Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
But on a serious note, xie is a loving rear end in a top hat for not getting out there and digging already

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

xie posted:

i really like the charleston solve, for the little to nothing that it's worth. it jives up very well with my personal belief on how some/most of these are solved, and i think the "on the eighth a scene where law defended..." solve is too good to ignore there.

commencement is this week goons, my life gets a lot clearer once we're past graduation. im done with grad classes for another month or so. im out of town all next weekend though.

fukken goons know Xie's schedule like we're shared on his GCal, drat...

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

I too am not being bitchy, but rather would think it fun if people just put shovel to dirt in weird places across the US. Instead, I'd suggest that the trolls are the folks who rile up this thread and then literally go on homoerotic forest trollop tromps.

But in all honesty, this thread is about UrbanSmurf; not much else matters, and that's fine and fun

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

sorry, just meant to be some no-pressure encouragement

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Of all the threads in the history of SA, this one contains the most posts I cannot discern between serious and ironic.

I sincerely wish someone here would find something.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Has anyone considered hacking the whole system by hiring moles equipped with GoPros? Or worms may be more economical??

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Is everything you just posted for real? Or like, a cool fantasy "what if" scenario, for a fun post?

Between everything Urban Smurf and your notional illuminati of dirt-digging, I've never been so confused by a thread in my life. Love it, thank you all.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Hypothetically, could we round up all the author's family and acquaintances and waterboard info out of them? Is that wrong or

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Can we start a GoFundMe for Urban Smurf, covering the cost of plane tickets to any location and one (1) shovel, please?

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
The real treasure is Urban Smurf's posts tbh

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
I'm sorry I have to ask this, but is it some kind of running in-joke that nobody is just going places with shovels and putting them in the ground? All this talk of permits and earth temperature and quality - is that just some meta-joke that developed in this thread?

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

RatHat posted:

The casks are buried near landmarks so digging them up legally does need a permit. The other stuff is a injoke yes.

But you just go there, with a shovel. At like 8pm, before it's dark. You dig a small hole, preserving the grass on top. You fill it back if you don't find poo poo. Nobody gives any fucks.

So you are saying folks are Actually Serious about fearing digging? Fuuuckk

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

TheChaosPath posted:

Solve status: still not a noun

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Cobalt60 posted:

But you just go there, with a shovel. At like 8pm, before it's dark. You dig a small hole, preserving the grass on top. You fill it back if you don't find poo poo. Nobody gives any fucks.

So you are saying folks are Actually Serious about fearing digging? Fuuuckk

I wrote this exact post, but emptyquoted it instead

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Premeditated Toast posted:

I don't think anyone takes this three year old thread seriously anymore, Cobalt60, it's just an excuse to read/enable a bunch of rambling Urban Smurf posts. :shrug:

I don't agree. I have a deep and genuine hope that a goon digs up a box of trash or whatever. I would sincerely be fulfilled by that victory. Also, I enjoy Urban Smurf's posts, and all the other folks's theory-crafting.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Urban Smurf posted:

I have a dig plan in the works for a different location, but it will require some tranquilizers and heavy fog around the time of Thanksgiving.

I will give you both, in that order.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Might be cool to apply each poem to each of our backyards, via ultra-specific gardening or cat or other references.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
then dig

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Urban Smurf posted:

It's cool if you're just a part-time fan. ;)

I'm a full time fan, fwiw

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Can someone meet Urban Smurf in person and post a trip report, please? Anonymous is fine.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
I want to clarify that my post was about a personal interest in what Urban Smurf is "all about." In a cool way

Other people posted uncool and potentially unchill thoughts. That's not me.

Urban Smurf please guide this thread to victory. Of some sort.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Serious request: can podcast guy please have Urban Smurf as a guest? Preferably a recurring segment but a single interview would be v. good.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

burnstyle posted:

I reached out to him and asked.

And with that post, the thread was great once again.

I know it's gauche to ask a magician to reveal his secrets, but I really would love to know, like, "what's the deal with Urban Smurf."

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
does the book attract the insane, or does it make folks insane?

If the latter, how can it be weaponized, other than this thread?

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

burnstyle posted:

That rock has been moved a couple of times from what I understand.

I'd have to look back in the archives to find out where it was in the early 80s.

use wayback machine on google maps and you're set

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
that's fun but it's less fun than an urban smurf deep-post imo

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
what looks like a black vase is actually a waveform of the wilhelm scream

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
when you turn the image upside-down, the thing in the bottom left now reads "up"

Thus, I guess it's in Darwin, Australia. Take it away boys

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Please allow him warm up

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Fayez Butts posted:

Hey guys just clicked on this thread. Can anyone summarize up till now?

Sort by Urban Smurf's posts. He basically does a summary of what everyone's thinking. It'll seem difficult to understand at first, but stick with it because it all comes together beautifully and is well worth the read.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Lurker saying "this is cool." good luck weirdos

I just wish this was progress on an old puzzle but cool anyway

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

FelchTragedy posted:

New Orleans

Without looking at the rest of the thread and skimming the New Orleans ones before:

I have a solve for New Orleans. I think it's pretty solid. Just realised that we send people like Burnstyle out.

What do I do?

break both your wrists ASAP you loving coward

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
i'm the casual but child poster

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
5 posts in thread

2 encoded

2 types of encoding

Thread continues to deliver

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
the pgp message was decoded in the other thread is says 'roswell isreal'

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Explosive Tampons posted:

so was the treasure found

I check this thread after years and there are people PGP encoding messages...

don't be a loving twat if he didn't encode you'd have dug the spot and taken all the goddam credit we know this about you

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Joke's on you i have no friends

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
yes what

I've been following this thread since the start, deeply hoping things get found and also sometimes shitposting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
I forget what the answer is but at this point why aren't people just meta-gaming the whole thing? Doesn't the deceased author have friends or family who know poo poo? Can't one of these absolute loons kidnap them or something? Seems less wacky than any single Urban Smurf post to me.