Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
So does anyone know how to get into the locked fuel storage containers that spawn at some gas stations and the like? Because I have no idea if that’s possible or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Anyone else have some very unusual or unfortunate map-gen with the more recent builds?

I've tried starting runs five times today and yesterday, and three had to be aborted because it uh... went weird?

-One was a horse farm 'safe place' start, an 'easy' start because it had been a while. And the farm was... on a chunk of island. Like the entrance faces the river banks with no road, and going around the back the land just ended.

-A second horse farm start got turbo-hosed by those random alterations to the map. Nothing like a four-by-four location having a Portal In, a wasp nest, a radioactive crater in the barn, and dead scientists so a Migo was around.

-Starting at an evac shelter, I went around for a while just looting and running around (because I found a working mountain bike real fast). Found a mall and chanced going in, got to the roof and looked around... and I was on another loving island. One that honestly looked like an RTS map or something, because on this small island were two malls on either end, surrounded with a couple square blocks of homes and shops, with a forest going through the middle and the evac shelter right in the middle. (The best part was I went looking around, not a boat to be found despite there being like six docks and the new malls having weird vehicle stores that usually have boats).

(The other two runs got ended by the usual rushing buffoonery or hilarious luck. Did you know that there are zombie tigers? Because there are zombie tigers and they have *no* problems having some spawn near where you start.)

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Cruise ship start? That new? How do you get it if you know off hand?

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Telsa Cola posted:

If you would like I can link the mod pack I am running, you basically just have to drop it into your mod folder and you can pick and choose what you want.

Yes please. I tried tracking it down but google is failing me.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Telsa Cola posted:

No worries, I looked myself and couldn't find it, Im 80% certain it's from a discord.

For CDDA: https://github.com/Kenan2000/CDDA-Kenan-Modpack

For BN: https://github.com/Kenan2000/Bright-Nights-Kenan-Mod-Pack

Thanks!

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
I gotta ask, is there a reason to use that NPC Survivor Camp option that I'm missing?

Because while it's nice to have the ability to automate some of the tedium of the game, it's less nice to spend several months building the place (and raiding a few lumber mills and home improvement stores to do so).

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Tin Tim posted:

Not quite what I'm looking for in regards to god mode but thanks! I guess I can abuse the kill command to just delete mobs when I can't deal

Assuming the latest versions, go to your debug menu, then go to the 'Player' menu and then 'Mutate.' Press '/' to initiate a search and type in 'debug.' This will give you a lot of options for debug mutations/traits. I've tested some out to see what they're about.

'Debug Very Strong Back' *used* to set it so your max carry weight was something obscene, and I think it also gave you a lot of storage volume as well. Right now, it appears broken and I recall it being broken for the last year at least. If you want to get something approximating it, go to 'spawn item' and search 'debug' again for the pocket dimension (which I also recommend if you want to ignore the backpack volume BS entirely). As for extra carry weight, the only 'workaround' I know of is going back to the 'Player' menu, going to 'Edit Player/NPC' and selecting yourself, then setting your strength stat to something obscene. Of course this also means that accidentally running into a monster, animal, or NPC will likely gib it if you hit them.

'Debug Night Vision' seems to give you a radius of normal vision even if it is dark. Please note, this does not allow you to read or do other activities which require a light source. Now, I'm not sure if it is this or the next one (Debug Clairvoyance) that grants you the map, so I'm putting it here. One of those debug traits basically grants you the entire map for both viewing and teleporting, without having to permanently reveal it. It could be useful if you're otherwise not cheating, but wanted to start somewhere not allowed by the starting scenarios by searching and teleporting. You won't reveal any place on your map that you don't visit first, so it'd be relatively easy to turn this on, find your military bunker or necropolis or whatever, teleport there, then shut the cheats down.

'Debug Clairvoyance' gives you a radius of I think six to eight tiles where you can see through walls. Kind of useful for labs and the like. Make sure to turn it off if you're in a safe but surrounded area and want to read or whatever. As above, it may also be the 'auto-map' feature. I've never tested them not together, out of laziness.

'Debug Clairvoyance Super' is obscene. Not only is it clairvoyance (and night vision, if enabled) for full visual radius, but you can also see different Z-levels monsters. That being said, this also seems to lag the game slightly while active. I'm not a fan of this one even when I'm doing cheaty runs to look into or test stuff.

'Debug Invisibility' is about as it sounds. Nothing detects you visually and it's pretty nice to pop this on if you either have a Lab (bottom floor) start (to avoid the usual instant kill turrets/robots) or if the game pulls some bullshit (like the multiple times I've been unlucky enough to use a military ID card in a bunker and the turrets *remain* active). I'm not sure if enemies can still eventually target you with just this on.

'Debug Life Support' is... I'm not sure. It seems like it should make it so your hunger, thirst, and possibly sleep shouldn't change. It doesn't do any of that. Nor does it take care of oxygen problems. I recall it being like this in older versions too, so... I don't know.

'Debug Deodorizer' and 'Debug Silent Walk' take care of the other things that help you remain invisible. I'm not sure if the system still works but supposedly zombies 'random' movement is influenced by a smell stat or state, where if you linger in an area your smell picks up or whatever. 'Silent Walk,' meanwhile, removes most player noise. I think gunfire and thrown objects and deliberate noisemaking is fine, but running around or beaning a zombie with a 2x4 won't meaningfully increase noise to attract nearby zombies.

'Debug HVAC' seems to make your character immune or resistant to temperature issues. I'm not entirely sure this works, mainly because I've gotten to the point that I always turn on 'Cryoadaptation' and 'Alpine Conditioning' in the mutations/traits menus, because the developers seem to think I'll freeze to death at 50 F despite being fully dressed and that annoys me.

'Debug Invincibility' seems to be what you're looking for regarding God Mode. Nothing can damage you (though it can still hit you and I think inflict stuff like knockdown), and I'm pretty sure that includes your clothes. Either that, or I'm absurdly lucky when I do something stupid like face-tank a burst of .50 Cal Turret fire and don't lose clothes.

'Debug Hammerspace' is *very* interesting. This basically just shuts crafting requirements off completely, minus 'light' because apparently the game still doesn't want me building a sewer tank without a flashlight even when I'm cheating. You can pop open any of your crafting menus and just immediately start making GBS threads out clothes, constructions, and even clicking on vehicles to add or replace parts almost instantly. (Note: if you want to scratch build a vehicle this way, turn the trait off and spawn whatever starting frame you want to use. Start your vehicle construction with that frame, *then* turn the cheat back on. If you try to do this with the cheat on it does nothing.)

I haven't tested the other debug cheats much if at all. 'Crafting Virtuoso' looks to be new and claims to shut off chances of crafting failure. Neat, I guess. 'Mind Control' I've never used, but I suspect it either makes all NPCs friendly, gives you 100% chances with dialogue options with NPCs, or both. And the Bionic Debugs I've never really toyed with.

OTHER FUN DEBUG MENU THINGS:
-You can add proficiencies to yourself now. 'Player' to 'Edit Player/NPC,' then 'Edit Proficiencies.' This is pretty useful for certain things, like playing one of the mod military classes and adding the ubiquitous 'Principles of Gunsmithing' or whatever proficiency that almost all military have. You can also give yourself 'Lockpicking' so it doesn't take you a full day and twenty improvised lockpicks to pick your way through a door as a starting character with 0-1 Devices skill.
-Speaking of Edit Player, if you edit stats and want to go back to normal (and are using the 'Stats from Skills' or 'Stats from Kills' mods), make sure to set it back to your initial set. Like if you started with 12 strength, go back to that. Not sure how bionics/mutations work with that though.
-While it's a bit hard to parse, you can also use Edit Player to adjust your health, food and water and sleep needs, pain, and so on. If you adjust weight, I believe 'Normal' weight is in the 30000 to 50000 calorie range, and starting players in the 'Overweight' category have around 70000 calories.
-Spawning NPCs is a bit of a crapshoot, because NPCs are invariably a crap shoot. While they've gotten mildly better about it, I recall in older builds of spawning an NPC and it immediately being the 'DROP EVERYTHING AND LEAVE' bandit types. That being said, these NPCs are not auto-friendly, even if it does seem like they no longer spawn the bandits.
-Spawning Monsters can be interesting. You can make them friendly by clicking 'F' I think and adjust mob size. I kind of enjoy going to the bandit overrun apartment complexes and dropping a lot of horrible monsters inside, while watching invisibly.
-The Game menu has two very nice features. The first is 'Enable Achievements' if you care about that sort of thing, like if you're using the debug menu for those minor adjustments or to get out of a bullshit hole or something. The second is 'Quit Game Without Saving.' When you know a run is in the toilet or whatever and want to restart, why wait for the saving time to quit out?

EDIT: Some clarification about 'Hammerspace.'

-Using 'Hammerspace' for construction/crafting will still get you skill growth for at least vehicle modding, and I'm assuming other construction stuff, if you're worried about that.
-For doing that NPC Survivor Base stuff, Hammerspace removes *some* of the BS for it. You don't have material requirements at least. But you still need to set up the required material and food zones. You still need an NPC for it with the required skill levels. And you still need to feed that NPC. But it removes the rather large materials requirements, and removes the time requirements.

Mountain Lightning fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 2, 2021

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Sometimes your starting location is nasty, either from bad luck or sloppy map generation.

Like one time I ended up (using the ‘safe place’ scenario) in a horse farm on this little isolated chunk of land. Like I think it was supposed to be coastal but thanks to being at the edge of the map chunk the adjacent chunk was more lake. If that wasn’t bad enough, there was absolutely nothing useful there, with the added ‘fun’ of a ‘dead scientists’ spawn (with the Migo present and dangerous) and a portal with a Flaming Eye that would almost certainly blind me and/or fungus me. I saw all that and just reset, because wow.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
I wasn't aware Eyes didn't do that poo poo anymore. I usually either avoid them the second I see a portal in the area on my minimap, or only engage with something that's guaranteed to one shot them, like a fifty-cal or something.

Speaking of: assuming anyone does do an updated 'newbie guide' or whatever, I highly recommend going into the options and turning on all the Autonote options. For whatever reason most recent builds don't do that, but it's very helpful since it will allow you to pick out semi-distant things like 'Dead Scientists/Soldiers' or 'Oh gently caress there's a portal here better leave that area alone.'

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
One of the easier ways to regain focus is those random non-skill books you find. Read them until you get back up to a decent focus or top out.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Testekill posted:

So I'm trying to do the Valhallaist evacuation mission and it's bugged. I can't get any of them to follow me so I think the mission is completely hosed. Is there a way to use the debug menu to complete the mission or a way to work around it?

I think the latest experimentals fixed this, at least the changelog put it that way.

You can also brute-force it, in a way. Once you talk to them and get them 'following' you, you can push them and they won't move. Using that and 'swap positions' from the interaction menu, you can get them into a car. You only need to get them into the gate for the mission to count as successful. It's still a hassle, but it's a way around it.

Edit: at least for when it happened to me, you might get people on the roof or a second floor or wherever they spawn. If that happens, to get them down, you need to push them to an edge (window, roof, and so on), then bust up the wall until either that wall chunk collapses, they fall down, or they (possibly) move to investigate the noise.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

esquilax posted:

What exactly are these overpowered combos that let you just hold tab in the middle of a city? My last run I had a Longsword using ninjitsu and Montante which was strong but never got to that point.

edit: I'm not being a snot I'm legitimately asking to tell me what they are so I can use them

Please note, this is all before the grab changes. Last time I played was early March, so take some of this with a grain of salt.

If you want to 'Tab' your way through early-apocalypse cities, do the following. Bump strength and dex as high as you're comfortable going at Char-gen, get yourself the Street Fighting and Melee Weapon Training backgrounds however you can. You're aiming for either Eskrima or Silat for the martial art. If you picked Silat, get to (or start with) Fabrication 1, get (or start with) a knife, go find a long stick, and make a quarterstaff. With Eskrima, the early game weapon to rush is a cudgel. With both, getting a combat knife ASAP will make your life a lot easier.

Eskrima is all about rapid hits. You're going all-in on hitting something multiple times before it can react. It mostly favors knifes and tonfas, and seems a bit weak defensively as well as suffering from weapon selection. You're never going to be hitting big for damage, which makes high-armor enemies a pain. And most of the weapons are knives and small clubs. It's perfect for early game, especially if you're relying on improvised stuff, but late game starts to suffer. While you'd still want to move and use positioning, like Worm Girl said, it was still all right in the early game against regular zombies to just mow them down so long as you paid attention to your stamina and exertion. Just remember to get some distance/run if you get grabbed or start to get swarmed.

Silat, meanwhile, focuses on defending yourself against other attacks while you turn one enemy into mush. It grants an extra dodge, bonus accuracy on dodging, crit bonuses on moving, and all of its moves are about inflicting stun or much higher damage. The end goal is a bit less than 'Tab at Intersection,' because ideally you'll be moving a bit to position and target the weak spots of a horde. The big issues are that Silat is no faster than normal attacks and if you can't crit, you lose a lot of what makes the martial art good. It has a very similar weapon selection to Eskrima, but adds the quarterstaff (and Ironshod variety) as well as a few spears and polearms.

Either way. After making your selections (and possibly while doing your 'prep' to make/get weapons), make sure to build your fighting skills a bit if necessary. Find some isolated zombies or other low-grade threats and kick their asses, or face-tank attacks in the nude to build dodging, or what have you. Make sure you understand the limitations and strengths of whatever route you're doing as well.

And even if you think/know you can 'Tab' your way through, you really do want to pay attention. Stamina and Exertion are both considerations when fighting, as well as pain. You are going to be taking hits early game unless you did something like start with the 'Black Belt' profession, or otherwise just bumped your stats into the stratosphere with 'Free Buy' or whatever that chargen method is. Point being, pain and exertion can sneak up on you, and you can rapidly go from 'Ha Ha Quarterstaff Silat go BRRR' to 'why am I getting bit five times every swing I do?'

You also want to pay attention to threats and the environment. It's very easy to focus on just the horde of regular zombies (with the odd fat or cop zombie mixed in) and not pay attention to other threats. Wasps in the air, Ferals of all sorts coming out of the wood work. Hell, if you're playing 'No Hope,' you might just get unlucky and have a fight next to a bandit house, and you don't want to be trying to blender a horde while those guys are shooting at you. Similarly, you don't want to be having a fight near any building you want to loot (as even if you deal with the horde, you might've brought more into the area from the fighting noise), nor do you want to fight near any building with alarms. Nothing spoils the fun of this quite like the bots being called in, after all.

There's obviously other considerations to this older strat, such as getting a good Dodge score or some armor, but at least in my experience that's the bare-bones version. Get a martial art and street fighting, pump your physical stats as high as you are willing to go, get your weapon, then go to town. Please note, even with min-maxing your build, that it's entirely possible to make a mistake with your debuff stats (stamina, exertion, pain) or just get unlucky (Woo fighting near the Collapsed Tower, poo poo!) and lose a run even if it is going well. Truthfully, the 'Tab in Intersection' trick stopped being a guaranteed early-game strat for me sometime late last year, and became a bit dicey even before the grab upgrades.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Jawnycat posted:

That's already in there pretty much by just setting your large bag as max priority currently. When you start finding stuff shoved in random bottles and crap with that set it means your were out of space in your bag and it overflowed to wherever it could still fit.

But yeah, being able to set stuff up so your not always setting your pocket settings around the unchangeable default would be nice. Just being able to blanket set new containers as lowest priority would go a long way.

Hell, just make it so some containers (bottles, small plastic bags, small cardboard boxes) are set so you can only put things into them by the Insert command. After all, if their goal is 'realism,' then why is it my survivor is hastily pulling out a half-empty sleeve of Pop-Tarts (which was already jammed into a shirt pocket inside of a side pocket of my bag) to jam three bullets into it when I scavenge ammo?

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Can/Do the NPCs at somewhere like the Refugee Center point to or hint at where to find other “faction” camps like the Hub?

Yes. Quite a few NPCs might be able to point you directions. Mild spoilers but below I'll be listing the ones I remember.

-Old Guard Representative (Refugee Center): Sends you to check on the Exodii on the third or fourth mission.
-Smokes, Merchant (Refugee Center): Only sort of related, but sends you to check on the 'new' Tacoma Ranch after two or three missions. Asking him about the situation in the area will eventually give you a mission to check out Hub_01.
-Teamster (Refugee Center): They're in the back bay. Every few days you can ask them if they've seen something unusual out there, and you'll get a small mission to check a place out. I've seen him point out the Isherwood Farm, the Bullet/Blacksmith homestead, and the Exodii. The Teamster *will* repeat locations, and I'm not sure if you need to manually clear the missions by visiting them or using the Debug Menu to 'complete' the missions.
-Lapin (Semi-Hidden Forest Location): Kind of rare to find, but Lapin (not sure if it's a consistent name but he runs a rabbit farm and I think is a Rabbit Mutant) does ask you to check on the Isherwood Farm and gives the location.
-Rubik (Exodii Scrap Castle): Asking Rubik for work and taking the job gives you a mission to visit Hub_01.
-Signpost (Exodii Drop Pod random locations, Stone Barn locations): While not an NPC, worth mentioning is that if you examine the wooden signs at Exodii locations you'll usually get directions to their HQ.
-Lumberjack Manager (NPC Populated Lumbermill): Eventually will ask you to set up a trade agreement with the Refugee Center, and thus gives you that location. I believe a couple of other locales, such as the Scrapyard, do similar.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are more. There's quite a few factions I've heard about and that are supposedly in the game, but are rare enough that good luck finding them even with cheats. Like I know there's those Valhallist guys and know what their location is called, but even Debug map revealing and teleporting around I can never seem to find them. Similarly, there's supposedly an NPC faction hiding out in a church or something, but again, no clue.

(And that's ignoring that of course some mods add groups or static NPC locations, such as Magiclysm adding Wizard Island Towers with an NPC at the top of the tower.)

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Subways also have ATMs.

So I don’t know if it’s been mentioned here, but they added a new event out in the woods and wilderness. Go out there at night, it’ll be cool I swear. You’ll know when it happens because the game will tell you that you shiver as night comes.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Vib Rib posted:

How high should NPC spawn rate be set, anyway? For years the default was like, 0.2, and I would go months without seeing anyone.

So for most of my runs, I play with it set to 2, which is double(?) what it normally is. Combined with watching a few LPs, I think I know why you might not be seeing them.

Best that I can tell, if the game decides it is time to spawn an NPC, it places them randomly within your viewable area on the map or possibly within your reality bubble. Some are 'static' and don't move, some are going to move however they want, and a few seem to beeline towards you. And these NPCs can be anything from bandits and muggers (more common seemingly on the 'No Hope' mod, unsurprisingly) to guys busting in going 'Oh no my Mom is a zombie and also the Jabberwock, also can you give me an inhaler?' Playing with the Innawoods mod, it is very noticeable to see some guy randomly run up to my cave demanding Spurge Tea for their asthma, as well as other NPCs because unless you did something weird, Innawoods doesn't have that many zombies early on.

The problem is, if they're within your reality bubble, that means the zombies and local hostiles can see them and 'interact' with them, and if they're moving, they don't have too many problems with moving through dangerous areas. I've seen quite a few NPCs spawn while I'm raiding or trying to clear sections of a city, so they're on screen (or more likely on the map) for about a minute before the local zombies give them a boot massage, because NPCs are often bad about fighting or have some real odd equipment choices. Similarly, I've had NPCs spawn near my base who then had the misfortune to run past the local giant wasp hive or whatever nearby threat there is and get turbo-murdered that way.

(And watching Rycon's 'Innawoods' videos, the game has no problems spawning NPCs in serious danger zones, as seen with several NPCs he spotted on the map spawning near the dangerous dinosaur-zombie filled river, though that might just be because the game is unable to recognize those danger zones. Similarly, watching Worm Girl's videos, the sole NPC she found was in a cave nearby that had spiders that I believed bit the Hell out of him and her character once she got them in the reality bubble, though it's been a bit since I watched that video.)

There are other sorts of 'random' NPC, basically static with a somewhat prebuilt story, but spawned randomly into an appropriate locale. I can only think of two off-hand at this time. There's a 'Healer' NPC in Magiclysm who spawns on the second floor of Magic Shops, who has a real annoying quest where their often combat-incapable and under-armed rear end wants to tag along while you kill fifty zombies and thus usually bites it unless you know what's coming. And a few times I've encountered a barricaded restaurant with a cook hiding out in the kitchen... who come to think of it, I think Worm Girl encountered them in the LP, with Father Kelly? Either way, those NPCs are slightly more likely to survive since they're in a relatively safe space and unlikely to move... unless random luck causes them to step outside once they're in the reality bubble because the game made a noise and they investigated the Mi-Go outside making party horn noises.

(If I sound critical, I am a bit. While I like the NPCs and the NPC system, I hate the fact that I have to drop everything to go try and save these guys when they spawn, because the NPCs either don't have the skills or the gear to fight and the game saw fit to drop them within a block of a Collapsed Tower or something. I definitely get it's a hard problem to fix or balance, because if you make the NPCs more robust and able to handle the threats, that suddenly makes any hostile NPCs that much more of a threat to players. And they're already pretty bad if one randomly is bandit or prone to hostility and they spawned with a rifle or something.)

So the TL;DR version?
1. The game is probably spawning a fair amount of NPCs depending on your settings.
2. Said NPCs are probably spawning in dangerous zones or making a beeline to you, even if that involves running through a Triffid Grove or something.
3. You're not seeing those NPCs because they're dying, or they panic and try to flee the area because the game spawned them near a Fungal Tower or something.

Potential player-side solutions?
1. Check your Map more. You can see NPCs a lot of the time within your viewable area, i.e. what the game figures your character can naturally see.
2. Scout more. Even if you've gone up the radio tower with binoculars, maybe do it again. Similarly, check out places you've looted before outside of cities, like rural homes or hunting lodges. You might get surprised when you check your map up there and find out some guy moved into that rural house you looted and then ignored weeks ago.
3. Make sure any base or other place you linger at for a long while isn't in a dangerous area. Again, if an NPC is going for you, they're not exactly bright enough to notice they're wandering through the nearby ant zone you settled near for bug farming and will either flee or get demolished.
4. If you're going for an NPC or you suspect you might encounter one, carry a spare (non-firearm) weapon or at least the tools to make a basic one like a cudgel or a quarterstaff or a wooden spear. NPC equipment is a hodgepodge, and for every NPC spawned that has an M4 or a homemade pike, you'll find some moron who is wielding a pot despite it being months into the Apocalypse. And you don't want the rifle guy firing off if you found him in the city, not unless you're planning on going loud yourself.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Principles of Chemistry, Organic chemistry, and Principles of Biology.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
It's not a bad location for a few things. There's a lot of rarer costumes there that are what you'd expect: maid costumes, corsets, a few bodysuits. Even if you don't want them for playing dress-up, you can usually harvest a decent amount of leather and lycra from them. It's a consistent spawn for vibrators, candles, bullwhips, and Playboys, which could be useful enough as well. It's also not a bad pre-done safehouse if you can get inside and secure it. Doors are metal (and locked) and there are no windows. There's usually a few zombies inside though.

Otherwise, it's fairly skippable.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Discounting crafted stuff for now, because usually by the point I'm starting serious crafting I'm getting ready for stuff like sword-making:

-While it's been nerfed, the Combat Knife/National Guard Bayonet is still pretty good to use. Bleeding isn't bad to inflict on an enemy, especially if you're kiting them around instead of standing still and holding 'Tab.' You do have to either luck into finding one naturally or down a military zombie/feral, though.

-Downing a Cop or Security Guard, Feral or Zombie, has a good chance of getting you either an Expandable Baton or a PR-24(?) Baton, which isn't bad as a bludgeon in general and kicks rear end with Silat/Eskrima.

-Finding a Fire Axe is a bit uncommon unless the Fire Zombies/Trucks are particularly common in your area, but it's a solid high-strength weapon. Just keep in mind you're not doing a lot of fast attacks with this, you're doing one hit, two tops if you stun them or something, then you're moving back.

-The humble baseball bat is always a good choice for a scavenged weapon unless you're a low-strength character. It's reasonably common too: check boxes in house basements or closets and you'll probably find a couple on a residential block.

For crafted stuff early-game, I honestly prefer the Quarterstaff and the Fire-Hardened Wooden Spear over other options. Then again, I almost always try to get the points together for Silat with my characters, so that might be part of it.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
First real question, did you disable the Distraction Managers for anything, like pain, hostiles, injury? If not, then this is definitely a stumper, but even if so, there's some more questions.

Was there damage on your sheet when you died, and if so, where? It's possible you were too cold/hot.

Similarly, I think you can starve, so if you were too underweight and didn't have enough calories, that might've killed you.

Were you recently too close to Fungaloids or otherwise got spored?

Are you running any mods where in theory someone could've wandered in and hit you with spells or psychic powers? Or for that matter, No Hope having a bunch of bandits who might've just wandered in and shot you with something bad?

Last thing I can think of is if you had too much sedatives/stimulants/depressants in your system. Even drinking too much caffeine can be a giant problem. I know I've had a few deaths from my character's heart stopping because of too much painkillers or something.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Yeah I first encountered that summoner shadow while doing Innawoods, which was not very fun since in some cases you don't really have a choice about messing around at night with no real light. It also seems to kill all the plants nearby it when it summons Amalgamations, though I'm unsure if it kills crops. If so, it's even ruder once you got a farm going.

Speaking of, I wish someone would add to the Innawoods Mod a bit. Like the occasional crafting improvement they get is neat, but unless you have mods the landscape's very barren and uninteresting. I know that's the point, but I wish there was more structures or events, even if they're rare. Like the odd plane or helicopter crash (obviously modified so it isn't just a windfall of supplies), an abandoned and ruined village or cabin, something. Otherwise it's just some rare-ish standing stones, caves, plus the big monster locations like Triffid Hives or Mi-Go Camps or Fungal areas.

(Speaking of, I hate the Fungus in the base game normally, but like whatever, it's fine. In Innawoods, you really don't have any good options for dealing with them since making a molotov is basically an end-game crafting project, plus there's almost no way (if there is any way) to make anti-fungals to deal with any infection from them. So if you started anywhere near the Fungus, either you gotta pack up and move, or you restart, because otherwise the area's going to be awful inside of a month.)

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I think Innawood is for the "I want to conquer the crafting tree" folks -- people who have a part of their soul die when they find a hacksaw on a zombie or something.

For me, I kind of like the more relaxed playstyle (discounting the times where the game decides to spawn me with two to four of the big problems within spitting distance of my base, i.e. Triffids or Ants or Fungus or something from the Mods like the Krakens). Base game, you're sort of incentivized by the gameplay loop to be on the move a fair bit, either looting or dealing with the local threats or moving to accomplish a quest or heading to some bigger area. You're dealing with constant threats in numbers, but at least early on they're 'minor' threats, especially if you know how to handle the zombies or built a melee monster or something. Even if you plan to stay in the Evac Shelter or whatever your starting location is, you'll either need or will be incentivized to go out to get stuff for it. Getting tools and materials for crafting, going out to get food and get the stuff for a farm, going out to make sure a zombie horde or that nearby Fungal Tower isn't going to be a problem.

Innawoods? Barring some bad luck or Mods, the threats are either very known (spotting Triffid Groves on the map) or they're 'handleable.' You're mostly going to be fighting animals, zombie animals, and large insects 'randomly,' and even then it's going to be in less numbers than regular human zombies. Sure, more of a threat but it changes the feeling of the game. The environment is more of a concern, since you can't just go out and put on fifty pounds of clothes from the nearby houses or survive off water heaters until you can set up for long-term water purification and storage. The big threat is just keeping yourself fed and healthy, with hunting and fishing and foraging being a larger part.

Similarly, Innawoods requires the Crafting Menu and the Build Menu, whereas the base game it's very easy to ignore it or underutilize it. It might just be me, but outside of some basic weaponry (Quarterstaff, Cudgel), training, or cooking, the only crafting project I generally bother with in the main game is eventually making some Survivor or Nomad Gear. Forging weapons or armor requires often a lot of serious set-up, and while with weapons it's fine, forging or crafting decent armor takes a while. And usually the comparable stuff to leather armor or full plate is easier to acquire. Sure, I could hunt a few large animals or depopulate several stores of leather clothes to spend a while making leather armor... or I could plan, get an acetylene torch and welding goggles, and then go break into a police armory or two for kevlar gear. Sure, it's not as good as leather in terms of coverage, but it's a lot easier to acquire. Similarly, the set-up to make a good metal weapon isn't too bad (though with the anvil stuff it got worse since I can't just rip apart a car and bash one out), but early game a baseball bat or combat knife or fire axe is usually enough for my melee needs, and later-game I have guns hopefully.

(Honestly, it's my biggest personal issue with the game. I love the crafting menu and crafting in this game, but at least in the base game I just don't see the point in forging stuff up barring niche builds or maybe a weapon late game, never have the opportunity for high-level chemistry, and so on. And I'm not sure how to fix that beyond either making it easier (which is doubtful given the devs wanting 'realism') or making poo poo worse for the player (i.e. making it so everything besides raw materials is so rare that finding a hammer is a major haul.))

My Innawoods playthroughs (three now discounting early deaths like 'whoops Owlbear sniffed my cave out and killed me') have always been more interesting than my base game runs and taught me to make my own fun. The first one was just interesting from a 'Huh I actually have to figure out stone tools huh' standpoint, making me learn the neglected crafting and build menus as well as requiring foraging and farming and hunting, when usually I'd just hoover up all the non-perishable food in a town and drive off. After that, I'd come up with fun odd goals. The second playthrough was with the gimmick/justification of my character driving during a portal storm and ending up crashed somewhere else, so I had the self-imposed challenge of making a vehicle out and preparing enough stuff for the journey. The third, I debug-spawned a plane crash site, debug-killed the zombies (to represent them being dead from the plane crash only to reanimate later), and then debug-broke my legs. The goal there was also escape, but also to find where my character's family went (i.e. rescue people from a Mi-Go encampment).

Sure, I can make my own fun in the base game, but Innawoods, the temptation to fall into the usual 'gameplay loop' I have is far less. It's kind of hard to rush into a town to find the gun shop/police armory/tool store when there isn't one, and no rushing for the end-game gear when it's quite frankly impossible to make in most cases (no kevlar, for instance). I'm limited by what I can find far more than in other stuff and thus I'm always having to experiment and improvise, instead of just going 'why should I use chitin armor when I can get the Hub-01 Armor?' Instead I'm having to go 'Man I've never used bronze armor before, what's that like? Okay that's cool but I only have enough steel for one weapon, let's try this Bill-Hook.'

(That being said, again, I wish there was a bit more to do or see. Not to mention I wish some of the other bigger mods could integrate better with it. Magiclysm isn't too bad outside of there just being a lot of Goblin/Orc/Forge spawns, and at least from what I've seen Mind over Matter works fine beyond there just being a lot of Crystal Outcroppings with open portals making GBS threads out eldritch horrors and dangerous Feral Psychics. Dinosaurs and that Mega-Fauna are fine too outside of just upping the difficulty drastically due to said fauna and dinos being nasty for a melee character. But Aftershock adds the unique buildings from that in a very odd way, while Tropiclysm is worse and dots the landscape with buildings too.)

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Magiclysm, I think. Or they might be base game, it's been a while since I didn't play with at least Magiclysm on. You find them in River Caves, I think they're called, and they're blue 'O' markers on the map on riverbanks or lake banks maybe. I don't know how nasty they are personally, as the second I saw the land-walking giant octopi that make up their grunt numbers (and then saw how infested the caves were with Debug Clairvoyance) I decided to avoid them.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Pigbuster posted:

If you find an extension cord you can connect it to the solar panel and then connect the other end to the power grid/battery, and it should transfer across z levels. If the distance is too far you can extend extension cords with other ones to make it longer. Note that sometimes, mostly with old content, stairways don't have the same x,y coordinates so you sorta teleport when going up/down, which can throw off the cord's length. Shouldn't come up too often, though.

Something else to note is that while playing around with this stuff, if you remove anything from your rig (even if it's not the connecting tile to the cord), that cord will come undone and you'll have to replug it in. I believe it comes undone at the point on the solar/battery/windmill rig, so search for the cord and plug it back in up there, then go make sure your fridges or whatever are turned back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Pigbuster posted:

Hmm, that sounds like another victim of the PR that made batteries and solar panels merge together. Doing so gives very significant CPU% reductions, so it's necessary, but it causes issues elsewhere. Something I've been meaning to look into.

I've never done a proper 'bug report' sort of thing, but if it helps: in the cases I can remember, it was an outdoor extension cable plugged into a large storage battery on a roof, with the other end plugged into a standing lamp. And it always came about when I plugged in a car battery into the rig to charge up and then disconnected the car battery.

Honestly, I'm kind of glad that even in 'No Hope' mod runs, power isn't *too* big of an issue (scavenge solar arrays from roofs, and while working storage batteries are rarer you can probably find one or two easily enough). Even in 'Innawoods' runs you can get decent power going after a little while of loving around (Clay Car Batteries and Wind Turbines), which is nice for when you eventually manage to make a makeshift arc welder or vacuum sealer or something.

(Similarly, in Innawoods the Anvil adjustments aren't bad. The Bronze Anvil you can make doesn't take any serious hoops to get, has 'Anvil 3' so you can make everything worth making, and my only complaint is I can't make it or a few other things in normal gameplay.)

So doing experimenting with the latest-ish build, I found out that running 'No Hope' and 'Innawoods' at the same time puts in a fair amount of cabins and other small buildings (as well as the odd bigger thing, like the plane crashes and military helibases). Something to be wary of, though, is that if you're doing a Helicopter Crash start with both mods, the Military Helibase with No Hope now has turrets instead of searchlights. That run ended poorly, as you might guess.