Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Go, Team Venture! Can't wait for some more Venture Bros episodes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wasn't Saint Cloud the guy in "Tag Sale, you're it!" who got all excited when he found a box of girly mags?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Venture Bros is made by a real-life Doctor Venture; procrastinate for ever and ever but then create something that's actually pretty glorious

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

New Season 6 trailer was pretty cool, lots of interesting flavor text if you're paying attention. Featuring my two favorite characters was a bonus

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Based on this season, my hypothesis is that the original Blue Morpho was the one who killed Dr Venture Sr. Kano either didn't stop him, or was the one to actually do the murder, which is why he takes his vow of silence. The Blue Morpho retrieved the orb for the guild and replaced it with the broken thing that Rusty finds later.

And then how I would like to see the season end: Dr Mrs The Monarch will discover that The Monarch is also The Blue Morpho, and she'll basically be all "Why didn't you just tell me sooner?" Since the original Blue Morpho was The Monarch's dad, DMTM will use some guild legalese to explain that The Monarch has a generational blood feud, giving him priority arching rights as The Monarch; he can safely retire the Blue Morpho personality. Ending scene would be Wide Whale learning that it was The Monarch who killed his brother, Dr Dugong.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ohtsam posted:

But silence was his penance and he was silent already when working for dr. venture which makes it more likely it was the Morpho

Yeah, it would make more sense then that the "great man" that Kano took from the world was the Blue Morpho, which is why he has his vow of silence while being on Team Venture. I'm guessing it was an accident (the plane crash)

I like the Blue Morpho = Vendata theory

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I was rewatching Tanks for Nuthin' just now and decided to screengrab the little screen that pops up when Think Tank looks at Brock:

What I found interesting was the list of nicknames at the bottom of the screen. Not only are all of these in a database somewhere, but they're mostly names that I recognize as other OSI characters using. At first I assumed it was Shore Leave entering these names. Shore Leave has definitely used Brock of Ages, Brocodile, Block Lobster, and Brock Ness Monster. Brock was Agent Topanga Lawrence at the OSI/Sphinx/GCI summit back when Agent Zero was kidnapping people, so Shore Leave probably wouldn't have known about that one (since he was kidnapped at the time). But Hunter would have

Jesus Tralfaz was the name on the ID card that he gave to that cop right after he killed that Batman-loving assassin, right after Rusty found the orb. I'm pretty certain that Hunter gave him that ID in the strip club.

The most incriminating one is "Babe Ruthless", which Hunter used during the Sphinx reveal to Brock.

So I think Hunter probably inserted most of the aliases into the OSI database, which is hilarious.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

I was a little surprised to see Rusty working on this, since "I am done with all your poo poo" is his normal reaction to Guild nonsense, to the point that he isn't even afraid of them any longer, so it was nice to see that "being done with all this poo poo" was the skill that ultimately made him useful.

Nah, last season he was calling "the guild hotline" and working with the guild and OSI to catch the blue morpho, even if he was sometimes being a grump about it

Plus it feeds into Rusty's ego, of course he'd be into that!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shindragon posted:

Oh wow I forgot about that. Anyways great episode. I wonder if Jonas had anything to do with keeping Ben outside of Venture compound. Rusty being a clone makes sense seeing as JJ was the perfect clone of Jonas. Good to see Dermott back and hey a good excuse for him to show up more often cuz he’s OSI. I also agreed that Rusty was great at calling out the Guild and OSI on their bullshit. I can’t wait to see what they do next ep.

probably not, Jonas wouldn't give a poo poo about that sort of thing; my interpretation was that Ben just likes his privacy.

I hope you're saying that Rusty is a clone of Rusty, and not a clone of Jonas; during the Halloween episode Ben basically says that Rusty was conceived normally, but he worked with Jonas on genetic engineering in order to cure the particularly big boo-boos that the boy adventurers got

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MadJackal posted:

This was a really hosed up episode that didn't fit the tone of the show at all.

What this episode did to Dr Mrs The Monarch went too far and the it was all a dream ending didn't make up for the plot advancement.

This was a parody a decade past it's relevancy and wildly distasteful at best.

It's important to remember that his subconscious filled in what characters were present, and he's always been very attracted to Dr Mrs The Monarch, so of course she's there as the big prize for giving up the teleporter. It doesn't say anything at all about her character, she wasn't actually there; that was all Rusty's sick delusions, which have been around since Season 1

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

honestly did not like the stinger twist about it being a simulator, felt cheap and lazy, especially for a series like this

Dude that is the worst case of intentional amnesia I've ever seen, they had an entire season where a memory wiper was the consistent solution to most of the problems

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

wasn't a fan of that back then either, I've mentioned before that Season 4 is my least favorite season and that was one of the many reasons why

well then don't be acting like "this part was all a simulation" is beneath the show somehow, that is a prime Venture Bros plot device and is no worse than constant memory wipes, having a bunch of clone slugs, and countless other deus ex machina moments. Virtual reality combined with a huge dick-sucking machine is OSI to a tee

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

TK-42-1 posted:

Are you drunk? He’s a mammal!

Several mammals lay eggs, including the platypus

e: and of course he claims to have shark DNA, and many varieties of shark lay eggs

basically my point is that he definitely laid some eggs cause that's the most hilarious option

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 4, 2018

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bobulus posted:

He seemed older at first because he was being bullied by not-Flash-Thompson, who turned out to be old enough to be faculty. In the comics, Flash and Peter Parker are the same age. So either a much older guy is randomly taunting this student (probably what the writers intended) or they're the same age and Jared has been stuck in college a long time.

brown widow basically says right away that the much older guy is actually a teacher

he also shows up later as the substitute teacher for their philosophy course, he's an athletics coach basically

that said, Jared *has* been in college for quite awhile, since he became the brown widow while working on his irradiated spider thesis. He said that that's what soured him on superscience, so presumably he started over with a different major. Dude's probably in his late 20s

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I absolutely needed this gif for another thread but I couldn't find it anywhere on the internet, so I had to make it myself. Enjoy

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

About bloody time. This show is impossible to suggest to people over here because DVD are out of print and for some alien reason they've yet to put it on Netflix.

It's on Hulu. Is that not UK-available?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Jonas didn’t have any way to age up the clone. We also don’t know that rusty was cloned more than once. From the last season they fixed some things timeline wise, but for rusty to be in college in the late 80s, he would have to have been born either in the late 60s/70s. We know also there was a preteenish rusty in the late 60s. My guess is he died and current rusty is a sole clone born in the same timeframe as Malcolm.

Dr Quinn as a kid was also preteenish at the same time as preteen Rusty, and later is the same age as Rusty in modern day. So any cloning must have taken place before then. It's more likely that Rusty is just a failed attempt by Jonas to clone himself, just the one time

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

"You abandoned me! You abandoned MY HATRED!"

Followed by the Ventures literally abandoning Hatred to the front lobby

Pope Guilty posted:

Serration is excellent for eating sausages, since the toothed edge will bite into the casing where a smooth (if sharp) edge can often just sort of smush down the casing and produce a ragged, inconsistent cut.

A very sharp knife is better for those, too; in my experience a serrated edge creates the ragged cut you've described, generally tearing at the casing, whereas an actually sharp knife will just create a nice clean cut

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jul 25, 2019

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

CubanMissile posted:

The problem with The Boys is I'm not seeing a whole lot there that wasn't already done in Powers, other similar comics, or the Venture Brothers.

It's a bit different from those (and really it has little in common with The Venture Brothers), but even if it was just treading old ground I'd still recommend it because it's well-made and entertaining, which is what really matters. If you only watch media that doesn't crib from other media then you should already be done with all media

Mraagvpeine posted:

What does The Boys have without shock value?

Strong tones of anti-corporatism and anti-evangelicalism while sort of pointing out the many hosed up things that go in in the world of professional sports, to start. Shock value is a pretty small part of the series; I'd guess an average of 1-2 moments per each 1-hour episode.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Monarch has even less in common with Jonas than Rusty does and is even more of a failure than Rusty is.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The monarch worked his way to his level 10 EMA level, Rusty just inherited his way to his. The monarch fucks up a lot but he only really kind of seemed like a failure at the start of S6 when he had just lost everything.

Pretty much none of that success is by his own hand, though. The Monarch has talented people supporting him, which is why he's a threat.

Rusty rides coat tails really hard but he also has his own successes. Who else could have imagined using part of an orphan child to power the Joy Can? And he seems to have created zombies all on his own. The walking eye is also a weirdly cool, competent creation and his failure there seemed to be in not knowing what to do with it (which maybe implies that he didn't create it and just found it in the garage or something but I don't think that the series ever comes out and confirms that)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah the fact that Dr Venture personally knows a bunch of people in the Illuminati was a clue that it was fake. There's literally no reason for Dr. Mrs. The Monarch to be there, but OSI knows that she's his type. And one of the silhouettes is just the Mexican university dean that he met in season 1 lol

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 15, 2022

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Is it possible that Killinger is canonically related to Kissinger? Or is Killinger literally Henry Kissinger and worked in the Nixon White House for awhile

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

They're great for eating sausages since the teeth make it easier to get through the casing without the risk of a less-than-perfectly-sharp knife just sort of smushing the sausage instead.

From Limb's perspective: why would you have a less-than-perfectly-sharp knife?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I frequently hear the serration line in my head when seeing a serrated knife, yes

On occasion I've also said that young people will undoubtedly taunt us because our trousers are not in style any more

Also one time when I was playing D&D I cast a sleep spell and did my best Dr. Orpheus impression while shouting "SLEEEEEEEEEEEP"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wouldn't it be a Heated Dog?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

it's a crime that there aren't more Monarch cakes in this world

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Occasionally when I have a juice box with my kid I'll say "WARNING, I am TUR-STEE, and it is fruit punch, and it is delicious"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbKIH4E8hac&t=80s

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

"If it were a woman I'd marry it."

"And I'd jeopardize our friendship by nailing your hot wife."

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Also anytime I see anything Led Zeppelin related I think of this scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b19aYhSJO40

Icarus... so uh... what are you trying to tell me here little man, that you don't like Zep?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nilbop posted:

I ... Treister's son was in the show?

Yeah before Treister even

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

What exactly does the super soldier serum do besides make pedophiles?

It was an experimental super soldier serum

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Well sure you wouldn't want to shout "YOU HAVE BLUNDERED FOR THE LAST TIME" at a bungler

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

He'd be a terrible supervillain in the same way he's a terrible superscientist: his heart isn't in it. Sure, he'd be better at making unethical gadgets and gizmos than ethical ones, but at the end of the day superscience isn't something he went into because he loves it, it's something he did to try to be like his dad. Plus, he's not in the whole hero/villain game because he wants to be, it's all due to people wanting to get at Jonas's son.

At the end of the day, Rusty would probably be best suited as just a regular guy in some crappy job that has nothing to do with living in the shadow of his father. Maybe a travel agent or something.

Rusty's successful inventions are almost always supervillian-y. They establish this in the very first episode, when he melts a little city with the Oo-Ray. He creates zombies. He creates the joy can (from an orphan). He creates roofies that also turn you into a giant insect. Killinger points Rusty toward supervillainy because he's actually an effective supervillain, completely by accident.

Is the teleporter the only invention that isn't just obviously something a supervillain would create? Maybe that's Billy and White's influence

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sokani posted:

Uh hello, Walking Eye. It has hundreds of practical applications.

Rusty didn't invent that, he has no idea what it does. Dr Venture Sr probably captured that thing from Dr. Zin back in the day

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Shrink ray too.

Rusty's father made that

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

oh it was a ray shield not a radiation shield, it was for protecting against asteroids. well nevermind, my theory that rusty accidentally killed his brother through incompetence was fun for the 5 minutes it lasted

That theory still holds since it mutated every intern working on it

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I don’t remember tbh but when dr z is recounting the time he found vendata in a dumpster it shows him in charge of an army of helpers.

Yeah he's also riding on the big drill vehicle that shows up in a few other episodes

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Phenotype posted:

Was Sears run into the ground? I thought it was a bonehead decision around the dotcom boom to focus entirely on brick and mortar stores because this online shopping thing was just a fad.

e: I bought my refrigerator from them a couple years ago cause they had the best price. Two days before it was supposed to be delivered, I got a call waking me up at 7am on a Saturday telling me that it didn't show up on the truck and it wouldn't be there on Monday. It was one of the very few times in my life that I was rude to a call center employee. :v:

Sears was run into the ground by its libertarian owner, who was such a big fan of Ayn Rand that he decided to have every division of the company compete with each other so as to demonstrate how laissez-faire capitalism always outperforms central planning, even in the context of a business. So for instance the IT department and the Human Resources department became distinct businesses, with their own presidents and boards of directors etc., and in order to get any IT work done the HR department had to draw up a contract with the IT department for an agreed upon rate, meaning the HR department kind of needs its own IT chief, its own legal team for writing said contracts, etc.

While other department stores were facing stagnation, most have managed to transition into the modern era. Places like Best Buy, Target, and Walmart demonstrate that physical spaces are still important for a lot of products, including the expensive household things like beds and appliances that Sears was known for. Sears began bleeding out when its owner decided that every division of the company should undercut and sabotage every other division

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Okay baby killer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

With a body like Arnold and a Denzel face