Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

tuluk posted:

i'm the definition of "filthy casual" player in Secret World.
my 1st character is still bouncing around the starting island.
auxilliary weapons, tokyo, and nightmare dungeons are things i'll never encounter, if everything works out..

Same, I kinda hit a brick wall at blue mountain where I just kept dying. The equipment system is something I can't wrap my head around, no matter how much I want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Anyone have recommendations on builds to survive blue mountain? I was using a sword/AR build, but that's really not doing it anymore. I was thinking fist and something else.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I'm just hoping someone can grab the server code before it does go down. The writing and atmosphere are just too drat good to be lost to the ether.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Drinkfist posted:

He loving wrote it and then when poo poo started to slow down he realized he overwrote the game and now there is piles of this game's story that will never see the light of day. When the game was in beta the devs in the global chat were talking about how the man had already written 12 years worth of stuff for the lore of the game. We are never going to see the Lost World in the center of the earth or Atlantis which were the big ones we were told about. You probably remember me goading a GM into spawning that Filth Infested T Rex in London because I kept making fun of them for wasting such an awesome art asset that no remembered existed from the really early E3 tech demos and trailers.

So Ragnar upon realizing that he literally planned out the next decade of the game and seeing that they didn't have the resources to reach it, he left Funcom main and formed Red Thread Games to work on the new Dreamfall games for Funcom. Probably because the name Funcom is toxic in the industry right now and Ragnar is too good a writer to go down with that ship.

Even with all that in mind and working at a separate company he is still the Creative Director of The Secret World.

This is just depressing :(

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Will fists/blade survive blue mountain?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
There is no solo mode for dungeons, right?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Goddamn Ak'ab make me just not want to bother. I love the game but gently caress the vertical difficulty curve of blue mountain.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

poptart_fairy posted:

Dragon seem to be the most clued up and in the strongest position to influence stuff, but their briefings and text can feel kinda dull. Illuminati constantly poo poo on and make you look like a dufus but that might be your thing. :v:

Not sure about the Templar.

The Illuminati handler is seriously the best. Valley girl snark :allears:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I just hope a build leaks and we get private servers whenif Funcom goes belly up.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Toshimo posted:

This looks like some MSPaint poo poo, not the work of a company in sound financial shape:

:ohdear: Please don't kill Secret World funcom.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So they're hurting for money. Guess it's time to subscribe, try to keep this thing afloat until I finish it :smith:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Megazver posted:

This won't happen. Unfortunately.

We can have hope. I don't want this to be my next City of Heroes.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

M_Sinistrari posted:

As my friends say they're picking up the game this weekend, I picked it up to start getting used to things. Considering I'm still not 100% on what I'm doing half the time, I'm having too much fun running around killing zombies in Kingmouth with an AK and lightning. While everyone here's said decks are pretty crappy and only to be bothered with for the free clothes I have a kinda dumb question that I can't find the answer anywhere on. Is it possible to get multiple free clothes for completing multiple decks? Despite never really playing with Barbies as a kid, I'm very addicted to doing pretty princess dress up when it's possible in a MMO.

Yup, sure can! I hope you chose Illuminati for the best handler. I swear going valley girl was such a good decision character wise.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
They didn't skimp on the quality of the voice acting, which makes a huge impact I think.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Amante posted:

Cautiously optimistic. If the game is ever to do better financially, something like this is their only real shot.

Around the relaunch also seems like a good time to try and reestablish a goon presence. Other than Plat and I, who's game?

I'll be playing this game until they unplug it. Maybe one day I'll finish Solomon Island!

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I just want to say for all of Funcom's faults, they've always believed in TSW and wanted it to succeed. There's no other game like it and I'm just happy they haven't killed it.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
The official forums are being real negative nancys. It's better than it being put in maintenance mode.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
The way they phrased things in the investor PowerPoint I was expecting an actual release. I hope I can get in the closed beta :ohdear:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

The Bramble posted:

I wish they would give a hint as to when this is actually happening. TSW never should have been an MMO, and I'm interested to see the direction they take with the "new" game. Also what is up with people sticking 'legends' at the end of game titles these days. Must have tested really good in a focus group 5 years ago to not bother coming up with something new.

Yeah, the reclassification of the game as a "shared world action rpg" is an interesting one.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Len posted:

Starting over from nothing...I don't know how I feel about that.

I mean, you can continue to play TSW as it is now if you want. I kind of get having to start over for the seperate relaunched version.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 29, 2017

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

dumb and kinda scared posted:

Just wantched the legends trailer, starting to have doubts about graphics improvements because it looks like rear end :D Worse than game itself on max graphics. Not sure how division style instancing would improve the game. I thought it was just right on my server. A crowd in Agartha of course, people in London but only rarely a player in other zones just enough to remind me that I'm not the only bee out there.

I honestly don't think the trailer has the updated graphics. It's more of a teaser really.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

afkmacro posted:

Official forums are also filled with people saying they've been betrayed.

quote:

So I put over 1000 hours into my main
...and you want me to just start over?

...I don't even now how to respond to this. I'm heart broken. I feel betrayed. Unwanted.

At the very least you could have compensated existing players who have certain end game achievements with a fully progressed SWL character (gear vouchers/etc). But instead -- 'start over'?

... I guess I'll just go, then. That seems to be what you want.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Not gonna lie, I keep compulsively checking my email for a beta invite.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Yue posted:

There is a good reason for this. I'm not in the beta either, but I've heard things. By all accounts, this isn't the PR demo we're used to thinking of when we hear "beta," this is a product in serious need of customer feedback. The beta forums, reportedly, are being read and listened to.

I'm sure we'll all get in later on, when things are finished, but right now there's placeholder voice acting by random people from the office, WIP models, character creator is halfway between the old models and the new and looks hilariously wrong as a result...The only thing that worries me is the "spring 2017" launch date. Unless they're working harder than Funcom has ever worked before I don't see this stuff being fixable before the middle of May.

So it's an old school beta. Like the original TSW release. Kind of fitting.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I remember getting into the original TSW continuous closed beta because Funcom loving screwed up a giveaway of keys and sent us permanent ones. It was hilarious and got me to try most of the game for months before its original release. Surprisingly, even though it was super rough, the way they kept improving on the beta was one of the reasons I actually bought the game despite its issues.

Hell yeah. It was the first (and only) beta I've ever been in. Seeing how it improved was really cool.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Tallgeese posted:

Holy Lord on high they managed to make character customization....

....worse?!

It's nowhere near as bad as Destiny's, but yeah that sucks sliders are out (for now)

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Capntastic posted:

This happened to a person I know

I pointedly am no longer using the word friend

I just went through a month of spam to make sure this didn't happen to me. Is the From: Funcom though?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cool, thanks. Most recent thing was a Conan advert from the 3rd :(

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
The account page after key entry has a weird required field you can't select anything on, and I can't get past it. Goddamn it Funcom.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Tallgeese posted:

Did it actually work?

Supposedly when SWL first appeared they were being sold for 50.

I had to mail support to get the beta key entry screen, but it worked for me.

(Around $12)

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

If you guys want the economy changed you should start making lots of threads on it. They may hear it and go, "Oh, you know what..."

Yeah, please god. The beta forum exists for a reason, be the change you want to see in The Secret World. Please.

Especially when we have people on there defending the death tax and the monetization choices.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 4, 2017

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
The new combat feels so good too. I'm praying they can fix this poo poo.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Len posted:

It will feel better once I get rid of this shotgun and get a blade or chaos back. I'm not used to ranged weapons and ultimately I'm not enjoying shotgun/hammer

Oh true, I can imagine not having your weapons of choice available at first can be iffy at best. It's a big difference from the original TSW shtick.

I do like the new dream like opening, showing a tiny bit of the different areas with the original monologue occasionally playing. The tutorial npc VA sucks, surprisingly from TSW.

E: screw it, someone might want to be surprised.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Pilchenstein posted:

They said on a stream that it's literally just someone from the office until they get an actor in. :v:

Oh drat, now I feel kind of bad for being harsh.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Len posted:

I just started with phase 3 but apparently it's changed with each phase so time will tell. I really want to believe it's just numbers being thrown out but they should really post a thing saying that

They are rather quiet, aren't they?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Lawlicaust posted:

So I went and unlocked another weapon today for 60K marks. For reference 9.5k marks is 10 dailies that take about 3 hours to do. So 7 days of dailies assuming you don't spend marks for anything else.

Turns out, I only unlocked the active skills. It's another 60k for passive skills. So it's 14 days of dailies per weapon. Or 89 days for all 7 assuming you don't buy anything else.

So between the cost to unlock a weapon (120K) and how long it's going to take to get new gear (since there are no drops), level that gear, get AP and SP (which are obtained significantly slower than in live TSW), casual players aren't going to switch weapons. What you start with is all you'll use. Even for more serious players, it will be at least a month to get a new weapon fully unlocked (Active/Passive), have enough points in it to not be poo poo, and have it upgraded enough to be useful. So you better hope that one of the starting classes has two weapons that you want because you are pretty stuck otherwise.

Edit: Also regarding gearing, someone posted the stats of fully leveled items. It goes:
  • Green: 1-20
  • Blue: 1-25
  • Purple: 1-30
  • Yellow: 1-35
  • Red: 1-70

Fully leveled Red weapons are literally 10x-15x the power (depending if you've upgraded them from Faded -> Luminous - Radiant) of fully leveled green ones.

Thought you might like this from the OF

quote:

1 week to unlock active new weapon.

-> you can have more mark by selling item 
-> it seems like there is other way to have more mark at level 50

No, it´s not too expensive

You don´t need to unlock both active and passive to test if you like a new weapon or not.

Lol this is bad and I hope to god Funcom doesn't listen to those kind of testers.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

macnbc posted:

Funcom has announced that SWL will be launching on June 26.

Hopefully they can finish getting their poo poo together in another month and a half.

Woooooow

RIP TSW

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Len posted:

Welp I'm done with beta until 6/9/17 when my ban gets lifted. I was too negative

This is absolutely rediculous and clearly the devs are happy to allow this game to finally die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

CoffeeBooze posted:

But now Funcom is trying to fix the game and people are bitching about that too. It seems like this thread is just for bitching for the sake of bitching really. Which of course is fine that is a key part of the MMORPG experience but as someone whose not really part of the games community it does seem a little absurd at times. Being upset that Funcom is trying to fix its product to appeal to more people so it can continue to operate it is a tad much.

Oh, and its being called a relaunched because they are transitioning to new servers including a reset of the game world. Calling everyone starting over from the beginning a relaunch seems appropriate.

This doesn't read like you've played the new beta whatsoever.

E: Oh I'm not in the games community, so I'm just gonna :smug:

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 27, 2017

• Locked thread