Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hey do the Norse Portraits not change to suits of armor when leading troops? I notice Rurik looks the same either way, and it makes it kind of annoying to know whether or not a character is currently leading an army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

What are the event ID numbers for the Sunset Invasion? I want to dick around as the Aztecs without waiting for it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hey I bought Sunset Invasion because I wanted to play as an Aztec with TOG, except whenever they invade they just land a large army in Spain and nothing happens. They don't even declare war apparently, so this huge army just sits there.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Reveilled posted:

You can get away with a little bit of inbreeding without ill effect for the most part, poo poo like Charles II of Spain only happens when you replace your famiy tree with a pole.

Keep in mind this applies to real life as well :pervert:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Grem posted:

I'd have to buy it first, right?

edit: NM I'm an idiot, found the demo

Its a website.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Isn't flavorful titles a separate mod that got bundled together with CK2+ anyways?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Listen, I'm all for sacrificing historical accuracy in the name of gameplay eroticism.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I kind of want to see a mod now where characters can have only incestuous relations. Just to see how fast the world turns into a bunch of incompetent inbred retards.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I kind of wish Paradox would just release music bundles for all the song dlc.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

CK2+ used to be essential but now most of the things it added are part of the base game and the mod team is making questionable decisions so I don't really recommend it anymore.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That's a good start, but you need to go further. Those Roman usurpers are holding lands that historically belong to the Persian Empire.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mister Bates posted:

Is it possible to restore the Roman Empire as anyone other than the Byzantines? Because I would love to see a game ending in an epic showdown between the Byzantine Empire, a restored Roman Empire, the Holy Roman Empire, a horde of Ottoman Turks, and a united Imperial Russia.

The Battle of Five Romes. :getin:

Well you could restore Rome as the Byzantines and then pull a Diocletian and split it into two. Basically that would mean forming the kingdom titles for the Eastern Empire and handing them off to someone Greek and granting them independence. I don't know if the Roman Empire tag overrides the Byzantine one, if it doesn't then they should be able to create the empire on their own (or you could switch over and do it).

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Torrannor posted:

And what is it with people who think cock size or something needs to be represented in the game? Wasn't there some mod that had traits like "hung" and the like? Seems like there is a real demand for this. :stonk:

Look I just... need to know if I'm bigger than William the Bastard, okay?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

arhra posted:

There should be Christians in India during the CK2 time period, though, so religious differences alone probably won't be enough to completely prevent it.

This gives me an idea for a CK2 game:

-Start in Old Gods time period as a Muslim or Pagan power.
-Subjugate Christendom.
-Tag switch to a Nestorian Indian Raja and become real life Prestor John, rescuing the holy mother church.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Here, I did a really lazy mspaint job to show the scale of India to the existing map. Doesn't line up perfectly because of the changes they made to the mideast so I used the west coast of the Arabian Peninsula be my guide.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The last time they expanded the map, I believe by adding some provinces with LoR, made it so the new provinces would be black if you tried to load an old save. Since there were no defined leaders or province history.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

The player knows it's [probably] just a sinkhole, but the characters ingame worry it's an actual portal to hell. Similarly when your character is "possessed by the devil" he's [probably] just mentally ill. Are levitating Indian monks real? :iiam:

Exactly. It could just be someone doing this old magic trick.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Rajas of India idea: Play as the newly added Beta Israel, create the Kingdom of Israel, put every non-Ethiopian Jew into a refugee oubliette.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You could also grant them independence and just hope they swear fealty themselves.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

e X posted:

Huh, I figured that at least the Ilkhanate and the Timurids appear far enough to the South for this to be a problem.

In the stream it was said that Timur and Seljuk at least show up as special courtiers. I'm not entirely sure what mechanics they use, probably something like unlanded adventurers do, but you can now theoretically assassinate them before hand.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Plus, Crusades, as I understand them, were initially less actual wars between nations than mass migrations/pilgrimages.

Kind of depends one which one you're talking about.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Wezlar posted:

The craziest crusade was the Fourth. Innocent III called it to conquer Jerusalem, but the Crusaders ended up sacking Constantinople instead :lol:

There was also the time Frederick II just asked the Muslims to give him Jerusalem and it worked.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

But a cynical character is more likely to adopt a religion for political reasons than someone who is an ardent believer.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well the beta patch says it makes the decision "more attractive" to the player, whatever that means.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Oh god I just got the joke about the white elephant.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Riso posted:

I don't have ROJ; is it a Moby Dick joke?

Basically a friendly character gives you a white elephant as a gift. It then becomes a giant pain in the rear end where the options are either to keep throwing money at the problem, or give it away and make a rival out of your friend. Its a joke about the cultural concept of 'white elephant gifts', which are really tacky/bad.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You also have to be a Buddhist or a Jain I believe.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think Rajas is one of the better dlcs myself. Whats so bad about it?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Crusader Kings II: Hindi Gadda Da Vedas

e: Crusader Kings II: Now with Indians, from Huitzilihuitl to Hindustan.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Apr 18, 2014

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well now unlanded sons have a chance to become adventurers so get ready for a real clustfuck. :getin:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Edison was a dick posted:

You can't raid other Indian religions.

Yes you can, you just have to make sure the ruler of the province is a different religion, not (just?) the province.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

"This is how a republic dies. Through vaguely understood inheritance mechanics."

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

How do you get rid of event troops? I'm playing with the HIP mod and they gave the Liao waaay too many men.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I never really bothered to learn the combat system in depth like that, but I was under the impression that elephants had the best stats out of any unit type.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

As for the American empire title, there isn't one yet - we're thinking about what to do on that front.

You could just handle it like the Empire of India decision. That's an empire made out of other empires at least.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Still waiting for a tits mod.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

quote:

This is the beefier part of the post, in part because Paradox haven’t actually put up a detailed release announcement of the game yet, and in part because I actually got to talk to a couple of the devs about it: Doomdark and Johan Lerstrom. Rather than an overview, I’m going to break this down into the parts I’ve already mentioned on the forums, and everything else I forgot to mention.

Tribal Holdings
So, the first thing that I accosted Doomdark about was the suitability of feudal mechanics to represent even the Old Gods start date, let alone the newer, earlier start. In return, I was told about a new type of holding that hopes to rectify this: ‘tribal’ holdings.

Tribal holdings (though I don’t know if that will be their actual in game names) sound like they will be much like castles, bishoprics and cities, although Doomdark also put trade posts in that list, which leads me to believe they might be an over-holding of some sort (to prevent the awkwardness of having one holding change to another later in the game). Essentially tribal holdings will represent lands that aren’t properly fortified yet, more owned by virtue of people living there than by people actually building towns etc.

An interesting aspect of tribal holdings, as Johan later expanded on them to me, is that vassals who are ‘tribal’ (presumably a new title equivalent to count, based on your holding type) don’t provide levies in the way that a feudal vassal does. Instead, a tribal vassal must be called to arms, like an ally. In this way, your vassal management becomes much more important, and vassal ties are much looser. A king can only gain power if he is respected enough by his vassals, even more so than currently, and a vassal maintains full control of his own armies, making war much more scattered.

I don’t know if I can emphasise how much I really, really love this idea. The reign of a king in this era was much more loose than CK2 currently has it (and even later than the 1066 start really), and the idea of a king having to scrounge support from vassals rather than just expect them to provide levies feels much more in keeping. In addition, with the elective gavelkind succession, the idea of a king having very little power over his subjects is expanded.

Elective Gavelkind

Sometimes, Empires can get a bit blobby
Which leads us neatly into another interesting new feature, designed for the breaking up of blobs: elective gavelkind. Empires being too blobby has always been a big concern, and even more so with the introduction of a start date that may very well include the entirety of Francia as one huge empire. At least one response to this, which also adds to the susceptibility of tribal civilisations falling apart without a leader, is elective gavelkind.

From what I can tell, elective gavelkind is much like what it sounds: it’s a cross between tanistry and gavelkind. The new ruler must be selected from your dynasty, but I believe that other dynasty members will also get titles, as gavelkind suggests. In addition, upon succession, some vassals may be given the option to become independent, no war involved, much like the decadence mechanics are supposed to work.

The exact nature of this hasn’t been settled on yet, since they’re still testing it out, but it may be based on the power of the vassal relative to liege, the opinion of the vassal, or perhaps even a choice that everyone is given regardless, and then acted on appropriately. In any case, this serves to make early empires more likely to break apart, and perhaps constantly try and put themselves back together, in a way that current succession laws don’t.

My only hesitation with this is that it will probably still be too easy to get a big mid-late game empire going. Once elective gavelkind is gone, I’m not sure what will be used to try and break apart large empires that have formed under primogeniture, or even normal elective. So, while this should solve the early Karling problem, I don’t think it will do anything for the HRE, or for later game blobs. We shall see however: blobbing is clearly something in the forefront of the minds at Paradox, so hopefully this will also be settled. One possible solution is:

Vassal Limit
A new limit, much like the current demesne limit, will be imposed upon rulers with the introduction of the Charlemagne DLC. This limit does exactly what it suggests: it imposes a soft-cap on the number of independent vassals you can have in your realm before you start taking penalties. To offset this, you will be encouraged to hand out more duchy titles, and perhaps even kingdoms, as your empire becomes too large for you to manage each vassal yourself.

This is a great idea, and as unfortunate as it may be to have to impose rules like this, rather than providing encouragement for playing the game in a certain way, I think it fits in very well with the current demesne limit. It makes sense that if you can only manage so many holdings yourself, you can logically only manage so many vassals as well before you become stretched thin. This is why vassals exist in the first place.

In addition, this adds a new balancing factor to crown law. As crown law gets higher, and the monarch begins to exercise more direct control over his vassals, the vassal limit will decrease, so that more titles need to be handed out. This means that going up to absolute crown law will not only make your vassals like you less, but also encourage you to give those vassals more power as well, to help maintain the laws you impose.

As said before, I very much hope this will be the way to make empires crumble. With low crown laws, empires can be sprawling, but somewhat weak, with fewer levies to help defend against outside threats and even factions, and less control over their vassals. As crown law increases, larger vassals will come into play, curbing the power of monarchs who they don’t like, making factions more likely to spawn. Ultimately, this may see more independence factions firing and being successful. Fingers crossed.

Seasons
Finally, seasonal changes, similar to EU4. I think everyone has been expecting something like this for a while, and I guess that Paradox decided to just throw it in there now. Seasons should have an effect upon attrition in provinces, making war in winter a more dangerous affair, and there was a hint that weather might effect combat, perhaps by changing terrain. Whether this will just affect military educations (fights better in snowy conditions) or whether there will be a weather effect on combat I’m not sure, but in either case this is a change I don’t have much to say on other than it’s there.

Overall, I think that might be all the information I got out of developers. I didn’t have my journalism hat on at the time, so I didn’t chase up nearly as many questions as I should have done, but hopefully that puts some fears to rest that people may have had. I know that I started off very disappointed in the idea of a further timeline extension, but having discussed with the devs, this sounds much more thought out than I gave them credit for. Here’s hoping that everything goes as well as it does in my imagination.

Source.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Speaking of Republics, is there any particular reason why you can't play Venice in later starts?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Historically accurate, they control all the great empires of the world. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well if you use Steam's beta patch feature you can roll the game back to before RoI's patch.

• Locked thread