Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

pointsofdata posted:

Has anyone with a T430s tried cleaning dust out of their fan? I can't work out how to get to it properly which is annoying since everything else is easy to access.

Other than that would strongly recommend the T4**s line to anyone. Would be almost perfect if the bezel was a bit smaller.

Do you have an extremely frustrating whine from the 5V regulator on yours? I'm on my second T420 and it's really pissing me off at this point.

Also great thread title Hadlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Delta-Wye posted:

I hate coming in here over and over again bugging you guys with stupid questions, but I'm going to drop some serious cash on a device I'm going to be stuck with for years, most likely.

I'm pretty much torn between a nice Thinkpad (530, X230/X1 probably), a Dell XPS 12, and the Sony Vaio Pro 13. I wasn't really even looking at the XPS12 until today, but I can get a pretty well setup one for ~1k and that seems fairly competitive. I just hate buying something right before the new tech drops, but that is probably why I can snag a ~$1600 msrp laptop for that little. Is there any reason the 12 is recommended over the 13 or other models? I like the portability but if I'm doing coding and stuff additional screen real estate is invaluable.

FYI, I'm pretty deadset against the Vaio because I hate all the stupid poo poo Sony has pulled over the years (a good portion being the crap they preload on the laptops) and don't really want to give them my business as a result. I'm happy to see they have an option when buying the laptop to get that poo poo removed now, but it shouldn't be an optional feature for gently caress's sake!

Yeah, wait for Haswell. My new job's offering either a rMBP or a T430s and I think the T430s is the better choice for engineering work though the rMBP certainly is sexy. I'd say the X240 or T440 would be the way to go when they finally launch.

T430s is just a slimmer / 3 less battery cell flavour of the T430 right? Still a lovely TN screen?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

dissss posted:

Yeah. I've actually found the battery life on my T430s to be fairly bad - its like 4 hours of light usage with the 6 cell.

Aside from that and the display its a good little system but it seems a little unfair to offer it alongside a rMBP given its somewhere under half the purchase price of a base 13" rMBP

I'd love the rMBP but as an EE who only has to dip into software rarely, the rMBP would spend most of its life in Windows, and I would really prefer a native windows keyboard (and the BIOS ability to swap Fn/Ctrl on ThinkPads). :(

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Delta-Wye posted:

RAM appears to be soldered in current-gen XPS 12s. If they were TQFP I would be tempted to solder additional chips onto the mainboard, but if I'm looking at the right chips in crappy photos I found, they're BGA packaged. Fuckers.

It's all BGA, at the speeds we run DDR3 for PC-stuff the lead inductance from packaging in TQFP is just too much. BGAs it is :science:

:fap: Too bad new job will probably start me out with a T430s :(

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Weinertron posted:

Hopefully there's a T440 available with the conventional trackpoint buttons and no touchscreen. Maybe if we're extremely lucky we can get the IPS 1080 screen on it. I'm willing to put up with the extra pound in weight for normal Thinkpad stuff like removable battery, raised metal hinges, etc.

Hopefully they don't decide to make the traditional Thinkpad features available only in the W-series as a cost-saving measure :ohdear:

They haven't really marketed T-series direct to consumers though I guess introducing the s models was a cheap-ish way to make it appealing in that market as well.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

That's the one I'm looking at. I'm a bit leery of going TN instead of IPS based on the advice in the OP, though.

TN has such a wide range in terms of viewing/image quality. The screen on my T420 is utter trash and ruins what is otherwise a really good laptop. In contrast, my 2010 MacBook Pro I paid far too much for also has a 15" matte TN screen, but it's actually pretty drat good, and the viewing angles are not awful (though still not as good as IPS).

I mean it comes down to the fact that you are staring at that screen every time you use the laptop, so why skimp on it?

movax fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 22, 2013

movax
Aug 30, 2008

:downs:

Didn't even think about that as I posted it, hah. Fixed now.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

TenementFunster posted:

Did you know that the Razer Blade 14" fails to POST when a USB stick is placed in any of the ports?

Did you ALSO know that the support line for this rather expensive laptop is closed on the weekends?

It's true!

Stuck in BDS :allears:

That's a $2k+ laptop right?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

T430s trip report: Got issued one from work and the keyboard layout is different enough from the T420 / older Thinkpads to wreck my muscle memory :( The Ivy Bridge is nice and the chiclet keys aren't quite as bad as I thought, but the layout, arrrgh.

I only wish the T440 was out around now so I could have gotten that :( Oh well, now I just need to requisition the bay battery.

Noah posted:

Is the screen on the 430s really that terrible? Also I've been using a Dell Vostro 1400 for the last 7 years, so anything is gonna be an upgrade to its unpleasantness.

Yes it's a piece of poo poo, the screen quality ruins an otherwise excellent generation of Thinkpads.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Thanks Marty!

I added a question about upgrading the wifi - any thoughts on that?

Buy the best WiFi you can from the OEM, especially because your chassis may have to have specific antennas installed to support it, which is really hard to add aftermarket.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

So I'm trying to get my grubby paws on the T460s SKU with the 930M dGPU, because I think that would be handy to have. I have a T430s right now, and am due for an upgrade at work -- was going to switch to a MBP, but Apple hosed me, so that's not happening (we'll never buy the Touch ID SKU, and I need an ESC key).

Thoughts on 930M 2GB vs. the Intel HD 520? I don't need gaming performance, but the acceleration is nice for some of my engineering tooling. The only other thing that SKU gets me is being able to max at 24GB of RAM vs. 20GB, which is nice.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Butt Savage posted:

At which model T or X series did Lenovo begin to ship them with decent screens by default? My refurb T430 has been great but the screen has been murder on my eyes. Thankfully it's not my main machine but I use it enough that it becomes a problem after a while.

I want to say the Tx40 generation was when decent screens came back, at least for the T4xx series.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

XPS 13 coupon code is back until the 23rd, 20% off. Back to free-lancing, so needed a laptop (deductible expense), kind of tired of using ThinkPads over the past 5-6 years, and my most recent corporate T460s was a piece of poo poo.

Got a XPS 13 9360 w/ 16GB RAM, 1800p screen, Win 10 pro for $1200 shipped (10% WA tax). Didn't want touchscreen, but not a lot of 16GB SKUs available. Have a 512GB Samsung NVMe drive here that I'll be popping into it. Engineering, so I don't want to have carry around USB-C to USB-A dongles, and would rather have the native A ports.

Craigslist a decent place to offload Thinkpad AC adapters? I probably have 8 at this point, complete with tip adapters so they can be used with both round and rectangular plugs. Wouldn't mind just straight up trading a few of them for Dell adapters so I can leave them lying around where I need 'em.

e: oh I guess it goes without saying, that was on Dell Outlet refurb. Can save a bunch more if you stick with 8GB / non QHD screen but...I like leaving tabs open, and that QHD screen is pretty!

movax fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 22, 2018

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Any experience with the Dell Powerbank thingy: http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-hybrid-adapter-power-bank-ph45w17-ba-45w-ac-adapter-notebook-power-bank-43wh/apd/451-bcbd/pc-accessories

Seems like a decent option to carry around on the go in a backpack, emergency extra battery and all that. Can't tell what -AA, -BA, -CA differences are, just revision?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

XPS 13 is legit so far. Ordered a PM981 500GB to put in; forgot the 850 EVO I have is SATA, not NVMe. QHD screen is gorgeous.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I'm going to post this here because I've never seen it on my desktop machines, does anyone with a laptop with a low-TDP CPU SKU (i7-8550U here) and no dGPU see weird lag/micro-stutters in Windows 10, especially when alt+tabbing? This just screams of some kind of P-State/C-State thing going on. Happens on battery or while plugged in and it's super distracting to my workflow, because autistically enough, I have grown used to that poo poo (window switching / app switching) being instantaneous on my desktop (4.6GHz i7-2600K).

XPS 13 9560 here specifically, with the 8550U + 16GB RAM.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Internet Savant posted:

I have an XPS 13 9350, it does weird poo poo similar to yours. Mine happens when I plus things into one of the USB ports. Weird Audio/video stuttering occurs. Most times, video no longer plays correctly afterwards. As in, it gets pulled up, I see the image but it doesn't play or it plays in super slow motion (like 1 frame/5 sec).

Restarts largely fix the problem. You are the first person I have seen mention something even remotely similar to the problem I am having. Google searches are practically worthless on it.

Edit: CPU is a 6560 or whatever the number is (i7 with Iris plus/pro)

So I just finished discovering that the reason my XPS wouldn't sleep is this new "Connected Standby" feature which I question who the gently caress thought was a good idea, and that's why my battery would keep ending up dead.

Killing that in the registry then murdered my Killer 1535 every time it comes back out of sleep now, and I have disable and then re-enable the device...and PCI Express ASPM got turned off, which I have now turned back on...

And the solution to stop the Killer from immolating itself was to uncheck "Allow this Device to wake machine from sleep". But now, my VPN hangs every single time coming out of sleep and I have to restart it.

I had really forgotten how no one on this planet can fully get ACPI/power-management stuff correct out of the box. Alt+tab still stutters every now and then on a totally fresh Win10 install on essentially the latest hardware available.

gently caress computers.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Internet Savant posted:

Wait seriously, my weirdo issues with the laptop turning back on randomly is the wifi chip???? WTF. And putting a $20 chip solves it? Is the Dell wifi a non-intel card? Admittedly, I didnt pay that much attention to the with card when I bought the laptop. Agreed on performing a hardware swap on a $1700 computer.

poo poo- I'm just glad I'm not the only one having weird issues with the XPS line. I thought I was carzy for a little while, and then just accepted the "quirk" ( super annoying coming back to a dead laptop with no battery)

There's a simple registry tweak to maybe fix your sleep problem on the XPS, search for how to turn off connected standby.

Statutory Ape posted:

that wireless card is the one i replaced in my 9360

https://www.ebay.com/itm/391947786436

i put that one in. no problems so far! it bummed me to do change hardware in a ~$1700 pc but it works like a charm now

Thanks for the link! I'll hold out a little bit longer but if this bullshit continues, I will probably end up doing that swap as well. I assume it's a perfect drop-in in terms of number of antenna connections and everything?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

The Huawei argument cracks me up mostly because it gives US / Western companies a totally free pass. Still wouldn’t use their (Huawei) hardware, but lol at the thought of a public audit of the billions of transistors in your computer happening.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Dumb Bitlocker question: there is no PIN or anything like that setup on my machine (XPS 13). It's linked to the TPM inside my machine, right? So a loss or clearing of the TPM will render the drive inaccessible?

But, if the entire laptop is stolen, assuming it starts in a power-off state and not sleep mode or something like that, isn't the data still accessible, or is it protected behind my Windows login?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

What's a good system performance / profiling tool for Windows 10? Trying to get to the bottom of why my fresh install of Win10 on a quad-core i7 in this XPS 13 runs like dogshit. It can't just be Chrome causing this. My money is on lovely power management behavior from the CPU jumping states but would like to confirm it. CPU usage sitting at 5% but my mouse cursor is stuttering, Win+Tab is slow and poo poo and the thing acts like it has a spinning hard drive in it still.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Out of curiosity, outside the XPS 13 and Lenovo's offerings...is there a PC laptop that isn't a piece of poo poo plagued with ACPI / firmware issues? The XPS 13 9350 is the closest I've gotten but it still occasionally locks up completely under load (rarely, to the point where I have to unscrew the bottom and pull power entirely because the power button doesn't work) or some combination of EFI firmware / Win10 gets confused and caps my clock speed at 600MHz. Gorgeous screen though.

Tried T460 and T470 but after going through 3 of them that couldn't pass a memtest+ session, I think I'm done with Lenovo. Microsoft wants too much loving money to get a SKU with 16GB of RAM.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

The Bananana posted:

So I picked up an Asus vivobook today for less than $500

14" screen,
1.6 ghz 8th gen i5
8GB
128 SSD
Wireless-AC
USB A
USB C

Am I correct in assuming the integrated Intel® UHD Graphics 620 is not very good?

What are the thoughts?

The drivers for them are fairly lovely IMO. Seem to be improving slowly with each subsequent release though.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I admit that I have a hard time keeping up with this thread, so I admit I may have missed this rant already, it it occurred.

I finally finished setting up my new XPS 9300 for work — arrived a few weeks ago, just didn't have time to start setting it up. In that time, several others we had ordered all had varying reasons to get RMA'd, so my hopes weren't super high. I'm coming from the 9360, which I think was the 2018-vintage Kaby Lake XPS which has been more or less bulletproof for me once I figured out anemic USB-C chargers (including Dell's own hybrid power bank) were kneecapping it.

This is all leading up to the fact that this XPS was also the first time I touched Win10 2004 and what the everloving gently caress did they do by forcing Modern Standby down our throats? It's almost habitual for me to go flip 'CsEnabled' in the registry to '0' after every Windows update and that's now gone for the foreseeable future. I want my laptop to sleep when I push the power button, and never for any other reason, and by sleep, I want ACPI S3 "Suspend to RAM" sleep. Not "hey, you might take a baking / potentially damaged laptop out of your backpack when you thought it was sleeping before your flight!".

Have the other makers all started doing this as well? I can't tell if Microsoft pulled this out as part of the update, and woe be to devices with incorrect ACPI tables — some basic checking on other forums makes it seem like laughably enough, they can't even get this working smoothly on their own loving devices (Surface).

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Hadlock posted:

If you figure out how to get around this let me know. I mostly use my "Linux" Thinkpad but occasionally I'll bust out my "windows" XPS 15 which is one year newer than yours but has the same "feature"

My solution has been to just shut down the laptop when I'm not using it, and never buy another Dell again, which doesn't help your work laptop situation, but that's where I'm at

The sleep issue is loving maddening, no idea how many times it's drained down to zero on "functional sleep" and then just satv there fully discharged for weeks on end doing untold damage to the battery. gently caress you, Dell.

:fuckoff: Dell

Other than that soul destroying problem, they're pretty good laptops

It's loving mind-boggling to me dude. I need to double-check my 9360's supported states to see if that 'feature' has taken hold, or if it's blessedly too old for it. Shame because the 9300 is snappy and has a gorgeous screen (granted some of that is the brand-new Windows install, but man it is nice).

Best I've found so far was from Reddit where the solution is basically switching to a 3rd party boot manager to run an ACPI table patcher on every single boot and likely runs a non-zero chance of loving up Bitlocker / Windows boot, all to work around this loving braindead feature.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Fruits of the sea posted:

Huh. So is this why my laptop my laptop occasionally wakes in the middle of the night and spins up the fans?

If you go to Event Viewer, you can look at what your wakeup source was (should be a "Kernel — Power" event). At one point, I had a PowerShell script running on every boot on my XPS to go purge Task Scheduler of some dumb poo poo that would wake up the laptop. I truly cannot understand how even the smallest amount of user testing would not show how unacceptable it is to "sleep" your laptop and then find it significantly discharged a "short" time period later. It's probably cell phones and tablets trying to make poo poo like that the norm now.

You'd think with all of the buried tiny embedded controllers there would at least be a way to not run the CPU to do this.

Rinkles posted:

How would I check if my laptop is affected?

e:am i safe?

I think that's what you want to see, yeah.

e: since this is dependent on network connectivity, I wonder if there's some stupid hack to be done where upon triggering 'sleep', it airplane modes / disables your NIC so the device can't wake up to do anything.

movax fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Aug 3, 2020

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Tatsuta Age posted:

I got a new dell xps 13 9300 from work since they want to cut back on buying everybody MBPs now (cost savings duh). Apparently this piece of poo poo throttles the CPU to almost nothing at low battery (noticeable at 50%, impossible to deal with at 20%), and there's no way to turn it off? Is this a thing companies are doing now?

Mine doesn't do this — maybe some kind of power policy applied via GPO at work?

Most aggravating thing about it is no S3 sleep on Win10 2004. Hoping Microsoft walks that back at some point.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Spikes32 posted:

My boyfriend gets to buy a new laptop with academic research funds from the school book store. He does a lot of machine learning on social media data sets using r and python. Any recomendations between these? He's already a primary Macbook user but wants to take the best option not just another Mac necessarily.

2019 Silver MacBook Pro 16" 2.6GHz 6-core 9th gen Core i7, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD MVVL2LL/A

MacBook Pro 2020 13" w/ TouchBar: 2.0GHz quad-core 10th-gen Intel Core i5 Processor, 16GB DDR4, 1TB SSD - Space

2019 - Dell XPS 15 (7590) 15.6" Notebook 4K OLED (Non-touch), Core i7-9750H 6-core, 16GB RAM (exp. to 32GB), 512GB

.2020 Dell XPS 13 (9300) 13.4 1920x1200 Non-touch, Core i5-1035G1, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD

Smallest and lightest laptop to use for SSHing into a beefier box to do all the real ML heavy-lifting, IMO.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Anyone with a T420 / similar vintage ThinkPad done BIOS editing themselves to modify the whitelist for WLAN cards? I found an AX200 / mini-PCIe half-height guy that would be perfect to replace the 6205 in my otherwise pretty decent garage ThinkPad, but IIRC, these older ones have the BIOS refuse to enable the device if the VID/DID doesn't match.

Also toying with the idea of putting in a quad-core SNB into it (really wish it could do IVB...) but have heard mixed reports in terms of thermals and battery life. Anyone upgrade like that before? I'm assuming the CPUs are like $20-$30 on eBay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Artelier posted:

How well do the Lenovo X1 Carbon (and other business laptops) handle stuff like Photoshop, Lightroom and DaVinci Resolve? I presume those programs are heavy on graphics card but is it a complete "forget about it" or is it closer to "don't edit a 70 layer document" / "just don't cut, colour grade, multi layer and filter a feature film" and it's fine.

Don’t know about those graphical apps but the X1 Carbon G9 is easily the best laptop I’ve used now in the past four years, since my 2018 XPS 13. Latest XPS was a hot turd, the Lenovo OTOH has fixed a lot of the issues they had in the 2019-2020 timeframe or so. I have the 32 GB RAM SKU.

I mildly wish it had a touchscreen sometimes (for signing poo poo), but otherwise it’s awesome. Right selection of ports also.