Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So I guess this may be a loaded question, but, all things being equal: which starting date do you guys find yourselves going back to?

I really like the 769 start, anywhere along the pagan/tribal and Francian kingdoms border. Trying to remain Saxon and Germanic long enough to pull off a prepared invasion under the rule of Charlemegne is my latest self-imposed challenge. It's kinda weird when you're the dude who kills Windikund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Funky Valentine posted:

I still don't understand how people do amazing things with Haestein. Is it exploiting prepared invasions and the Norse coastal CB?

Haestein is a rolling start, he's easy to build momentum with. Brittany has a decent number of holdings, so any prepared invasion is gonna be gently caress-off huge. The duchy also shatters into independent counts, so consolidation is fast. From there you can do pretty much anything, I like pirate lord of the Mediterranean but whatever floats your boat is totally possible.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

paranoid randroid posted:

It's kind of bullshit that imprisoning a guy plotting to raise a host against you in your own court gives you tyranny. The man is eating my food and hanging around my palace while trying to arrange my downfall, how is this unjust?

Guest rights, man... most folks take that stuff pretty seriously.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Gridlocked posted:

Is there a way that I can have a kingdom/duchy become a republic and have a member of my ruling family start up a merchant house there?

For a while at any rate, never seen family fair well when left to their own. It's the same process as any merchant republic. Give a town to a family member, give the county and then duchy.

Seriously though, they gonna get stabbed the gently caress up and be out on the streets within a decade.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Hadaka Apron posted:

I just bought this and have never played a Paradox game before. What's a good kingdom to start as that's not too difficult and not too complicated to play as?

Bjorn Ironside or Haraldr Yngling if you have the Old Gods start. Two pretty powerful characters, easy to form kingdoms and just a tonne of fun poo poo to do. Most folks say Ireland, but Catholics are boring as gently caress.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Knuc U Kinte posted:

That has always worked, though I don't know if they penalty to pagan conversion affects the guardian conversions or if it is just for councillor proselytising.

Just the court chaplain or godi.

I think the easiest way to accomplish the goal would be to start somewhere in Saxony in 869, get conquered, then eventually push south with claim fabrications into feudal lands. Requires some inheritance fuckery to move your capitol, but doable within a generation.

edit: forgot one thing... you're gonna need a tonne of ransom money. Charlemagne will lock you up every few years, regardless if you're his marshall or have a one-hundred green opinion rating. It's difficult to do, but if you can hold out long enough to get a prepared invasion off it's pretty cool.

upgunned shitpost fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 15, 2015

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Volkerball posted:

My experience with attempting to keep a religion alive as a vassal of another religion in ironman has led me to believe that this is not a fun or advisable thing to do. Especially since all of France would be Catholic. Except you. With the moral authority of unreformed germanic, :lol:, I don't see you maintaining the old ways for very long.

Aside from the random bouts of prison, it's not that tough. You lack the cash to upgrade your holdings, since you're kicking it up el jefe as blood money, but if you stay out of factions and move your diplomat between claim fabrication and rear end-kissing totally doable. Most of the time, every now and then you're just gonna get straight up executed.

You only gotta hang on until 893, then you can really start setting your own terms.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Go viking. Hraldar of Viken or Sigurdr Snake in the Eye are fun characters, you'll make more than enough money raiding to fund your way from tribal to feudal. Both are pretty easy to reform the faith with as well.

There are other pagans, but they really just get progressively poorer and less fun to play.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Darth Windu posted:

Can anyone tell me why, as the Viking King of Lithuania, some of my duke-level vassals are kings and some are earls?

Are they ducal titles or tribal ones?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Deific Presence posted:

Ugh, I just had an amazing game as Sigurd Ring that went to poo poo in the blink of an eye and didn't save. I managed to subjugate Denmark almost immediately, then most of Sweden, crushed an independence revolt and got a bunch of the good counties to myself. Then I died from too much sex, and apparently I hadn't kept track of exactly how many children I had. Ragnarr ended up with 2 counties and a bunch of vassals that hated him and I just ragequit because apparently autosave had been disabled.

Inheritence by Thunderdome is literally the best thing about being a viking. You have shamed your people.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I've never not been on top of the viking thunderdome, what happens if you get unlanded by a member of your own dynasty? Do you play as them or is it just game over?

Absolutely no idea. I create as many max levels titles as possible, then pass them out to the kids. Preferably very far away from my primary title holding. Splits things up nicely and removes younger children from the inheritence pool. It's a little difficult to pull off with Sigurdr, but once the later Norse CB's open up, you can pretty much poo poo a kingdom or two every generation and put yourself back under the prepared invasion holding cap.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I've never really had issues with elective and I think the voting patterns are somewhat easy to figure out. One, they're not gonna vote for a baby with zero stats, so there's no point in choosing one of your children as an heir until they've at least finished their education. Two, you have to land your chosen heir after they've been married. It'll help their presitge and piety gains, which in turn helps them get elected. It'll also help if the marriage was political in nature as opposed to a eugenics program, as I'm fairly sure that alliances are given some weight in the voting as well. As a duke, petty king, king and beyond I usually land one of my siblings towards the outer edges of my holdings, bonus if they're Zealous and you border on pagan or heathen lands. It's a safe space to park your vote, keeping your primary title in the family and when you finally want to switch over to one of your own children, they just seem down with the program, regardless of title claims and whatnot.

Basically, for elective to work in your favour, your chosen successor needs prestige, piety, a good wife who's dad has a gently caress-off huge army and maybe a couple of kids of their own.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Ambitious and Diligent are two of the best traits any counsellor or vassal can have, if you want them actually accomplish poo poo. They lower the mean time to happen on events by a huge amount and leads to all sorts of cool stuff, including your very own assassination!

Zealous for court chaplains as well.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Torrannor posted:

You don't want your spymaster to be ambitious!

You people really don't understand fun. If you want a hundred and fifty tech-points in a month, you need an ambitious spymaster. If you want to fabricate a ducal level claim in the space of a few weeks, you need an ambitious chancellor. If you're not rocking a poo poo leader with garbage stats and a massive short-reign penalty, ambitious counsellors are the way to go. A small gift and a bullshit honourary title are usually more than sufficient to keep them from stabbing you up. Most of the time.

monster on a stick posted:

Just FYI she will kill all your current children so her kids will inherit, but if your current kids are jerks this is not a bad thing.

This is what fun looks like, if anyone was curious.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Bold Robot posted:

Does ambitious actually reduce the MTTH for the advisor events like fabricating a claim, or are you just saying this based on them having better stats?

Zealous, diligent and ambitious decrease mtth on several counsellor actions like conversion, settlement, claim fabrication etc. Content, slothful and cynical raise the mtth. Somewhere in the previous 999 pages of this glorious thread, someone explained it all in great detail. I think they effect a stat that's hidden in-game, called zeal, which has an influence on the mtth for all actions they undertake... or that's the stat that governs how likely they are to declare wars, I really don't remember.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Deific Presence posted:

So my glorious Norse Yazidi Merchant Republic of Gotland was eventually crushed after 200+ years once Russia reformed Sumonesko and conquered the poo poo out of me.

I want to play something a little more... traditional. I've done Karl and the Byz, I've attempted William the Conquerer several times to no avail, what are some good Christian Feudal starts? Not really a big fan of giant empires, more like medium sized kingdoms.

Salerno or Benevento are fun. Safe area, lotsa people to gently caress and gently caress up when you want to expand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Crusader Kings II: We are all Walder Frey.

• Locked thread