Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Sash! posted:

I was there from the Terrible Secret of Turtle Bay and rode that Hulk all the way to the end.

18 years ago!

Same here. When a friend and I learned another friend had never seen it we showed it to him and he loved it. We would binge episodes and when the Season 2 finale hit we didn't immediately start Season 3. He was wondering why and we tried to explain to him how maddening it was that there was a 6(?) year gap with that cliffhanger but he only has to wait a few minutes to show him the tiniest taste of what it means to be a Venture Bros fan.

I love Doc and Jackson but those mother fuckers take way too long to make new episodes even if the quality makes up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

October 2006 to June 2008 is definitely not a 6 year gap.

That's what it felt like at least.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Everybody who has the DVDs should do themselves a favor and listen to the commentary tracks. Doc and Jackson are insane people and will sometimes talk about the show in between talking about their day, masterbation habits as a child, or something that is only tangentially related ro the show.

Edit: I'm pretty sure in the commentary Doc menrions how the scene with the Alchemist talking about wiping his rear end with cotton balls and getting one stuck to his nose actually happened ro Doc.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 24, 2021

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

deong posted:

I wish they included an ebook. The thing is difficult to hold to read. Its amazing, but having it on my ipad for bed time reading would be aces.

loving truth. I exercise reguarly and I still had sore muscles from trying to read it like a normal book.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nilbop posted:

I don’t waste my time reading any book I couldn’t use to stun a wolverine.

Don't you mean a wereodile?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Bum Rush and Laugh Riot are the 2 that get me.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

bull3964 posted:

It's not even just that, it's also the fact that these guys are the ONLY writers for the show. So it's not just that they remember the references, they know specifically why they made the reference to begin with are intimately aware of the whole cultural experience that caused the reference to exist in the first place.

VB was pretty drat unique in this situation because when they had a callback to something they did prior, it wasn't just making a reference to that thing. It's a continuation of the reference with all the same reasoning and history which can't be replicated by a different set of writers riffing off the writing room of 3 seasons ago.

Also, the fact that they wrote jokes to make themselves laugh. It wasn't to target a specific audience, they didn't even try to EXPLAIN them to an audience. It made them laugh, it hit the script, you have to mine the gold yourself.

This does hit the nail on the head. One of my favorite lines is when the family is on the run from assassins and go to Hunter for advice. He has the line "You call parking a supersonice jet in front of a titty bar inconsipicuous?! Who taught you how to be a spy loving GALLAGHER?!" That Gallager reference slayed me and I hadn't thought of that guy in years. That line runs through my head anytime I see some stupid spy thing in anything.

I'm pretty sure the Spanakopita episode came entirely from them thinking its a fun word ro say and yelling it at each other for months while at the Astrobase. These guys are immature children and its great.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Brock interacting with sasquatch.

You never told me sasquatch was a .. dude

Sasquatch doesn't have anything you haven't seen before.

Sasquatch is something I've never seen before!

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

pnumoman posted:

Excuse you, without St cloud we wouldn't have the "eat the pennies, quiz boy" scene. And just imagine living in a world without it

Another joke that was just Doc and Jackson yelling at each other for weeks at a time while at the Astrobase. They are such children and I love it.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

The pilot is rough but it has its moments like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kmFQmzBwtU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I wear the OSI shirt constantly. Even cut the sleeves off so its easier to work out in. Its just too perfect.

I'll have to retire the Spanakopita one soon because its almost worn out.

Edit: I forgot about the Shallow Gravy shirt. That's another I wear all the time.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 13, 2021

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

deong posted:

Be sure to grab the ebook as well for casual reading. Its massive and a bit difficult to read.

Whenever I picked it up I couldn't stop thinking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX0MB7pJtKs

Its perfect for Venture lore and braining an intruder!

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

tarlibone posted:

Thanks! No fad diet, just counting calories, carbs (but not too Adkins or keto levels; more of a classic diabetic diet), and working out. Took a good while to lose it, but since it wasn't rapid, I've had a better time keeping it off.

And, on that note,

I'm not as big a fan of velour as you are, Brannigan. But, for my last super-heavy Halloween, I made a Henchman 21 costume. I could now pull of Henchman 24!

You can still do henchman 21 after losing the weight as long as you get the "Hench 4 Life" tatoo and say its after 24's death.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I think its mentioned in the books and on a commentary track that whenever Doc would draw Trianna he had to be actively telling himself to not make her sexy since that's what he defaulted to. I'm pretty sure he has mentioned off hand that when he isn't working on the Venture Brothers he gets paid to draw sexy women.

Whether he defaulted to drawing women sexy because that's just what he naturally draws or because he got paid to do it for so long feels like a chicken or egg which came first argument.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I assume they talk about masturbation constantly since everytime a dvd comes out at least 1 episode's commentary track will be just masturbation talk. It truly is impressive how little they talk about the show during those things.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

Bushworld Adventures is funnier than actual Rick and Morty.

Truth and anybody who likes Bushworld Adventures needs to watch Smiling Friends. I'm pretty sure its by the same guys and its one of the funniest shows I've seen.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Matt Stone and Ttey Parker showed you fan make high quality comedy using just puppets.

Or course they also said it was the worst experience of their life and they would never touch a puppet again.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Brock was always a slasher movie villian. First episode he gets hit with a truck and buried alive but comes back to deliver one of the greatest lines in the series before brutally killing a poo poo load of henchman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdgD8OP04RE

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I think Brock uses a knife because think how boring the fights would be if he used a gun. Dude wanted to always feel like there was SOME challenge, you know?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

"Who taught you how to be a spy, loving GALLAGHER!!" is always bouncing around in my skull, especially when I see someone try to be sneaky in the dumbest way.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nilbop posted:

I ... Treister's son was in the show?

If I remember right it was supposed to be just a throwaway name they took from a neighbor one of them had as kids but as usual with this show they decided to make it into something bigger later.

Unrelated but one of the things I love about this show is the on purpose plotholes. The big one I remember is Billy's hand and eye because even though they could have filled that in during early elisodes they felt they couldn't do it justice and waitied.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Probably the usual Captain America stuff with the strength, stamina and preventing age.

Hatred sadly got shafted as I don't think it did well in the benefits.

Don't forget the boobs.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

We have flashes from all across the series that show that Doc is actually capable of being the superscientist the world expected him to be. He's just so hosed up by what that life has already done to him that he can't apply himself.

Of course most of the stuff he does invent is like super evil, like the murdered orphan machine or the super-roofy that makes people into praying mantis'. Stuff like the ORB episode and some of the later seasons show him to be trying to be a good guy most of the time. But still, murdered orphan machine and all.

Hey, its not like he used the whole orphan.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Also, I’m not sure they every explicitly said that he had cancer. Only that he was dying. I kinda just saw it as his whole body just giving up and shutting down.

He had Anime Wasting Disease. Its a real tragedy when that happens.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Comrade Quack posted:

R.I.P. King Gorilla

One of my favorite gags is The Monarch at his birthday party just muttering over and over again "I didn't know." God drat is that reveal brutal, and I love it.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

TK-42-1 posted:

$300 hachi machi. I do t remember what I spent on the v bros shirts. It’d be nice if we could reorder some at some point. My extra color shirt is super faded.

Same. My Spanakpopita shirt is faded and beat to hell but my Shallow Gravy and OSI shirts are still going strong even though I cut off the sleeves and wear them constantly. Would be nice to get a replacement or two.

I don't wear the others anymore but I should cut off the sleeves and wear some of them too. I just can't wear them with sleeves because they were not designed with fit and muscular dudes in mind. Shocking, I know.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I thought Sears was the best example of "was bought out and then ran head first into the ground." It was full of good capitalism stuff like having departments in the same store compete with each other for money.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

Ghosts has some all time great bits in it. and it introduced Pirate.

One of my favorite clips in the whole show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBQZ9wCNx9Y

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

My favorite part of 24 dying was that season's commentary. I think it was Doc who would say at the start of every episode "24 dies at the end" because a fan had gotten angry at them at a con because they watched a season with the commentary before without and he was spoiled on some things.

Also them laughing because people still didn't believe 24 was dead. poo poo like "Of course he's loving dead! We blew him up and had his flaming head fall in 21's lap! What more do you people need?!"

God, I'll miss their episode commentaries the most.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

pixaal posted:

:filez: I love how they always seem surprised and like oh hey we need to do commentary? We'll we're doing this at 2AM and doing the whole season in one sitting because this is due in 8 hours. Then you get "This is from the future! We need to clarify this"

I think all the ambient city noise in the background is great too. I'll always laugh when both the show and their own voices are drowned out by cars honking or just driving by.

I think for Season 2 they didn't have any actual DVDs of their show to commentate on so they had to open a ceremonial DVD of some kind that had lovely or no audio in places and the video quality was poo poo. I think it might have also not had footage for the ending 10 minutes of an episode so they just talked about bullshit while staring at a black screen.

This all sounds like parody and its great.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Sash! posted:

My theory is spores.

They are self-aware, mobile fungus. They don't just live in mushrooms. Those mushrooms are part of their lifecycle.

This made me think that if they are spores then maybe a Smurf is a juvenile WH40k Ork.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I was one of those people that fell for the joke on the commentary track for that episode where they said they made a Part 1 but hid it somewhere on the DVD.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

TK-42-1 posted:

Did they do commentary for season 6 and 7? I found a digital copy with commentary for 1-5 and i’m incredibly happy for it.

They did. Its on the pysical blu-rays that I have. I haven't listened to them as often as I did the older ones, partly because my computer doesn't have a Blu-Ray disc reader.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

tarlibone posted:

BILLY (from inside the bag): Why can't I hear them?
RED MANTLE: Because you are SANE!

One of the funnest lines in the show's run.

I just love they had an important character spend the entire episode in a bag.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I'm still sad I never got my Venture Brothers beach towel because I didn't realize you were supposed to redeem your Hank Bucks.

At least I think it was a towel, it might have been something else.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

mutantIke posted:

(S4E9) 21 is the coolest. Would easily watch a spinoff series where he goes on Haunted Guy Adventures or whatever

2 ton 21 really has the best arc in this series. From a disposable henchman to an incredibly competant #2. I guess I'll spoil this because i don't remember if you've seen this The scene where he is able to fight back against Brock was such a great moment for his character.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I love that they still have never given an answer for why The Monarch hates Dr. Venture.

At this point I assume even The Monarch doesn't remember.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Did they really pull the Community D&D episode? No way.

At the very least its not on Netflix.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

The Albino Code....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I wear the Shallow Gravy, OSI, and Spanakopita shirt on a regular basis. The Spanakopita one is the worse for wear since I wore it while volunteering at Habitat for Humanity. Otherwise the other 2 look great even after 100s of washes.