Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I just looted a +2 Handaxe. Praise be to the All-Father! :black101:

(+2 to martial skill random event, seriously)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Old Gods informs me that the duchy of Greater Poland is actually a republic, and I can't play republics despite having the proper DLC. What's wrong? Also, can you adjust the date pre-1066?

The Republic DLC, unfortunately, only unlocks Trade Republics like Venice, Genoa, Pisa, etc. You'll know them by the presence of Patricians within the realm, and of course, their capital being on a coast for access to ships. Everything else is considered a "peasant" republic and cannot be played.

Keep in mind that when you pick a Republic at start, you're picking that Republic for good. You can go up ranks so Venice can become the Empire of Italia, but you cannot move and lose your capital, and you cannot declare independence from your Republic because that turns you into a peasant republic.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Don't forget to park a fleet by your raiders while looting. I must've looted several thousand ducats while burning Scotland and a traitorous Ivar that went Catholic, except I forgot to do that. :doh:

Though I'm not sure what happens if the raid targets border your counties or aren't on the coast. Sometimes I could clearly see money going into my treasury, sometimes not at all. There was even a time where I raided a coastal province that had both a fleet and one of my counties beside it, but I wasn't sure if I was getting the loot or not.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh man, this Venice start looks absolutely brutal. Is there a way to get a claim + revokation on the two other cities in the starting province for an early boost, or will I have to count on the Byzantines/Aghbadids/Italians getting caught up in civil wars and sniping open provinces?

EDIT: Oh, Venice is de jure part of Byzantium at the Old Gods start date. Might be able to snipe Sicily this way.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 29, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Randarkman posted:

Anyone else experienced the Norse turning to Christianity?
Just began to happen in my game, somewhat without me realizing it, first out was Denmark I think where it seems it went somewhat from the ground up.

Yeah: in a custom ruler Irish Viking game (replaced count of Dublin), I had Ivar the Boneless go Catholic sometime after his initial invasion. By this time I had conquered four Irish counties while his initial doomstack had been worn down, so I used it as a convenient excuse to gain my independence and eventually unite Ireland.

Ireland is still the best newbie-friendly start, even in Old Gods. Also, the Scandinavian Norse have problems with Gavelkind, but as an Irishman you get access to Tanistry without having to reform! The only problem I can think of with the start is not having easy access to Norse holy sites, so you'll be missing out on limiting the power of your vassals with Medium+ Crown Authority. Catholic rebels will also bother you every so often, but I prefer to think of them as free blot fodder.

Next time I might try turning Ulster into a Republic vassal for even more money, and the spectacle of Irish mercantile Vikings causing hell in the Mediterranean every time I want a new upgrade for my castles.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

GrabbinPeels posted:

Playing as the King of combined Italy/Lotharingia/Aquitaine/Burgundy, vikings keep dropping off less than a thousand men in my Dutch territories, sitting in front of the castle they don't have enough men to siege for a couple of days, and then leaving. I am unimpressed.

They don't need to, man; they're just there for the easy loot that isn't secured by castle fortifications. What pillagers like are counties with Cities as their capitals. Easy to siege, big money inside.

Paradox, please make a mapmode that shows what type of holding is the capital of a county, so I can maximize my looting efficiency!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

crm posted:

when you're raiding, is it better to sit there and seige or just move quickly between areas?

I take the time to siege if the capital holding in the county is a Temple or City. Goes down quick, usually gives you around 50 ducats even with the less-developed cities. Otherwise, pack it up and move on once all the free loot taken.

Of course, Venice is a big exception. It's worth it to crack the castle so you can get at the rest of the cities in the province. Sometimes I wonder if it's better to let the Doges fill in the holding slots before looting all their poo poo.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
So is it a guarantee for unlanded sons in Viking realms to say "gently caress it, I'll conquer my own drat land :black101:"? Gavelkind sucks so I use Tanistry, but I feel kinda sad for the guys who get left out.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Anidav posted:

I don't get it, whenever I send a guy to try and convert a pagan province the ruler of the place just locks him up instantly. Is it broken?

I treat missionaries as blot fodder. Either that or their lieges are arranging them permanent vacations. Why would you give up the :black101: lifestyle for communions and getting bitched at by the Pope?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Anidav posted:

But is it broken?
I want my Muslim Swedish Superpower of Hilarity.

Could be that the built-in opinion penalty is a bit too much for pagan leaders to allow the missionary to do his work. They're not doing themselves any favours by getting all bitchy about pagan lifestyles and yelling that they'll all burn in hell, after all.

But I'm pretty sure it can work: I've had Denmark turn Catholic at one point, which obviously was a bad idea since Norse Sweden started shanking them in the back while their holdings in England got sniped by the Anglo-Saxons, all in the middle of a big civil war since the Jarls didn't approve of their King's conversion.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

BabyFur Denny posted:

And all the Kings are related and have claims on each other.

And all of the kingdoms run on Gavelkind, to make everything even more chaotic.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Does anyone know what to edit so I can assign women as army leaders? My last king had no sons so it defaulted to my badass warrior daughter, but gender bias during the Medieval Ages or not, I can't see a warrior queen not being allowed to lead her own drat army.

vvv: Got it. Thanks to both of you for the help!

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 4, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Can't take male concubines as a female pagan. Of course, in the event that I get a homosexual ruler I'm going to check if you can make concubines of their preferred sex. If you can, that goes into the "PFY little things in games" thread, and if not, someone is going to mod it and that'll go into the Awful Game Mods thread.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

beedeebee posted:

In other news, I decided to try and play as a Merchant Republic, since I bought all of the DLC anyway. The interface looks pretty.
I juist have to build as much trade posts in 1 sea as possible right? And since I can just build tradeposts in counties I don't own, why should I try to gain more counties/duchies/w/e?

For even MORE money, dude!

On a serious note, trade zones give a tax bonus to cities located in them, as well as ensuring that that trade post won't be the target of embargo wars from their owners. Besides, once you have enough TPs and your cash flow is so good you can have mercenary companies on your payroll permanently, or you can afford to maintain a huge retinue thanks to the Garrison line of buildings in trade posts and your family estate's Military Warehouse line, what else are you use them for?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hell yes, Retract Vassals is just what I wanted. The only thing better than pretty borders is pretty borders in pretty borders. No need to cook up convoluted-rear end plans just to make sure this one Duke doesn't get more land than what he deserves just because he got some landless courtier over on to his side and declared war.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

Do they get sore about it?

Yeah, -60 for the poor fucker, -15 for everyone else. I'm not sure what happens if the vassal in question is supposed to answer to you de jure, but mousing over the opinion score says that the penalty is for retracting a de jure vassal of theirs, so I guess the -15 doesn't appear if the guy is sniping counties beyond his actual duchy.

Looks like multiple-duchy vassals will still need some cloak and dagger to neuter, but retracting is still pretty drat good for keeping everyone else down.

Addendum: Wow, the nerf to Trade Post garrisons is huge. I had 11 maxed garrisons in trade posts plus a fully upgraded military warehouse line in the family palace, and the patch brought it down from 60k+ to 26k~. drat nobles trampling down the masses :bahgawd:

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 5, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Can I run this windowed? Can't find an option anywhere.

My Docs folder, Paradox Interactive, Crusader Kings 2, settings.txt. Also, the best you can get is an approximation of fullscreen windowed, but that's it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

Edit: Oh and why can't I usurp kingdoms and empires as a Republic? Do I have to make the King of Sweden landless to destroy the title now? Usually I would just usurp and then destroy.

WAD for balance reasons, I believe. If all you want is to destroy the title, then conquering his final de jure county in Sweden should do the trick.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

Well I intended to destroy all kingdom titles I come across and only keep Finland once I form Scandinavia. That would make my vassals less powerful if I keep each one of them to one duchy, right?

You can actually keep the Kingdom titles for yourself along with the Empire, and still limit your vassals to duchies. The only opinion penalty they get is "desires the Kingdom of X"; there's no limit on Kingdom titles like there is for duchies.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

Are you sure it doesn't limit it to 2 or 3 kingdoms? And that opinion penalty is actually one of the things I'm trying to avoid.

It's totally fine. I only worry about having multiple kingdoms if I'm running Gavelkind (which I shouldn't be), and Feudal Elective (which is a non-issue since we're talking Merchant Republics here). It's up to you if you really want to keep the opinion penalties down, but you'll still be taking a hit from your Finnish vassals if you keep the Kingdom of Finland. Personally, I think the prestige bonus you get from all the Kingdom titles makes up for the desires Kingdom penalty; and besides, de jure vassals of the Kingdom title you destroy will also get pissed when you do the deed.

Chalks posted:

As an emperor, is there any reason to create kingdom titles and keep them for yourself besides the prestige boost?

I don't think so; it's all about the prestige and pretty borders for me. :)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Fabricating claims is crazy for me. I can have 3 trigger during a particularly heated war, and then none fire off while I'm at peace for a decade. The moment I declare war for a single claim because I'm tired of waiting on another claim so I can press multiple claims in one war, I get a new one!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is there an overflow problem or whatever with Prestige? I've been spending the last few years or so tearing this two-duchy Duke's demesne/realm since he has random counties and baronies everywhere, plus a successful invasion of Sweden (that didn't get him the crown so he still remained as my vassal). After revoking one of his duchies and 2 or so counties through the revokation plot + free traitor revokation, I noticed by 18k prestige went down to 9k, and it's like exactly 10k prestige vanished since the 9k would've been the right amount after all my wars with him.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Trauma Tank posted:

Not that I've seen - that sounds like you may have broken a truce, as that halves your prestige.

poo poo, you're right. Activating the plot didn't warn me, but I guess I ought to credit that to Paradox for anticipating my antics.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

uh zip zoom posted:

Okay, my first PC has become the king of Norway and Sweden, and controls three of the five Norse holy sites. I want to reform paganism, but I don't have the 50% church authority. How do I improve that?

You can rack up to 10% by looting Temple holdings, and successful Pagan Conquests & Prepared Invasions also work.

Otherwise, you can beeline for the final two sites and you'll be able to reform without the authority requirement.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Thesoldier posted:

Isn't there also a placeholder for a Roman Republic??

I'm pretty sure you get that in the event that, as a Merchant Republic, you restore the Roman Empire. IIRC, you even become the Consul, though that may be from CK2+.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Reveilled posted:

But since you're talking about a county at a time I assume you're unreformed norse using County Conquest CBs. In which case my suggestion would be to wait for Scotland to fall into a civil war, and attempt to ninja counties off of rebelling vassals. You have to be quick because if they lose to scotland before you win then your war just ends, but if Scotland were to completely break down you could, for example, declare five wars at once and try to steal one county off each rebelling vassal.

If you go with this method, if you have enough men to compete and preferably after they take losses against the rebels, try to engage the main Scottish army. By doing this you'll prolong the war since the Scottish stack will then have to replenish in order to siege down the rebels. If you get lucky, you might even inspire more vassals to rebel since the Scottish King will have diminished manpower and they'll take advantage of it if they have beef with him. Thus, you'll get even more potential snipes off the war.

As a bonus, during succession crises, if you can gently caress everyone up enough but keep the loyalists down at the same time so that the rebels win, you'll be able to declare war on the new King if he wasn't a participant in the civil war and his levies should still be depleted compared to yours.

This also works as general advice when your target is big but prone to civil war, like Byzantium and the HRE if a young and/or terrible Emperor takes over.

vvv: True, I have noticed that the AI does tend to make peace deals that screw you out of potential snipes. Though it did happen even before 1.10 came out so it might just be an AI quirk designed to keep us filthy humans down.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jun 8, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

JerikTelorian posted:

I'm looking for a good place to start the :black101:. Tried to do Austiland (eastern half of Iceland) but get immediately subjugated by a Petty King from Norway, which leaves me with little to do. Any suggestions?

Ireland is still the best starter area, but that doesn't mean you have to literally start there. Pick any Norse dude, then conquer the Irish counts one by one. Watch out though, there's an alliance network with three counts in the middle and north areas so don't attack those guys right from the gate. From there, you can take on Scotland which will probably be distracted by Ivar the Boneless.

Of course, if you have the Ruler Designer, you can turn the Norse chief of Dublin into an Irish pagan, or even play as the chief himself.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
So anyone got any recommended and up-to-date mods to use while Wiz is busy with EU4? This VIET thing looks pretty nice, and I want to use Better Armies since it makes grooming my Norse characters to be better warriors actually matter.

Also, something disabling de jure drift would be nice. The AI is all over the place and the Karlings totally mess the balance of central Europe up too much when one of them creates an Empire and has too much support to be toppled.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Diogines posted:

I am sending my court chaplain to provinces where heresy is popping up, but it does not seem to DO anything. I convert plenty of people, but never the province. How can I fight heresy?

Is gaining and losing heretical provinces only event driven and my court priest has no effect?

Nah, it does work, though the chance to convert is affected by some factors that aren't obvious. Mouse over the Proselytize option when you're in the Councillors screen and your chaplain is on his rounds, and you'll see the yearly chance. The moral authority of your religion is a big factor, and in general converting heretics of your religion is much easier than converting other established religions and their heretics.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

What Fun posted:

I've been using VIET. I've not gotten the chance to play CK2+ yet, but VIET is pretty nice. It adds a couple of traits and some minor events, and I think tweaks stuff like letting any female you want be Spymaster. It's got my vote.

Thanks for the recommendation, it looks really neat!

Unfortunately, looks like neither Better Armies nor VIET currently work with the beta patch. Oh well, I've been playing the game constantly since release, so a break might be for the best. :)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Fender posted:

So how does one go about making an empire or big kingdom collapse? Francia is huge in my game (as Denmark) right now. They basically rule all of Europe. I tried leaving them with a hunchbacked moron as a ruler via assassinations. But the kingdom is so huge that even if I can get some Dukes to rebel, it's not enough to overcome those who don't. I don't want to send in my chancellor to go stir up dissent. I've tried assassinations to get a loser in power, I've tried sending money (so much money) to people who don't like the king. What else can I do?

Yeah, this is a big problem with how vassal rebellions primarily work only with factions now. If having a terrible leader isn't enough, and if the empire is Catholic, have you tried sponsoring an Antipope? It'll take time for him to work his heretical magic, but once moral authority is low enough heresies should start tearing the empire apart. Coupled with a dumbass emperor, this ought to work.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Fender posted:

I'm actually the head of the reformed Norse church.

Whoops, sorry, didn't think of that.

Well, I'm stumped. You got a screenshot or something so we can see how bad it is?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Fender posted:

So the year is 1065...

Oh, so the king is a virtuous hunchback? That's still not good: the virtues combined will give a better opinion bonus than the penalty to hunchback. Keep stabbing until the king is an rear end in a top hat with vices and/or genetic defects, and that'll really piss everyone off. I've had empires turn into patchwork hell that way.

Meanwhile, I suppose you can blob up by either subjugating Sweden or speeding your conquest of Ireland since you can easily run them down. If you want to take a gamble, you could declare a Great Holy War for England while the Karlings are busy with a civil war and crush England ASAP before the Germans rally.

DarkCrawler posted:

I haven't played this game for months. Gonna download the Old Gods, but is there a go-to mod now that CK2+ isn't updated anymore?

There'll be one more update, but I think Wiz is waiting on the official release of 1.101. Meanwhile, I've tried out VIET + the More Ambitions mod. They're pretty good actually: though not as extensive as CK2+, the little events, ambitions, and various new traits are fun since you'll always have something to strive for in both peacetime and wartime. Norse pagans benefit doubly since you can get the wartime traits and ambitions simply by going out to loot and burn.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 9, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

LowellDND posted:

Any idea why my council members stats drop occasionally? I keep having to recycle them.

They could possibly be victims of successful discredit plots, or may have gotten new traits that lowered their scores. One I encounter often is landed nobles holding feasts, which give a decent buff to diplomacy for a duration.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

marktheando posted:

Going to try this again with CK2+ and get rid of Rurik's stupid heretic son as soon as possible. How do I mod CK2+ so that reformed norse still get to raid and use rivers? I know it's super unbalanced, but damnit it's fun.

00_religions.txt in the religions folder, then add "allow_looting = yes" to your desired religion. I agree with you on looting too: Wiz is right in that it's too powerful, but looting is what makes Norse Pagans worth playing. Otherwise, I'd rather play other characters.

It's a good thing Wiz is cool with people changing around his mods!

vvv: :zaeed:

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 10, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

tanglewood1420 posted:

What DLCs would you guys consider as definite must have pick ups, if any?

Some of the DLC are basically unlockers for different religions and/or styles of play. Sword of Islam for Muslims, The Republic for Merchant Republics (not inland republics, take note), and the Old Gods for Pagan characters.

The Old Gods is special as it allows you another 200 years of playtime by letting you start at early 867 instead of late 1066 as well allowing access to pagans. Legacy of Rome is a flavour pack for Byzantine characters, but it also unlocks Retinues, which are basically standing armies that are always good to go, unlike the temporary levy system which most medieval rulers used.

Sunset Invasion is an alternate history DLC which will trigger a huge Aztec assault on Western Europe. Probably the most "controversial" DLC of the lot, but it's cheap and it does mix up gameplay since the Western Europeans will then have a Mongol-like threat to deal with.

Personally, I'd nominate the Republic and the Old Gods since their playstyles are very cool and different from how the usual CK2 characters play, and Legacy of Rome for access to retinues. Everything else with "Songs of X" and portrait packs is a cosmetic DLC, so buy them if you like.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 10, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Kainser posted:

Is this a thing? I've only played/handsoffed a handful of games for any serious amount of time so this is obviously anecdotal, but in all my games so have the Karling realms never been united and and even if one guy manages to get 3+ of the kingdoms or so so will they always split up after he dies since it seems to be really hard for them to switch out of Gavelkind.

It's relatively common for some of the four kingdoms to lose their Karling king; the problem is that when that happens, the remaining Karlings will then team up and push their claims. Two kingdoms is plenty of momentum at that point, and then the vanilla problem of empires being too stable takes over. The biggest I've seen a Karling empire get was Francia + Lotharingia + Italy, and the only things stopping it was me gaming their doomstacks, Hispania forming (!), and the fact that the Francian Karlings somehow lost the claim on Germany.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Grem posted:

Looting like normal, yea, raiders, coastal, fleet there. The little raiding bar doesn't show up on the province screen still :(

edit: played with it a bit, looks like I AM looting, but it won't tell me how much I can loot max on the province screen, guess I'll have to guess, or maybe it's unlimited, who knows.

I'm thinking that you mean that you can't see the loot bar when you're sieging, which is WAD. There's supposed to be a button on the siege screen, two arrows I think, that'll switch the province view mode so that you can see the loot bar again.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

I do not have Old Gods dlc(I know, I know) and I'm thinking of downgrading my CK version to play CK+ without issues.

What features/tweaks will I be losing as a non Viking/pagan by rolling back the old gods patch?

The much-improved tech system, and several new de jure Empires as far as I can recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hey, can anyone chime in on this: I've installed the latest version of CK2+ but nearly everyone's coat of arms is still messed up. The HRE's CoA being used by the Byzantines, Venice using the Roman Empire's CoA, etc. I was thinking this was a 2.00 beta thing, but the release version is still jacked.

On the Paradox forums, some dudes are also experiencing it but Wiz's game is fine. I've cleared my cache but it's still not working out. Anyone experiencing this too?

• Locked thread