Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

So I was at a bar last night and all of the cocktail specials were Venture themed. The Red Moco Cooler (khalua, chocolate syrup, grenadine, something else) was appropriately gross. The owner was psyched I got the joke and told me they're doing a premiere party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

It's Pine Box Rock Shop in Bushwick and I want to get the Suffering Bastard next time.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Cloks posted:

My perfect introductory episode is "Victor Echo November". If Venture Brothers is a show about failure then this is the thesis statement, a simple dinner where nobody really gets what they want. You don't need to know the characters coming in and because they're established at that point you become familiar with them through a few quick lines. Plus, you get to be a popular idiot.

Really? That episode is one of the hardest to understand because you basically have to explain everyone's backstories to get their motivations.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

It's "sic semper tyrannis", you just said "always faithful terrible lizard".

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

They picked the 92-seat Nitehawk too. That poo poo sells out for normal movies regularly.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

door Door door posted:

At first I was a little annoyed at Aziz because he has a very distinctive voice and it was very jarring to hear it in Venture Bros, but that line made it totally worth it.

Martin and Thalia totally made this episode and I'm a little disappointed that they porbably won't be coming back.

"Martin.... I feel that something untoward has happened... ah-whaaaaaaaat was it?"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Emerson Cod posted:

One of the best jokes of this episode was that the Monarch and 21 were both huge Game of Thrones fans and watched it all the time together.

The first episode of GoT didn't air until 5 months after Operation P.R.O.M., which this episode picks up right after.

Don't be insufferable about this.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Djarum posted:

Yeah but Adventure Time doesn't have two guys basically doing everything either. Doc and Jackson are insane basically.

Yeah Adventure Time has a dozen teams doing fifteen minute episodes in a much simpler animation style.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

And best of all, they won't listen to a single one of your chair suggestions.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I bought it on iTunes.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Install Gentoo posted:

Well the thing is, Youtube provides much better ad revenue for big companies running their shows on it these days. Back in 2009/2010 when the last season aired, there was a lot less there and also Youtube's HD setup was still kind of wonky.

What's the payout like? I'm sure it's worse than iTunes, but how does it stack up to cable dollars?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Williams Street is in Georgia, Astro Base Go is in Manhattan somewhere.

Also, I just got that Hunter telling Treister not to kill himself and shoot out of a cannon is exactly what Hunter S. Thompson did.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

You realize people who obsess over and debate horrible minutiae of TV shows are the people being made fun of right?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

WAR FOOT posted:

I think the most enjoyable callback in this episode was seeing that Venturestien's No. 2 was Sunny, the not-Shaggy.

I agree.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Action Tortoise posted:

Since Dean is younger

By four minutes.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Nah, he told him to run away. Seems like he didn't want to kill him.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

RandallODim posted:

Having just rewatched the episode, it was definitely just a badly phrased line. The lines are supposed to parse as "He was a henchman for some prick in a butterfly costume! Two [henchmen] actually!" Because Venturestein was technically two henchmen, who are now one Venturestein.

This is the joke.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

"You know what he called me when he stormed out today? A honkey!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Action Tortoise posted:

I think it's on a subway poster in "Twenty Years to Midnight."

Recoil in terror from the Death's Head Panoply!

It's the second Killenger episode.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

And dermott is one too, all kinds of Venture Brothers!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

There's no proof they're even listed as heroes, though. Saint Cloud just threw a briefcase full of money at the problem to make it disappear.

I thought they registered?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

thrakkorzog posted:

Yeah, I figured it was sort of how Luke could carry on a conversation with R2 by the time they hit Dagobah. Spend enough time around a robot speaking in beeps and boops, I guess you get a pretty good idea of what they're saying.

I'm surprised nobody else pointed out that that they were going to the Dunwich Asylum though.

Nah, R2's beeps came up as text in the XWing.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

P spoilery if you couldn't guess.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

One of the best parts of this episode was Hank flipping the table when the riot starts.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Danzou posted:

In "Assisted Suicide", there's the scenes with The Rusty's Id and its harem. Makes it likely it's someone we've met (Dr. Girlfriend being my favorite outside chance).

Of course, they'll just as likely have a more interesting idea. I do think they have a mom, though - I don't think they're clones or test tube babies. Ben says about as much in the Halloween special.

"What's your sleep number?"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Stop overthinking it.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Same episode.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

They wanted identities of the other Council members, too.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Doctor Candiru posted:

One way to interpret it, though, is that the show is about failure and stupidity -- two things that men are much, much better at than women, so naturally, there won't be as many women. Pretty much all of the women in the show, except for a couple, are much smarter, more well-adjusted, and just better all-around than the men, who are almost universally terrible.

What kind of creepy self-deprecating white knight are you? Stop posting.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

RandallODim posted:

I've been wondering how they'll deal with that on the DVDs. If there's anything I assume they'll just an intercard or something inserted to say "Hey, the Halloween Episode happens now. Go watch it if you haven't, this episode will still be here when you come back."

That seems unnecessary.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

No, that's Hatred. He puts on the Guild ring and everything.
E: Also in the credits as Sgt. Haine.

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jul 23, 2013

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I like watching without bleeps because The Monarch says gently caress in the most hilarious way.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Ugh I saw Doc Hammer on the street last night, but some mouthbreather had accosted him and was awkwardly forcing him to answer questions about the show.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

It's spinach, filo dough, and fluffy eggs. What's not to love?

Don't forget butter, looooooooots of butter.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Is there no cheese in it?

Yeah, buttloads of feta.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Hahaha, is that fishmech from SA?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Failure is a theme, don't overthink it.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Shindragon posted:

That indeed it did but I guess the little stinger at the end did raise my eyebrow a bit.

Still his reveal and it was like son of a bitch.

I do like how both writers answered the question of the soverign not actual being bowie and it's just a shapeshifter in one of their latest cons after season 5 ended.

It was along of the lines of don't believe everything you hear in that cartoon. It might just be a rumor and then made a joke about being meta about making rumors inside the cartoon. :v:

I hope it's a clue that they got Bowie to do voice work on the new season.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Frostwerks posted:

I don't remember for example the apparatus.

I had to look it up, too. It's in Showdown at Cremation Creek I, a little more than halfway in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

You chould get an oil painters on alibaba to make a copy.