Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Tosk posted:

I'm younger than most people ITT and got my undergrad recently, in an an area I don't intend to pursue (did my thesis in bioinformatics). I've been doing courses for my university's computer engineering program to acquire more solid skills because I definitely would rather work outside academia (so I have some limited experience from a few Python projects and coursework I've done with R, C++ etc but nothing major). My current job and what I've been doing while I finished my undergrad is totally unrelated to IT, and I would like to get an entry level position doing literally anything more relevant while I continue my schooling. (I posted in yospos about this awhile ago and got some great advice but I wasn't prepared to actually look for a job at that point)

So in a situation like this where I want to put together my first resume for even a basic entry level job and my only relevant experience is from coursework and a few projects, how should I structure my CV? (also any other recommendations)
First off, you need a resume and not a cv. You should reorder your experiences to match the job posting for each job you’re serious about applying for.

If it’s a generic corporate posting, lead with your experience working a job. If it’s a tech start-up talking about specific technology, lead with your closest projects. If it’s an entry level posting listing coursework requirements, lead with your degree and education.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Your posting probably sucks.

Also, I’m reading between the lines here, but you seem to be asking a lot. You want someone who will work independently for a small business and deal with finances and such. You also seem preoccupied with your risk and the potential negative impact to your business. This may be coming across to your candidates.

The burden of risk in a lovely job is disproportionally born by the candidate, not the business. When you focus only on your risk in the hiring process, you communicate something about what type of boss you will be. A lot of good candidates are wary of small business owners and will be quick to write you and the job off if they perceive bad vibes.

I’d go ahead and interview the candidate. But I’d also take a hard look at the posting to make sure you’re not coming across as overly demanding and repost. If you’re concerned about your current employee who is overworked, involve them in the decision so they can see the situation more clearly.

Also, proactively take work off their plate so they don’t burn out and leave you truly hosed. This is your job as a manager and you’re currently failing at it.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 29, 2023

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Are you listing the compensation in the posting?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Keisari posted:

No, and this is normal in my country. I can probably get more applications in a pinch by expanding how much the job posting is visible, but I'm mostly wondering if I hire a candidate that seems good after one interview if I'm making some big mistake. Like if I am not getting enough of a reference point and will easily make a bad call.

Now that I have pondered on this, I'm probably overthinking this. Most people want to do an all right job, and an all right job is enough for us.
Not listing compensation is normal here in the US too but it’s the single easiest way to get 10x as many candidates.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Keisari posted:

This is true. I'll chalk it up to inexperience, getting hung up on details that don't matter.

I don’t want to come across as too much of an rear end in a top hat so my apologies if this sounds harsh.

But best practice is to determine how candidates will be evaluated before posting the job. Because that will likely influence how you write the job posting and where and how you post it. It also forces you to think ahead of time about what skills are essential, which are nice to have, and which are irrelevant.

If you don’t do that until after you’ve read a resume or conducted an interview, you risk post-hoc confirming first impression biases rather than fairly evaluating candidates. Which results in poor hiring practices.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Arquinsiel posted:

I've got an interviewing from the other side question, based on feedback from an interview my company held this morning. Is reading prepared answers to expected questions from a script a recommended strategy in Hong Kong? I've found one result in English which suggests it is but since I don't speak any variety of Chinese I can't really dig into those sources. Given that the candidate's technical skills are fine for the role he's applying for it's such an odd thing to do that either he is really not confident in his English skills or someone told him that this is the way to interview back home and it doesn't transfer at all.
It’s poo poo technique by the interviewers. Ask probing follow up questions to get him off his script.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

George H.W. oval office posted:

My resume has the city, state of where I work. Does this typically change for remote workers? The company is based out of Maryland, I live in Texas and work 100% remotely. Do people just keep where they live or do they put remote? I suppose either works I'm just curious what others do
Do whichever will benefit your application. It doesn’t really matter.

If you’re applying to jobs in the DMV, leave it as Maryland. If you’re applying for remote jobs, put it as remote. If you’re applying to TX jobs, put your TX location in parentheses. As in “Jobstown, MD (remotely based in Jobsville, TX)”

Don’t lie if someone asks though.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Beefeater1980 posted:

Moved from negotiation thread coz I think it belongs here instead:

I have a final round interview with HR coming up shortly for a role at a new company. I have already met all the relevant business stakeholders.

I am unsure what this will involve as in the past the HR interview has always come at the start of the process as a screening measure: is this just another name for the meeting to negotiate an offer, or are there substantive questions I should expect from an HR director? Tech company, international role but likely they’ll expect me to relocate to one of the usual US tech hubs after the first year.

It just feels really weird to me to see HR after everyone who will have interact with me has already gone “yup, ok.” But from googling it seems a lot of places do this?
I’ve had this sort of thing so they could walk through benefits ahead of an incoming written offer.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

melon cat posted:

No lie the interviews I've done best at are the ones where I really, truly did not give a gently caress whether I got the job or not.

Does anyone even know what those letters mean
Removed for Irradiating Fish.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

ihatepants posted:

Edit: Also as a side question, what should I be wearing if I was told that the office has a casual dress code and that I should wear something comfortable and presentable?
Slacks, closed toe leather shoes, and something with a collar.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

You say that like PhD resumes aren’t just as bad.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Communication takes work, ideally by both the communicator and the listener. Most people are lazy as gently caress and think that they aren't the problem in a miscommunication. i.e. "I gave him information he needed; its not my fault if he didn't listen." "I have no idea what she's going on about; it must not be important if she can't communicate it clearly." Both of these people will unironically put "communication skills" on their resumes.

There's also attribution bias at work. "If things go well, it's because I made them work out. If things go poorly, it's because other people hosed up." Applies to communications too.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Don't overthink it.

"After an extensive RIF, I was asked to stick around in an individual contributor role. I'd prefer to be leading a team."

This kind of thing isn't uncommon and nobody will bat an eye at it.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Asking for references up front is the norm for academia and bleeds over to the real world of you put phds in charge of hiring.

In reality that’s a lovely thing to do because your best candidates will be managing their references and they won’t like having to do that in advance of an interview.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

It doesn’t matter how ATS friendly your resume is, they’re still going to make you copy paste it into 100 different text boxes as part of the application.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Everywhere I applied recently took a pdf and then made me copy paste it into text boxes.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Lockback posted:

So if you can tie those kinds of skills to the new job, it's valuable. Highlight that. But don't waste space on covering irrelevant ground or explaining things that don't need explaining.
I agree with this sentiment. At the very least your resume can convey that you can communicate effectively. It does this by being concise with relevant information and by not puffing up irrelevant bullshit.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Friend posted:

Is there a consensus on two-column resumes? I switched over to this style several years ago and I like the look of it, and the application auto-filler bots handle it about as well as a normal resume, but as part of my second-to-last layoff I got a service to help with my job search and my personal coach was like "ugh no just make it normal"

Here it is antonymized:

It’s fine but I’m not reading the left column ever. So I’m kinda wondering why include it at all.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

melon cat posted:

Is there any benefit to including a bullet point for each employer in my resume stating what the company does? Like “This company makes these specialized widgets for the defence industry”? Asking because the last few places I worked have very little web presence and their company names have confused interviewers about the nature of their business.
Yeah. Just make sure it fits on one line.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Chainclaw posted:

Yeah, not going to try, then.

That's too bad, because it's a company my partner would really want to work at, and I'm looking at out of several options. This would be the thing that would easily push me to pick this company over any other, which is why I wondered if there was a way to bring it up.
Are you married to this person?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Chriswizard posted:

My partner just had this exact experience, except for a job with a major county government. We both agree that we hope that this does not become a trend, as it is is significantly harder and more time consuming than a traditional interview.
Yeah, this trend is garbage. To a good candidate, an interview is a two-way thing. Changing it to a one-way evaluation will cost them a portion of their best candidates.

If anyone has done this type of process from the hiring side of things, I’d really like to hear their perspective on this.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Maybe I’m terribly old fashioned, but I’d have some side-eye for someone asking me to hire their partner who they can’t even commit to marriage with.

I know I’ll catch some what for that opinion, but whatever.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

teen witch posted:

I put my requested salary 15% lower than average* for the position just go look for interns if you’re going to be a skinflint

*still far more than I make now

I do respect the immediate response
Don’t do that. If the average is $100k, ask for $105k. Asking for $85k will make the hiring manager think that you’re below average competency. And even if you get hired, that bias will persist.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

teen witch posted:

to be fair I have other biases working against me, but nonetheless, thank you. I figured I was being too cocky for asking for more.

I wasn’t able to negotiate my salary with my current position, and I’ve never once been taught how to negotiate a salary, but I’ve also never been at that point. My workplace doesn’t even have a union agreement, you can just join but that means that yearly salary discussions kinda just don’t *happen*. Shame, because the union itself is fairly toothless.

I guess this is the wisest place to ask: better if I connect my LinkedIn to job applications or have it totally disconnected? I kind of feel like seeing how I look could be working against me, and I’ve already dodged the CV photo situation by just not doing it, and that seems to be the norm now. I have a regular normal photo on LinkedIn but I still feel like it’s working against me…but not having an image also looks suspect.
In the US, nobody cares if you have a pic on LinkedIn or not. Not sure about other places. It doesn’t matter if you connect your LinkedIn or not; assume anyone interested in hiring you will look it up. Your application and resume contain enough info to easily find it.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Red posted:

I got a "more details by the end of the week" call, explaining things are hung up because people are on Spring Break, so I guess that's a good sign.

And final round with HR is more of a 'culture' interview.

Edit: I am totally writing down answers to all of these: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/last-hurdle-how-interview-hr-james-manders/
Don’t get interview tips from HR people. Anyone who tells you to tell interviewers your current or previous salary should be dismissed entirely.

This advice column is a list of poo poo that makes his life easier and not necessarily what’s in the candidate’a best interests.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

teen witch posted:

Question - when asked, how do you respond?
“I’m not permitted to say”
“$company views their compensation structure as proprietary information.”
“Well, there’s a reason I’m leaving.”
“Before I answer that, may I ask what you have budgeted for this role?”
“I’d rather not say.”
“That’s not particularly relevant to this conversation.”

It’s OK to be a bit rude in answering, given that it’s a rude question to ask. If someone gives you poo poo for not answering, they’re telling you about themselves.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Red posted:

Usually, I'd agree, except the recruiter from this company specifically went into detail about this stuff in the initial screening. I wouldn't put it past any HR interviewer to circle back to this stuff.
What stuff specifically? Did an HR recruiter refer you to a column written by an HR person?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

My issue is that it’s written from a weird perspective. In a typical corporate hiring process, the HR interview is there to give an overview of benefits and corporate culture to the candidate, as well as look for issues the hiring manager might have missed. It’s not really a screening interview because the HR person typically isn’t a decision maker on hiring.

It’s somewhat misleading to candidates, in my opinion, to suggest that an HR person is going to aggressively screen based on the questions in that column.

The column is also written in a very one-sided way. Hiring good candidates is a two-way conversation, now more than ever. And that column has a very 2009 feeling to it.

I’m probably reading too much into though. Just my opinion.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Seventh Arrow posted:

The thing I hate is smashing all the non-technical parts of the interview, but then for the technical interview/coding test you get an aggressive turbonerd who seems to treat you like some sort of threat. So even if his manager thinks you're great, the interview gets deep sixed because you didn't do a SQL window function to his liking.

If the manager lets that happen, they’re a poo poo manager, imo.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Seventh Arrow posted:

If I'm applying at a place where I worked before (and I left on good terms), how much would it rocket me past the competition if I could get a bunch of glowing reviews from the people I used to work with? Employees who are still at the company, including people in similar roles and also managers .

I know every hiring manager is different, but just roll with it for the sake of argument.

It depends on the internal politics of the specific role and people involved.

It’s not a good sign that you don’t already know.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Seventh Arrow posted:

Do you mean in the sense of 'it should be obvious that recommendations help the hiring process'?

If so, you're probably right but being unemployed has a way of making a person frazzled.

Or do you mean in the sense of 'if the environment there is so politically turbulent that a recommendation could either boost or tank your application, depending'? Then I don't think that's the case.
The latter, but not quite as dramatically as you suggest.

I mean it’s so highly dependent on the specific situation and people and politics than you’d be the best person to ask about it.

I meant that it’s a not a great sign when the person who knows the situation the best (you) is asking in a general way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Recruiters will always try to convince you you’re overpaid because it makes you easier to place if you’re willing to take less money.

I’d disregard their input, imo.