Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Who cares whether it was a "blunder"- fact of the matter is there are plenty of people using them. We've already established it won't get AirDrop because of chipset; what other features won't be there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Just get a smart cover and one of the many back cases that work with them. Bonus of this approach is being able to take to cover off when you don't need it and it's just getting in the way (aka portrait orientation use).

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Make sure you get a bluetooth keyboard, too. Touchscreen keyboards suck balls for extensive typing like coding requires.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Funny you ask - I picked up the Zagg Folio for my Air this afternoon and am very happy with it so far. It pretty much turns your iPad into a netbook. It balances fine with your iPad at whatever angle, and it works great on your lap or a table alike. The keyboard is pretty good, too - about what you'd expect from a netbook.

edit- also just realized that a nice bonus for the Zagg is that you can still use the iPad in portrait if you hold at the hinge as if it's a hardcover book - it balances very nicely in the hand.

Dicty Bojangles fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 15, 2013

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Yeah it's pretty solid. It's plastic but feels very sturdy and doesn't warp at all. As a case it covers everything except the buttons and bezel - including the speaker holes, oddly enough, but that doesn't hinder sound at all. It isn't "throw onto concrete" sturdy, but can easily be tossed into a bookbag without any hesitation. And the keys/etc on the keyboard are definitely netbook/laptop quality. I've been typing all this about it without any issues.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

If she has the Apple case, though, propping isn't a problem.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

XMBC is open source and supports more plugins/formats/themes/etc., but Plex is more stable and easier to set up in my experience.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I've been enjoying a ZAGGkeys Cover on my Air going on a month now. It's clam-style and balances nicely either on a table or in your lap - pretty much just turns your iPad into a netbook. I've never had to charge the thing so far, with regular use. Bluetooth keyboard is much better than screen typing, in my opinion. Physical keys are a lot more gentle to my fingertips over extended writing sessions, but maybe that's just my fault for being an overly-forceful screen tapper.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I don't like magazines on the ipad mini.

Comics and pdfs, too, or photo editing are really cramped on the Mini. I'm glad I switched to an Air.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

iOS is *nix based - it already has users and groups at the system level, just not on the GUI/user side.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

priznat posted:

Has anyone gotten the Zaggkeys cover (not folio) for the Air? Curious how the retention with that clip is.

Haven't seen any around here but I am pretty much set on that for an iPad keyboard. I want to see one in person before buying though.

I have one and it's the only case I use. I'm not sure what you mean by "clip" - hinge? If so, the hinge has held up perfectly fine for the past ~3mo that I've had it, opening and closing it over and over again like it's a netbook. It holds the iPad in without any problem at all. I've tried several other keyboard cases and always go back to the Zaggkeys because it's so much lighter and easier to use. The key spacing is a lot better than the Belkin keyboards I've tried, too. Plus it isn't nearly as limited angle-wise as the folio cases. I could go on but tl/dr, just get one and you won't look back.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Yup, it clips on, but only with the iPad in landscape, facing toward the keyboard. The hinge is built like a laptop, and opens to about 135°. You can still use your iPad in portrait, though, but you have to hold the case like a hardback book with the hinge opened all the way. It balances well enough to be easily held with one hand behind, at the "spine".

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

priznat posted:

One question that perhaps someone knows, I've had no luck googling it so far: is there a shortcut to send a message in Hangouts or Facebook? Not a biggie to hit "send" or "post" or that little arrow, but still.

That's up to the developer - with iOS 7 came key binding support but since it's a new feature most apps haven't picked it up yet. iCab Mobile has it, but the developer is still ironing out the bugs in execution.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Nah there's still the whole "typing the message" part where it saves a whole lot of time.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Laptops have never really worked all that well for me on any surface other than a table due to air flow/cooling issues so in comparison my iPad is a thousand times more portable and much more comfortable to use for casual reading. Can't say I like spending extended periods of time hunched over a desktop/laptop when I can hold my iPad at any angle I need without lighting my lap on fire, and do pretty much all the same stuff short of heavy duty processor work.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

SpookyLizard posted:

For the air, The Zagg keys cover isnt a shoddy piece of poo poo like their folio cover is.

Seconding- the earlier version of the Zagg keys with the full plastic iPad back served me very well for ~8mo so on a whim I got the newer clamp-only aluminum version and have enjoyed it even more. They're both equally solid build-wise, just depends on whether you want more iPad protection.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

They p good

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I’ve barely used my MacBook since I put my iPad in one.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I like tiReader for pdf/epub/etc.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

tuyop posted:

I like the multitasking but usually the gestures go away. How do I make this leave???

Usually it goes away after like 5 seconds but not this time!

I don't have any solution for you but can commiserate... I've noticed that grabber disappears when I place the drawer on the right-hand side of the screen, but it stays visible all the time when it's placed on the left-hand side of the screen.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

My iPad Mini is my sofa consumption device for reading these dead whatever forums, and for playing music to my Bluetooth speakers. I have it in a bubbly case my two-year-old can’t destroy. It’s also a perfect size screen for FaceTiming grandparents and watching Wibbly Pig.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Upgraded my crusty 6th gen iPad to the new Air yesterday… whooo boy this thing flies so fast I gotta take a break and catch my breath

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Peanut Butler posted:

makes sense- this thread also seems to be more for day to day normal-style iOS usage; is there a good thread on these forums for ppl who hack-n-crack iDevices?

There’s an iOS jailbreak thread but it hasn’t seen any action in a long while-

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3412396

People def still do it and likely it wouldn’t be very difficult for you to do, it just hasn’t had much discussion around here lately. If you check out something like https://www.idownloadblog.com/ you’ll find a lot of tweaks/etc to try.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

MrBond posted:

On the other hand if you do get a jailbreak to work, go nuts because there’s basically nothing to lose.

Trying something new is awesome!

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Are there any manufacturers other than Apple and Logitech making keyboard cases that power off the iPad Air/Pro? I love that aspect but am having troubles finding THE ONE that meets all my hopes and needs.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I know we all have our favorites, so I’ll suggest mine: Calculator Pro Elite - https://apps.apple.com/us/app/calculator-pro-elite/id782873188

reason: history tape

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

What are some good iPad-centric wallpaper resources? I need some new color in my life.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Thanks!

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I can’t imagine I’m the only person who uses their 5th gen iPad Air as a VNC client when iPadOS gets too claustrophobic, so just in case -

I was looking for a geometry setting to use for vncserver on my closet NUC running Ubuntu. One that won’t trigger RealVNC’s automatic zoom in/out on connection, and isn’t too high resolution to use over a bad connection. For my iPad Air 5, 1280x846 works pretty well - obviously not the highest rez but looks sharp enough for me.

To set that resolution to default when launching vncserver, I created ~/.vncrc, and added
code:
$geometry = “1280x846”;
and that’s it. Thanks for reading hope it helps.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

nPlayer Plus has been my go-to for offline movies/tv show playback for a while.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is that an app? Will it just let me view stuff I drag across in iTunes or something?

Yes, it is a media player app. You can add files via pretty much however you’d like (including iTunes file sharing, network shares, Dropbox, you name it), and it will play most formats without needing any conversion.

See: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/nplayer-plus/id539397400

Dicty Bojangles fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 10, 2023

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

TOOT BOOT posted:

Factory reset and turn off Find my iPad.

What you mean is “turn off Find my iPad then factory reset”.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

TraderStav posted:

So this would not work to use the iPad as an external monitor for a Switch, SteamDeck, or other device that doesn't have a female HDMI?

No, that’s why these options rely on an HDMI capture card in the middle. It’s a janky solution but do what you need I guess.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

TraderStav posted:

Sorry, I feel like I should be getting all of this, but I'm not. I thought the Genki and Orion solutions were two options that addressed the same thing, but they're not?

For Orion, they recommend this card: https://www.amazon.com/Capture-1080...xoptics-20&th=1

That's pretty simple to me, plug USB-C into iPad, plug HDMI cable into other end. The other end of that source could be a USB-C -> HDMI adapater (that isn't a capture card) for a Switch/SD/Macbook, etc but otherwise could just plug directly into a Dock or PC that has a female HDMI.

Does the Genki one just work similarly, just in reverse? The HDMI plugs into the source and then Male to Male USB-C to the iPad?

Sorry to be so pedantic, I'm usually better about groking these solutions but I'm struggling on this one.

I misunderstood your post. Yes, if your source doesn’t have HDMI out, then possibly a USB-C to HDMI adapter plugged into the HDMI to USB-C capture card might work. Latency might be a significant barrier with the more links you add to your chain of dongles, though. At that point it seems a lot easier (and possibly cheaper) to just buy a small LCD screen, instead. Or a large screen with PIP built in, then you can just plug all your devices into one screen.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

That just depends on how your source is handling it - hooked to your Macbook through whatever frankenstein chain works, your iPad is just showing what’s being piped to it, be it mirroring or second screen, whatever.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I love my Air and use it as a laptop replacement all the time. I suppose if money didn’t matter I prob would’ve gotten a pro but at my usage the feature difference doesn’t make a wit of difference.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Rinkles posted:

Cross posting, Idk how Apple okayed it, but fyi ScummVM is available on iOS App Store (free) atm.

Hot drat you’re not kidding… thanks for the heads-up! Place your bets how long it’ll be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Every time I’ve done a trade-in at the fruit stand the credit has been applied immediately on my purchase- I do it whenever I get a new phone. I’ve never had to wait for Apple to process anything because they do it right there, they run the diagnostics right in front of you and complete the trade-in immediately.