Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

The Dave posted:

Please don’t tell me you’re janitoring your Bluetooth in 2020.

Dude just came over from Android, what does your heart tell you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Dang, I hadn't tried the floating keyboard before and this may be a game changer. Looking forward to this week.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Civ 6 is basically full-featured on iPad, but pricey.

You like EVE Online? Wanna join the Goon Squad? EVE Echoes came out last week.

Holy cow, looks like I've been missing out on this. $20 for the full version doesn't seem so bad compared to $60. Looks like a fantastic port, I may plunk down for it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

There was some discussion recently on this. I'm interested in setting up a host on my NAS (Unraid) to serve up Comics so they don't have to be all local on my iPad. What's the best current server/iOS reader pairing today? I'm okay spending money on them if they're high quality / high compatibility?

Idea is to store the CBRs on the server and fire up the iPad app to point to it and either read over the network or be able to pull them in easily to local storage.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Chunky lets you connect to pretty much whatever you want. I don't think it will read it over the network though. You'd have to copy it over. Honestly, that's how I'd do it anyway.

Yeah, browsing the server and pulling down locally makes the most sense. Looks like Panels is able to access my server just fine using Files.app. I may just go that route. Would have been nice to serve up to a friend of mine though, which I trust enough to give my VPN information to so that could still be in the cards.

Does Ubooquity allow for external access like I described above?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

Apple Event announced for September 15, 2020, 1 PM EDT.

'Time Flies'

They’re throwing the watch out the window??

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

E: I’m still looking for a way to play a YouTube* video and have the entire screen disabled to touch controls. It’s for my cat. She loves these 10-hour videos on YouTube with birds flying in and out and gets really into it, chattering at the screen and pouncing on it time to time. Every time she tries to touch it she brings up the HUD and ends up closing or minimizing the video

:3:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

jabro posted:

If your cat is watching YouTube for 10 hours a day maybe it should spring for Premium.

Really don't want to judge your parenting style, but I'm not sure that's healthy. We limit our dogs screentime to 3 hours a day to DogTV and make it take a walk after 90 minutes. Got to find balance in their lives. You'll end up with a pet that sleeps all day and doesn't pitch in around the house.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

beergod posted:

God why can’t I split screen zoom so I can multitask during these insufferable zoom meetings

The rationale is that iOS disables cameras when an app isn't using the full screen to prevent one from secretly using your camera in the background or without you being aware.

Yes, there's better implementations they could implement, but at least that's the logic.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Laserface posted:

hi friends. I need to know the best way to connect an external monitor, mouse, keyboard and power to an ipad pro 11" with as fewer dongles or accessories as possible.

thank you.

Logitech has keyboard and mice that will pair over Bluetooth, can pair with multiple devices even. I have a keyboard that I toggle between my personal laptop, work laptop, and iPad.

Then just get a USB-C dongle with video out and power in and you’re golden. I have one I picked up pretty cheaply.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

The MX ergo trackball also lets you toggle between two devices also.

I finally got to put my hands on a magic keyboard at Costco (was $25 or $50 cheaper too) and drat is it nice. I'm about 60% there I'm going to pick it up.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

So I did end up biting the bullet and picking up the magic keyboard for my 12.9”. What’s really surprising is how great the trackpad implementation is. It feels like the last component to making the iPad complete as a laptop experience, aside from doing desktop development.

Any tricks/tips on things to improve even more usage of the MK? I found I have to manually turn on tap to click, which was frustrating at first and may have been a deal breaker if I had to click instead of tap, but that worked out. Any other customization options that I should look at for improving QoL?

I’m going to google for all the gestures, which are incredible. I was disappointed that in the browser I couldn’t two finger swipe to go back a page, but I will persevere.

My wife said the typing sounds like raindrops hitting, thought that was cute.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m pretty sure PDF expert lets you do that without a subscription. IIRC you only need a sub to do things like edit the actual text, but you can mark things red and annotate with notes all you want for free.

Confirming this. Syncs with my Google drive and I markup PDFs with my pencil with it. Adding blank pages isn't supported, but markup definitely is.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Procrastinated about picking up a refurb 12.9" 2020 pro over the weekend from Apple and now they're all gone (Wifi, 128gb). Does the refurb store regularly refresh or should I start looking at sub-optimal solutions like Amazon renewed? Was hoping to get this in a couple weeks.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

They get new stuff in all the time. I’d just wait it out a bit.

Cheers! Thank you.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

~Coxy posted:

If anyone is planning on upgrading their iPad on March 8th, I'm in the market for an Air2 or newer...

Why do you have my sons tablet?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Just grabbed the refurb 2020 12.9" for my son, thanks for the advice on that tracker website. While I managed to refresh and catch it early, the email just came through shortly after and I would've been able to grab them from that. Appreciate the help!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Just grabbed the refurb 2020 12.9" for my son, thanks for the advice on that tracker website. While I managed to refresh and catch it early, the email just came through shortly after and I would've been able to grab them from that. Appreciate the help!

Returning this poo poo and getting him a 256gb M1 Air!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

My son got the blue air yesterday and ifs gorgeous.

Tripped him out that the volume buttons were reversed but other than that it's great.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I am not capable of making a PowerPoint without Thinkcell, so no deal for me.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Shyfted One posted:

Glad the info leaked while Amazon is having a sale on the 2021 model. $338 for the base model and 2 years of AppleCare+.

Any screen protector and case recommendations for kids?

Have the link for this? I’m in the market to replace my kids iPads.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Check out Defternotes for a non subscription option. Think it costs around $20. I am really liking it for my note taking for my corporate job. I love the infinite and nested workspace. It is made more for handwriting but does support text entry.

Can't sync across devices yet, which is its biggest detractor at the moment but there are backup/exporting functions that you can shoot notes to other devices to join the master version.

Defter is clever as you can easily and quickly rotate the canvas like you would angle your paper/notebook to do so with a real notebook.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Not editing: didn't know that notion changed its personal plan to be free. Used to be a limited number of blocks. Am I interpreting it that it's 100% free and only has a 7 day version history limitation? I read that first that your 7 day notes were not available after that but that doesn't make sense.

May need to check notion out again provided that it's a good solution for using the Apple Pencil

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

MuadDib Atreides posted:

I will add that I’ve found the Apple Pencil to just be not that good in general? I’ve used it with Notability and it’s basically like having a paper notebook full of sloppy hand-written notes. There is no linking, scalability, or anything associated with handwritten stuff. You end up with a digital version of a moleskine full of BS that you will never meaningfully be able to go back to or really use. Missing out on the whole power of digital notes.

For me, that’s the strength. I don’t want a computer attempting to decipher my handwriting and doing stuff with it. I like having a repository of all of my notes handy and organized so I don’t have to carry notebooks with me. I use my iPad mini as a replacement for the notebooks I used to carry around. I can import a presentation and mark it up during the meeting and have it all right there.

I appreciate all the options for people who work differently.

I like how Notion organizes things but disappointed no freehand writing function. Looks like I can import though, so maybe there’s a workflow I can will together without too much complexity.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Very fair. I do use one of them and while you get used to it, it isn’t great. I don’t really watch media on my mini so it works fine for me. I’ll bust out the iPad Pro or AR glasses for that.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Bit of an oddball question, but hoping if someone has a niche recommendation for me. I have a company iPad and spend 99% of my time at home with it. As part of the MDM I am unable to disable the auto-lock so everytime I leave it untouched for five minutes it powers off. I have observed that when a video is playing such as with Youtube the display never goes to sleep. Does there exist some app that does something in the background to keep the screen alive but doesn't perform a higher battery draining activity like music/video playing?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

Like, FULLY off? Not merely in the sleep mode?
If you can't change the lock time limit under Settings > Display and Brightness, then just play a YouTube video and tell Siri to kill the brightness. Then, when you want to use it, tell Siri to raise the brightness to whatever percentage you want

Music apps are some of the least draining you can use, assuming that closing the screen doesn't turn it off-off. Even less if you play something on local storage.

No, not fully off. But enough to have to hit the power button and get FaceID to unlock. May just have to play music or something if that'll do the trick. Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

What are you doing that requires the screen to be on while the iPad is idle?

As someone who manages these devices for a living, making them lock when idle for a few minutes is a really, really good thing.

This might sound a little mean, but you shouldn't be looking for ways to get around your work's security. It's their iPad, not yours. If you want one where you can disable all that poo poo, I'm sure there will be some deals for one in a few weeks.

The General posted:

It's annoying to have to unlock your iPad if you're using it for referencing something, and need to constantly unlock it between references.

Basically this. I'm using the iPad in my super secure basement for reference, monitoring various work chats, and such. It's an irritation, but one that I can get over.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Lot of assumptions going on that I'm using the iPad for personal use. It's work apps and such and obnoxious to have to turn it back on by not keeping it activated for five minutes. That's a real short amount of time. Using it as an extra monitor to spot check emails and chats but 12 times an hour to make sure I have to keep the screen active is a slight negative on my productivity.

I decided to play a 12 hour white noise with black screen YouTube video with the sound down and have it in pip. Solves the problem.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Strong Sauce posted:

i think the most efficient would be playing a video in safari but yeah your only "practical" option here is to play a video.

however.

auto-lock is based on attention awareness. so once _your_ eyes have stopped focusing on the ipad, it starts the timer. and then once it hits the timer, it auto locks.

so the obvious solution is to create a 3d molded cast of your entire head. have it sit on the side the ipad is on and just aim it towards the ipad. your ipad will be unable to start the timer because your double will always be looking at it.

Thank you for being the first in here to provide a serious, productive, and real answer. I’m going to get on this today!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

You know, you could just ask the IT guy if he can set it toa longer time.

Fortune 500 company of over 10k employees. We have no discernible "IT Guy" available to us huddled masses.

May but my bosses it support the next time I see him though. The execs get the luxury of not getting sent into a help desk hell hole when they have problems.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Arivia posted:

seriously try guided access i feel like i'm screaming into a void here

I'll give it a try. Unless I'm misunderstanding how it works I don't want to be locked into a single app. I'm using whatever the name of the feature is to have 3-4 windows arranged around and may swipe over to other apps too. But I'll see if it'll work

You're not screaming into the void, I'm just stubborn.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Follow-up: Cannot use guided access AND Stage Manager. So will not work for my use case. When I have a single app up I'll use it to resolve that issue. Thanks

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Strong Sauce posted:

sorry :shrug: there just really isn't a way to circumvent the autolock since people _do_ want it to do it's thing. i did try to see if using a shortcut that loops a vibration to the phone interrupts the autolock timer but no luck.

only other thing is to get something conductive and have it touch the ipad every so often. otherwise video is probably the only way.

I was just saying I appreciated your joke, didn't mean to come off like a dick if I did.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

This is a tough room

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Biodome posted:

I have both Orion and Genki Studio and used them both to play my Xbox using the iPad as the display. Genki was free and felt like the latency was lower. I preferred Genki.

I'm looking at the Genki shadowcast and I can only find the adapter that is a male HDMI and female USB-C, do you have a link to the one that would work with the iPad?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

Use a male-male usb-c cable to connect it to an iPad.

So this would not work to use the iPad as an external monitor for a Switch, SteamDeck, or other device that doesn't have a female HDMI?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Dicty Bojangles posted:

No, that’s why these options rely on an HDMI capture card in the middle. It’s a janky solution but do what you need I guess.

Sorry, I feel like I should be getting all of this, but I'm not. I thought the Genki and Orion solutions were two options that addressed the same thing, but they're not?

For Orion, they recommend this card: https://www.amazon.com/Capture-1080...xoptics-20&th=1

That's pretty simple to me, plug USB-C into iPad, plug HDMI cable into other end. The other end of that source could be a USB-C -> HDMI adapater (that isn't a capture card) for a Switch/SD/Macbook, etc but otherwise could just plug directly into a Dock or PC that has a female HDMI.

Does the Genki one just work similarly, just in reverse? The HDMI plugs into the source and then Male to Male USB-C to the iPad?

Sorry to be so pedantic, I'm usually better about groking these solutions but I'm struggling on this one.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thanks for all the background, I understand how it works now. Hopefully, one last question: If attached to a Macbook or something similar, can it operate the iPad as a SECOND monitor, or only duplicate the first? The last post has me believing it can only duplicate but perhaps it can do some trickery to mimic being an extra monitor and then 'capture' that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

Macbook can send video feeds to an ipad without all of this using sidecar
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210380

The usb grabber path is if you want to connect non-apple computers or consoles.

Yup! I need to check that out with a hardwire connection as over the network it seems my corporate screen timeout causes it to die after a few minutes.