Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Some other little things:
You can split and unsplit the keyboard with a horizontal pinch gesture on it, or slide up with the bottom right key. And another comparison point between the big and mini iPad, it's a lot easier to touch type on the big one due to the extra size. Meanwhile thumb typing much more manageable on the mini vs the big one due to the smaller size and lighter weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Vinlaen posted:

I'm trying to decide between using my iPad 4 or selling it and buying a Macbook Air... Difficult choice since both are very awesome machines. (I only use both from the couch though)
I'm thinking of going iPad mini and MBA 11" at some point. Since getting the mini my old big iPad hasn't been getting as much use. It's better for typing...but I figure a MBA would be even better and be more flexible (there are times I'd really like a desktop OS vs iOS workarounds or remoting into my computer).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Tim Cook himself said to not put too much weight into production and supplier rumors :v:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

DarkJC posted:

They're all just wishes. Apple went through a lot of effort to move all of their iOS device launches to September/October, including launching a new iPad 6 months after the previous one.

I don't see why they'd launch any in June this year.
Just to spread production and launches out basically, like outside of a MBPR bump earlier this year there hasn't been anything since the launches to everything mid-late last year...but I'm guessing people expecting an iPad launch are forgetting about the probable Mac launches soon.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

The 3rd gen is retina, though. What are you saying? Mine works great.
Basically they quadrupled the pixels being drawn but only doubled up on GPU power (and without a die shrink it ended up with a massive SoC as a result), and otherwise only doubled up on RAM while leaving the CPU the same.

It's not bad by any means, it was just a stopgap.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Cawd Rud posted:

Nope, they should work perfectly. Are you connecting it to a computer or charger? If it's not an official Apple cable it may just be a bad cable that isn't playing well with the iPad wanting to draw more power or something, but that's just a wild guess.
Yeah keep the charger part in mind too, the cable could be fine but he might be plugging into a source that can't output what the iPad needs. Like on a lower power source the iPad will show "not charging", but iirc will actually charge while the screen is off, albeit slowly.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Torka posted:

Just ordered from the Apple store, based almost entirely on somebody linking me to a video demonstrating the GarageBand app. Holy poo poo that thing looks like criminal amounts of fun.
If you're musically inclined there's a lot of awesome stuff available, prepare your credit card :retrogames: :getin:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If he had an unencrypted iTunes backup on a computer they might be able to go through app data there (and manually inject stuff to view on another iPad if necessary). Otherwise yeah I think they're boned barring an exploit.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Skittle Wood posted:

Okay, just wanted to make sure there wasn't one site that would be more successful than the default go-to resell sites.
Well Amazon has two or three routes to sell. You can sell direct to the buyer, send it in and have Amazon sell it for you ("Fulfillment by Amazon"), or sell it to Amazon. I did #2 for my first iPad way back, and thank god cause the drat buyer had buyer's remorse while it was in transit. Amazon took care of the return and still credited me the money...I have no clue how that worked or what the norm is, but I was happy. I did #3 for my mom's iPad just cause by that time the amount they were paying was about as much as I'd expected to get, so it was a good and easy deal.

eBay had something similar, but I don't know if they do it at certain times (like after refreshes or holidays) or if it was some other limited promotion.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Skittle Wood posted:

I actually had no idea there were so many options on Amazon. I've never sold any devices that wasn't a transaction between myself and a friend.
Forgot to mention that the fulfillment option has some fee for it that they take out of your sale...and I think some warehousing fee at some point, but I forget how long until that starts. And Amazon buying stuff isn't for everything, but it looks like they still do it for the 2nd-4th gen iPads at least, and I think it's for gift card credit only? Wasn't a big deal for me since I buy a lot of crap there to begin with but it's something to keep in mind.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Re: screen protectors, matte ones screw with retina display clarity, wet application (soft?) ones feel bad, while the glossy static cling thin/hard plastic sheet ones seem alright, from the ones I've seen/used before at least. They do have their own drawback in that the plastic is relatively easy to scratch vs the glass, so it can end up getting all scratched up with stuff that might not have affected the glass at all in the first place, so your screen looks like poo poo anyway because the protector itself isn't scratch resistant.

...well another option is a glass protector but they're relatively costly, like $20-30* $60-80? Basically just a thin sheet of glass that sticks on and supposedly looks and feels fine since it's glass like the screen (although I don't remember if they have an oleophobic coating, so they might get more fingerprinty).

*forgot this was the iPad thread, didn't even know they existed until the link a few posts below :doh:

japtor fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jul 29, 2013

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
My wild guess would be a DNS hijack of some sort, so yeah try on different networks, and/or manually set a known good DNS in network settings perhaps.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

I don't think there's any fundamental reason it can't. Remember that it has a chip in it to control everything, though there might not be any devices that will accept 3.0 yet.
Yeah the way they presented it, the Lighting connector itself is protocol agnostic so theoretically they can do USB 3.0 or whatever else through it. Whether they actually bother is another story, partially cause the speed of the flash on board, but also the increasing speed of wifi technologies.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
All I can think of is making up some clunky setup unless you can find a portable printer with AirPrint. Like this AirPrint server + some wifi LAN setup (perhaps the iPad itself if they're cellular models with tethering?) + whatever portable printer compatible with the AirPrint server. The issue is if they have to be fully portable cause then you'd need a battery, but if the printers need an outlet to begin with it wouldn't be too horrible. I'd probably get a small power strip and make some self contained zip tied contraption with the wifi and print server so it'd end up like another little brick to carry.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

There will be a new iPad and it will look more like the iPad mini potentially including thinner bezels. Also it will be faster.
And the iPad mini might get a retina display. Or might not, it depends which rumor you read on which day.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Macintosh posted:

I think I should be good as far as writing papers go because I do have access to a desktop computer that I can use in a pinch.

A potential hiccup in the plan is can the iPad upload files to websites? If I wanted to attach my resume to an online application can I do that? If it can't do that maybe it makes more sense to just get a real computer.
Yeah that'd be a problem if there's no alternative ways to submit...the whole file management thing is still an issue on iOS and 7 doesn't appear to address that afaik.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Nihiliste posted:

Good point. It's hard to say - Apple doesn't provide unit breakdowns in its quarterly results. Heck, they've even stopped splitting Mac numbers into "desktop" and "portable" categories.
Yeah I'm guessing it already happened, I remember a note about lowered ASP and did a quick skim of the first quarterly report after the mini came out:

quote:

The year-over-year growth rate of iPad unit sales was higher than the growth rate of iPad net sales during the first quarter of 2013 due to a reduction in average selling prices as a result of a shift in product mix toward lower-priced iPad models, including iPad mini.
Unless there was a boom in iPad 2 sales the iPad mini was the only real driver there.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Astroman posted:

-"The Itunes server sometimes goes down for 2-3 hours once every few months, so try again later." :rolleyes: I'm sure I hit it at just the right time, huh?
Well new iPhones and a new iOS just came out so yeah there's actually a decent chance you're just hitting server issues :v:

Otherwise you could try switching up your DNS servers I guess, looks like that works for some people (...or reinstalling iTunes or using a different machine entirely). If you know what version of iOS you can upgrade to, you can try finding the ipsw restore image and downloading that directly. From there you can load it into iTunes and update yourself by shift clicking update or restore (depending which action you want).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If anyone else ever had a wacky idea about using electricity to simulate a finger to create a fine tip stylus but didn't have the actual know how to do it, good news! People smarter than us had the same idea and actually made stuff!

There was a Kickstarter with the concept a while ago but I didn't like the execution (worked, but looked overly fat still), but it looks like Adonit has been working on one too:

https://www.evernote.com/market/feature/stylus?sku=STYL001001

They've been working with Adobe for their stylus project as well, which has also been shown with a tiny tip, so things are looking up for once.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

echobucket posted:

That says the Mini may have the A7.. I find that hard to believe and keep the existing Mini price point. Do you think they'll raise the price? I figured the Mini would get like an A6X chip or something.
The SoC probably isn't a huge cost driver (relatively), and I guess if the big and mini iPads both use it, it might benefit from the increased volume*. The big question is a retina display, but I'm hoping that'll be ok too considering others have gotten high res displays in cheaper tablets already.

*Could make the same argument for the A7, but that's already got shitloads of demand to deal with on the 5S alone at this point.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Hey guys, got a bit of an issue. Tonight I've had two-three instances of my iPad going to the App Store prompting me to download an app, what's odd though is I've not pressed an ad on safari by accident as the apps they ask me to download don't have ads on the pages I'm viewing.

For extra clues, the computer that I use to sync it with has a similar problem that new web pages just opening up prompting me with bull poo poo adverts to which I've tried virus sweepers and what not but it's still there.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Poisoned DNS maybe? Like it might be forwarding you to App Store pages during browsing, or whatever ads on your computer. I guess try changing your router (and/or device/computer) DNS to Google's or another known good one and see what happens. (Assuming Google's isn't poisoned :tinfoil:)

Space Racist posted:

Eh, I'm curious what the 5th gen will have but I really doubt I'll bother with upgrading. I originally wasn't planning on upgrading my 3rd gen until 2014 anyway (admittedly before the surprise reveal of the 4th gen), and presumably this thing will at least be supported throughout the iOS 7 cycle.
I have a 3rd gen and iPad mini, and am hoping for retina mini with A7X and hopefully more RAM. My main issue with hardware is pretty much just the A5 showing its age, beyond that I think I have more annoyances with the limitations of iOS than anything to do with the hardware.

(...other than Wacom digitizer, but Adonit's new thing is hopefully good enough)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I saw butt too but ended up with diarrhea of color instead of an almond.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
That'd be nice, although as long as 16GB is usable and people are willing to spend $100 more for another 16GB I'm guessing it'll stay as is.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
They're still selling the 4S, so the A5 is already alive for another year or so just cause of that. Alternatively I could see the iPad mini sticking around cause the design is staying the same, with the iPad 2 design (used in 3rd and 4th gen) finally going away.

I don't know if they'll do it, but a separate reason to get rid of the 2 and mini is that they're (hopefully) the last non retina display iOS devices.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

unlawfulsoup posted:

I guess, but for $170 difference what would the larger iPad really offer then? Unless they have something else cooked up for it.
A noticeably larger screen that's much nicer to touch type on...that's the main reason I'm iffy about getting rid of my big iPad, and why I've been thinking about getting a notebook to go along with the iPad mini (that and I've needed a desktop for other reasons occasionally anyway).

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

But it's faster than the A6X. :confused: Who cares if it's an "iPhone processor" besides the tiny subset of users who even know what SoC is in their iPad.

The most likely outcome would be an A7X using a PowerVR G6630, which is ~50% faster than the G6430 in the A7. I guess we'll have to see what they do in a week or so. I'm still thinking that A7 (especially in the Mini) is entirely possible.

Also it's really odd that we don't have logic board leaks yet to put this all to rest.
Sounds like it's six "clusters" (whatever that means) vs four, so die space wise hopefully it wouldn't be as large a difference as previous chips. A5->A5X was two to four cores plus a larger die process for the whole SoC, A6->A6X went from three cores to four larger cores.

What would really be nice is more RAM for the iPad vs iPhone but I'm guessing that won't happen. They're using shared memory for the GPU, give it at least a little more memory to deal with the extra pixels! (4.3X if you're too lazy to do the math)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Jet Ready Go posted:

Yeah flat horizontal on a table to type.

The iPad mini is much better for thumb typing though.
Yeah I type on a table or bed or my lap or whatever relatively flat surface. I tend to do the same with the iPad mini but to less than ideal results, for whatever reason I don't thumb type unless it's the only option like when standing up or something. I think I'm probably faster touch typing on it even when accounting for errors.

NeoSeeker posted:

I'm guessing you don't talk about jail breaking in here. And you can't really improve the functionality of the iPad (dosbox) or install a different operating system without jailbreaking?

The thing is I want to play games like fallout 2 and xcom (the older ones, I already have the new one). Games that are slow with lots of depth. I've played frozen synapse and while it was fun It was also incredibly shallow. I got rymdkapsel but while it looks like it has depth each game lasts a short amount of time.

Are there any slow paced strategy games on the iPad with actual length to them? A game is more satisfying when it takes time to build upon something. Like if frozen synapse had a metagame, a home base you improve and possibly defend, pre-equipment options with soldiers that have more than just guns as gear options.
There's a separate thread for jailbreaking, although for dosbox (and other random stuff) there's occasionally been an app that sneaks the functionality through the App Store temporarily until Apple finds out and removes it. Otherwise for other platform gaming options on iPad there's remote computer control/viewing stuff that works to varying degrees, even for games.

As for games in general, ask in the iOS gaming thread, I think it's in the normal Games sub forum these days. I think there's stuff you might like but it's been a while since I've really followed iOS gaming closely. There was one big PC strategy game that came out a while ago, looking it up I think it's "Battle Academy", but I have no clue if builds upon itself like you want or if it's just set piece levels. Anyway ask in the gaming thread and you'll probably get some decent suggestions.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Wengy posted:

EDIT: also, do the new iPads have the same A7 as the 5S? Is the age of the X-series chips for iPads over? I was looking forward to that six-core rogue GPU in the iPad.
Rogue doesn't have cores in the traditional sense :eng101:. I think there's a bunch of shared logic then "clusters" making up the rest of the power, like the GPU area of the A7 die just looks like a big mass of logic vs multiple identical cores in previous chips. The A7 supposedly has four clusters, so a six cluster one would only be 50% faster to begin with (if they scale like the old cores at least). And for all we know it's a bit clocked higher in the iPads, we'll probably find out what's up when Anandtech gets a hold of them I guess.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Wengy posted:

True, I meant those clusters. I guess I was looking forward to a six-cluster-chip in the iPad, but it appears Apple are going back to giving the iPad the same SOCs as the iPhone (like they did in the iPad 1 and the iPad 2). It makes sense to streamline, but I'd gotten used to the iPad having monstrous GPUs.
Well there's this blurb:

Apple posted:

The new Apple-designed A7 chip brings 64-bit desktop-class architecture to iPad. That means up to twice the CPU speed and graphics performance for everything you do. And still up to 10 hours of battery life to study, play, build, and create whatever you want, all you want.1

1 Performance compared with previous generation. Battery life varies by use and configuration; see https://www.apple.com/batteries for more information.
Who knows what metric they're using for the graphic boost (Anandtech shows the A6X and A7 both at 76.8 GFLOPs), but they said 2x for the previous iPad comparison too (which was a straight 2x bump in the FLOP numbers, not that they're even remotely the end all of performance metrics).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Yoshifan823 posted:

I've been fighting my urges to get an iPad for a long time, but I think I'm finally at the point where I wouldn't just be getting one for the "ooh, neat gadget" factor. My laptop is getting older, and the less travelling and schlepping it around in a backpack I do with it, the longer it will live (not that I abuse it or anything, but that sort of thing naturally shakes it up a bit), and with the sort of work I'm getting into, it might actually fit what I would want out of a traveling tech device better than my phone and my laptop.

So I know I want one. The question now is, which one? I like light (I have a MacBook Air 13" currently, and I love love love it), so I'm leaning toward the Mini, I honestly don't think the screen space is worth the extra $100, particularly because I'm already gonna spring for the cellular model. Luckily, my current phone plan is split with my family (not just my parents, but my sister, aunt/uncle, and grandparents as well), so the only question is if we can fit another device on the plan; if we can, there's no way I wouldn't go for that, because it really wouldn't be a huge data boost (I don't plan on doing much video watching/music listening, because I have a TV/iPhone for those things, it would just take over net browsing from my iPhone and maybe some games and work/writing stuff, the latter of which don't really involve much data).

Now the only real question I have is, how much space should I think of getting? I don't plan on keeping much on there in the way of music/videos, unless they're videos I record. It would mostly be apps and documents, and I don't think I'd need bigger than the 16 for those. Is there anything else I should think of? Accessory-wise, I know I'd want a case/cover and an Apple wireless keyboard, but again, not really sure what else I'd need.
Main plusses for me with the bigger screen are touch typing and viewing fixed format pages/small text, like PDFs or textbooks (and I guess comics, not much personal experience with those). Main minus vs the mini is the footprint, it's shaved down but still around 50% larger. The weight is down to around 40% heavier, vs double the weight before, it'll be interesting to see how that feels in hand.

I'm still leaning towards the mini cause the footprint, and the retina display will make PDFs at least technically legible from a resolution/detail standpoint, albeit still more difficult cause the size. And part of my plan is eventually getting a retina MacBook, hopefully the 12" rumor comes true next year.

As for space, I'm using a 16GB mini and 32GB older iPad (3rd gen) from before and it's been ok after starting from scratch and just keeping away from excess apps and media I never use/view. I'm still getting 32 next time just cause it's less to worry about with anything, like it's getting to the point where I'm thinking about sizes of downloads more often now.

japtor fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Oct 24, 2013

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Nihiliste posted:

Keep in mind that one of the reasons people are all excited about the Retina Mini is that its resolution should make documents (and websites) MUCH more legible. If your vision is good, you're not losing much by switching from 9.7 inches to 7.9.
It doesn't sound like much but it's a big difference in size. The resolution will make things legible in terms of all the detail being there, but it's still significantly physically smaller. Note that the iPad Air screen is already a good chunk smaller than a regular letter page, so going to the iPad mini is another step down in size beyond that.

One other note, if you don't need to view full pages at once, the iPad mini screen in landscape is about the same width as the iPad Air in portrait. So you can get the same viewing size, but have to scroll vertically to view a single page.

I guess one thing to try out might be to print PDFs out at a shrunken scale just to simulate how they'd look in real life, to see if the physical viewing size is adequate enough.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
It's also a lot faster.

And it's more than "slightly smaller weight", it's closer to the iPad mini's weight than it is to the iPad 4.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Accipiter posted:

Hey guys.

So my mom is about to lose her job, and I got an email from her asking for "a 10" iPad for Christmas." From subsequently talking to her on the phone, it seems she's calling every tablet that exists an "iPad", but considering I bought her a Mac a few years ago and she loves it, I plan on getting her an actual iPad. I already have two myself. I want to get her a full-size iPad, since she doesn't have the best eyesight and a mini is a little too small.

Here's the thing: She absolutely does not need cellular or anything absolutely cutting-edge, and I don't want to spend a poo poo-ton of cash on something she's not going to even approach using to its limits. That said, I also want to get her a new unit with a warranty. The Apple refurb store prices a 3rd Gen iPad at $359 which isn't awful, but I'm wondering if anyone knows any place where I can get a better deal on an older yet still new unit.
I'd suggest a 4th gen, in which case it's looking like places are selling it for $450, just saw it on Walmart, Best Buy, and Target sites at least. You could wait and see how much more they get discounted as they get cleared out once the new ones are released, course the longer you wait the more you risk just missing out on one I guess.

101 posted:

Is there any reason for me to get the Air over the Mini?

I'm mainly going to be using it to read comics and browse Awful/Twitter.

I had a 3 which was just too heavy and sold it to get the Mini. I just couldn't enjoying using it for long with the lovely screen resolution, but I loved the form factor.

I was sold on the Mini but with the Air being so light I'm starting to consider it.

Would one be better than the other for Comixology/Comic Zeal? The Air has a larger screen but the Mini has higher DPI, I'm stumped :ohdear:
Bigger screen without being that much heavier basically. I wouldn't be concerned about DPI (the bigger screen is still drat sharp), just legibility of the comics due to size. Ultimately it's still got a bigger footprint though, so while weight may not be much of a factor now there's still that to think about.

Psyker posted:

What I do want to know is... The mini and the Air have the same specs this time around, correct?
That's the assumption for now, there hasn't been any tests (revealed) yet. So far we just know the iPhone runs at 1.3ghz while the iPad Air runs at 1.4, the iPad mini could possibly match either or be somewhere in between for all we know at this point.

Whitefish posted:

I'm considering buying an iPad for the first time as a laptop replacement. I do have a laptop already, but it's bulky and heavy, and is no good for using in lectures and seminars because it takes an age to load, and takes up too much space. Ideally what I want is something for viewing documents, and something that will allow me to do a bit of typing too. Not essay writing, but typing for the purposes of taking brief notes while reading a book. I'll keep my laptop for when I need to do serious computer work.

I'm wondering if people think an iPad would be appropriate for me? Obviously it's great for viewing documents, but what about word processing (I'd buy some sort of keyboard to go with it)? I know you can buy iPad covers that double as keyboards, but is it also possible to buy a standalone (but mobile) bluetooth keyboard to use with the iPad?

I really like the size of the iPad mini, but I guess that would be less appropriate for word processing, even if it is possible to buy a standalone keyboard to use with it.

Any advice much appreciated.
Notes while reading a book could be an issue cause the lack of split screen multitasking, like you can't have a doc viewer app open on one side and take notes in another app on the other side. But there are some apps that can do viewing+note taking at the same time, so it'll depend on what format your stuff is in, what apps are available, and if they'll work how you want to work.

But as far as typing up stuff in general, I'm fine with touch typing on the big iPad at this point (although code type stuff is still a pain), while the iPad mini feels really cramped like a netbook keyboard, but is better at thumb typing cause the smaller size. Like if I have to type a lot I don't mind the iPad, while with the mini I prefer using my Bluetooth keyboard when possible.

In both cases there's still an advantage with a BT keyboard cause the arrow key cursor control and the standard text editing shortcuts, plus it allows more stuff to be shown on screen without the software keyboard in the way. On the other hand it can kinda feel awkward sometimes if you have to do stuff other than type cause there's no mouse, like you type up stuff, then have to reach for the screen for some random function.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

djhaloeight posted:

? They both have 1GB RAM. Why more refreshes with the air? I haven't noticed that with my air either, coming from the 3rd gen.
64-bit stuff uses more RAM. I was hoping for 2GB cause of that but eh, maybe next year.

TraderStav posted:

Any keyboard cases for air come out yet?
Not sure if they're all out yet but I guess these are the major ones:
http://www.belkin.com/us/ipad-air-keyboard-cases/
http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/tablet-accessories/ipad-5
http://www.zagg.com/keyboard-cases/index.php

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Anyone post about the Target trade in deal?

targettradeinprogram.com posted:

Between November 3rd thru 9th visit your local Target Mobility store and trade in any iPad for at least $200 *. To take advantage of this offer simply follow the below steps:

Step 1: Find your local Target mobility store by clicking here and selecting "Target Mobile" under store services.
Step 2: Your device will be appraised in-store at the mobility kiosk.
Step 3: $200 minimum promotional credit will be issued on a Target Trade-In Gift Card and is redeemable in any Target store.

* Visit TargetTradeInProgram.com for store hours, locations and to see if your iPad qualifies for the offer. To be eligible for trade in, the iPad must power on and screen must not be scratched.
If you have an old rear end original iPad I think it's a good deal...or if you have a newer one and you're too lazy to sell another one through other means even if you could get more. I did it today with my brother's old original (with two dents on the back!) and my 3rd gen, took a few minutes and got a $400 gift card. Don't need to bring anything other than the iPads themselves, the guy just checked the buttons and model number or something in Settings. I didn't try myself but supposedly you can use the Target gift card to buy the regular credit card ones.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Oh well, I was probably gonna spend it at Target anyway, buy 2 get 1 game free deal in a week or two plus the iPad mini launch eventually. November 21st or 22nd is the rumored date going around apparently.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Xabi posted:

I might be blind or stupid (or even both) but where can I find a list of Safari gestures for ipad? Googling only gives me ios7 gestures for the iphone. Specifically, is there a way to scroll back and forth etc? The one-finger iphone swipe doesn't seem to work, and my hand almost automatically tried the trackpad gesture (two I think. hard to remember as I'm not on a mac now, the hand does it by itself) but that didn't work either.
It's the same gesture as iPhone actually, swipe from the edge.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

dzarc posted:

I don't know how to the phrase the question in a Google search. So how high of a pixel density do you need so that you can't see them anymore no matter how close you are to the screen (to the naked eye)? Would jamming a 4k display on a 10" or even 12" tablet be overkill?
From some quick searching the minimum focusing distance of the human eye is around 6 inches, so by this calculator (whether it's using the actual retina equation have no clue though) 4K@10" is pretty close to the mark. But yeah it'd be overkill cause you're not going to be viewing the screen that closely the vast majority of the time.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

POCKET CHOMP posted:

I have no idea what they go for, but I think you're actually talking about an "iPad 3", though as far as I know neither the iPad 3rd or 4th generation were ever officially numbered.

The "iPad 3" was "the new iPad", and then the "iPad 4" was labeled the same, it introduced the lightning connector. Then the Air brings us to the current gen, at least for the full-sized iPads. I think. :)
The 4th gen was "iPad with Retina display" :downs:. Which resulted in this amusing thing I saw on Apple's trade in page:

Assuming he means 3rd gen, Amazon's trade in value is $210 to $267, Target's is $223, Apple's is $261 to $276. A quick skim on eBay says the going rate there is about $350-400.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
The Air is slightly faster and still has a better screen actually :eng101:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7519/apple-ipad-mini-with-retina-display-reviewed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

priznat posted:

Yeah, I see why they do it and it's perfectly fair. Just in my goofy mind it throws a wrench into my decision making process. I'd go for the Air almost automatically if the prices and specs were the same apart from screen size. I'm just a cheap rear end :haw:
Yeah that's just being cheap :v:. It's like with TVs (...a lot like them actually cause the screen is the differentiator here too), if you want a bigger screen you'll be paying more for it.