Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm doing a bit of touchup work for a coworker applying for a slightly different position in our company. This was her 1st job out of college, so the previous summary of qualifications I wrote for her was 'A recent college graduate with X years in the Y fields'; now that she's been out of school for two years, she'd kind of like to get away from the recent college graduate thing, but I haven't found anything I'm really thrilled with. The job she's applying for will be a lot of working with adult learners, modifying policies, and helping to train staff; is there a different phrase I can plug in to replace recent college graduate (something like young professional, but not so boring) or should I go in a different direction with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
My brother graduated in June of last year with a Communications/Journalism degree. He's been having trouble finding work (lives in Michigan so things are especially not great) and found a position with a new library his university is opening up that he wants to apply to. He's been working at Meijer basically just in the bottle return section since August of last year and at the county library since January of this year. Should he put the Meijer stuff on the resume to show that he's been working, or would it not be necessary as it doesn't have much (other than occasional customer service) to do with the library position?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just submitted an online application for a position that would be perfect for me; however about 2 minutes after I submitted it, I got an auto-reply telling me that, based on my answer to the supplemental questions on the online app, I don't meet requirements (four+ years of supervising multiple part-time staffs as opposed to two years of a full time staff like they wanted, my undergraduate degree was not in information systems). I've already sent the contact person a well-thought-out email explaining my answers and how it wouldn't be an issue...should I have just lied and selected yes to those questions? I didn't want to lie but I definitely knew what answers they wanted, it just sucks not even getting the opportunity to interview because of something that's outweighed by all of my positive attributes and experience.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 17, 2015

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
My company is closing down which means I'm losing my job at the end of June. When I start interviewing, when is an appropriate time to tell a company that I have two days in August that I absolutely have to have off? My dad and sister are coming out to visit me (sister first time visiting) and we're going hiking out in the Rockies; the plane tickets and hotel accommodations have been booked for months.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Fil5000 posted:

As near to the end of the process as possible. Any company that has a half decent hiring process will be asking you at interview if you have any holiday days that you're committed to.

Sounds good, thank you!

Next question: applied to a job last Monday, haven't heard anything yet and my job application status is still at 'In Progress'. Is there any good way to send an email just to see what's going on and what they are expecting the timeline for interviews to be?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dik Hz posted:

If you were invited to apply or have a connection in the company, go ahead and e-mail HR or your connection to see what's up.

If you fired off a resume blindly, there's no way to do that tactfully.

Yeah it was an online application through their company job website (jobsatcu.com) The fact that my application status hasn't been moved to Denied or Cancelled means there's still hope I suppose, but I really can't think of a good way to make contact with them without coming across as impatient.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Xandu posted:

Most jobs won't get back to you at all. Emailing or calling won't help. It is what it is.

Yeah, I know..everything about trying to find a job sucks :(

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
On a job posting I'm considering applying for, current salary is a mandatory, open-ended field. I'd prefer not to list my salary as it will probably be used to peg me on the lower end of the position's pay range. Is there any creative way to get around this?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

rt_hat posted:

Can you put a range down instead? When you get to the actual negotiation process, and they try to pin you down, just say you have to take the whole compensation package in account.

They're not asking for my salary requirements, they're asking for my actual current salary, so I don't think putting a range down would make sense. Can I just lie and put what I'd like to get paid? They can't actually get my current salary from my employer, can they?

VVV edit:

Alfalfa posted:

Hey really have no legal way to check what you are actually making (do they) so put what you want to make.
I'm not a government employee so I would assume they don't, but this will be my 2nd job after graduating so I'm unfamiliar with most of how this works.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 10, 2015

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Even though I've gone by my middle name since birth (if I were named Mark Alexander Smith, for example, people would call me Alex), I've always used my legal first name with middle initial on my resume, LinkedIn profile, etc; I should continue to do this instead of using just my middle name, correct? My old boss wrote me a letter of recommendation and used my middle name instead of my proper first name which brought this up.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dik Hz posted:

Use first initial, middle name, last name. I have colleagues in your boat and they both do that. So M. Alex Smith.

Ah, I like this! That'll let me use my middle name on all the online profiles and keep the first initial on my resume for formal stuff. Thanks!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MickeyFinn posted:

Or C. Montgomery Burns.

:aaaaa: How have I never thought of this

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
This week is my first of not having a job (laid off, company is closing) and I had a really good interview yesterday with a decision expected by the end of the week. Even though they know I'm unemployed, if they call on Friday and offer me the job will I look like an rear end in a top hat if I say I'd prefer to start on the 17th as opposed to the 8th? I've got a few appointments scheduled already for next week (dentist and vision) and I honestly need a little bit of personal time to get some stuff done around the house and get ahead in the masters courses I'm taking; having those extra days would be a huge help as far as starting my new position with a totally clear head.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Odd question, maybe: I decided to convert my resume to LaTeX as an exercise and was hoping for feedback specifically on layout/aesthetics. I'm not as concerned about content right now (I'm not on the job market any time soon), but would appreciate feedback on if the organization and typesetting make sense. Are the appropriate things bolded/italicized, are the table layouts confusing, is the symbol for lists not too obtrusive (as opposed to a solid bullet), etc. Does the font just plain suck? For example, I originally had the left column of the Education tables (Honors, Coursework) in bold to match the Skills table, but it made the Education area look like a big bold blob from a distance.

Thanks for any feedback you guys have. Here's a link to view the PDF on Google Drive.

Just for aesthetics, I'd decrease the top margin a little bit to get rid of a bit of the white space. I'd also move the lines separating each section to underneath the section title and see how that looks. Finally, I'd try moving the name & address info to the left as opposed to centered and see if that looks OK; with everything else being left or right aligned, having that centered looks a bit off I think.

Dik Hz posted:

You won't look like an rear end in a top hat if you tell them you're available on the 17th. It's common to take a couple weeks off between jobs. And honestly, I think it makes you look good to say you're using your time productively even though you just got laid off.

That is good to hear, thank you! Even though we didn't talk about start dates in the interview I could tell they had been trying to fill this position for a while; I just don't want to come across as too pushy or ungrateful for the opportunity or anything.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 4, 2015

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'll give these a shot too! I know I tried the rule under the subsection title at some point and didn't think it looked great, even though most resumes seem to do it that way. I'll give it another look though. Thanks!

I tried your changes: Here's a link to view the PDF on Google Drive. I'm not sure what to think.

You're welcome! I like the revised section titles a lot, and I think if you try Xandu's recommendation to stretch the header across the page it'll look more natural.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So, my interview on Tuesday that I thought went really well said they wanted to have a decision by the end of the week. It's 4:50 now and I haven't gotten a call or email; how bad of a sign is this?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Sorry for the constant stream of questions, but I've got another one. I have to record a pre-interview using Hire Vue today; what this means is I get to sit in front of my computer and answer questions while staring at myself looking back at me from my webcam. I tried the practice question and it was one of the most uncomfortable things I've ever done; I've never had a problem with in-person interviews or phone screenings, but the fact that nobody's on the other end is really throwing me off. Does anyone have advice on stuff I can do to prep for this?

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 7, 2015

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

bamhand posted:

What if you call a friend and have them ask the questions?

I don't get the questions up front; the way it seems to be structured is I get a question, get 30 seconds to think about it, and then record my response via webcam (max of 3 minutes). Once I click Finish, it's on to the next question.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Bisty Q. posted:

Any company that uses these you probably don't want to work for.

That said, if you are insistent, the good news is that everyone else will be equally awkward. One thing that I hear helps with these is to not have the window where you can see yourself focused while you're recording. Open a blank tab and click over to that once you start recording, so that you aren't staring at yourself while you're talking. It can help with the nerves and with looking like you're not looking at the camera (which is where you should be looking most of the time. Look at the camera enabled light next to the camera and you'll be looking in about the right spot.)

Unfortunately the company in question is a well known and respected university, so I really, really do want to work for them :(

Your advice is good, though; I just put up an index card over the corner of the screen that was showing me and it helped a little bit with the weirdness factor; my answers were still terrible since the format still was really throwing me off, but not having to watch me staring back at me was helpful.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

triplexpac posted:

I once had a company string me along for over a month, saying over and over "we haven't quite made a decision yet, we need the weekend/another week/a few more days/whatever"

Turns out they hired someone else but wanted me on the hook just in case it didn't work out. Anyway, I've learned to not take interviewers at their word necessarily haha.

Hurray!

Would Wednesday be an appropriate time for a follow-up call (interview was last Tuesday)?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

triplexpac posted:

Have you done any sort of follow-up at all yet since the interview?

The day after the interview, I sent an email to the HR rep that interviewed me (it was her and the person who would be my manager) thanking her again for the opportunity to interview and the tour of the office she gave, then expanded on an answer to a question I didn't feel I fully addressed in the interview and how it would apply to the position I interviewed for. I thanked her again for the opportunity and asked her to forward my response to the potential manager (did not have any of her contact info) Didn't hear anything in response, but I wasn't expecting anything since what do you really say to that?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So, the interview I thought went really well, turns out they're going with someone else. That someone else is an 8-month pregnant coworker of mine and they are extending the start date for the position (which they mentioned in the interview they wanted to fill ASAP) to two months after her expected due date.

In all honesty said coworker is great and will do a great job, but man, what a confidence killer :smith:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Susical posted:

e: Also, they asked me the "where do you see yourself in 5 years" question - I loving hate that question. What do you goons think is a good answer that isn't generic BS?

I'd say one position above the one you're interviewing for, depending on the position. I think 5 years is a realistic time period to make a step up the ladder, if not two, and saying as such wouldn't be bad at all. If you're interviewing for a position that's considered terminal in your industry, just state that realistically it would be an end-game type of job for you. If that doesn't work or it is a terminal position, are there any professional certifications or organizations that you don't have/aren't a member of that would be realistic to achieve within that timeframe?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

C-Euro posted:

I don't know about sending a physical card though, that seem crazy.

Depending on the timeframe of the hiring process, a physical card may not even get there in time, so email is usually better for a follow-up thank you.

That being said, I've begun sending thank-you cards via USPS for interviews that went really well where I wasn't offered the position; one of the three times I've done this I was offered a different position with no interview necessary after someone else in the company left (this was 5 months later) and the other got me a great referral that led to my previous job. The third time I don't know the outcome of since I just put them in the mail on Friday. More than anything, thank you letters show you were enthusiastic about the position and the company, so don't think of them as being pushy at all.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

C-Euro posted:

Nah in my mind it's not about being pushy, it's just that a physical card seems over-the-top to me especially with a thank-you email preceding it. Then again I know some people love thank-you cards, but I think if I was really enthusiastic about a position and I didn't get it, I'd be too depressed or bitter about not getting it to want to write any sort of extra note to them, short of responding to a rejection e-mail.

Oh, sorry, the pushy comment wasn't for you, it was for the original poster who said thank you's seemed pushy. And yeah the physical card after rejection really really sucks to do, but I usually write it the day after when I've had time to get less upset about the denial.

Alder posted:

Thanks, PM sent.

Hmm---I could list my first college but not sure if I should include it since I transferred out.

Baruch is mostly business college and most of my courses reflect it. Still debating if I want to include more self-study or self-taught skills.

I wouldn't list your first college if you transferred (edit: unless you earned an Associates, then you can list it); all that really matters is where you're getting your degree from. Also, what type of bachelors is it? BA, BS, or something else?

I'd also move certifications to right below your education since they're similar in nature; have you earned your A+ (is it your A+? it just says '+') yet? if so, put the completion date, and if not, put the month/year you expect to earn it.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 15, 2015

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is it unusual to have a 'special projects/committees' section for a position on your resume? I was a member of the committee that planned company-wide events (art show, corporate bbq, etc.) and was a member of two project teams, one to implement Salesforce and another to upgrade the server that housed our document imaging system. Right now I don't have the committee on there (not sure if it'd just look like fluff) and I feel like the special projects are getting kind of lost with the rest of my standard responsibilities and I'd like them to stand out a bit more.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Susical posted:

Well, I wouldn't be leaving because I hate the job. I'd be leaving because of a really great offer elsewhere (it was in the making months ago, it's just finally coming around to a decision now). I just didn't know if they'd think, "eh, she was only here for 10 weeks, it's not that big a deal" or "wow she could have at least given us 2 weeks."

They're not going to care how much you liked the job, they're going to be irritated with having to replace you so soon. Go with a week, it'll get you out of there sooner and avoid extended awkwardness.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Busy Bee posted:

Had an interview last Friday and was told they have two additional people to interview this week on Monday and Tuesday. Told me I would hear back most likely by end of this week, if not early next week. Last Saturday (Day after my interview), the company created a new job posting for the position I applied for on LinkedIn. I thought it was odd since they informed me that they still had two additional people to interview for the position. I wonder if they are hiring multiple people for the role or if this could be a bad sign that they did not find any good candidates (me).

Also, what is the process like for companies after they complete their round of interviews. In my experience in the past, I've always heard back within 24 - 48 hours after my interview on whether they want to move forward with me. It's been almost a week now and I figured they would be sending out offers after their last candidate on Tuesday.

The company (if they're smart) will always get a formal agreement in place with their first candidate before telling everyone else they didn't get the position which means all the runners up get to sit around and wait. There could also be a situation where the person who signs off on the offer might be out of the office or they weren't sitting down to finalize their candidate list until this afternoon or tomorrow. As much as it'd be nice, most places don't extend a formal offer immediately after all the candidates have been interviewed, plus while it's been a week for you almost, for that candidate on Tuesday it's only 48 hours.

That being said, the job posting going up on LinkedIn isn't a great sign; I'd assume you didn't get it and move on, and try calling mid next week as a follow-up if you haven't heard anything.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

bikesonyx posted:

I have a lot of short term jobs that I have been fried from or quit, also a lot of places I worked were small businesses so the manager has left, or the business has closed. There are also jobs that are completely unrelated to the other. What can I do about this? I common problem I have is that I get hired and work hard, then someone gets hired to do the same job for more money. -Thanks in advance.

How short term, and what kind of job are you looking to get?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

HiroProtagonist posted:

Not saying this is wrong (because that's impossible for anyone to know really), but in a company any larger than "tiny" or "small" this probably isn't a good event to infer anything from.

Linkedin requires job postings to expire after a certain set period, up to a maximum of 30 days. This expiration may even itself vary based on the package the company purchased with Linkedin that gives them the ability to create job postings. It may very well be that they have someone assigned to automatically renew any open job requisitions when they expire without any input from a hiring manager, whose position also may have little to nothing to do with the hiring process itself.

They really don't lose anything from re-posting an open req even if they're getting down to a very short list of candidates, which is why I said it's not good to infer anything.

Yeah I probably should have made a better separation of my ideas; I was recommending moving on emotionally from the position on since it sounded like the poster was getting anxious about it and I know from recent experience how much it sucks to not hear back about a job when you're expecting to.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So uh, don't fit into my suit (last time I wore it was 3 years ago); will nice khakis & navy blazer (nice shirt & tie obviously) suffice for an in-person interview?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Just wanted to give a general 'thank you' to everyone in this thread; had a great interview today with a pretty prominent university in my area that I think went well (administrative position, not academic). There was only one question I had to ask for time to think about, and just about every question I was able to respond to with an example of how my response was able to help my job performance going forward or specifics of how it would help me for the position I was interviewing for. We reviewed salary requirements and on the way out we stopped and she showed me the office for the position I was interviewing for and where the rest of the positions were located within the office, which I'm taking as a good sign :) Two weeks or so until a final decision, which is a bit nerve-wracking (her supervisor is on vacation and the week after next she's going to be out of state at a conference).

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What are most people looking for when they ask what you want from your manager? I usually answer with some line about mutual respect and that I've had a variety of managerial styles and am comfortable with most anything but I wasn't sure if I'm looking at the question the wrong way.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone in the thread again for the advice you've given; I was offered a position today after being laid off two months ago. It's a 25% pay increase from my previous employer, I'll have the option to telecommute, and the verbal offer was given at the end of the interview, which considering this isn't an entry-level position was pretty awesome :)

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

FogHelmut posted:

Can I get a critique? I don't know if I'm being too general here. Should I get more specific? How much effort should I make to keep it in one page? I don't know how relevant those internships are.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jhTgPw11jS0cLqxeocWqpsMqZisaCPY31q9cJHtSpxg/edit?usp=sharing

I'd put everything pre-degree into a general "Additional Work Experience" section if you want to include it and it's relevant to what you're applying for. With your analyst experience I don't know that they are necessary, though; you've got nine years of non-student experience in analyst roles, I think you can safely take them off.

Regarding your formatting, your Noteable Proficiencies is way too general in my opinion and should be toward the bottom of the resume. Lead with your strengths, which is your analyst positions. Your proficiencies need to be more targeted, too; Teamwork and Communication, for example don't jump out to me as specific skills and it comes across as fluff. I don't mean that to be mean, teamwork and communication are important, but you need to be able to demonstrate how you applied that to your work. Maybe change your Notable Proficiencies section to Technical Skills and be specific about the systems and languages you use as an analyst and keep emphasizing your proficiencies in your job descriptions.

Finally, make your section headers stand out more; if it's not just Google Docs, having your section headers the same size as the sub-section headers makes it all look like one big blob. Making the headers slightly larger helps partition the resume into specific sections (Experience, Education, Skills)

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

FogHelmut posted:

Thanks for the good feedback. I think I was being very general because I was worried that people might think "well you only have experience with this system, there isn't any way possible you'd be qualified for a different one."

It gets kind frustrating. I had interviewed for a Sr HRIS Analyst role. I impressed the manager, she was introducing me to random people we passed as we were walking out of the building. But then I was later turned down because the other management I had met with decided they were going to wait for someone with specific HR experience, which I have none. They're still looking, they could have trained me by now.

Updated - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TlbRmkWfqkAOfSY0mFwI3jrk4H7euW6YUrRGQniO0Nk/edit?usp=sharing

Do you think I need any kind of objective or mission statement?

This looks a ton better, apart from the minor formatting issues in your Education section. I won't comment on job specifics as I don't have experience in the field but compared to the previous draft it's much more concise and directed. You look much more competent on paper :)

Objectives or mission statements are outdated, at least in my opinion; your mission is to find a job and your objective is to get a paid position. Some sort of a summary might not be bad, if you think the hiring managers would be looking for something like that. "A data analyst with nine years of experience in X Y and Z" could be good for an overall summary.

Skunkrocker posted:

Should I remove references from my resume?

Yes. Never put references on your resume. It's not necessary at that point in the hiring process.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

iv46vi posted:

Need some advice.

Two weeks ago I've been asked to forward my resume to a contact in a large national financial company to pass it on to the internal recruitment. Their recruiter reached out the same day by email to schedule a phone interview. Agreed time slot was past Monday, no calls. Emailed her and rescheduled for past Tuesday, again no call. What do I do now, just keep bugging her or take a hint and forget about it? I could reach out to my contact but not sure if questioning their recruitment will improve my chances for hire.

This seems like a pretty huge red flag to me. I wouldn't ever want to work for a company that made the worst first and second impressions possible. My opinion would be to forget about it.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What exactly constitues a non-compete? My potential employment contract includes a sentence stating "In the event that you terminate your employment with the Company, you will be precluded from competing with the Company for a period of one year." I'm in the higher education industry, would that mean I can't take another job in higher education if I decide to go somewhere else? I'm not in any sort of recruiting position and would never be in a position to take business from the company in any realistic future position.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

FogHelmut posted:

Should I lie about my current salary? I feel like I'm paid normally for where I live and what I'm expected to do. But salaries a quite a bit higher in the region I am applying. Are the thinking I'm not making enough and am therefore bad?

You might just not be getting paid enough either. I was always of the opinion that what I was making in my first few positions was fine but in most instances it was pretty well below market value. Check salaries in regions similar to your current region (but obviously not the region you're applying) and see what it looks like on a broader basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I took a job 3 months ago and in our company check-in meeting today, it was all but explicitly stated that my department is going to get the axe. What's the best way to explain this in interviews if I'm interviewing before that happens?

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 15, 2015