Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Right, this his been sat in my Steam inventory for about a year so having bounced off it twice I'm going to be King Bleddyn of Powys and just try to putter along for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Got to 1073 and things didn't go terribly, gained a couple of grandkids, changed the government type so my good heir gets all my land and chose not to go to war some snot-nosed nephew could lay claim to some of South Wales.No idea how I'd actually go about gaining land via family stuff but I'll learn at some point.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Is there a good rule of thumb for when your army is big enough to attack the other guy's? 'Slightly bigger than' didn't do it for me.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Good stuff, thanks. I'll make sure my commanders are up to snuff and take more notice of where I'm attacking next time I fabricate a CB.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Thanks to your tips, I conquered Angouleme and it ended with my mother in law in charge. I could have sworn I'd get it but never mind, I'll take more care next time and at least I now have an ally for the forseeable future as my kinsman is the heir.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I managed to take control of another county for myself! Unfortunately I have a stewardship of 0 so my demense is now too big. I assume the obvious thing to do is give my heir the landed title and when my count dies (he's 65 now), my heir and her rather higher stewardship stat will get both counties?

Also, I can't do Primogeniture because of French law. Who exactly can vote and be voted for in Elective Gavelkind? I have a very small family, a wife and two daughters of 15 and 1. I would think it almost a foregone conclusion that the elder daughter will get the whole kingdom if I'm in charge of one county and she's a vassal to me but I'm not sure I fully get it.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Pretty sure it's Agnatic-Cognatic, I'd better check when I get home.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I'm really confused. I gave my heir, my young son one of the two counties I own and immediately I have a message saying I no longer have an heir and if I die now, the game will end.

I don't get it. How is he no longer my heir? I thought he would rule that county and inherit the second one from me on my death.

It looks like because I'm a woman, albeit in a matrilineal marriage, I am now his heir rather than the other way around, even though he's my son. Should I never grant landed titles when I'm a woman?

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 18, 2015

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Elective Agnatic-Cognatic

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Edison was a dick posted:

That means you'll get his land if he dies before he has children of his own.
It is perfectly feasible for two characters to be each other's heirs.

That makes sense, and my succession law means that my spymaster is now my heir. I may have made a mistake.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Okay, so who should I be looking to land as a two or three county count? If I'm looking to step up to duke, I'll be banging up against my demense limit unless I get lucky.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Ah, ok, so just deal with the too-many-demense penalties until I can get 51% of a duchy?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Volkerball posted:

What are you at now 3/2 or something? You can kill your wife and get a new one with higher stewardship for the immediate boost, or pick up the rulership focus to boost your own if you have way of life. If you give a county away as a count, it'll become independent, so you're stuck either way. Just try and get under the limit asap.

Ah, makes sense. Can be tricky becoming a duke if your liege is a duke but I have plenty of time to plot something.

Also, I don't have any DLC, I picked it up on sale ages ago and I've only just got into it. Any standout DLCs?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I wish I still had the old saves from when I had 2/3 of Bourbon. I'm sure I couldn't usurp the Duchy of Bourbon because that would make me the same rank as my liege, the Duke of Aquitaine.

Or do you mean in that situation, I could usurp the Duke of Aquitaine, but not the Duke of Bourbon?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I quickly learned not to ironman, especially when I don't really understand a lot of things. Honestman is my default on Football Manager, Kerbal Space Program and XCOM.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Is there one standout DLC or is it a matter of preference? I'm tempted by both Way of Life and The Old Gods.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Awesome, thanks. I think I will pick up Way of Life first as I really like that part of the game. I know there are Paradox sales pretty regularly but eh, six quid.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I really need to learn to check if the guy I'm trying to conquer has any allies both when I start to fabricate claims and when I actually go to war.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I really shouldn't gave let my heir choose his wife, he chose a 41 year old woman and as such has no kids. Bringing up my piety (I've just taken control of him, my guy died quite young) for a divorce now. Thankfully my brother has an heir, a niece, but there's a severe shortage of men in our dynasty and as such I can't really expand any more as I'd need to hand out landed titles to male dynasty members who don't yet exist.

This is on the noob challenge of uniting Ireland in 1099, I have 3 counties in my demense and two more under my the care of my brother.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Is there a way to filter the list of potential spouses? It seems quite a basic feature to not be there but I can't find anything.

e: In my quest to unite Ireland, I now have room to expand but unfortunately everyone else in Ireland has some very powerful allies. I guess it's just a matter of waiting until someone loses them? I have allies of my own but I'm not that confident that they'd help or that they'd win.

e2: Holy poo poo, following on from his Dad dying at 52 a cripple my guy has just died of illness at 31 leaving a single 1 year old heir. lovely gene pool in this save. With a stewardship of 0 and only nobody I can land, I guess I'm going to have to give someone independence?

Ah, never mind, my regent's stewardship bonus didn't kick in until I unpaused.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 23, 2015

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Ahh, I thought I could only use the filter to find specific people. Really useful stuff all round, thanks.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Wow I have hundreds of hours in this game and I just learned about filtering for traits.

Also, I love getting 1-year old characters because it means if you can make it through regency you've already built up a good amount of prestige and +opinion from long reign. It's great for stability if you can swing the same ruler for 50 years, and starting as an infant really helps!

It's working out this way for me. I managed to knock back an invasion from Norge, too so I've got a lot of goodwill already at the age of 16. Finally got a vulnerable Connaghta and the ability to take it. Tir Chonaill have a CB on us but their young ruler is already over his demense limit so fingers crossed I can take Connaghta without being blindsided.

Update: Got off to a poor start and needed mercenary assistance but won the day in the end and even managed to fight off the Tir Chonaill claim on the same land to a 100% warscore, granting us 250 gold and now nobody has a CB on us, very good outcome.

I now have an heir, a daughter, so still no more landing for me but my queen is only 25 so plenty of time for that.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 23, 2015

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Yep, currently trying to expand my brood.

Now I'm a Petty King, I don't need to worry about people I give land to being related to me, do I? I'll always be liege to them and whoever inherits from them.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Awesome, I've just fabricated claims and Breifne are about to get it. When they'be not bezzies with the Kings of Scotland and Navarra, anyway.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Sorry, one more thing I don't get and can't find by Googling. Can I tell if a potential enemy will be able to call allies to war? I looked at a nearby Duke's allies, all had 'cannot call to war'. I thought, great, he can't help himself. I declare war, first thing he does is get the King of Norge involved. How did he do that?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

What I'm trying to say is that I looked at his allies, which included the King of Norge, but hovering over him gave a 'cannot call to war' message, but somehow he did call them. I had assumed that the 'cannot call to war' message was a foolproof way of finding out if a potential target could call for backup but obviously not.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Volkerball posted:

That "can call to war" "cannot call to war" thing relates to wars that are already being fought. Just because he couldn't call Norge into any of his current wars didn't mean that he couldn't call him into war against you once you declared.

I see, I'll check the relations between all parties in future.

At a bit of a loose end at the moment as everyone in Ireland who isn't in my Petty Kingdom are somehow related to each other or some Scots and Welsh so they have potential allies with the +30 marriage ties modifier so I won't win a popularity contest. So I'm just biding my time, developing my holdings and keeping an eye out for any deaths or broken alliances I can seize on.

GreenMarine posted:

I haven't played in a long time and recently got back into this with all the expansions.

The early polish war tribe game as Silesia has been really fun and now I'm an Emperor! My question is does this game have a badboy mechanic? It seems like all wars are closely regulated through rules, so it's not clear to me if a badboy mechanic is needed. But I've been expanding like nuts using my "subjugate X" claims that I seem to periodically get for free.

I'm pretty new (see this page) but I'm fairly sure there isn't. If you don't have a Casus Belli, you can't start a war, if you do, fair play.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Managed to form the Kingdom of Eire by pouncing on the last independent county when they lost ally status with Scotland! Going about unifying now, I've managed to take one further county, I have my chancellor sowing dissent between the two counties of Tir Conaill in the North and I'm fairly sure that the Queen of Mumu's heir will have very poor allies, if any.

I wonder if I could go for a marathon and end up with a massive Irish Empire in EU4/V2? Would be pretty mental but not sure how fun it would be.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 24, 2015

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Still chugging away, throwing the Welsh out of Ireland, county by county, not hard as they're fighting a massive revolt at the same time.

My amazing 60-year reign King died and his son isn't too bad considering he was the spare and the original heir died at 21. No sign of plots just yet. Problem is that he has no kids despite being Midas Touched and married to another Midas Touched for 6 years. Game over if he dies :ohdear: Stay safe and make babies, Fursu.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Man computer vassals are stupid as gently caress. In my Byzantium game I took Rome and one of the other counties after fabricating claims, figuring I'd have a de jute claim on the third county in the duchy. So I gave the duchy of Rome to my son and he immediately declared war on the Papacy. The pope is rich as hell and hired about 12k mercenary troops, while my son the King of Croatia kept sending armies of 4k dudes to get annihilated. If he'd consolidated his forces he'd have easily won. Smdh. He has a high martial skill too and the computer tends to consolidate when I fight them so I dunno wtf.

This saved my dynasty on my Ireland game. The King of Norge wanted my only duchy, Mide, and could easily have annihilated me if he didn't keep sending his many troops over in groups of less than a thousand. Of course, once he'd really worn me down and a group of 4,000 Norwegian troops landed in Ireland, he happily accepted White Peace.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Which mods are OK to add mid-game? I fancy a bit more variation in my Ireland game. Nothing too drastic, just after more events and traits, really.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Welp, my Kingdom of Eire lasted 90 years before my cousin, the King of Scotland declared war on me over the Kingdom and called the King of England in on his side. Even with heavy use of mercenaries, I couldn't turn back their 30K deathstack.

loving ouch. I should probably have answered the call to war a bit more often I guess?

e: So where do I go from here? Try to gobble up a few more counties until I can get independence from Scotland? They're very strong at the moment and are murdering England in an excommunication war.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 31, 2015

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

When I lost my status as Queen of Ireland to the Scots, I kept some of my vassals but lost others. What controls that?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Ah, so I'm the same rank now. Yeah, that makes sense, I still have my Counts but not my Dukes, thanks.

e: What.

The Emir of East Anglia and his sidekick the Sheikh of Norfolk :psyduck:

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 1, 2015

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Hahahaha, you even called the King of England in and you still lost like a bitch. Aulay III, King Guy, Duke Richard the Kind, your boys took a hell of a beating!

74 year old Queen Lann regains control of the Kingdom of Eire.

Not quite sure why that Scottish Revolt will result in me losing my Kingdom if they win so hopefully my levy will restore enough in time. I'm pious enough for a holy order, anyway.

e: My Queen died at 76 and her fairly decent grandson has taken over. The Kings of England and Scotland are still related and the King of Scotland still has a strong claim on Eire at the age of 22, so plenty of time for this to get ugly. Just the 25K troops between them :shepface:

England still rocking the Fatimid-controlled East Anglia which I can't fathom at all.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 2, 2015

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

This might get lost in the Horse chat, but after crushing a revolt, what do you do with the captured vassals? It seems a bit weird that stripping a traitor of their titles is seen as tyrannical.

e: Just seen the 'as Duke Suchandsuch is a traitor, our vassals won't care', text. I'm a fool.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Adun posted:

Awesome expansion news. Please keep going east to China

Charlz Guybon posted:

Yup, Mongol/Central Asian expansion is an obvious gateway drug for an East Asia expansion.

And after that?

CK2: Kamakura

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

France has seen better days in my save:

e: I have an actual question. Is there an easy way to see which members of my dynasty have claims I can press?

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 4, 2015

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Heh, the already unpopular King of Scotland just asked me to vote on increasing crown authority even though I'm not his vassal.

"Yeah, mate, why not? I'm sure everyone will love it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Makes sense, I hold the Isle of Man.

Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that, turns out I can claim Carrick once my truce runs out :getin:
I've been forced into doing it this way as my chancellors have failed to fabricate a claim in 25 years.

Also, regarding voting for the Scotch crown authority increase, this just happened.

rofl

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 4, 2015

• Locked thread