Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

DrPop posted:

Unnnnnf waiting to get Old Gods 'til CK2+ gets updated come onnnnnnn Wiz

Wiz on the Paradox forums posted:

I am making a compatch, earliest in the weekend probably more realistically next weekend.

You may be waiting a while, then.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Starting in Ireland was not the best idea when it comes to reforming the faith, I realized. :saddowns:

INor Russia. :(

I'll just have to be happy with my massive blob that expands like a cancer, feeds rebellious Slavic chiefs to Odin once the subjugation opinion modifier wears off, and implodes every generation because the heir NEVER inherits Rurik's Quick trait and always has at least one sibling, uncle, or niece who can run circles around him.

I still hate Gavelkind but at least it gives away coherent duchies most of the time now. Except when it gave the capital duchy (Novgorod/Holmgardr) to Rurik's brilliant granddaughter (who WOULD have been queen if rebels hadn't killed her dad and hosed up my plan) without any actual counties in Novgorod (which all went to the primary heir, Rurik's second son.)

Of course, since that plan means she now holds the two richest duchies in Rus worth of actual land, I think that's really just the game telling me to switch to her, overthrow her uncle, and play the murderous hybrid of Catherine the Great and Asha Greyjoy eight hundred years early.

Best DLC. :black101:

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 29, 2013

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I'm pretty sure there actually are special death/maiming events for berserkers and they're just immune from the original ones (I vaguely recall seeing them in one of the oldgods_* event files during my last file dive) but like you said it would make a certain amount of sense if they were just flat-out invulnerable in battle.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Even without the Old Gods DLC, the game got a major patch this week and the big mods like GOT and CK2+ won't work until they're updated to be compatible.

e: f,b

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

A word of warning, though - some of those "aww, how precious" vassal wars can bite you in the rear end, not because they fail, but because they succeed. I just had one of my Dukes grab enough land to become the King of East Francia, and that would have made him independent had I not managed to form an Empire literally six months prior.

(P.S. Hah hah now I am the sole remaining Hard Hat Spider-Man I win)

You can't create titles that would make you independent from your current liege (on the other hand if they can create East Francia they have a semi-decent chance of winning an independence war which would be just as bad for you).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Gyshall posted:

Are there any good mods compatible with TOG that add more plots, ambitions, events, etc? That is the only thing I think is really lacking in this game is the variety of these.

VIET basically tries to do this and I've heard it's already been updated for TOG (is the right?).

Otherwise you probably just need to wait.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

Does anyone know what to edit so I can assign women as army leaders? My last king had no sons so it defaulted to my badass warrior daughter, but gender bias during the Medieval Ages or not, I can't see a warrior queen not being allowed to lead her own drat army.

Edit the requirements for the Marshal job in common/job_titles.txt - they also govern who can be appointed as an army leader. You can just remove the is_female = no to be simple about it.

edit: beaten, but no, you can stick in whatever insane requirements you like if you understand the scripting properly. For example, my edits basically say "be male, or be a woman with 15 martial if your liege doesn't have Agnatic gender law, or be a woman with 12 martial if you're a ruler, have the brave trait, or are a member of one of these cultures, or be a woman who's had a Joan of Arc event I borrowed from Strudel Man happen to her".

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 4, 2013

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

If you're not gay yourself, you get a relatively minor opinion malus with them. I did wonder what the effects were if you are.

This loving game. They seem to think of everything.

Strudel Man posted:

On a related note, does anyone else feel that the delay between blots is too long? Nine years is a while when the nearest christian equivalent seems to be to the feast, which you can do every year, and especially when the effects of the blot (opinion bonus with vassals, increased morale) only lasts a single year.

Yeah, I'd honestly wondered if there was some sort of MY VERSIMILITUDE explanation for that, or some weird conception of game balance. Blots are basically Feast++ and Norse are overpowered already, but on the other hand you have to be at peace to call one (which being Norse disincentivizes) and Norse are overpowered in the "taking territory" sense, not necessarily the "keeping vassals happy" sense, so I think nine years is probably a bit overkill.

(or maybe I'm just creeped out by keeping my random neighbours in jail for eight years just in order to sacrifice the ones that survive.)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

Well, to be honest, that's not exactly an obscure thing to think of addressing, given that the event only crops up in the first place if you have multiple gay vassals.

True, but the cool little touches in this DLC keep piling up (the runestone traits are a particular favourite) and I'm feeling effusive today.

quote:

It probably wouldn't be that hard to put in an alternate version that skips right to the post-blot feast part, really.

Yeah, this is probably the best answer since Norse can't do ordinary feasts.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Also, I'm pretty sure that someone who isn't titled isn't asked for their own ransom, it's always their liege.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

I thought a vassal with a low opinion could join a plot against me?

Yes, but

quote:

should I be way, way more worried about what my equally as powerful as me vassal thinks?

yes. Any vassal or courtier with a low opinion is a potential plotter, but the more powerful a vassal they are the more plot power they potentially are to your enemies. This means that you need to keep powerful vassals, officeholders, and PARTICULARLY your spymaster happy if you don't want to end up dead in a manure explosion.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

edit: ^^^^if you can mat-marry to someone with an inheritable claim (or someone who will get one, if you can guarantee that the ruler will die before they do) then you can get a claim at least, but you'll still have to fight a war for it. Peacefully inheriting Agnatic Elective realms is tricky because vassals don't usually like to vote for outsiders.

DrNutt posted:

That's good to know. So is there a better place to start in Ireland than Dublin? Earl Murchad is a dumbass with dumbass children and a dumbass chancellor (6.01% chance per year to forge a claim :hurr: ).

Most starting characters' stats (and some of their traits) are regenerated at game start, so you might have better luck by rerolling the game and hoping your court isn't full of idiots the second time around.

(that said, Munster may be a better start in 1066, especially now that you need 51% to claim a duchy so you can't rapidly create Meath and Leinster for the easy claims on two more provinces).

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 6, 2013

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

LowellDND posted:

Reposting from last page - how do you get more then one province per war? Having a ten year treaty (or 350 gold assassin) after each war is slowing me down quite a bit. I have the armies to conquer Scotland, but apparently not the legal backing.

Get a claim on a duchy or the kingdom (or multiple personal province claims at once) and you can gain more than one province in a claim war.

edit: wow you guys are fast.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Reveilled posted:

Is anyone else running Girl Power, and finding that you have to enable it every single time you play? CK2+ seemed to save which modules I had turned on, but Girl Power doesn't seem to do this.

I haven't downloaded Girl Power yet (shockingly), but the "save mods/DLC choices in the launcher" behaviour is controlled by a file in the main settings directory. If it has its own settings/save games directory (like, for example, Game of Thrones) then it won't stick like CK2+ does.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Rejected Fate posted:

Man, did CK2+ have a sort of land connection requirement for de jure drift? Because I'm sure I never saw islands becoming part of a different kingdom.

CK2+ did have a land border requirement for de jure drift, yes (which sucks for integrating islands but that's what save game editors are for!)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

It was a bug and it's supposedly been fixed in today's CK2+ version.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I just got a patch so I'm guessing 1.10.1 is out of beta?

Indeed it is.

There don't seem to be any additional changes from the beta notes, for what that's worth.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

For people using the new CK2+: I think I've figured out why, for example, Byzantium is using the HRE flag. The flag for the duchy of Podlasia is apparently missing from the package, so everything that comes after it is off-by-one. To fix it you just need to put in a flag for d_podlasie: I used vanilla's c_podlasie.tga, renamed it, and stuck it in the CK2+ flag directory as d_podlasie.tga, and all is now right with the world.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

What's that middle symbol mean between strong and genius?

It's probably the "descendant of the Zoroastrian messiah" trait, dunno the actual name.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

I wish there was some way to send somebody to try and make people fall to heresy. Like, a Court Heretic or a job for the spymaster or something. Being able to get some child king dumbass to convert to Islam and then going HEY LOOK AT THE INFIDEL, HOLY WAR TIME would be wonderful.

Can't the Chaplain's Inquisition job turn people into heretics (though I guess you can't use it externally?)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Allyn posted:

From the changelog for version 2.00:

quote:

- Cut most special Pagan CBs. Pagans can launch county conquests on a five-year cooldown timer but regular Pagan warfare will mostly be about raiding.

So yeah I think Wiz cut them.

Um, I'm pretty sure they're still here, because I'm playing the Karens in the latest CK2+ and, between Viking prepared invasions using rivers, adventurers, and also the loving Sunni Caliph I can never get a moment's breathing room.

I'm racing against time before the Seljuks show up and pretty sure I'm going to lose. :ohdear:

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 16, 2013

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

LowellDND posted:

Should I ever do a standard marriage with my female cousins? Im looking at the matrilineal tab and its all family members.

If both partners are of the same dynasty there's no difference between a regular and matrilineal marriage (well, except that in matrilineal marriages the children start at the mother's location with the mother's culture), so if you're already going to be marrying your cousins that checkbox is the least of your worries.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Is anyone using CK2+ and Better Armies running into some weirdness with the Seljuk invasion around 1000? The event fires, but the Seljuks don't declare war for some reason and the doomstacks just sit there.

I'm playing Zoroastrian Persia so I'm semi-thankful for the reprieve but I don't think this is supposed to happen.

(also the event spawns two more of the Seljuk stacks and gives them to Cumania, which makes a certain bizarre sense but which I also don't believe is intended.)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Flippycunt posted:

I know there was a vanilla bug that made this happen in the 1.10 patch with certain hordes (happened to me with the Aztecs). I couldn't figure out how to fix it, and I assumed Paradox took care of it. I dunno man.

Yeah, I looked at the event code for all three versions of mongol_events (vanilla/CK2+/BA), and they're all effectively the same barring the tweaks to their numbers, so I dunno either. Ah, well, maybe I'll fiddle with it tomorrow and see what I can try.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Daeren posted:

Byzantium's section almost deserves one of those giant multiplayer games where every Byzantine duke is a human player scheming against everybody else and some poor bastard's stuck as the first emperor.

Multiplayer LPs never quite work but I would kill to see this happen. Kind of like the Dominions LPs but with more incest.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

(re invader tags not actually invading in CK2+)

Flippycunt posted:

I know there was a vanilla bug that made this happen in the 1.10 patch with certain hordes (happened to me with the Aztecs). I couldn't figure out how to fix it, and I assumed Paradox took care of it. I dunno man.

I actually fixed this (well, the Paradox forums gave me the idea) - the problem is that the CK2+ Tribal Invasion CB requires you to neighbour the target or have a province in the same de jure kingdom, so when event invaders who don't have any land try to use it, it sputters and fails. Answer here is to either a) auto-give the event invaders a territory (which the forums suggested to that guy doing CK2+ bugfixes while Wiz is on vacation) or stick an exception in the tribal invasion CB (similar to the exception for landless mercenaries) allowing landless invader tags to use it.

I did the latter on my copy since I kinda hate the auto-gifting land mechanic, and now the Seljuks arrive and attack as normal.

...oh god what have I done.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Sure, just drop this file into mod/CK2Plus/common/cb_types to replace the one that's already there.

(for those who care, the code I added is at lines 1670-1679)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/pllrp7

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

jpmeyer posted:

2) Because Persia is so landlocked, the levy grouping aspect is more important. I frequently would frequently start at a disadvantage against the caliph and the Seljuks in wars for example. Huge bulks of my troops are months away so their doomstacks would pick off my small stacks before they could regroup, etc.

This is the big reason. Until you've played in Persia you have no goddamn idea how infuriating it is to take literal months to gather your forces (especially since the Ilkhanate, Timurids and now Seljuks start up right in your grill and actually seem to move their horse-archer doomstacks faster than you can move levies.). Being able to liege-levy Khwarazim (the worst offender by far because the Caspian ports don't work) is a godsend, and I actually refused to play in that part of the world until they introduced it.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

I was expecting something special for sacrificing the freaking Pope. :sigh:

Bask in the warm glow of a burning Pope a job well done.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Jastiger posted:

First, how do I find this stuff out before hand?

Second, what do I do? Haralds army is stronger than anyone elses on the island!

1) There's an Allies tab on every character page, which should list everyone who might potentially show up to ruin your day.

2) You might be able to raise relations with King Harald enough that he likes you more than your target (which will reduce the chances of him accepting a call to war.)

If the war has already started, you can still kill one of your target, King Harald, or (possibly) either of the couple whose marriage is allying them, and the alliance will cease to be a problem.

Another alternative: mercenaries.

Bloodly posted:

Tech system's changed. Councillors don't improve the capital anymore since you spend tech points in the capital to improve it there(At Duke level or above). Councillors improve tech spread.

I believe the "positive results" changes from councillor research will give you tech points in the capital now, so they still do improve the capital indirectly (as well as tech spread).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Jastiger posted:

Well I am petty king of Munster, and I want to make a Duchty of Leichester to give to my jealous younger son. It would give him land, but he wouldn't be King. I'm afraid to because I think it'll make him independent of me. Is that right? Is Petty King equal to a duchy?

Petty Kingdoms are equal-level to duchies, yes: you need to be a just-plain king (of Ireland, in your case) in order to grant duchies/petty-kingdoms and still keep them vassals to you.

Coolguye posted:

when did they change it so you can't have Absolute Cognatic inheritance unless you're Basque? Is there an easy way to mod that crap out?

It was actually this way on release, everybody just modded it out or changed the requirement to one that made sense. The requirement is under true_cognatic_succession in decisions/succession_laws.txt, install a mod that changes it (CK2+ does, I'm sure most other major mods do as well) or edit the file yourself to remove the culture = basque line.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Meanwhile the quite nice Slavic events get the shaft, and the Slavs continue to be really anemic so that the already really awesome and fun-to-play Norse get more goodies. :/

The way you write this it sounds like those submitted Slavic events are available somewhere?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Er, well they were submitted in the contest, and were in an earlier thread specifically about the treatment of Slavic Pagans compared to Norse. I'll go digging for them, though I'm not great at code and probably can't code them in as events.

I don't keep up very well with the Paradox forums, is why I wasn't sure if the submissions were public. I wanted to see the idea for myself, is all - maybe some inspired modder will throw them in.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Yup!! I was wondering what unique thing to give to the Kingdom of Daxos. Under the new changes (of which I only had to add the new succession laws in order to get Sonendar to be compatible to the latest patch!),

This is Very Promising Indeed for those of us who didn't do the smart thing and disable auto-update.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Prolly dead. RIP my current Breton Kings of Brittany, England, Aragon, Andalusia, Wales, Portugal and Denmark...

The CK2+ thread says it loads up just fine (surprisingly, since I'd at least think the succession_laws changes needed to be exported to mods), and one of our other modders says that his mod only needed minor changes. I think we'll be okay or at least not waiting too long.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

nutranurse posted:

edit: Has anyone else been experiencing a bug where AIs won't form duchy titles? This has been happening for me since the last patch as well.

This is something that a lot of people are reporting in CK2+, which is odd because none of the user-moddable files should be affecting that tendency. I'm curious whether it's happening in vanilla too but just getting masked by how easy it is to form kingdoms in vanilla.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

Huh. I was just thinking that I wasn't noticing any affairs happening in any of the pagan games I tried. Looks like there's a reason for it - the "A female courtier initiates romance with her liege" event in birth_events only triggers for lieges in the Christian religion group.

I thought they patched this today, but apparently I misread something or other.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Knuc If U Buck posted:

It's a photoshop...

It's not a photoshop, it's an old mod plot.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

nutranurse posted:

It's actually not! There is a mod that adds more plots and ambitions, it's called additional plots and ambitions, I think.

Additional Objectives has Make a Friend as an ambition (so you don't need to recruit people for it anymore) but I remember it being a plot before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

One thing I find myself wishing is that inheritance laws would kind of propagate down from the top level title, to represent that it's how the kingdom does things. Maybe only for de-jure vassals under high crown authority, or something like that.

I suppose it wouldn't be that difficult to program in, necessarily, since succession laws are already decisions - you just have to have the AI do it.

I normally save-edit to do this (at least for vassal titles I create and hand out) but it would be awesome if AIs were a little more likely to adapt inheritance laws that matched their liege. It probably wouldn't take much more than editing the AI likelihood sections of the decisions.

• Locked thread