Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I know we're all talking about third edition, but I'm wondering if someone could tell me how 1st edition is. I've never played Exalted before, but I've heard alot about it. Someone is selling alot of their rpg books in the SA Mart, I noticed the Exalted Player's Guide was available -- which I assume is all you need to play the game if you're ok with just being a Solar -- and thought "hey, probably cheaper there than else, why not try it?" I've also heard the mechanics for 2nd edition were very wonky so I'm just wondering if 1st edition was better somehow. You know, if anyone doesn't mind filling me in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I suppose the phrase "speak of the devil and he shall appear" is appropriate here because, only three days after thinking about getting into Exalted, my friend, who was unaware of my interest, decides to run a game of it. He's going to be running a 2e game. The powerlevel is still being decided upon because the players are interested in different types. The ideas thrown around, however, were Solar, Abyssal, and Alchemical.

I'm just wondering if anyone could give me a little heads up on the game before I play it. I only know a little bit about the mechanics and a smidgen about the setting. Any pit falls to avoid or the such? Common mistakes?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Krysmphoenix posted:

For your character, do not hold back on a concept, and reach for the stars. You are a true badass from character creation.

For your first character, either go Solar for a mixed party, or go with what everyone else is. Abyssals are very similar to Solars just undead and have to deal with their undead masters (I'm going to quote my Abyssal GM with the line "Your bosses are crazy, their bosses are crazier!"). Alchemicals are extremely weird.

Generally it's best if you stay away from Sorcery and that kind of stuff for your first time. Not that there's anything wrong with being a wizard in Exalted, just that they are (for once) a little underpowered and kind of take you away from the parts that make Exalted, well, Exalted. If you take Occult you can dabble into it later, but for now your Charms are going to be the bread and butter of everything you do.

Pick, Melee, Archery, or Throw. One of those three Abilities is a good foundation for your fighting style for when you inevitably get in combat. You can use it as much or as little as you want but you will at least want some so you aren't useless in a fight.

Also give this tutorial a play: http://jyenicolson.net/exalted/

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Everything Krysm says is right. Be Warned: Exalted has errata that basically constitutes Edition #2.5. I would argue that this errata is kind of necessary in order to make Exalted 2e actually fun in practice. Fortunately, this errata is available freely in many places online, including Drivethru RPG.

In addition to that, I'll give some of the ups and downs of the various Exalt types:

Solars: Everything works out of the core book, so you don't need to look at anything besides that and the errata. Your characters do not need to have much knowledge of the setting. You are the default protagonists and can be extremely good at anything.

Abyssals: You will need to cross-reference the Abyssals book, the Core book (some of their charms reference an identical charm in the core book), and the errata. There are some mechanics that pressure you towards being a murderer with no friends, and mechanics that make you suck outside of the Underworld. The worst of the sucking outside of the Underworld was errataed, but not all of it. Some charms require you to have the voices of dead primordials in your head, and some people houserule this.

Alchemicals: Mechanics are odd and a bit complicated, but you can play them basically just using the Alchemicals book and they've needed almost no errata. You only need to reference the core book for core game mechanics and not to build your character. Typically are off in their own techno-world. Have a very different aesthetic from other splats. A few very creepy charms that may need discussion.

I can talk about other types if you want, but I think Solars or Dragonblooded are the best types to play with to begin the game. Dragonblooded are less powerful than Solars in a way that means there will typically be less of a power differential between the Kombat Karls and Well-Rounded Roosevelts at the start of the game. I learned on Dragonblooded, so I am biased in that way. A Solar is probably the best, though, if you are playing in a mixed group, because it is very easy for a Dragonblooded to end up the weakest of the group.

In addition to the combat abilities Krysm listed, I won't totally dissuade you from using Martial Arts as your combat ability, but will suggest that (if a Solar) you stick to the Solar Hero style from the core book, or, if a Dragonblooded, your associated Dragon Style. Other options can be fiddly and can easily leave you underpowered in fights despite spending a ton of XP on fighting stuff charms, and also will require you to cross reference even more books.

First off, I'd like to thank you both for your advice. That tutorial will likely be very helpful and its surprising to hear magic is underpowered.

For balance reasons, my friend plans on running everyone as the same exalt type. It's more that, since we haven't finished recruiting, we don't have a agreement. So I will be going with whatever the group picks. I was the one in favor of Solars because, to me, they seemed like the "good guys" when I scrolled through the book. My friend chuckled a bit when I said that, but didn't explain why. Do you guys know?

I am aware that the mechanics for this game are pretty wonky (it's the reason for why I was more interested in 1e which I heard was better), but is it really unfun without the errata? As in, is it a slog? I'm sure my friend will use the errata, but I am curious now that you brought that up.

You mentioned "creepy charms." Could you elaborate? Since all the players know next to nothing about the game, the player whose interested in alchemicals might want to know that exists.

I wouldn't want you to go through all the exalt types, as that might be a bit of work, but, if you could explain lunars, that would be swell.

Also, how is throw a useful combat ability? Is it just throwing things? Seems a bit narrow.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Aren't Liminals sort of like the PCs from Prometheus? Frankenstein things trying to find a purpose (I guess sans the part where everyone hates them).

Covok
May 27, 2013

If someone is more interested in the setting than the mechanics and is just looking for a decent overview of everything because they like the snippets they heard, but don't have details, where should this person be looking?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

There's no single setting book like the Guide to Glorantha, but I could recommend good books for particular parts of the setting. Is there anything in particular you're interested in?

That is disappointing as I would love a "Guide to Creation" book. My interest in the setting would be as follows: Exaltations -- especially the Siderals, Dragonblood, Lunars, and Alchemicals--, the goverments of the world, the underworld -- my friend said he really loved Jenna Moran did with this --, the primodals, the gods, and general culture. I hope this isn't too long a list and thank you for being so helpful.

Attorney at Funk posted:

They should be looking for a lawyer. Piracy is a crime, friendo.

e: for older books, I quite like Games of Divinity and Scavenger Sons.

I mean I never said I was going to steal anything. I was just looking for books that were, well to tie it back, like a "Guide to Creation."

Thanks for the recommendations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Attorney at Funk posted:

Games of Divinity covers some aspects of setting metaphysics fairly well, and the chapter on demons and hell is one of the all-time great pieces of RPG writing.

Since this might change per edition, you are referring to this one, right? If it doesn't change by edition, my mistake. I'm just used to rpgs reprinting their books every edition or so.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Thanks for the recommendations. I am not the fan of any of the editions, but I want to learn more about the setting so these will help. I noticed a bias towards first edition, any reason for that?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Mexcillent posted:

Sidereals 1e drove the game into the ground imo.

Fictionally or mechanically? The pdf for it on DTRPG is way too expensive and lovely quality. Clearly, a relic of how pdfs for older games used to be handled on the site. So, of all things on the list, I'm the most so-so on the idea of getting it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Since you guy may have some insight on the subject, my friend suggested this system, Radiant, as a good alternative to the real one for playing in the setting. I think it looks pretty rad. Does anyone have any experience with it? Good or Bad?

Covok
May 27, 2013

So, did they confirm they are staying with the last version leaked or are there any announced revisions as a result of criticism?

Covok
May 27, 2013

So, nothing has been said in the leak discussion thread on rpg.net?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

What is this?

It's what you probably already paid for.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Bedlamdan posted:

I thought people liked marathon?

It was definitely popular with those who Macintosh operating systems as it was one of the few FPS on the OS. No idea how the Windows crowd felt.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Zereth posted:

Was it available on Windows at all?

It's sequels were and the original was much, much later on (like 2011).

Covok
May 27, 2013

How was Burn Legend? I remember my friend played in a game of it and tried to run a game in the Battlestar Galatica rip-off setting.

Covok
May 27, 2013

A modern setting might have been more interesting if it was billed as "Exalted kills The World Of Darkness." It would just be Exalted characters systemically murdering all the super 90s NPCs in the World of Darkness one by one the moving on to the new World of Darkness.

Covok
May 27, 2013

One thing that concerns me is the long, long, long list of charms. To those who've played it, was such a list really necessary?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Bedlamdan posted:

Because right now their adaptations are "useful to humans"

I've seen plenty of dogs around, but I ain't seen no dinosaurs. I think the dogs got the right idea.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Dinosaurs never left us, they just adapted. In the same way as dogs, really.

True, true, but, you have to ask yourself, who got the better deal? Dogs or chickens?

Also, is there any chance the inevitable Lunar 3E will have a good, core concept behind what a Lunar should be? According to my friend, they lack one. I'm not well-versed in Exalted lore so take my statement as you will.

Covok
May 27, 2013

All these issues about page referencing is just a long, obvious stalling tactic, right?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

There's literally no way it isn't. Like, this is a 'problem' that even one dude in his garage printing books wouldn't have.

It just confuses me why they obfuscate this stuff so much. It's like they're actively terrified of being honest with their customers. It's just so odd considering how the rest of Onyx Press operates.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Has a release schedule ever been released? The lack of some Exalted types in the Exalted chapter makes me wonder if they are making supplements for things like alchemicals.

Also, I'm really just interested in Exigents.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I can't find where they describe the skills of the system or the skills.

Covok
May 27, 2013

So, what's gooncenus on the backer pdf?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Bedlamdan posted:

Someone adapted Alchemicals to the 3E system, I'll see if I can't find it :mrgw:

Here it is.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Bedlamdan posted:

That's the one!

I won't reveal my source, but it's a horrible, old imageboard that is great for finding Exalted crap for no real, good reason.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Bedlamdan posted:

/tg/ is one of the better places for Exalted/WoD discussion, tbh.

Considering their general taste in games as I've observed it, it makes sense that this would be something with a big following there.

Covok
May 27, 2013

To people who know more about the E3 system, is that homebrew any good?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Libluini posted:

Hey, even if it isn't, I found two of the Alchemical books recommended in that homebrew on Scribd and now have something to read, at least. Thanks for that link!

No problem, mate. Like we were saying, /tg/ does, strangely, have good resources for Exalted in the OP of their endlessly reincarnating thread. I don't like the site, but popping into that thread (whatever incarnation it is in) can usually yield an interesting resource, if you keep to the OP.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Dr. Tough posted:

What is this "natural language" thing people are complaining about?

Natural Language, IIRC, is when you try to write rules in the way that you talk, but fail at making the rules clear thus muddling the whole thing. Correct me if I am worng.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Doesn't mean you can legally say your product is compatible, I believe.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Bedlamdan posted:

Someday, we will have an Exalted/WoD crossover :3:

Wasn't that in Shards of the Exalted Dream or whatever that was called?

Covok
May 27, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

Well, seeing as Paradox makes tons of DLC for their games and Exalted apparently plans to release tons of supplements (seriously, they have like 5 new types of Exalted planned in addition to the old ones), it's a perfect match.

They might have five new exalted planned, but Limials are just Promethean 3e in disguise.

Covok
May 27, 2013

quote:

Pip
noun
  • A small shape or symbol, in particular.
  • Any of the spots on playing cards, dice, or dominoes.
  • A single blossom of a clustered head of flowers.
  • A diamond-shaped segment of the surface of a pineapple.
  • An image of an object on a radar screen.
    BRITISH
  • a star (1–3 according to rank) on the shoulder of an army officer's uniform.

I think the bolded line is the one being used here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Roadie posted:

Thinking about it, I suspect there's a substantial benefit possible in actual readability from ditching the two-column, text-dense layout that so many RPGs seem to have just because they're copying previous books that are copying previous books that are copying all the way back to AD&D or whatever.

I mean, sure, it means more page count, but that's what aggressively minimizing and deduplicating mechanics text is for.

At the moment, this is basically because I can't decide if I want to make this into just an Exalted fanbook, or go whole-hog and make something nominally independent that just happens to be remarkably equivalent in terms of mechanics.

As already mentioned in this thread, text is copyrighted, but mechanics can't be. Specific distinctive words not already used in a generic way in the industry (e.g. "Strength") probably fall into the former, not the latter, which makes reuse of terms like "withering" a sticky wicket.

"Success" in particular is more about tightening up the language, though, so that "if you succeed on this roll" and "add a success to this roll" mean distinct things. Fixing that problem is always going to take changing one or the other use of the word.

I think you might be liable for some level of moral hazard if you just re-sell it. While it is true mechanics can't be copyrighted so you can take all of the mechanics and make your own game, there is likely some legal issues. The fact that game isn't even officially out yet and has only been released in preview material to those who prepurchased that right may also apply some pressure on you. Perhaps more so if you are a backer as Kickstarter may have some legal text on backers not abusing their insider knowledge, though I some how doubt this contingency,

• Locked thread