Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Lord Tywin posted:

How many drat provinces do you need to form Norway? It's getting tiresome beating up every little count.
Look at the tooltip on the "Create" button for it and you'll see how close you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Jabu posted:

Remind me how Invasions work as I seem to have completely forgotten. Specifically, what button did the Abbasid Caliph push to be able to launch an invasion of Greece and where can I find it?
In vanilla Muslims get a kingdom-targetting invasion CB for like 500 piety I think? I also think CK2+ completely removed it because it is incredibly overpowered.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 4, 2013

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah, if you're playing vanilla Muslims you basically have to murder every male in your family because the AI can't manage decadence and will get you up to 100% sooner or later if any of them hold land. It's dumb and the reason why CK2+ removed most of the decadence system.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
If you want to play an HRE duke without being elected emperor I've heard the trick is to play someone who's not German. The other dukes pick mostly on reputation so that "foreigner" malus will keep you from having the best opinion with everyone, whereas if you're German the instant you get more prestige than everyone else they'll lock onto you.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Maybe never. In my Zoroastrian game, Orthodoxy got completely replaced by Iconoclasm. I searched and there's not a single Orthodox character in the game.
I saw this happen in one of my games too. The first emperor went Iconoclast and took the entire empire with him. By the time I noticed Orthodox was a dead religion.

Weird that it's happened to at least three of us for the same heresy. I've never seen any Catholic or Muslim nation just convert almost immediately at the start like that. Is there something specific causing it?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

dogstile posted:

How does the HRE get so huge anyway? In my game it rules everything from just below Denmark, all the way to Brittany, down to the Italian boot and has made progress into the Byzantine empire. Are they seriously meant to grow that fast?
They have the biggest realm with the most levies so they always win wars. And unlike other Paradox games in vanilla CK2 there's no mechanic that adds instability or slows the growth of realms as they get bigger - at least once you're past the point where you're empire-sized and most of your realm isn't a single culture. (There used to be a mechanism for this, since revolt risk increased with distance from the liege's capital until factions replaced the revolt risk system. On the whole the faction system was probably a net negative for the game. Something like CK2+'s short-lived civil war system would have been much better.)

In theory having more vassals makes things more unstable but in practice the proportions of loyal and rebellious vassals stay about the same, so civil wars are rarely successful. And most dangerous civil wars are for claimants to the throne, so regardless of outcome the realm stays together when they end.

I wish they'd tweak the AI to tend more towards independence factions than claimant factions, unless the claimant is already a prominent title-holder they have a high opinion of.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 23, 2013

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Oh man, I really want to see how the game would work if that was the case now.

Depending on whether the AI was smart enough to marry for stats (is it?), I imagine the global average of rulers would steadily rise over the course of the game. Natural selection in action.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

DStecks posted:

It seems to me that Permanent Pagan Britain and Permanent Muslim Iberia and Permanent Byzantium Forever seem to be pretty much givens for the Old Gods start. I don't know, maybe I haven't played far enough, but the Umayyads, more often than not, are an unstoppable juggernaut. I've even seen them take basically the entirety of France.

I think what's going on, for the Muslims, is that war is an effective way to reduce decadence, and Muslims get a free CB on all neighboring counties, so big Muslim powers tend to snowball like nuts in a bid to stave off decadence.

Speaking of which, I'm currently attempting a Permanent Muslim Iberia game from the 1066 start, and I've almost finished conquering the whole peninsula. Problem is, my decadence is now getting to the point where yearly observation of Ramadan no longer holds it at 0%. And, once I hold all of Iberia, my plan is to just hold that, so waging war to remove decadence becomes less of an option. What exactly does happen once decadence gets out of control?
I've never seen Britain stay Pagan. The Norse usually put up one hell of a fight and stick around as a culture for a long time, but Catholicism win eventually.

You're right about the Iberian Muslims though. In both the original and OG starts they're practically guaranteed to rampage all the way to Germany thanks to the Muslim invasion CB. it's not an attempt to stave off decadence (the AI doesn't know how to deal with decadence), it's just having an almost unlimited-use kingdom-targetting CB that makes them as aggressive as the Hordes once they get enough levies.

When your decadence reaches 100% a giant attritionless army will spawn in your territory from another dynasty to steal all your titles. This is crippling (or maybe a game over? I've never tried it) for a player but because it just replace the ruling dynasty instead of breaking up the realm the AI basically doesn't care and it doesn't affect anyone but the ruler of the blob.

To stop decadence gain past a certain size you either need to assiduously murder every other male in your family after every succession or only hold a single province personally, IIRC. God help you if you've played for several generations without doing that already and you have dozens of uncles and cousins running around.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 5, 2013

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
You probably need to register your CK2 key with your forum account before you can see the mod board and threads. (This is the only anti-piracy measure Paradox uses.)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Who's in line for France's throne? The tooltip on their shield should tell you.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Synnr posted:

e; Also, how do you break a nation when it becomes a theocracy? Just keep falsifying claims until you have enough land to challenge for the throne? If the dude would just marry and have kids so I could bridge the houses, I would be fine. It is just a long line of celibate jerks who invest the next guy.
Yes, that's pretty much it unless you can find a title claimant who will come to your court so you can press their claim. Theocracy succession is annoyingly boring and simple because it was only intended for baronies and the Pope.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

edit: It seems to have sorted itself out after a while.
Succession recalculates periodically, not immediately. Probably because it was too difficult to think of every event that could possibly change the line of succession. This is also why you sometimes get nonsensical "title will pass out of realm on succession" warnings that go away by themselves after a while.

There's a console command you can use to force it immediately: recalc_succ

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 7, 2013

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Are you assigning your best leaders to the army before each major battle? The AI is very good at this but as a human it's really easy to "lose" leaders when merging/splitting armies and the difference between a flank lead by a 20+ martial dude and one with no leader is pretty huge.

Protip: to assign leaders to an army sieging an enemy province without breaking the siege: pause the game, give it a move order (this will make the UI show you the army screen instead of the siege screen), assign leaders, then cancel the move order. As long as you're paused for the whole process this will not interrupt the siege.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Judaism never existed in vanilla, only in CK2+.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

fleshweasel posted:

So I could claim the Byzantine empire for my second son's wife. Her heir is my grandson of my dynasty. If I win that war, will the grandson just be independent because you can't vassalise an emperor/Basileus?
Yes, but you could try to finagle things so that he inherits all of your stuff eventually, unifying whatever you have with the BE.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Clanpot Shake posted:

Prune the tree? I've been trying to have as large a family as possible. When I find some 70 year old distant kinsman widower I'll marry him off to a 20-something hotness with Lustful just so he makes more people I can marry to claimants. Is this is a bad idea?
If you're playing a Muslim this will eventually cause unstoppable decadence growth.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It's fun once and it would be fine to keep as an option, but it makes every single Muslim ruler play exactly the same.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I really want the ability to negotiate with people before I press their claims for them. That way you could know for sure ahead of time whether they'd become your vassal instead of trying to figure out the confusing and arcane rules that govern that now.

Or you could ask for other stuff, like gold or an alliance marriage between your kids.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Dallan Invictus posted:

unless you're playing a Queen and it's your own claim.
Huh, I had no idea there was an exception to that rule. Does it automatically change the target title to Agnatic-Cognatic if you win?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Clanpot Shake posted:

It's definitely in vanilla. I learned this when I married a princess with good stats and powerful alliance who I only noticed had it after we tied the knot. But whatever, I'm gay so it's not like I'm in any danger from getting it.
Homosexuality only decreases fertility, it doesn't set it to -1000 like celibate does.

If the event(s) that spread syphilis follow that same logic you might still be in trouble.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 5, 2013

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Well, there's some good news and some bad news...

Doomdark posted:

I have a design for a decadence rework, but I don't know if and when we can slot it in. Not for this expansion, sorry.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

catlord posted:

(using the Decadence Breakup mod, not quite certain how I feel about it)
This sounds like a godsend for OG start games. I'm pretty tired of Muslim France. Where can I find it?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Flesnolk posted:

So does Hungary usually do this well? I can't help feeling it's a bit unusual:
Not always, but if Tengri gets reformed and they start spamming their invasion CB they can go pretty crazy. I once saw them conquer everything from Ruthenia to France.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I can't imagine how happy Wiz was to be let loose on CK2 and directly fix some of the things he had to work around in CK2+ for ages.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

Stop doing this.

They removed gender equality because the AI has serious problems with not properly mat-marrying under absolute cognatic and enatic successions, and fixing that is beyond the reach of modding.
Isn't the "problem" just that female AI rulers will happily game over themselves by normally marrying kings? If so, who cares? They do that in vanilla under Ag-Cog anyway.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

alcaras posted:

Ah, okay -- so it just happens normally without much need for player interaction -- just control land and it'll happen after 100 years.

What changed recently about it in patches?
Nothing. I think at some point kingdoms couldn't drift between empires, then they could. Or the other way around. It's a rare enough case I'm not even sure how it works at the moment. Duchies have always drifted between kingdoms over 100 years.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

In my experience, even good relations with vassals do fuckall for their faction joining behavior.
It needs to be great, not good, to make vassals leave factions. Like around 60 or 80.

I do wish that the way vassal relation modifiers works would get heavily tweaked though. Length of reign matters way too much compared to everything else. It'd be nice if rebellions were possible due to things you do later in a ruler's life, instead of getting a single inevitable one every succession and then never again.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 21, 2013

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Tarasenko Tank posted:

Does adding Sons of Abraham make the game run slower? I used to be able to sim through the years quickly but now I can barely get through two years on the fastest setting, even after editing the graphics options.

Edit: I turned off Sons of Abraham and the game now magically is faster. Hmm.
Anything that adds stuff to the game will make it run slower, because it needs to do more stuff, like checking the conditions on more events, every tick.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Wow, it was hard to imagine what else it could have been from the teaser but I didn't dare hope they'd do full province/character history for a 50% map expansion.

Most importantly, this seems like the perfect time to get that decadence redesign into the game. :unsmith:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 23, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
They probably will and just not let you play in India without buying the expansion.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

So lets say I'm Caliph of Spain and I conquer Africa. If I set up my second son as King of Africa anf let him go independent, do I still gain Decadence for his heirs and their heirs even though they aren't connected to my empire anymore
Yes. Don't do it. The AI can't manage decadence and will drive it up until you get invasions.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Eimi posted:

You know, on thinking about the Decadence fix, I am excited that it will make Muslims less annoying to play...but at the same time absolutely terrified. Most of my games end up with giant blobby Umayyads and Abasids who have an eternal stranglehold on their empires (By that I mean they have absolute crown authority ludicrously early and never ever have an independence war). I just...I don't know how to deal with them. Especially since right now in my current Russia game...I have like maybe 10k troops. And they have 30k. And the bastards just declared an invasion of Kiev. And there's a crusade going on so all the holy orders are like dead. Oh and the crusade is against the Umayyads who own all of France. :ussr:
If anything, the change will actually make giant Muslim blobs less likely to endure, because they mentioned that when they do have decadence revolts vassals will break away.

One of the many problems with the current decadence system is that it doesn't actually break up the blobs, it just swaps out the ruling family.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah, as usual we're not going to have any idea of the real scope of things until we see the dev diaries.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

How about 'each of your titles is up for a vote on who gets it.'
Seems complicated to do UI-wise. My first guess would be splitting your titles between the characters with the top 3 vote totals. Minimal implementation work since it could just reuse the gavelkind algorithm for three sons.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Nah, I'd pay extra for that in every paradox game. It was the worst thing when they added and then removed observer mode from EU4. :(

• Locked thread