Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
The patch server itself is in Korea. Dunno why, it just is.

Anyway, if you just downloaded the game and are trying to patch the client for the first time (or haven't played in a very long while and are behind on client patches), try using this: http://psumods.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=211

It's a custom launcher someone made to help people use the English patch and stuff, but you don't need to use for that reason. It also will let you patch the game client through that launcher, which seems to be much more stable than the official launcher, which tends to throw HTTP errors at you every 20 or so minutes, forcing you to restart the entire patch process (minus the files it happened to grab before the error). Also, it will do things like actually display your download speed and patch progress, which the official launcher does not do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
About 7 hours from now.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
It's better this way, really. Racial abilities sound cool on paper, but they're almost impossible to balance properly.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

(some of the Beast Nanoblasts were really fun to use though. Admittedly those were the high level rare ones...)
There...were no higher level or rare nanoblasts. There were 4 options, all of which you unlocked at level 20. At higher levels, using your nanoblast actually sharply decreased your DPS potential, so...yeah. As far as SUVs go, Paradi Cataract was small potatoes compared to later ones like Ares Espada.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
The way elements work is that they add extra damage of that specific element to all attacks. For enemies that are weak (typical weaknesses are like 1.1-1.2x damage), I think the only thing that is multiplied is the extra damage. For something that is doing only 50 per hit...that might only be like 1 damage. Try testing it again with stronger attacks and on different weapons, as the red weapons give you huge damage variance.

Note: I might be completely wrong on the way the element stuff is calculated, but that's what I would guess based on what I've observed.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
For what it's worth, it's called Zanverse. No ideas on what it will do.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
Cougar NX is the regular one, the rare version is Cougar NX ACE (it's red).

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
Its special was to cast a pitifully low level of Jellen and Zalure. Also, it apparently boosted the strength of Ra- techs by 20%.

Handgun Harlot posted:

But I'm pretty sure it's just a wand now.
It's a talis, actually. Presumably you throw pages.

Surprise Noodle fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 14, 2013

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
Nah.

It's just a regular Arks ship (like the one where all the urban area quests take place), except derelict and upside-down. You know that giant green energy dome in the sky in the urban area? That's the floor in the Darker nest area, with the actual city on the ceiling, busted open and floating out into space. If you look closely, you can see the Arks Arena (where you fight the bosses in urban) on the ceiling.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
Yep. It's also worth noting that every item in the game has a small image in the menu. For weapons (and rare units), these are all unique, so with a little play experience, you will be able to identify most items at a glance just by looking at the image. CO items are about the only exception, but that can easily be circumvented by checking a database or just comparing your inventory to your CO list.

e: vvvvvv - I know, you just can't tell them apart very well.

Surprise Noodle fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 16, 2013

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
There's really nothing for them to gain by IP blocking us. The vast majority of the Japanese players seem like they couldn't care less about us being there, and you know that SEGA doesn't mind the extra cash they get. Beyond that, it helps their numbers look good, both in terms of simultaneous connections and total number of registered accounts.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
It is, however, a good idea to use the Webmoney Wallet thing. Let's say you only want to buy 2000 Webmoney, either because you found a good price for that, or it's all you need, or whatever. SEGA doesn't actually offer a 2000 AC purchase option for using Webmoney, so you just add the code to your Wallet, then buy it in 2 chunks of 1000 AC.

Also, http://www.jpwm.net/shop/ is where I bought my AC the one time I did it, but the website doesn't seem to be up right now. Shame, because it was the cheapest option (at least at the time I bought some), I could pay with Paypal, and I got my code sent to me instantly upon payment.

However, buying it from someone actually in Japan is clearly a superior solution, so I'll consider doing that if I feel I need any AC after Episode 2 comes out next month. Depending on how much I end up playing my Duman, I may well need to get another 5-pack of inventory expanders.

e: VVVVVV - Oh, can you? I was misinformed, then.

Surprise Noodle fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 22, 2013

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
It's worth noting that there's not actually a hard limit on how many times you can shock Elder. However, each time you shock him, his resistance to the shock SE increases, so each progressive shock becomes more difficult to pull off. Typically, you will only get 4-5 in, but I did once see 6. In a good party, 2 shocks is enough. Typically, you do not want to start shocking until only the upper 2 pairs of arms remain.

Also, he can't be reshocked while his arms are down, so feel free to wail on them with zonde.

Another note: While this isn't 100% confirmed, it's pretty likely that the only rares you get from breaking Elder's arms that you can't get otherwise are the units. So it's not a terribly huge deal if you leave a few arms alive when he dies, but most people will try to break them all anyway, as it makes the fight much more engaging.

Surprise Noodle fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 23, 2013

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
As far as order goes, there is no requirement. However, most parties start on the left (Elder's right arms), then proceed to the right (left arms).

So, phase 1, break Elder's 2 right arms, then 2 left arms. In phase 2, break Elder's 2 middle right arms, then 2 middle left arms, then shock to break the top 2 right arms, then shock again to break the top 2 left arms.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
Personally, I think the music is pretty damned good, boss tracks especially. Maybe not quite as great as PSO's, but it's close.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
No, it'll be about for a couple more weeks, I believe.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011

Cockblocking Jerk posted:

Note to anyone, don't delete your patchlist.txt, either accidentally or intentionally, because then you cannot patch, and you also can't run PSO2, and have to uninstall and reinstall PSO2.
Or you could ask someone to upload a copy! Honestly, I'm just guessing here, but you might even be able to fix it by putting a dummy text file with the same name in the directory.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
There's basically no way they can enforce this, unless you post the equivalent of a banme full of not only datamined pictures and stuff, but also your account name and ID number. And they still probably wouldn't enforce that. It's just to scare people away from doing it.

kirbysuperstar posted:

What? They could totally have the precede data encrypted until go-time. From the looks of the data that just came down the line, they haven't, but they could if they wanted to.
All of the game's files are encrypted, it's just that there are publicly available tools to decrypt them.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
They could, but that would mean effort. So would enforcing this datamining ban, by the way. It's just easier to stand back and yell at people for not respecting the "DO NOT OPEN BEFORE XMAS" sticker on the present they gave everyone on December 10th.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
SEGA has a long history of equating looking at files to cheating. This is not a new position for them.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
Wands are great and easily the most engaging casting weapon, but wandbonking bosses is hardly a viable strategy.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
Compared to rods and talis, wands have a slightly longer time between casting and the opportunity for the next Just Attack. We're talking milliseconds.
Unless you're a min-maxer, this is a completely insignificant thing that you will probably never even notice.

But yeah, Techer is not a very good class. It is, however, way more fun than Force, which is super-boring. The biggest issue I have currently is that TE has no choice but to sub FO, as every single PP regen skill is worthless without PP Charge Revival.

e: vvvvvv - Sure, you can, but you'll run out of PP after casting 3 techs. Real fun. Maybe it's not so bad most of the time, but during boss fights or PSE bursts? No thanks.

Surprise Noodle fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 5, 2013

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
Depending on your race/class combo, the excube units might actually be pretty good for S-Def (the most important defense stat) and HP if you get the Bro- c or -dot c sets.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
It's also really stupid and there's no reason to do it unless you're an impatient rear end in a top hat.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
Or you could just walk at the same pace as everyone else, so as not to kill everything before your party gets there. Crazy, I know.

I mean, if you want to do it solo or in time attacks, sure, but it's just kind of rude to do it in a party.

Aenslaed posted:

edit: VVVVVVV

So your gripe is with people you group with who leave you behind then? Or is the existence of movement tricks the root enabler of this behavior?
Thankfully, no one I play with does it. I don't know, I guess it's just the attitude behind it that bothers me. I just don't see the point in worrying about going faster in a casual co-op game. When it's actual strategy or character progression, sure, that's part of the game. But when it's abusing quirks of the engine? I just don't see the point.

Surprise Noodle fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 6, 2013

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
I wouldn't worry too much about it. The vast majority of players, Japanese included, never say anything regardless.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011

Bloodplay it again posted:

Super helpful tip I read somewhere else that has helped me at least dozens of times: if you get an item and you're not sure what it is, go into your items, find it, and add it to your wishlist. Then, if you go to Edit ARKS Card, you can go to your wishlist and copy the item name with CTRL+C.
This is a bunch of extra steps for no reason.

Just highlight the item in your inventory, and Ctrl+C will copy the name right from there.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
Wand Lover (internally MainWand) is a 10-SP active. It maxes out at a "time" stat of 30 seconds and a cooldown of 45 seconds. Can't tell yet if it reduces PP to zero and/or maxes wand gear for the entire 30 seconds.

Wand Reactor (internally PowerWand) is a 5-SP passive. It maxes out at a "ConversionRate" of 0.4, so 40% of your wand's T-Atk gets added to its S-Atk.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
Your clone's appearance and such is captured the moment you get abducted, not when you fight Hunar, so it wouldn't have mattered.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
Um, guys? I haven't used it personally (because dropping from Haze Draal is total bullshit), but I'm pretty sure you guys are overreacting to Namegid a bit here. From what I understand, you hold the button down to charge it, and the longer you charge, the more damage it does. That may have been one enormous hit, bit it was probably the result of charging the tech for like 5 whole seconds, expending PP the entire time.

Note: I might be completely wrong about this!

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

You are wrong. That's a ridiculous amount of damage, WB or not.
So I am. I misread it as 50k, not 500k. :sbahj:

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011

Handgun Harlot posted:

While levelling Braver to 30 does unlock the Client Orders from Orza, Lisa, and Marlou that will, in turn, unlock the Client Orders from Coffie to unlock the Fighter, Gunner, and Techter classes, you need to have Hunter, Ranger, and Force at Lv20+ to complete those orders, since the items that drop or kills that are needed are available only in Hard mode or higher.
You can do all these COs with all-class weapons, so no, you don't need to level the base classes at all if you have access to the right equipment.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
If you are planning on using katanas primarily, you should just stick to Average Stance. A 20% boost isn't as statistically amazing as certain other stances, but it applies to everything, so you don't have to worry about targeting or positioning or anything like that. Weak Stance is generally not going to be practical for melee.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
The hell is a Ricalvary? Oh, the bow. They called it "Rikalbari" in PSU. While we're on the subject, I'm still not entirely certain how they got "Compadri" out of コヌパダリ, but that's what they went with.

But yeah, my plan for the rare enemy boost is to try to get the new PAs and such. I only have Namegid and Nafoie so far. Admittedly, those are the best ones, but I'd like to have them all.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
Nah, I get it. I was just legitimately confused what the hell you were talking about at first. Those are both equally "correct", just one fits with the other Yohmei bows (Alteri, Dalteri, Compadri, Rikalbari, Baybari, Hikauri, Hanmateri, Roksari, Ulteri, Hirokteri, Rikauteri, Nasuyoteri, Hiryujiteri). It...makes sense if you played PSU. It's nice to have precedent on things like this, even if SEGA can't keep their own localizations straight (I'm looking at you, Stag Cutralli!).

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
A lot of the NPCs are named after minor planetoids, and there happens to be one such cosmic entity named Alphonsina. So, Melphonsina. Seeing the pattern, we can sort of guess at the original intent.

Then again, there also seems to be some NPC named Mellandia. MelLANDia...MelphonSEAna????? I dunno. :shrug:

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
Ummmm......http://arkive.info/weapons/Rocket%20Punchers

VVVVV - Yeah I know. Just figured he might not know about the weapon.

Surprise Noodle fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 1, 2013

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
I think they're just afraid of doing that because they know that S-Def is way, way more valuable than either other defense stat. I appreciate them not wanting to invalidate other content, but yeah, it's pretty frustrating.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011

Protocol 5 posted:

In the Japanese version Klariskrays habitually calls you the rough equivalent of motherfucker.
You should have seen this dumb argument we had on psumods about this. Some people kept arguing that "kisama" isn't rude, or an insult. That first draft of the story translation was painful. The word "peon" accounted for about 35% of Claris Claes' text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
You see, the thing is, the current version of the story translation is edited. I should know, I did most of the editing. Chapters 1 through 8, at least, and some event tablets. After that, I got busy, the story patch seemed to be consistently broken and game crashing, and I just sort of got tired of dealing with someone who thought it would be a funny joke to have all the characters spout memes and non-sequitur vulgarity in the extra chapter, so I stopped.

Admittedly, I know zero Japanese, and mostly just did a quick proofreading, changing things here and there to sound better. I think I did a pretty decent job with the first chapter or two, but I tried to power through it too quickly and gave up on doing a reworking of the text in the later chapters.

But yeah, if you think it's rough now (which it most definitely is), be glad you never really saw the first draft, full of out-of-place honorifics, awkward as hell phrasing, rampant grammatical issues, and typos out the wazoo.

• Locked thread