system that will allow you to use Replay Badges to unlock feats you have already earned on your other characters.

This is still dumb. "You don't have to do mind-numbingly boring poo poo" shouldn't be a paid feature. But at least it's something. Also, loving lol:

quote:

Not to bad, if you have 150sp and wanna bring your alt up it will be like 45$

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WarLocke posted:

Here's the money question: Is there a red construct weapon style pack in the shop? Because I would totally need construct weapons for ~my immersion~

There's actually been a red set for a long time.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Weapon skins don't change the effects, so energy guns shoot bullets etc.

Your coloration does change some effects, though.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

whatspeakyou posted:

Yep, gently caress them. I think clipping is retarded anyways, so I'd be happy to not do it anymore.

EDIT: Got all the pieces of the new Rage set except for the boots (shoulders not shown here because they look like poo poo):

Mmm. Dat rubber.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

mastajake posted:

The game is very friendly to free-to-play players as mostly you just miss out on an unlimited bank supply and lockboxes. It's not exceptionally friendly to new players though, as you aren't told practically anything relevant.

These days on free mode you are missing a few power sets and the majority of the late game. That's OK though, because you feel like you are not getting what you want out of the game after you hit 30 and do that content a little, you should know that your opinion is unlikely to improve if you spend money.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ice tanks are widely considered the easy-mode tanks but I don't know where earth tanks (or any further tank powersets I'm forgetting) figure in.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I wouldn't say there's a really an outright bad combo in this game, though some tryhards might be inclined to disagree. It's mostly what you enjoy, rather than what's best.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Goon clan presence has historically been stone dead for this game, no matter what gets said in the thread by people who insist that they're on all the time or that the clan is active.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

TheTarrasque posted:

Looks like. I'll probably come back and level a villain in a while. It surprised me when I hit the level cap so quickly.

Most of the game happens well after the level cap.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The goon presence in DCUO has historically been very poor, you're better off joining a real guild.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Whenever I tried anything that wasn't flight I had less fun.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jesus Christ who cares

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

That might actually get me going again, who knows.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Steve Vader posted:

This could be interesting. I got one guy to Level 30 and then kinda felt like I didn't have anything interesting to do. I kept getting squashed by all those team-up events you're supposed to try and do, and running around collecting those fragment things to then go to the little factories and build boring things seemed... well, boring. You had to pay for all the episode content and I didn't want to do that... I didn't really understand the build-out/build-up process, I guess, or whatever that machine in my apartment was supposed to be for, bla bla I'm not an MMORPG guy usually, but I like DC stuff.

Maybe if I bump Mr. Fight all the way to 100, things will look a little different.

That's where a lot of people die out in this game, because they constructed the progression poorly. You need little or no knowledge of how anything works before 30, and then suddenly blocking, close teamwork, and proper combos become very important.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Frankly, I feel like the only person playing this game that dressed for success.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

As far as weaponry, I enjoy the staff on my current guy because it looks cool and it is very easy to do stuns with it. Hand blast plays really fun and is powerful.

JuffoWup posted:

I enjoyed bow when I played because of the air juggling.

Looking at that high level stats revamp post, am I wrong in understanding that sticking to a single weapon will be possible after it is done? I know one of the issues that bothered me was that it was to your detriment to not tap into 2-3 other weapons besides the one you started with.

The reason you pick other weapons is not to take them, but to take advantageous passive bonuses, which is still a thing.

Loot drops have been greatly liberalized, such that you can now pick out of a selection of drops and not worry about rolling on the same loving vendor trash run after run. It only took me about an hour of play to go from CR 100 to CR 105 (i.e. got six equipment drops). Previous to this new system, that was quite difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's not a game where you can gently caress up too badly by just doing whatever seems cool. I encourage you to test weapons out until you find one that you like the combos for.

• Locked thread