Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

nothing to seehere posted:

Yea, Ivar is a nice start to introduce the new Viking stuff. I started as him, and the doomstack you start with allowed me to easily take over Northumberland and East Anglia. From there I kicked the king of Scotland around until I upsurped his title, then kicked him round some more. Inbetween I went to raids of the med, and Muslim Spain is nice raiding target, aslong as you amke sure no troops reach you.

If you take the become king of Scotland ambition as Ivar, you gain the Subjugation CB in addition to the one-province pagan conquest CB you already have. O

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Holy poo poo, Ivar just got the Berserker trait leading an army at age 61. He now has 29 martial skill :psypop:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

What turns West/East Francia into France and Germany?

e: Looks like they added a trigger for changing the name of a country and it fires in the 900s in the history files, but I don't know what triggers it in-game. I haven't played as them yet, just Vikings. k_germany becomes e_hre in 936.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 28, 2013

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Cityinthesea posted:

I did this with my brother.

not 3 days later my ruler dies from natural causes.

The king of Lochlainn, i.e. Gothfraid, died of a sudden hideous disease. Thus it pleased God.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I thought I'd seen everything in this game, now West Francia lost Aquitaine to the Muslims in a holy war (legacy of Charles Martel ruined) and they were so distraught that... West Francia became France and is now a papal fief run by a lowborn pope. :wtc:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I don't know. 75 years later the rest of France fell to the Muslihiddin Caliphate (the Umayyads fell about a hundred years ago) which stretches from Mauritania to the Seine. The Pope's primary title is King-Bishop of France so the Papacy is a one-province minor called France centered on Rome.

Also Byzantium is Catholic. There is one Orthodox duchy left in the world.

It's run by a 27-year-old 0/15/12/18 Serbian.

In the Duchy of Bosnia.

In the de jure Kingdom of Croatia.

I might need to watch the AI tear my empire apart and switch over to this guy.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 10, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Ah drat, Glorious Serbia falls to the Byzantines within a decade and there's nothing I can do. Oh well, seeing that it somehow became Elective succession I joined the Empire and now my plan is to fifth column my way into making it Orthodox again. I haven't played much Byzantium. I just won a revolt to bring it down to medium authority so no wars on other vassals until I can knock it down again. I've got 6 daughters so I guess it's time to get all stabby stabby.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Aug 10, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I got a big enough faction to revolt for Byzantine lower crown authority, declared my revolution, and got an event saying people have flocked to my banner and giving me an extra 20k stack to go with my 17k revolter vassal army. I guess they really don't like the Basilissa :stare:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Another thing is micromanaging the education of kids that have a huge chance of dying in childhood would be super annoying, not to mention the massive amounts of bungled successions. For gameplay reasons it's better to have fewer children in the game period.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Funky Valentine posted:

How am I supposed to maneuver my grandchildren onto every throne in Europe if they die before puberty?

:ese: everyone in front of them.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Mega-Britannia broke up after the first emperor died. The Wendish Empire immediately broke off, Rus revolted, Britannia still holds the Scandinavia title but Sweden and Finland revolted. The Kingdom of Denmark no longer exists.

Meanwhile in Europe the Karlings had a billion kids but that didn't appear to be the problem here.

Sadly, I am but a lowly Doux in Byzantium. I've led and won two civil wars to reduce crown authority in 15 years though. Eat poo poo Basileus.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 11, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Funky Valentine posted:

9.9/10 of the time, the Caliphate(s) are formed by Bedouins, Andalusians, or Berbers. Titles owned by characters of those cultures take on the dynasty name (and in the case of Muslims, the emblem is replaced by the dynasty standard.)

Going by the color, it's probably some randomly generated Muslim dynasty that took over the Idrisids and proceeded to unlock the full potential of Islam.

Now you will witness the full power of this religion *points clown car at France*

What's the best way to get your hands on a ducal claim these days anyway? Marry your heir to one of their children down the line of succession and stab your way into the top 3 before the duke kicks it? I haven't played as a subject ruler since Republic came out. The Basileus being a moron who keeps declaring holy wars on the giant Muslim country next to the Empire pretty much lets me win whatever revolt I start so I've gotten authority from High to Limited in 15 years and can go to war to press claims again.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 11, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I did end up having to become Catholic and I have all the expansions. (I'm rationalizing it as being a fifth columnist crypto-Orthodox Serbian trying to restore glorious Orthodoxy. I'm best friends with the Ecumenical Patriarch.)

I found a bug too. When I revolted, my ambition was to become Strategos for the emperor and didn't invalidate the ambition when I became the emperor of Byzantine Revolt. So while I was revolting I would get popups every few months with an event that asked if I wanted to become closer friends with my liege, me, to help my chances of being appointed Strategos of my realm.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I'm a duke in Byzantium. Thanks to some deaths my heir is married to the ruling countess of a nearby county in Hungary in a normal marriage, so assuming all stays constant my grandson would be the ruling count. So when that guy dies and my grandson, Count of Whatever inherits, will the duchy stay in Byzantium (logic: the Count of Whatever is inheriting a higher level title, Duke of Slavonia) or flip to Hungary (logic: the Count of Whatever can't be the vassal of two different lieges)?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

James The 1st posted:

What traits make good tutors?

Positive traits. Stay away from Proud, Craven, Cruel, etc. The education outcome is determined when you assign the tutor so if you want to cheat you can give your babby to someone with good traits and a bad education then before they turn 16 give them to someone with a 4-pip education. I think a 4-pip tutor has a 50% chance of giving a 4-pip education and a 30% chance of giving a 3-pip education.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

ninjahedgehog posted:

I've definitely gotten a Naive Appeaser from Midas-Touched tutor before, but that might be HIP acting funny. This is pretty aggravating because as far as I know there's no way to change your education trait from the console.

From a 4-pip tutor it's about 5/7/30/50% with an 8% chance to be completely random. I know there are events that boost your martial education, I've had 3-pip emperors get an event upgrading them to 4 pips saying experience has improved their martial education after a victory.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Well, the Caliph died and the new leader of the Muslihiddin Caliphate has been bouncing between calling himself Aquitaine and Francia every few days for a few months. :psyboom: Hopefully it breaks up soon before it steamrolls Europe.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 12, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

Is he not a Muslim/Arab or something? That should be impossible right? :psyduck:

Of all of the ten children of Caliph Nasr the Great of the Muslihiddin Caliphate, who inherits the title of Caliph but a Frankish Shia sayyid legitimized bastard son of a Frankish concubine who proceeded to form the Empire of Francia without holding the Kingdom of France title?

Yeah, that's still the Pope's.

All hail Caliph Archambaud of the Muslihiddin Frankish Empire.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 12, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

It's going to be glorious if it ever kicks off. Most of France is still Catholic and there's plenty of Karlings kicking around.

My heir will inherit a claim to the one-province Kingdom of Italy somewhere in the Pyrenees so when the Caliphate implodes due to decadent idiots I will be ready.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

ninjahedgehog posted:

So Paradox were planning on announcing the new DLC at Gamescom, right? ANy ideas what it might be? for twenty bucks, it's the most expensive one yet.

My money is on a random map generator like in EU4.

They said they won't do China in CK2 but at 20 bucks what else could it be? The fall of Rome?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

When is the announcement?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Turns out my grandson won't inherit the Hungarian county anyway. My duchy is being inherited by the eldest son of the first marriage while Trencin is being inherited by the eldest son of the second marriage to the Countess since he is her successor.

Joke's on her, my heir's an awesome general while the heir to Trencin is an idiot.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I haven't even tried. Isn't there an artificial diplomacy range limit or something? It makes no historical sense for a French count to marry his daughter off to the raj of Sinhal or whatever but when has this game ever concerned itself with accuracy?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Another thing is if you go too much earlier you start running into Arab paganism instead of Islam and you probably don't want to make a game where you can kill Mohammed in the early 600s.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Landsknecht posted:

I've always assumed that if paradox really wanted to please their forums they'd make some balkan themed DLC where you can be (whatever balkan group you belong to) and then go and create your dream balkan empire/conquer europe.

And each ethnicity would get many different bonuses like in EU3.

Russian Winters! +10 infamy limit!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Ofaloaf posted:

"Like in EU3"? I thought only MEIOU gave ethnic groups individual bonuses.

Prussia (Prussian Military Reforms) and Austria (Habsburg Dominance, Fugger Banks, Establish Hofkriegsrat) getting super OP innate bonuses from decisions was a staple of EU3.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 14, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

It's railroaded and narrative-based.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Leb posted:

Is there really not even a "MAJOR patchnotes" blurb or something? I can't find any details beyond the tiny bit they covered in the stream.

Yeah, they said "and lots of neat stuff for free to everyone like always" but didn't elaborate at all.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

DStecks posted:

Considering the cultures screenshot we've seen, there must be some heavy-duty event coding going on for this DLC if they want 769 to ever look anything like 1066.

There's always been alpha_story.txt in the CK2 common folder that refers to protected characters, popup boxes, and disallowing specific events for the player.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Byzantium is an exception to everything else so I'm sure there will be an exception for e_byzantium.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

SkySteak posted:

For all my planning in my Venice campaign I never accounted for the Byzantines becoming a doom blob by the 880s. Is there anything I can do with them? I swore fealty but I eventually want Cyprus and Crete. Should I just wait for them to shatter into civil war?

Stab every Greek you can find. Byzantium likes to get bogged down in offensive holy wars against the caliphate next door so it's pretty easy to win civil wars if you've got some troops to work with while the emperor's doomstack is fighting the Caliph's doomstack.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Nah, that's played out. The plains Indians should be like the Byzantines with higher technology, different titles for everything than the eastern countries, and tier 6 walls somewhere.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Ofaloaf posted:

We used the Project Balance version of Holy Wars, which limits you to wars with your direct neighbors and only if you aren't craven or cynical or a couple of other traits, I forget. Early tests with vanilla holy wars led to poo poo like the AI Duke of South Jersey ignoring Delaware and Philadelphia in favor of conquering northern Maine, which was awfully dumb behavior.

Honestly, I'd rather have this than have Indians as tribal peoples set to be steamrolled again.

After the Event, reservations in the Midwest said "gently caress you, not again" and formed alliances with each other for mutual benefit (relation bonus with other Indian cultures) that eventually morphed into the (feudal elective) Plains Empire, stated goal being "stay the gently caress on your side of the Mississippi, whitey." The unity led to faster rediscovery of some technologies than in the divided east (better building and cavalry tech? Extremely expensive horse archer retinues?) and no white men dare to cross the river.

It writes itself!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Hollywood religion should be able to select from different stars as deities like Hindu do in EU4: Willis gives you martial bonuses, Neeson gives diplomatic bonuses, etc.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Hollywood religion would also have steep natural prestige reduction over time. Gotta keep your face in the news, baby. And make Vancouver a holy site.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

If the Sanders dynasty doesn't rule Kentucky :argh:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I installed Lux Invicta. Declared war on my neighbor, my other neighbor declares war on me and the game crashes as the day ticks over. Reloaded game, two duchies declare war on me and the game crashes a few days later. Is it normally unstable?

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 26, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Ugh, why are there 50 different holding buildings with up to 27 levels in Lux Invicta? And it still crashes when someone's at war with me, I have no idea.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

I agree with that.

At the same time, I do hope they tone down adventurers a bit, cause assassination was often the only way to stop then before they fall on you with a ridiculous large army.

Isn't that a bug they never fixed that they show up with 50,000 people and are actually supposed to be scaled to your maximum army size?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I'm playing as Charlemagne. I declared war on Bavaria on day 1 to put a Karling on the throne and called Carloman into the war. On day 2 I got a railroad popup saying we're bitter rivals with -100 relations. Carloman accepted my call a few days later and is kicking Bavaria's rear end with me.

• Locked thread