Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

movax posted:

Hmm, this is for an entirely new job, not my current one. Looking back at it, that is pretty insane, I think I will reword using "cost of living bump" or something like that, and see what they come back with.

If you haven't yet, then you should absolutely not tell them how much you currently make and thus the percent increase would be irrelevant and you should ask for more than you want since there is very little to no downside for doing so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Xenoborg posted:

Bit a weird question, mostly to humor my dad so he stops asking about it:
I'm applying to the US Air Force. 6 months ago I had 8 people write me recommendations (they had to be specifically for the USAF, couldn't use my general ones). Now in the next month the Air Force is reviewing all their applicants and making decisions. My dad wants me to contact the AF and ask them when references get contacted and that I should warn them. I personally think this is a crazy idea that no good can come from, but I don't know maybe its normal. The references are all people I know well so its not like they would be at a loss from a call out of the blue about me. I'm thinking about just lying to my dad and saying I warned them since he keeps asking about it.

Do the eight people know they could be contacted? If not, I would probably give them a heads up otherwise don't worry about it.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Do you need to take the job? The only way I can see for you to spin this without looking like an idiot is to have some explanation that the low end of your range was with better benefits than the company offers. The issue here is that you will probably have to state what benefits you 'want' and attempt to negotiate from there. I don't really think there is a way to just backtrack the number without looking like an idiot and if you're negotiating with your potential manager then that seems like a pretty bad way to start.

As generic advice, if at all possible you should avoid answering salary questions. The only possible advantage for you as a potential employee is to save time interviewing if your number is ridiculously higher than what the company wants to pay. On the other hand the disadvantage is huge, you could easily cut 10% or more off your starting salary which then compounds since most raises are percent based. If you absolutely have to give a number, the either don't give a range, and shoot high, or give a range and explain why your giving a range, I.e. You want x benefits if they pay the low end of your range.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Unless otherwise stated I would wear slacks and since you mentioned that they might get dirty I'd pack an extra pair that you could switch into after the first interview if required. Is the issue with packing that they might get wrinkled? I'd just fold them once in the suitcase and quickly iron the fold out in the morning as it should only take a couple minutes.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Xeom posted:

I live in south Florida, and I am being flown out for a interview in Michigan where it will probably be around 45-55 degrees Fahrenheit. Right now I only have my suit, and I am wondering what else can I wear to fight the cold. The suit was put together in south Florida, so its mostly cotton. Would a cardigan over my dress shirt be appropriate?

This is for a engineering position with lots of old dudes, so I must keep it as conservative as possible.

I could also just wear another jacket till I get to the building and just walk in with my suit.

Are you planning on hiking somewhere? The walk from your hotel to your car and then from the car to the building should be a couple of minutes, not long enough to be uncomfortable in a suit. If that's unacceptable, the conservative option would be to wear an overcoat, less conservative would be a sweater.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Who is your contact for the position? If you've been talking to HR, then there's no problem following up, but you don't want to cut out your manager unless they've said its ok.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Unless specifically stated you should be dressing above the norm for the job when going to an interview so I'd highly recommend going with the suit and tie. I would avoid any mention of your previous salary unless you need to anchor the discussion at it. As always mentioned try to avoid being the first to give a number, and it generally strengthens your argument if you can state what makes you worth more. Having someone working there can be helpful for this as they can probably find out what the job actually entails compared to the postings which generally have a ton of requirements tossed on them that are irrelevant.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Don't ask until a company actually asks you to provide references. Other than that your only option is to find different references.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
How does the second sentence conflict? They're basically saying wear chinos and a dress shirt with optional jacket and/or tie.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
You may not be able to extend your last day at work using vacation. I know that my company pays out vacation, but you cannot extend the date you leave using it as you have to work your last day. I'd also be skeptical that you would get it if the 31st is in your two week notice period though that is management dependent.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

xxEightxx posted:

Couple of questions about a resume. One, when they ask about salary history, should I include that in the resume or a cover letter? It makes me nervous to put a number down, since salary is a combination of a whole bunch of things, the bimonthly money is just (a large) portion of it). Second, I worked for an employer for 3 months about four years ago, I want to include this on my resume for the sake of accuracy and completeness, but I didn't have the tenure there to accomplish anything worth writing about, curious how you think I should handle it (I was not fired or anything, I was hired for a better job)

Avoid putting salary down if possible. I'd also leave off the 3 month job as it doesn't showcase anything about you and the point of a resume is not completeness.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
There is pretty much no upside to saying something bad about your previous company, and/or anyone in it, and there is potentially large downside if the interviewer doesn't agree. I'd be curious of what other people think of saying that you moved because of your spouse. May be over thinking it, but it could be taken that you're potentially less reliable in the long term because you put their job above your own.

asur fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 7, 2015

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Ask the website to takedown the article or edit it to remove your name.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
If you actually want the questions answered then you should ask them. If you don't care and they were just filler the don't.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Baudolino posted:

I have tougth a lot about this lately. I have often heard that by asking questions you portray yourself as someone who is more interested and engaged then someone who does not. On numerous occasions i have asked various questions that i did not really care about just to have something to ask about. If i don`t do this the interviews tend to be a lot quicker than planned ( which is usually a bad sign). Last Friday i attended a interview which i felt went really well. Good personal chemistry, a case that i completely aced and some well tougth out answers from me. But i only asked one or two questions myself and the whole affair was over 20 minutes ahead of schedule ( 1,10 hours instead of 1,5 hours). I was also kinda vague on the salary question now that i think about, they migth think my demands were a bit higher than what they really are. All in all i decided that i would go with the flow and focus on being relaxed rather than being super inquisitive. I hope it pays off.

I would always recommend that you have one or two questions since unless they run out of time they'll ask if you have any. The above was more specifically if they say you can email them questions, in which case I don't really think it matters if you ask and thus shouldn't if you don't care.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

C-Euro posted:

I accepted a job offer last Thursday, at which point the HR woman making the offer said they would be performing a background & references check on me (on which the offer was contingent), and mailing me an onboarding packet with stuff like a direct deposit form, I-9, and the like. It's now Monday and I haven't heard or received anything from them (mail comes to my place super-early in the day), would it be appropriate to call and ask what's up or should I give it another day?

I'd wait till Wednesday unless there was something specifically said or you start earlier. They probably mailed it Friday and may not have shipped it overnight.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Have they asked for references? I think it's pretty unlikely that they even will as you have the only reference that matters. If they do ask, then ask your friend.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Just ask your contact at the company what appropriate attire is.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Pertplus posted:

So I'm trying to get a summer internship. I interviewed at company A on Monday (2/8), and they told me exactly what I'd be doing there and it seems awesome. I think the interview went pretty well and they told me they'd come back with a decision within the next few weeks (So by 2/26?). In the meantime I was offered(?) an internship at company B Yesterday (2/11). I'd definitely take it if I didn't get an offer from company A but on the other hand would much prefer to work at A than B.

What actually happened with B is they asked if I'm interested in position 1 or 2, and I said 1. Then they said they hired someone else for 1 and "However, if you change your mind about the other position, please let me know." (I assume this is an offer but I really don't know, maybe they just want to know if I'd like to be in the running?). What should I say to company B? is this a reasonable email to send?

I'm in a masters program and will graduate next year. I haven't had an internship yet. I would much rather work for company A; the position would look a lot better on my resume and is more relevant to my studies. But I really need to get an internship this summer because it's my last one.

Email B saying that you interested in position 2. If B gives you an offer, then ask for time to consider it and email A saying that you have a competing offer but would like to work there and can they make a decision.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

poeticoddity posted:

I was asked about expected salary in a preliminary phone interview today. I basically said, "I'd have to take the total compensation package into consideration. I recognize that while I am well educated, I'm a recent graduate and that's taken into consideration, and at the same time I assume that if you're specifically looking for a PhD you're not going to make an insulting offer. There's more that goes into making a job rewarding than just the pay," and that seemed to successfully get the mater dropped. Should I have handled that differently? (I had insomnia last night and that was the best I could manage on 2 hours of sleep.)

Also, any suggestions for when an interviewer asks you if you have any questions and they don't have an answer to your question? I didn't press the matter once I realized this person didn't have the information I wanted (it was related to the company's patents, so I should have probably recognized that in retrospect), but I've never had that happen before and I'm not sure if I should be worried.

Asking a question an interviewer can't answer isn't an issue unless you're trying to be a dick about it. If you want an answer, I'd just ask if they can get back to you about it or if there is someone else you could ask.

Ezekiel_980 posted:

I was about to ask this same question, i had a preliminary interview today and said i would "need to evaluate the entire compensation package to give a number." they said it was cool for now but in a subsequent interview we would have to discuss it again. i am debating saying "i checked and based on research from some websites i feel that any increase in pay would be adequate compared to my current position"

Do not say that. Keep trying to deflect and if you can't then give a number that you'd be happy with. You do not want to tie the pay for the new job to your old job and you want to give a specific number, not a range. I'd definitely keep asking about benefits and get all the information you can there as that can have a big impact.

asur fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 15, 2016

asur
Dec 28, 2012

HondaCivet posted:

A quick question . . . How long do you have before you can't really use experience from school anymore? I've been looking at some positions that fit some jobs and internships I had during school, but I graduated over 5 years ago. If I can include those things, can I include them with my regular job experience in the "Work Experience" section or should I separate it somehow?

If, like you said, they were jobs or internships then they belong in the work experience section. The dates you put down will make it clear to anyone looking that you held them while in school. You don't mention it, but if instead it's work from a class I would put it in a different section.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

BadSamaritan posted:

Does anyone have suggestions on how to deal with people who are taking a while to fill out those online reference forms during the hiring process? I'm *this* close to a great new job, but I'm waiting on one more reference so HR will extend the initial offer from the hiring manager.

I don't want to use my current managers due to politics, and the two I'm waiting on are a couple states away. How often can I bug them politely remind them about getting it done? Their office is very busy, so I get that it's low on the priority list but I really don't want to mess this up.

How long does HR mind waiting for these sorts of things? It'll be one week this Friday, which is probably not crazy- I'm just pretty impatient because I'm super excited about the opportunity and feel I need to adjust my expectations. I've cared way less about my previous job offers so this process was more of a 'ok whenever you finish it' sort of thing.

If you can't call up a reference and ask them hurry the gently caress up because the new company is waiting on it then they probably shouldn't be a reference.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

HOG ILLUSTRATIONS posted:

One final request for help: here's the summary I put at the top of my resume instead of relevant coursework. The thing I'm not 100% on is describing myself as entry level, but it is accurate and I feel it gives prospective employers/recruiters a sense of what type of position I'm looking for

"Entry-level electrical engineer with project experience in firmware design, digital electronics design, PCB layout, schematic capture, and board-level debugging. Two years of real-world experience as a field service engineer, where I have solved challenging problems in high-pressure manufacturing environments."

I don't agree with putting a summary as the points in the summary should be in the resume under other sections, but if you're going to have one then you should tailor it specifically to each job as a way to highlight skills and technologies that the job posting required.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

Is there any sort of rule for what to put in an email when sending in a cover letter and resume? I usually just put in a few sentences saying I'd like to apply for the position, list a couple areas of strength, and put in a thank you, how to contact me and that I look forward to hearing from them but I'm not really sure if that's too much/enough.

I would just make the email my cover letter and also attach it in case they want to pass it on.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

momtartin posted:

I had a 2nd interview today with a company, but I don't have the guys e-mail who I interviewed with, as it's all been organized through HR. I want to send a follow up thank you note, so would it be okay to ask HR to pass it along to the guy, or just tell HR that "hey thanks for the interview with so and so, etc"?

I don't think anyone cares about a thank you follow up, but you can either ask HR for his email or ask them to pass it along.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

signalnoise posted:

What the gently caress kind of interviewing takes 6 hours? I am scheduled for 9am-3pm at this place I MIGHT JUST GET A JOB AT next Tuesday. What am I in for here?

Isn't six hours normal? That's five interviews and lunch.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
If it backfires on you, then you dodged a bullet. Think about it, if a company isn't even willing to say no then what do you think they'll do for raises and promotions.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Vulture Culture posted:

There is one circumstance where this can bite you without it necessarily being a red flag about the company or hiring manager. That's where the company has you and another candidate in consideration, and you're making plays that delay a decision while the other candidate isn't. Assuming relatively even footing, the company generally won't risk losing the second candidate to another offer while they haggle with you to a number you may or may not accept.

How do they know the other candidate isn't going to also negotiate? If a company is making two offers for the same position that's not a company I want to work for.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Philip Rivers posted:

How big of a negative is it to time out on a coding question during an interview? I figured out the problem out loud and the interviewer gave me a kind of oblique "well I got to see how you problem solve" at the end, but I'm still worried since I'm not from a CS background and the interviewer seemed pretty skeptical about my coding experience.

Also, is it appropriate to send a thank you over LinkedIn? Mine still needs polish but I couldn't find my interviewer's email address anywhere and forgot to ask.

Time out as in nothing or most of the way there? I think by most standards if you don't have the easy solution finished or almost there then you're done..

Yes, it's ok to send it over LinkedIn. You can also ask HR or the recruiter for the persons email.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I wouldn't take away anything based on response time. Just stay cautiously optimistic and bug the recruiter if they don't respond when they said they would.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So I just got off the phone with a company willing to hire me, which is nice and exciting and all that, but I'm kind of concerned. The offer they made was 30k a year, which isn't a particularly good improvement to my 27.5k a year that I currently make, which they know. They also are aware of the fact that my current employer is downsizing at the end of the year, and that I'll be out of a job in two months time either way.

The sticking point is, my current job is a five minute walk from my apartment, whereas the new one is a one and a half hour drive across state lines and toll roads. In addition to the fact that I'll likely move closer once my lease is up, and rent in the area is about 30-40% higher than where I'm currently living, I'm hesitant to accept the offer.

So they know they've got me in a place where making a counter offer is tough, but I don't know if I can make ends meet with the daily travel time and all that. Is this something I should bring up, or just be happy for what I've got?

If you are willing to walk or are willing to take on a slight risk that they pull the offer, you should negotiate for what you actually want. In general not only is the chance of a company pulling their offer low, but you don't want to work at a place that does this. After saying that, you appear to be in the unfortunate position of not having another offer or a job so you need to weigh the risk.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

AARO posted:

I have an interview today with D. I don't really want the job at D. I want jobs A, B, or C. But A, B, and C wont be able to interview for ~ a month.

If somehow, however unlikely, D offers me the job today, how do I string them along for a month so I can find out about A, B or C? Do I have to except the job with D and then just flake out on them in a month if I get hired for one of the better positions? Is that totally unethical and I should just cancel the interview today with D? Or should I just ask D for $$$?

e: Actually this is really simple. I obviously just ask D for everything I want and don't except anything less.

Ask for everything you want and if you get a better offer then quit. Companies have no issue laying people off or terminating job offers if conditions change. You should do the same.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Kilroy posted:

QQ about something in the OP:

Do we think this includes year of graduation from university? That gets you your age within a year or so 95% of the time.

I don't think there's an issue removing it if you're older and you graduated a long time ago, but in most cases your job history can be used to infer your age. Just make sure that the formatting doesn't look weird because everything else will probably include a date range.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Azuth0667 posted:

I have some experience I want to put on my resume from a lab I worked in but, the lab has been taken over by someone else and the former PI left the country. The experience is incredibly relevant to the job I'm applying for however, I've tried for the last month to get in contact with the former PI without success. Whats the best way to go about including something like this in my resume?

Just put it on your resume. Why do you need to contact anyone? If you want a reference from the former PI then you'd need to be able to provide contact information, but otherwise you just put the company on your resume as normal.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

RabbitMage posted:

How early is too early to apply for jobs? Due to finishing school and a wedding (mine) immediately after, I'm not going to be available until the end of May. Outside of summer seasonal positions, is there any point in applying for openings this early in the year? I'm mostly looking at education positions in zoos and aquariums.

This May? It's definitely not too early as some companies start hiring upcoming graduates in the fall quarter. Anyone hiring for a new graduate position will expect to have to wait till summer for you to start.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Subyng posted:

Wouldn't that come off as disingenuous?

You had personal commitments come up that you didn't know about when you first told them a starting date. You also say you'd prefer to start in three months which would indicate that it's negotiable.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
It's been less than a business day?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Busy Bee posted:

Recently finished a pretty significant round of interview process via phone and Skype. I'm confident that I did well and I would be pretty surprised if I didn't get the position but I know to never get your hopes up in this type of situation.

So what do I do now? Just patiently wait or should I sent a recruiter an email? What do you guys recommend? I've been told by some people to send a follow up email to the recruiter with a brief "thank you" to the the recruiter / the people who interviewed me but have also heard to not do it and that if they see me as a qualified candidate they would get back to me.

Do whatever you want as long as you aren't pestering anyone. No one is going to not hire a qualified candidate because they did or didn't send a thank you note. If they didn't give you a date they'd make a decision by then you can ask them that.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Mr Newsman posted:

Timelines etiquette and general "should I" question:

I just received confirmation that an offer for a job that I've interviewed is being generated (yay!) from company A. We discussed the offer and I expressed my interest in the position, but haven't verbally committed or really anything outside of "I'm really excited for it and would like some time to consider it". Take home is significantly more for me (17k/yr), but would require a base of 10 more hours per week and more travel. Ultimately the hourly rate would probably be similar between my current position and the new one.

Then the wrench comes in - I was on the phone with company B that is very interested in me for a similar position. The in-person interview for this wouldn't be until mid-may but based on the general package that was indicated in the phone interview it would be a much better offer in many other aspects (significant car stipend, training and development opportunities, remote work/clients in my area, more PTO and holidays).

So my question is - how long can I string the first company along? Certainly if the offer came without any other options I'd take it. The more that I am comparing A to B, the less attractive it seems. My plan is to tell company A that I am interested in their offer but I want to finish up with some other opportunities that are on the table before making my final decision, which would be mid-late May. If company A rescinds their offer, it wouldn't be the end of the world simply because I am currently (semi-happily) employed and the worst case scenario is I just keep my current job. I know that I'm really promoting company B here but the base benefits really are that much better and I think I'd be much happier there long term - but I don't have any guarantee they'll give me an offer after the interview.

Thoughts?

PS. Company B knows I'm getting an offer from A and offered to try and expedite things too much but I don't want to be too demanding.

Why are you willing to play hardball with a company that is about to give you an offer but are unwilling to do so for a company that hasn't? Tell company B that you expect an offer from A and need to hurry their process along. When you get an offer from A reiterate if they haven't moved your interview forward. I assume you plan on negotiating with company A. That will buy you sometime, maybe a week. After that you're pushing it if you ask for more than a week, maybe two to decide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Unknownmass posted:

Yes, I sent each of them a thank you email the day after the interview. Just seems odd that they would not send me any kind of rejection or thank you email. Back to the grind I guess.

Call or email the point of contact on Monday. It's not rude to ask for a follow up a week or so after the interview of you haven't heard anything.