Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
After a lot of trial and error, my Byzantine Empire is metastasizing like a great purple cancer, and actually making it through succession without being ripped about by internal power grabs.

I think 'I've developed a pretty good understanding of how to keep my vassals under control and pass on my legacy, but some mechanics elude me. Like Jihads. They're always so power that it seems like cheating. One second, I don't see anything. A week after some caliph declares the Jihad, suddenly there's 40 thousand soldier all over Anatolia. How do they raise such huge armies and move them into my domain so quickly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
Inviting new people to my court to fill out new vassalages, or simply filling the position by right click? Is one better than the other? Besides the fact that inviting noble/holy men costs resources. I see it is a form of gambling. You might eventually get a better than average courtier after shilling out lots of gold or piety.

Also, is there any good reason to devolve my vassal, to become sub-vassals, unless those those first vassals hate me and i'm not getting much money or support from them?

Somehow, one single barony in the Prince-Bisphoric of Rome is controlled by the King of West Francia, and it's keeping me from mending the schism until I take it from him.

As a side note, the Emperor's wife really runs the show in this Roman Empire. That's pretty normal for the Byzantines.

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 1, 2013

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
I mended the schism in 940, and beat back every jihad they tried. I guess crusades will never be a thing?

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
I captured the Caliph in battle, and then enforced my demands for victory. Then, he was immediately released? Come on, I should have at least been able to demand a huge ransom.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

NihilCredo posted:

Well, you can either release him in exchange for his surrender or for his ransom, just not both. (If you have already won the war and don't need the automatic 100% from imprisoning the enemy ruler, ransom him first then finish the war as normal.)

I admit that I was so happy at the prospect of not having to squash an endless wave of reinforcement from every Sunni leader around, that I just mashed the "enforce demands" button without really paying attention. I mean, I would have won, but look at that contribution from other people. He only contributed about 1/4 of the troops that I squashed.

Also, I've had his wife in prison for about ten years. I wonder if they got see each other for a bit.

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 9, 2013

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

My success in CKII is beginning to mirror how war evolved in real life Europe. I no longer ever rely on my vassals to to provide levies, except in dire emergencies or to squash peasant revolts that pop up on the opposite side of the Mediterranean that retinue army is on.

My vassals are basically only there to generate revenue. I took the most valuable counties for myself, then adjusted the laws to reduce levy obligations and increase taxes across the board. I then invested that money in training grounds for my castles, and assassinating enemy leaders so I could renew wars against them quickly.
m with
I think I can refine this a little further. I'm going to try and revoke as many feudal vassals as I can, to replace them with clergy and burghers.

I love this game's events

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 18, 2013

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

Alectai posted:

Huh.

So, my second generation ruler was the Devil Child.

In the Old Gods start time.

300 Heavy Cavalry and cheatingly good marshals goes a long way to get you an initial nest egg when nobody else has the best units yet. I wasn't even planning on going conquest, but I seem to have already accidentally a kingdom.

Any good ways to separate from my current liege so I can form my own kingdom and start looking at snipping up rebellions from the Umayyad? And would there be any way to bluff my current liege into allowing me to separate? Or does the computer always go "I WILL NOT BE BLACKMAILED".

(Because I did get that response despite having 600% of the duke's power when I decided to claim the Duchy.)

The percentages seem to lie a lot. When I was pushing my war machine against a succession of Caliphs, I had a 50% chance of assassinating the guy. It took ten tries. Also, my vassals only have a 5% chance to revolt, but no King has ever given up his title willingly.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
My worthless son inherited, and the Doux of Jerusalem pulled a 150k doomstack after making his ultimatum for independence. My warscore dropped to -50 before I could even load my first units onto a boat over there. Luckily, assaination is really good after recovering this situation, as somehow a rebel's heirs won't continue pushing the attempt at independence.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

The Roman Empire will expand no further, at least in this game. That was certainly fun, even it started to take forever to administrate this thing by the end.

Things I would do differently now that i've played a bit. Make sure to replace every native ruler with one of your own culture and religion. It's so annoying to look at half of my despots and see a -15 opinion modifier for "foreigner". This wasn't the case in traditionally Pagan or Islamic areas, when I took over the place in a holy war and booted everyone out to put my own guys in.

I wish this game had a "print dynasty" option

The Emperor, my husband, has decided to become celibate. I looked at his stats after this, and he's infirm. Did I break him?

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 24, 2013

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

I had it all. My grandfather started a count in Nantes and died the King of Bertangaland. Two generations later, I had brought the kingdom of Denmark into the fold, and maneuvered my son to inherit the throne of Norway. Soon, we'd reform the Norse Pagan religion and be unstoppable.

The old king dies, and his adult son inherited. However, it couldn't last. Try as I might, I couldn't kill my brother who had inherited Denmark by way that damned Gavelkind. I sought to remove him from the equation by simply conquering Denmark again. I was at 85% warscore over my brother, then I walked into a inn with tons of fertilizer under the floor.

Oh poo poo, now we're in trouble. I never really wanted to give up the throne, but I wish someone would hurry up and kill me so my uncle can inherit it all and patch it back together again. 10 years of unceasing rebellion and opportunistic attacks follow. Even if I was bumped off now, it would be too late to fix.

:negative:

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 6, 2014

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

C'mon kid, we're Vikings, not barbarians.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
My Norse empire has expanded to the point that any remaining threats are essentially trivial, so i'm thinking of moving on to something else.

I'm going to try and re-enact the story of King John plotting to convert England to Islam to get himself out under the thumb of the Pope. Since Catholicism is a reformed religion, and Muslims won't send missionaries, how should I approach converting? Try to marry a Muslim courtier and wait for a conversion event?

I want to avoid the ruler designer, anyway.

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 20, 2014

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

monster on a stick posted:

Is there a (non-cheating) way of moving a decent sized empire to Elective? It's relatively easy to meet most of the requirements (even having all vassals like you) except for the drat "no vassals fighting each other" even at medium Crown Authority.

Mostly because I'd like to give the genius daughter a shot since this generation doesn't have any genius males, and I'd prefer not to go stabby time on everyone else in line. Plus elective gives a sweet approval bonus since all my vassals think they have a voice, even if they end up voting for my chosen heir anyway 90% of the time.

He's in your court, right? Make him head of an army and march him off to certain death.

Isn't elective succession a fairly common faction demand, even when you're not normally able to select that law by choice? If so, i'd just let my vassals get annoyed with me, and wait for them to demand it.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
I've got a pretty significant Jewish Hungarian Empire of Carpathia coming along. I chiseled away at the west for about a century, taking Italy and eventually stabilizing my borders at West Francia. I figured i'd have to knock Catholics out of the running before I could gain a foothold in the middle east, but when I finally turned around and looked at it, the Byzantines had become obscenely powerful. One of the various Islamic empires usually beats them out of Syria, but this this time they're unstoppable, and took Jerusalem before I could. Without overpowered holy orders, it's going to be a task beat them. I'm starting to consolidate my military organization technology in Rome, but so far I can only field about a 10K retinue, and they routinely pull out 25K plus in a holy war. Also, is it normal for me to only have access to 4 mercenary companies? I have plenty of cash, but my ability to call up emergency forces is gimped.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
I should be angry when I find that several of the provinces which revolted after a succession were conquered by foreign powers, but i'm guilty of doing the same thing to enemies all the time. :silent:

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
I had just Restored the Kingdom of Israel and was laying the foundation for the third temple, when I got a notification to call in an ally for fighting an orthodox uprising. My nephew had become the Grandmaster of the Knights of Santiago. A Castillian Catholic. He was the third of five children, and all the others were Hungarian Jews. I wish I had paid more attention to him.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
They're finally blocking North Korea mode? It's about time.

Paradox posted:

Much less likely to form factions against characters they have a high opinion of.
Will no longer declare suicidal faction independence wars that only have a fraction of their liege's power.

Thank god. I got sick of dealing with independence movements perpetually at 33% when my vassal with lowest opinion is at +40

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 18, 2014

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

Node posted:

I really need to see the Spawn of Satan event text where Satan regrows your testicles.

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

I love this game's events

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

DrPop posted:

Does anyone else think that civil war warscore needs a serious rework? Now that I actually have to fight difficult ones since I'm playing Ironman, there is nothing more frustrating than losing 40% warscore because the rebels occupied a castle and city in bumfuck nowhere while you route their armies across the entire world. I recently defeated a revolt in my Alexiad ironman game as my regency'd new ruler against rebels that had roughly the same number of forces as me and lasted for-loving-ever. At one point I had something like +84% warscore from battles, but because the rebels occupied some loyalist castle in Sinai, I was forced to play whack a mole cleanup against a myriad of 200-person-strong rebel armies while trying to retake the occupied castle on the other end of the empire.

I can totally understand taking significant warscore hits when I lose holdings that are part of my demense, but getting hosed over over by losing castles at the edge of the world feels bad, man.

I'm hoping that the new "single rebel realm" mechanics in the coming patch will make the rebel forces act more in unison and less like a disorganized mob, because civil wars can feel artificially lengthened with the way they work now.

I hate how they swarm like ants in all directions, with just enough troops to capture holdings, and they all immediately run when your army approach any of them. I have to split up my stack into 6 smaller ones so I can caputure a place while harrasing them so much they can't sit on anything long enough to capture it.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

I like the republic mode so far. It's harder to "blob" and cover the coast with trade posts, but without nobles you're free to get down to the nitty gritty of screwing anyone and everyone to promote your dynasty's interests.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

Republics are pretty hard to get off the ground, but once it got going the stability was amazing. It was such a pain to take over Italy, since Republics can't usurp kingdom level titles.

I had earlier placed a member of my dynasty on the byzantine throne, but he kind of failed at living. At least he converted the country to Catholicism. I want to see if my pet Pope can grant an invasion. From there, i'll try to restore the Roman Republic.

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 24, 2014

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

My bro initially didn't want to grant an invasion, because he like the current Byzantine ruler too much. So, I supported a drunken lout usurper. That was the excuse we needed.

Now, i'm a Republic with (another) crazy overpowered CB.

To be honest, I was never really aware of a courtier limitation. It always felt like there was a shortage of people eligible to inherit for sure. I thought that was because I was marrying them off to royalty a little to enthusiastically.

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 24, 2014

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

grancheater posted:

Also non parent-to-children succession will help you pass the throne to non less inbred branches of the family.

I had a game where I mended the schism, making catholicism an heresy, which then immediately became the predominant religion, making orthodoxy an heresy.

It happens to mia/monophysiasm all the time. I've seen it switch twice in a single game.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

I sort of wonder, if Israel ever gets the opportunity to build a third temple, would they resume all rituals like animal sacrifice?

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
I suppose the elephant retinue will dominate in melee and be second best at pursue, when the enemy is making GBS threads their pants and running away.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

nutranurse posted:

poo poo yeah bring on the medieval elephants

This happened in antiquity actually, but the drawing's medieval! You can tell because it looks like a 10-year-old drew it.

The Medici's brought the first giraffe into Europe that had been seen since Roman times. Imagine if the the Medici's had brought a rhinoceros. "At long last, the fabled unicorn is found!"

edit: Wait, actually one was given to a Medici pope! Leo X. Dürer's Rhinoceros. That was outside of the timeline of CKII though.

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 25, 2014

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
50 years is too long of a wait before you can put up a new antipope since the last one was deposed.

Also, how is it that NPC's seem to have no problem marrying people of the opposite religion, but every time I try it, they just say "must not marry an infidel!". I had an adventurer show up when I was on an early crusade. I ignored it until the crusade was over, when I realized he had 40 thousand troops. I just decided to let him have the duchy. X years later, there was another crusade in Andalusia, and his doomstack won him the highest contribution so he became the ruler of that place. His successor ended up marrying a Yazidi woman, since that heresy had triumphed over Sunni Islam.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

I haven't played this game since old gods came out. How much content is there in Sons of Abraham? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth 10 bucks, but I imagine that old gods itself should be plenty of content for me!

I haven't got the devil child event after 100 hours of playing various Christians. I feel cheated.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
Is the game crashing a lot for anyone else? It never did before ROI.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
Why am I not able to request a crusade against the ilkhanate? I can do it against other infidels just fine, but the option is greyed out for the ilkhante even though every condition is met.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

Thrasophius posted:

Are the ilkhanet actually landed by this point? As in they aren't a horde because you can't crusade for land if they have no land to begin with.

They're definately landed. They just lost an independence revolt to Persian machineans which split their realm in half.

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 6, 2014

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
ROI has brought on some interesting bugs but this is ridiculous. A king who's the vassal of a duke? I can't declare war on him because he's not independent, but his liege only controls Nepal so I can't subjugate the area i'm interested in.

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 19, 2014

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
I can only imagine what an adventurer thought he could gain by accepting my invitation to court. Thanks for making it easy. :ese:

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

Bishop Rodan posted:

Yes.

YES

The father of the devil spawn turned out to be a lunatic. I love this game. :allears:

Your heir is patrilineally descended from Muhammad, and a Greek Orthodox Roman Princess?

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
It took a few tries to take over the Samanids as Karen and survive long enough to establish a stable Zoroastrian kingdom that could chip away at the Saffarids. The constant revolts in this area helped a lot to destabilize him. I swore fealty, then held my event troops far away while his army was demolished, and pounced by demanding elective succession then installing myself as ruler.

I believe that you should be able to join a national or religious uprising if you're the same culture and religion.

Also, I never realized just how rich these rebel leaders could be. I usually just let them lounge around in my jail.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
My freshly Persian-faced emperor and newly minted Saoshyant.

The Middle East and Arabian Peninsula have gotten a bit weird since the Zoroastrianism began to reassert itself. I want to see if the AI will form the Abyssinian Empire, but first they have to usurp Egypt off the Tulunids.

Also, even imgur has a loving captcha now?

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 12:49 on May 20, 2014

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
That's only for historical purposes, or perhaps screwing around with the ruler designer. You can browse the previous rulers of the Byzantine empire all the way back to Augustus, and those long dead rulers had it. There's no character or province left which still practices it.

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 13:17 on May 20, 2014

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

Beamed posted:

Just gonna note that it's totally not the right religion and the idea that the Roman gods were the same as the Hellenic gods stems from a fundamental misunderstanding of Classical religion. :colbert:

The Roman religion was intentionally syncretic and the Roman state encouraged the idea that other gods were just different manifestations of a Roman god with similar attributes.

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 13:24 on May 20, 2014

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

Little_Viking posted:

Oh nice! Persian unit and Portraits out this morning. I now can start digging into the Zoroastrians! Anyone have any tips so I don't just get smashed right away?

As Karen, swear fealty immediately to your Muslim neighbor to the right. Most of the lands are still Zoroastrian, so he'll get lots of revolts. Just wait for one to happen and he'll lose a lot of troops, then pounce and demand elective succession and install yourself as ruler. I mostly expanded by exploiting the Saffarid's instability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
The slowdown in ironman has become unbearable. My Indian empire has expanded into Lithuania, but it takes five seconds for a single day to pass.

• Locked thread