Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
So I just reformed the Norse faith in 897 and I feel strangely hollow. I mean, I know, I should start focusing on forming England and then Brittania, but... it was too easy to collect all the holy sites. I probably was playing out of character, since I started in York, but.... I dunno.

I was too gamey. Playing Gamey ruins this game. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
^^^
Health and Fertility are editable stats in Ruler Designer. They have a plus percentage option.

quiggy posted:

I still can't get loving Zeeland. Screw you Lotharingia t:mad:

In my file, the Holland area went under the crown of Italy, and half of it tried revolting for independence alongside Tuscany and Modena, so I just stomped the hell out of Italy while they were busy trying to hold their south together.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I thought I was going to have to get the reformation way later in the game, but I saw an opportunity that I couldn't pass up.

I took my third and final holy site (the one in Mare) in the very unvikinglike method of Fabricating a Claim.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I roleplay my stabbings, with few exceptions.

One is "Oh, poo poo. This entire war I'm losing is all to press the claims of ONE GUY? Well, surely that ONE GUY wouldn't be missed, would he? Oh, look at that, the entire French Army is now turning around. Who could have imagined?"

Toward the end of my Islamic Kingdom of Venice game, I had so much money coming in a month, that often, I'd just chain-stab people I didn't like. Someone pissing me off? I'll just pause the game and diplo-assassinate them until it works. I like to think of it as hiring an entire assassins' guild.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Strudel Man posted:

Okay, the AI really needs to be a little more reasonable about the targets of adventuring characters. People in your vassal's courts launching campaigns are bad enough, but this is just ridiculous.

What? Clearly this is a friendly game between lovers. Nothing like a little war to spice up the ol' marriage.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

a pipe smoking dog posted:

OKay my old king just died and all of my new king's kids are with his wife in Thuringia not getting married off. Why isn't my wife finding our kids people to marry and how can I get control of my kids? Am I going to have to kill my wife?

Invite them to your court.

EDIT

Alternately, invite a suitable MATCH for the kid to your court, and then propose that your kid marry that courtier.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Boing posted:

I started playing this last week and I can't get enough. Haha this game:

....what?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Do you need a Lunatic king? Possessed?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
In vanilla, to create a kingdom, do you need to own half the counties, or half of the duchies?

Or is it something else? I have the ability to create several duchies, but I already have 3 Ducal level titles and I don't want my vassals to all hate me. I only want to create the titles if it means I can then create a kingdom and subsequently hand them out to loyal men.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Zurai posted:

You need half (51% in Old Gods) of the counties and at least 3 duchies. You can leave the rest of the duchies unformed if you need the cash.

I'm Norse. I (my neighbors) have all the cash I need.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
My northern Neighbor formed Scotland shortly before I formed England, and can somehow field twice as many troops as I can. He's also my Brother-in-law and keeps calling me into Wars to conquer Ireland and just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

I'm really waiting for this to backfire, but I'm not looking forward to it.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

SpaceViking posted:

So would the LPs stop once you get to King-equivalent? Or were you thinking something else? Because a few groups would probably take all of one update to start from Duke and get to King (coughVikingscough)

They should at least contain the bulk of the different gameplay mechanics, so you should also probably reform your religion, et cetera. It's fairly easy to do, too, though, seeing as I did with my first guy.

ANYHOW, can I join the list as a backup player? Like, if no one else wants to show off Muslims, I'll do it. I didn't have nearly as hard of a time with decadence as the topic makes it seem like everyone else did. I'd still rather someone else do it than me, since I have a possible promotion, two vacations, and some other stuff on my plate this summer, I just feel like I could show it off fairly well.

EDIT:
JESUS this post comes off as arrogant. I'm actually not all that good at this game, and the good stuff that might happen to me this year is largely hopes and dreams.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 19, 2013

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
So I apparently failed to notice that making your Norse sons into Godis no longer removes them from succession before I made my already existing Gavelkind problem worse.

With my authority for this character topped out at Medium, I'm still not allowed into Primogeniture, and have no choice but to switch to elective again.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Do you need anything other than Piety and Holy sites to reform a religion? I honestly can't remember what I had going for me, when I reformed Norse, but it looks like both Romuva and Tengri have a ruler with 3 holy sites sitting around, but neither has reformed. Is this a thing I can look forward to happening?

Has anyone confirmed or denied that mongols can switch religions to reformed pagan? Do they switch at ALL if someone reforms Tengri?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I like when my Vassals declare wars on guys I have a truce with, and then -win-, saving me from waiting for ten years, or whatever.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Even if you're not Norse, laying siege to holdings is a great way earn some spare cash. Just, you know, start a war with a weak neighbor and thump them for a while. Never fails.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

the talent deficit posted:

I get real annoyed that there's only a handful of empires that can be formed and most of them have dumb requirements. If my norse raiders conquer half the levant they should be allowed to call themselves emperors.

Anyways, I want to replace the empire titles with a bunch of titular (no de jure territory) titles linked to specific cultures and religions. So if you are greek orthodox and control 3+ king titles you can form the byzantine empire. German or frank and you control 3+ king titles you can form the Holy Roman Empire. Etc.

I've looked at landed_titles.txt but all the empires are defined as collections of kingdoms which are collections of duchies...

You could just download the Titular Title Generator, which lets you set a number of owned Duchies to call yourself a king, even if they're not a "normal" kingdom, and then the same for King titles to name yourself Emperor. It also comes with a sweet Random Scenario mod, which can make things particularly bonkers.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
WELP. In my file a Zoroastrian adventurer reclaimed Persia somehow.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Not all concubines have to be captured rape slaves. You can take them from your own court and they won't have any negative opinion malus.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Fat Samurai posted:

I took a little trip on my boat with a few friends:

That was a fun year. Or two, didn't keep count. In fact, it wasn't very fun. Micromanaging a fleet and two armies day by day while I keep track of two invading armies in a three way war is stressful.

A question for the thread: Do my nobles pay anything if I keep levies up? And do they get anything when I raid with their troops? They guy who provided the boats and the troops is sitting pretty at 200 gold, but I don't know whether it's because he got some of the loot from the raid.

I got about twice this the last time I went raiding. Here was the situation:

HRE Declared holy war on a fellow norseman. I offered to join the war, but by the time I got my 30,000 troops together, he had already lost. Not wanting to lose face for my men, I decide to do some light raiding. SUDDENLY, the Islamic ruler of all of France and Spain dies, and his realm fractures in a huge civil war. I spend the next several years rampaging vikings from France down to the north coast of Spain, and then also Mayorca and Menorca after the empire reasserts itself, because, hey, why not?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

KlavoHunter posted:

Yeah yeah, everyone's already said it, but HOLY CRAP THE OLD GODS AND EVERYTHING ELSE IS 75% OFF!

Get in on this NOW, you miserly goons! I know I just did!

Yeah, this actually got me to buy the music packs. Why not?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm playing as Jorvik (now England), and roleplaying my characters. I decide "Hey, I'm gonna take several decades off of Blobbing, because my character is Content, kind, generous... basically not the type to seek more power."

Then some of the lords of Sweden declared a war to press my weak claim, and now I'm king of England, Sweden, and Norway.

I married my genius heir granddaughter matrilineally to one of my (county bishop level title) vassals, who is also a genius. I swear I'm not powergaming, but the Hungarian Prince I -wanted- to marry her to married someone else, and I decided the second best idea was picking a husband that rounds out her one weak trait. He just happened to be a genius, too.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Ever thought of having Gavelkind on while you only have one son living, inheriting, and then, on your new character's life, switching to Primogeniture?

Constantly dicking with succession laws is pretty fun, but after a while, I tend to find myself stuck on Elective. Or what I like to call Muslim Elective, which is where I give whichever of my sons I like best a marginal title, and if another suddenly becomes better, giving him TWO marginal titles, and so on.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Hahahahaha. Holy gently caress. That's better than the time the north central Mediterranean in my game was owned by the Company of the Hat.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Sheen Sheen posted:

Regarding AI Pagans reforming--the Ilkhanate reformed Tengri in my current Novgorod game, and the Tengri High Priest called a Great Holy War for Ruthenia, of which I happened to own a few provinces. I'm waiting to get stomped by a doomstack, but it never comes. Eventually I check the little war icon in the bottom right of the screen, and I see that no one has joined the crusade. So I sent my retinue to the rear end-end of the map and sacked the temple holding owned by the Tengri High Priest and promptly won the Great Holy War :black101:

What gives? Was that a bug, or did all the Tengri rulers hate the High Priest/not care enough about Ruthenia to join?

Check the Ilkhanate. It'd be super hilarious if they reformed Tengri and then said "You know what? Let's all be Nestorian Orthodox"

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Flesnolk posted:

Just in general it'd be nice to see the AI not actively be as stupid as they can about playing. And maybe a way to affect how often peasants revolt, it's really tiresome to have what feels like three a month. It's probably closer to three-five a year, but still.

Also, I think I found the logical extreme of ruler interbreeding:

Parthenogenesis!

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
It helps if the Pope REALLY doesn't like the guy. Like, if he's a lovely person, but not lovely in ways the Pope is lovely.

I just fell into the downfall of Elective Succession. Multiple Ruler Death. I lost two of my 3 kingdoms through legalism and have no claim whatsoever to get them back. :(

On the plus side, the game was really, really boring for a while there.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

DrPop posted:

So this happened in my latest Rurikid playthrough.

A particularly powerful Basileus somehow converted to Iconoclast and forced all of his vassals to adopt the heresy as well, and he reigned for a long rear end time. Just before this happened my leader converted to Orthodox. Now, due to all the Moral Authority hits, solely Novgorod converted to Orthodox from Slavic paganism and my new religion is going nowhere fast despite all my vassals being Orthodox as well.

I stabbed my way through a few of the first Iconoclast Basileus' successors without even getting caught, but there was never even a hint of a rebellion for any of the underage rulers. So now I'm kinda up poo poo creek without the ability to raid anymore. My current ruler's wife is Iconoclast. Is there some way for me to convert to Iconoclasm and get in on the sweet sweet heresy too, or am I just boned?

Have your successor get tutored under your heretic wife.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Decided that the wunderkind member of my dynasty was my best bet to get my kingdoms of Norway and Sweden back. I marry her off to my martial, matrilineally, since he's a beast, and push her claim for Norway, and she pushes her own claim afterward for Sweden, winning both.

Then she has her first child. What the? He's inbred? That's odd. I thought my martial was a Welsh Suomenusko.

Finally it hit me. He was weird because he was my old king's sister's son, and when her Suomenusko husband died, I reinvited her back to court to take advantage of her high stats. She brought her two children with her. And the new queen of Norway and Sweden was said king's youngest daughter. I had inadvertently married the most powerful woman north of Greece to her uncle. God drat it.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Park your chancellor on Rome?

Seriously, I find excommunication wars end before they begin most of the time, and remind me again the penalty for losing them? I'm pretty sure I had a game where I was just surrendering when they came up, but maybe it's changed and actually penalizes you somehow.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

NihilCredo posted:

Yeah, I've had some Lithuanian guy psychically propose and marry a Nubian chick too.

Is there a simple mod that manages to effectively split the Pagan group so it's not all one giant, happy, air travel-capable family? If Zoroastrianism gets its own religious group then I don't see why Aztec and West African shouldn't as well. Probably Tengri too, though at least they neighbour Slavs and Finns.

In my game, the county of Chester has been ruled for generations by Mandes, because I apparently had a Mande norse dude in my court for some reason. (Can the Eunuchs you get in events invite nobles of their culture to court? That is the only thing I can think of)

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

garth ferengi posted:

De jure drift might be the worst thing in the entire world. Yes those are the de jure kingdom borders in my game

Disagreed. De Jure drift rules. If it helps, don't think of that stretch of (Mauretania? Andalusia?) that goes through France and Germany to be the parts of France and Germany they consider their own. They obviously consider it ALL their own. Just consider the splotches in the middle to be the sections of land that the cultural minorities will fight to the death to defend.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Guys, seriously.

STOP EXECUTING YOUR RELATIVES AS MUSLIM.

They stop collecting decadence simply by being in prison. You don't need to kill them. Their being there gives you an added benefit, too. Basically, you can release them from prison and then immediately land them for a big blow to decadence, and hey, that guy that used to hate you and cause your realm to slowly gain big scary numbers is now your best friend. Your constantly releasing prisoners (and giving them the better accommodations while they're in prison) will ensure that just about everyone loves you. Except, of course, your relatives that are angry you're putting all their kids in jail, but THEM, well, you can execute with no penalty at all. Just crush the tiny baby man rebellion and install one of the other imprisoned relatives in their place.

Hold Ramadan any time the big scary numbers look too scary to you---it doesn't even have to be every year, seriously. And that's it. That is how you handle decadence.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Mailer posted:

This turns into some weird stuff if you're marrying into a country you want to take over. My wife died, my only living son inherited one county in Scotland, and suddenly my heir was actually fighting against my attempts to expand his future empire. He died a maimed cripple thanks to getting constantly destroyed by someone only trying to help him. :smith:

Pfff. Stay out of my life, Dad. God.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I forgot how much this game can snowball in either direction. I was rocking house for quite a while and then somehow pissed off the Holy Roman Empire when my army was slightly depleted. Cue losing my largest duchy, and then a couple of other back-to-back wars with lesser powers while I can only raise about 1/8th of my troops.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

HenessyHero posted:

I usually go Unyielding and Inspiring Leader when I can. You can pull out some utterly absurd, outnumbered 3 to 1 by quality units, wins if you also happen to have patient and brave as well. Organizer is always so tempting though :sigh:.

The best part about organizer is you only need ONE guy with it, somewhere, in your army, and it applies over the entire thing. So, like, yeah, it's absurdly good, but you don't need to pick it up every time by any means. I usually like to be boring and take something like {x}leader, where X is my troop composition or the type of terrain of my country/neighboring countries.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
^^Bullshit.... or a miracle of Christ?

Allyn posted:

Yeah organisers only take effect if they're leading the centre, definitely not one of the flanks.

Maybe it can be any of the center commands, then, because I've definitely had hilariously quick armies of Heavy Infantry without having my center commander be an Organizer, but my Fylkir, well, he -did- have organizer, and was usually somewhere in the back lines.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Just lost my best character ever. I was content to sit on my laurels with this one, figuring he wouldn't really go anywhere. He got to be about 54 or so, got sick, and I thought "Yep. Gonna see what my next character does" and then I randomly got holy warred on and lost one of my duchies. A few years later, the HRE gets involved in two wars that go very bad for them, and I spend the next couple of decades conquering the entirety of France from under them. My guy dies with something like 14,000 prestige and 4,000 Piety, almost all of which was gained when he was an elderly man.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Fabricating Claims is really good if you don't press them immediately. Basically, on a young ruler, having some claims fabricated lets you use the magic "Press all claims" button that so rarely appears. It's nice being able to take several counties (or a duchy and some counties!) at once without having to wage a holy war and thus fight all of Catholicism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm tempted to enable Sunset Invasion, simply because at this point, I can't imagine actually losing a war. I own all of Sweden, England, and France, my vassals are starting to press into Spain for me, and the only place more technologically advanced than I am is Constantinople.

I mean, earlier in this playthrough I lost two kingdoms, and still didn't get Norway back (seriously, gently caress these idiots), so part of me believes that losing two monarchs rapidly, thanks to elective monarchy, will be enough to make the game interesting again, but part of me is just "gently caress it! Aztecs!"

• Locked thread