Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amante
Jan 3, 2007

^^^
AR is actually the best DPS, especially combined with Shotgun.

Re: OP -- needs more Space Fixer. Rating: 9/10.

Amante fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

In theory, there's nothing wrong with putting a couple of suggested builds in the OP for new people who feel completely directionless. The most important part is making it clear that you can't really make any wrong choices with the skill wheel. Any weapon combo works for leveling, and the game outright throws free points at you by the time you're midway through Egypt.

The problem with Mayushit's OP was that he posited Blades/Chaos as the one true leveling build, as if it was the best (or even only) option. Hilariously, Blades/Chaos doesn't even touch the top three most efficient solo/leveling builds.

But that's part of the fun. You can do almost anything for leveling and have fun with it. Builds only start to become a real consideration when you're dipping into Nightmare missions/dungeons. One of the few things with the skill system Funcom actually did right.

Amante fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 4, 2013

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Ha, that's clever.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Okay, after testing my AR/Pistol leech healing build, it's... slower than my Pistols/Ele solo, but infinitely more stable. I'll only die if I get ganged up on by the guys int he Roman baths, everything else in the Carpathians so far poses no threat.
It is a smidge slower than a pure DPS soloing build, but infinitely more stable as you say. As your gear gets better and you tweak the build more, you'll find you can pump out more damage than expected.

Using Three Round Burst often is key; try and save Transfuse Anima for heavy amounts of incoming damage. Don't be afraid to use your cooldowns, either. Leeching gets the most damage from stacking as many percent damage boosting effects at once. With the right gear and passives, you can do ridiculous amounts of damage by popping some combination of Do or Die, Energise, and Deadly Aim.

orcane posted:

Actually that's not true, although I see every crafting guide out there perpetuating that statement so it probably was true at some point. You can't find them as drops or on randomly generated gear, but you can make hybrid offensive/defensive glyphs even though not all combinations are equally useful.
I think they stealth changed this at some point, as you didn't used to be able to. Are you able to do hybrid glyphs with the Nightwatch glyph kits? Because those're the only ones that really matter.

Edit:
I think you can. What's really a bummer is that you can't get 10.4+ hybrid statted talismans, though :(

Amante fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jun 4, 2013

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Here's a basic AR/Pistol leech build for soloing. Abilities in parentheses are optional stuff you can mess around with.

Actives: Anima Shot/Burst, Three Round Burst, Transfuse Anima, Do or Die, Energise, Deadly Aim, (Lock & Load), (Turn the Tables)
Passives: Anima Boost/Improved Bursts, Twist the Knife, Eagle Eye, Lethality, Elemental Force, Experience, (Accuracy), (Anticoagulant)

To transition the build to group use, you don't need to change much. Ditch Turn the Tables or Anticoagulant if you're using them, making sure to take Accuracy as your "flex" passive. This means you use it most of the time, but replace it with another passive when needed, such as Iron Maiden/Overpenetration (for Polaris/Slaughterhouse NM) or Fever Pitch (for Hell Raised/Fallen/Eternal NM).

Amante fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 4, 2013

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Speed-tanking Hell Fallen NM with Cold Blooded as your "taunt" is still hilarious.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

To be fair, you can kinda Blood main heal if you use a janky Blood/AR build. It involves using Bloodline and Finish the Movement to do constant Exquisite Corpses on the tank, backed up by weaving in Shot of Anima. To pull it off, you need solid gear and a good idea of what you're doing, so it's definitely not a beginning healer build. Stick to Fists/* if you're starting out.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Zebrasectomy posted:

So Skill Points aren't a problem? I heard that the later missions just vomit AP all over you, but I wasn't sure if it's the same deal for SP.
You get 1 SP for every 3 AP, as noted above. The important thing to remember is that the amounts of experience you need to get each AP are static and never change, but as you go further in the game you get more and more experience from missions. This amounts to the game practically throwing AP at you by the time you hit City of the Sun God.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Minus the not so awesome issue 6 changes that broke the game running on a bunch of people's systems.

Edit:
vvv
Free EvilBillMurray.

Amante fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 13, 2013

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Bees subsist through tacosynthesis.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Finally bit the bullet and upgraded to Windows 7. Praying that this buggy abortion of a still somehow fun game will run without crashing every 10-20 minutes now. There might just be life left in this ol' Space Fixer yet...

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Cheston posted:

...And the new DPS meta is to wear a Coney Island Band :v:
Why do you think I wanted it way back when? Not for healing, that's for sure. Coney Island Band = insane Transfuse crits!

Space Fixer: AHEAD OF THE METAGAME

Amante fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 2, 2014

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

KetTarma posted:

How true is this?
I'm still new enough to have no clue :(
Very. It becomes a lot more apparent at "max level" when you try to play the game with any degree of seriousness.

That said, the story still owns bones. TSW has what is probably the best MMO story out there (not that there's a lot of competition), and it's worth buying the box for the single player portion at the least.

In other news, I am dipping my toe into this silly game again. Currently leveling a Dragon char... who in that cabal still plays that I can hassle for an invite?

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

In ESO or TSW? If you mean TSW, there's more shops than you think. A lot of times, a "shop" is just a guy or two standing around somewhere random, without it being immediately obvious that they're vendors unless you get closer and see the use prompt. They are shown on the minimap, though.

Ideally you'd be able to sell/repair at any sentient quest-giver, but alas...

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Is there any sort of goon cabal left? Game isn't the same without nerds to shoot the poo poo with.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Len posted:

I'm at least patched and have a shitload of content I haven't done. I'd be game for running around with a space fixer again.
I'm gonna make a dragon alt and play that I think, so I'll have to be a space-something-else unfortunately. Always down for whatever with Platbeard-kun, though :3:

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Any word on whether those $20 packs are temporary or not? Would like to get, just not this second.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Geary is ok... but really, it's all about the Pyramidion.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Do leech builds suck in Tokyo or something? Heard mention the last few pages.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Hello Sailor posted:

You can't leech from damage done to AEGIS shields.
Well poo poo. There goes my favorite soloing build when I come back :(

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

I would be a lot more compelled to come back if there were a semi-active goon cabal or two. Playing with chill goons was a big part of what made me love the game so much in the first place (and I'm probably not the only one). Without a good crew, it just feels kinda... empty.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Cabals are still faction-specific, right? That makes getting people together a bit more annoying... could go back to using a chat channel or mumble I suppose.

For what it's worth, I'm probably rolling a brand new Dragon char sometime soon.

Amante fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 21, 2015

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

And cheers for that. I like leech builds but using the AR just feels kinda clunky at the moment.
safety off and anima burst involve a certain amount of clunky, impaired movement that takes getting used to. keep working on it though, because the upsides are huge when properly utilized.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Cthulhu Bucks or Conspiracy Coins

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Brain In A Jar posted:

This is what having a job and not being crippled does: It destroys lives.
Don't worry, being crippled and not having a job does too.

But seriously, I miss the goons and nightmare crew from TSW. Most fun I've had in any MMO since vanilla WoW by a mile! I'd love if we could get goon NMs and whatever else going again. I am planning to put time into a new Dragon char in the next month or two, so I'd be willing to help run a Dragon cabal if needed. How are the other two factions looking in terms of goon representation?

Amante fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jul 11, 2015

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Yeah we were trying to build complementing characters similar to what we do in other mmos. I am usually a healer so I got some tank and dps abilities while she went healing and dps. We didn't really read too much into the game before diving in because part of the fun is figuring stuff out. I didn't know it was possible to hinder your progress based on where you put SP.
If you want to level with one of you DPSing and the other supporting, try an Assault Rifle leech build. Defensive target the other person and you can do respectable damage while still keeping the other up. Bonus: guaranteed crit Transfuse Animas are hella satisfying!

This has been Lefin's contractually mandated once-a-year TSW post, thanks for reading!

Amante fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Dec 14, 2015

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

alfheimwanderer posted:

Out of curiosity, are there any more goon runs for dungeons these days? I kind of miss those old days...
Don't we all...

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

The much prophesied new computer is finally here. Still has garbage RAM, but it should be able to thrash TSW regardless.

I have been wanting to play again, and I shall! This time I shall be a flighty Dragon. No more memes for me...

...after that.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Was Danny Dufresne's voice acting always this bad? Ah well, guess they can't all be winners...

Edit:
:synpa:

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Is everything tradable now? Noticed people selling some rare stuff for Pax.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

I'm just hitting Blue Mountain on my Dragon and will be hungering for more content soon. Hope Complete goes on sale again in the foreseeable future! It's only through Funcom, right?

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

You'd think with all that venture capital that they could throw a scrap or two our way... dunno, the side games make me think they plan to keep TSW around for a while, even if it's as an ostensible shambling corpse.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Clearly, our finely tuned premade builds aren't up to the task of wrangling pubs.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

I need many fancy lores, and all I have so far is the Boogeyman at midnight one. Let's be fancy lore buddies!

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

As usual, us late adopters win out it seems! On that note, how much of Tokyo can I do without having the rest of the issues yet?

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Cautiously optimistic. If the game is ever to do better financially, something like this is their only real shot.

Around the relaunch also seems like a good time to try and reestablish a goon presence. Other than Plat and I, who's game?

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

My biggest hopes for the relaunch are cross-faction cabals (more needed than ever with the wider audience they're trying to bring in) and toning down the AEGIS system. Past retention additions like challenges and the museum have been fine, so I'm not worried there.

Edit:
vvv
Dust of the Black Pharaoh. I must have it.

Amante fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 1, 2017

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

flatluigi posted:

Any particularly recommended addons? I haven't poked at addons in ages.
Common useful mods:
meeehrUI-Topbar (all purpose topbar, interfaces with other mods)
EffectsUI (tracks important buffs and debuffs, customizable)
ResourceRelocator (smoother resource tracking)
FiveAlive (replaces laggy group/raid UI)
UltimateCrafter (adds more features to crafting UI)
AdvancedTradepost (adds more features to auction UI)

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

No real goon group or guild running at the moment, but will probably be something forming around relaunch time.

Edit:
vvv
They'd have to be retarded not to at this point. No pubbie wants to make three guilds and a discord just to play with a few friends.

Amante fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

TSW's ability wheel and classless characters are some of its greatest unique strengths, and removing them would be as big a mistake as what SOE did with Star Wars Galaxies and the NGE: completely changing what the people who actually play the game like about it, all to attract an audience that didn't care about your game before and probably still won't after.

Honestly, you should have enough skills for a good amount of build variety by the time you finish Egypt. As always, I think the game's biggest weakness is that it does a poor job of introducing players to the real mechanics of combat and how to make effective builds (or craft, or do pretty much anything). The game's underlying mechanics are fantastic, but poorly explained.

I wouldn't object to them reducing the cost of outer wheel skills to get newer players up to speed faster, though.

Amante fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 14, 2017

• Locked thread