Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

I continue to stand by my assertion that this is a better way to go for Onyx Path (as measured by sales and critical acclaim and growth of the hobby as a whole):

Write the main text of your books as PG-13 (or actually R, because I'd classify a lot of the old WW stuff people object to as NC-17 even setting aside the whole issue of Americans being cool with violence and down on sex). Then have a sidebar or two talking about ways your gaming group can take it to a more mature level if everyone in the group is really, truly* fine with that.

*No, seriously, we mean it that "really, truly" means every member of the group has had a chance to object without being pressured into something that you the GM or their significant other or their ride wants them to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

There are certainly people who are negative about Exalted on SA. A few of them may have popped in early on in the Exalted 3E saga to say snarky things. For the most part, they've gotten bored and left now.

The people still talking in the thread are the most positive people on SA about Exalted. They're the people who got hooked on the great ideas in the setting and have been enjoying the game and supporting the Ink Monkeys stuff and house ruling like crazy to work around the flaws in 1E/2E and want nothing more than an amazingly awesome third edition.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Milton said this a while ago in regards to Abyssals, but I think it is very relevant again in the context of NPCs. More commentary after the quote.

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

One of the cool things about Exalted is that you can pick up almost any splat, serve nearly any faction, and play someone who has good moral character and believes they are fighting the good fight. Infernals can believe they're righting a cosmic injustice and actually channel their urge into remaking the world into what they see as a better place. Dynasts/Lookshy can believe they're the only thing standing against the destruction of what remains of civilization, especially if they're Wyld Hunt/Immaculate Monks, and they're right plenty of the time. Lunars can believe they are pretty much the only thing willing to stand against the Chaos at the edge of the world, or the only beings who have been capable and willing to make a real stand against Magical Soviet Rome for millenia, and they're generally right. Solars can believe the world is hosed up and they have the power to change it, and they're right. Bronze Faction Sidereals can say that if you had seen the alternatives to what they did, you would approve of their choices, and they are probably right.

Every group in history sees themselves as the good guys, as the ones standing for what is right. Exalted makes this plausible with almost every faction, but Loyalist Abyssals (and Infernals, if you use all their fluff and listen to everything the book suggests re:urges) are pretty well screwed over in this regard. I do think Abyssals suffer from being a relatively late addition, but I also think they suffer more from not having enough thought given to how they can be protagonists in epic stories where they are the anti-heroes instead of spoooooooky ghooooost antagonistssss.

Just like every faction is more interesting if there is some reasonable interpretation where they are the good guys, I think the setting is better off when most of the NPCs of note have an angle from which they can be viewed where they look like the hero of the story. Is it ok to have a very small number of exceptions where the individual has either gone insane or deliberately embraced evil? Yes. Using exceptions to prove the rule is a time-honored tradition because it often works. Is it ok to have a number of instances where the only viewpoint from which a character is plausibly a hero is their own deluded perspective? Yes, of course, that's the place where almost all of the real world's villains can be found.

Overall, though, I hope that for most of the major NPCs I can look at them and imagine a scenario where the PCs could either become that NPC's ally or enemy without feeling like they were being forced to abandon their own moral compass to do so. The PCs shouldn't be able to become the ally of ALL the major NPCs, of course; the existing web of friendships and alliances and hatreds between the NPCs should prevent that.

Bouquet fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 18, 2014

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

MonsieurChoc posted:

What!? Supernal skill is Caste only? gently caress, this means I cant have my Night Caste pirate take Sail as Supernal.
Only diplomats can be supreme pirates, obviously.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Roadie, you missed Motive-Discerning Technique's linkage to Intent-Tracing Stare.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Roadie posted:

Here's a general question: would people prefer these charts to go from top to bottom, or from left to right?

I think the left to right looks better. (But not enough better that you should feel any obligation to redo stuff you've already done! Top to bottom is still great to have.)

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

I'm looking at Hide-Hardening Practice and similar Survival charms that say, "The Solar may enhance a single familiar with this Charm (Essence) times." Is it clarified anywhere whether each time the familiar is enhanced it is a new Charm purchase or do you buy the Charm once and your familiar just gets tougher when your Essence goes up?

p.s. Hey wouldn't it have been great if the devs could have gotten a lot of feedback like this on what is unclear earlier in the process??

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Here is an auto-calculating Google Sheets Exalted 3e Character Sheet. To use it just make a copy for yourself and start filling things in. Type on lines, select from drop downs where there is a little arrow.

It is smart enough to use the trick of making the 7 dots in an 8/7/6 Attribute distribution into your Tertiary to save a Bonus Point. It will highlight Caste abilities when you select your Caste unless you turn that option off. You do have to tell it how many BP you spent on Spells/Evocations yourself. I started making it calculate how much XP and training time the things you are buying would cost but gave up partway through because I am tired of it for now. It's not too hard to figure out that you should spend BP on 5ing Attributes if you want to minimize future time/xp expenditure, though. If someone wants to do character creation using a pool of xp or a pool of training time you can finish that bit off yourself or come ask me later.

If anyone has other feature requests or finds any bugs let me know. Feel free to steal/modify/share elsewhere/etc. If you are super gung ho and want to edit the master, find me on #allunderheaven.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Mexcillent posted:

Which game is that which this happens in and isn't an enormous rear end ache monopolizing game time

Games where the GM and players communicate between sessions (which I have seen happen plenty of times for games where everyone is super excited and/or the time between sessions is longer than people want) or the game runs asynchronously (like the Play by Post games on these very forums).

If the GM and players have exactly four hours per week to get together and no time or interest for the game in between, then maybe crafting or secret negotiations or kingdom management are not good fits and you should stick to your action game paradigm. There are a lot of groups where that four hours per week scenario is not accurate and non-fighting, non-talking activities are of interest to some or all of the group.

Bouquet fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 14, 2015

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Getting away from discussion of a book that does not yet exist, here is your opportunity to play some Exalted using a rules system that has many fewer flaws than Exalted (regardless of edition). I'm running a PbP game here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3701026 using an extensive hack to the HERO System 6e. Even if you don't like PbP, I'd love for you to check out the work I've done, especially if you've ever played a HERO game and might be able to offer feedback.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Zereth posted:

Does All Creation Turns To Ash live up to its name?

You Blow Up the Whole Battlefield is a more accurate name.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Attorney at Funk posted:

Consider, though: if you hand out BP as levelups, then your players will never gain Essence at all... because it requires certain threshold amounts of experience points.

Or you could make up a chart for Essence to go up based on BP you've given out, which seems like a bit of houseruling well within the ability of anyone who decides that the XP/BP divide is dumb.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Ferrinus posted:

Incredible. Next caller.

How would you define antagonist then?

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Oh no, Roadie, you are an impossibly skilled cyber-wizard! Only scientists and engineers know LaTex; Exalted is a game for artists! We couldn't pollute the team of writers (who are artists!) with that nasty math and precision garbage.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

I like this one:

Roadie posted:

code:
Melee    Presence   Craft      Athletics    Bureaucracy
Ranged   Resolve    Lore       Awareness    Socialize
War      Survival   Medicine   Subterfuge   Travel

I've had a number of discussions about the difference between Occult and Lore in a world where knowledge of the world has to include an understanding of spirits, so I like the removal of Occult.

I prefer Travel over the other suggestions because I want it to include more stuff about helping the whole party get places safely and quickly. "Everyone Knows How To Ride a Horse Now Prana" or "Here's a Bunch of Phantom Horses for Everyone Technique" or "Learn How to Get From Point A to Point B Tiara".

I'd like to combine Bureaucracy and Socialize too. They're both about interacting with groups of people vs. Presence being about interacting with one person. Doesn't leave much for the poor Eclipse if you do that, though. Linguistics? Could probably just leave it at two, there's a long tradition of Eclipse getting screwed over when it comes to Abilities.

I like the 3x8 better than the 5x5 standard, too.

efb on some of this stuff, it appears.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Roadie posted:

Alternately, have Subterfuge be Larceny + spy stuff, and replace PLACEHOLDER with Stealth.

I think that would be good. Sneaking around is mechanically and plotwise important enough to be its own thing.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

theironjef posted:

Huh, that's never been my interpretation. I always viewed them as Bureaucracy and Socialize being social tools that work within the establishment, and Presence (with special guests Performance and Larceny) being social tools that work outside the establishment. Like, Bureaucracy is about being the best cog in the machine, and Presence is about being the best wrench in the cogs.

My interpretation of things is strongly influenced by Charms for things over the editions. Presence is almost always about looking cool or convincing one person they are awesome/should do what you say. Performance is about persuading groups Charm-wise. (There's even a note in the backer PDF about Performance Charms never being subject to the group penalty.) Bureaucracy charms are about improving/degrading a bureaucracy or merchant stuff. Socialize charms are about learning what's going on in a group, blending in with a group, or influencing a group.

(Basically, I've been trained to ignore both the flavor text about what the various social abilities do and any conception of things based on the real world because if there's no charms in an ability for the thing you want your character to be good at, it's not worth spending BP on. e.g. Want to be a Solar actor who inspires the oppressed to rise up against the Realm? Get hosed buddy, there's one Performance charm related to acting and it doesn't actually help you act! Luckily there are 5 sex/seduction charms between Performance and Presence, so the Solar courtesan who fucks the Realm to a standstill concept is A-OK.)

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Roadie posted:

Random mechanics jiggerypokery thought: What's a better term for getting a success on a die than "success"? It's kind of awkward having overlapping terminology for "success on a die" and "succeeding on a roll".

I see sux used a lot so why not enshrine it?

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

I like it better than the much more flowery and poorly organized 3e text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Roadie, you could stick caste marks in the inner corners of each page spread. I grabbed 24 from the unofficial wiki: http://www.bouquetofflowers.net/TG/Exalted/caste_marks.zip

Example:

That'd give you a six page rotating pattern. If you'd rather have SVG than PNG I could make simplified versions.

• Locked thread