Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Grundulum posted:

Question about Pact: are there rules about exposing non-practitioners to magic? 'Cause Duncan's little stunt seems to have potentially exposed a shitton of people to a very obvious ritual, unless I misread the chapter. Aside from the whole "day resets so they don't remember" thing. Such a cop-out.

Yes. If they are exposed to the reality of the world and something happens to them you are explicitly on the hook. Presumably if they freak out and start burning witches your karma suffers then too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Y'all need to read the latest chapter. :allears:

The darkness demon is goddamn fantastic.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Rose is a Tattletale lite, much more bearable but a lot less badass.

In fact I think Rose is my least liked character in Pact by far. Hell, Blake is not my favorite either, but Rose is just annoying.

I think my favorite character right now is either Evan or Fell.

Your first two statements are objectively wrong, but Fell's great.

One of my favorite chapters, though, has to be the awakening of Blake's cabal. Wonder if they'll all make it out alive from this whole debacle - we pretty much have a sample size of one Wildbow work on his/her/its tendency to kill off members of Team Protagonist. (Although Peer murdered my favorite character at the end of the sample :argh:)

Edit: Like, look at poo poo from Rose's perspective. With the exception of her awakening attempt (and that was a fantastic couple of scenes for character development), all of her complaints are about Blake being an impulsive rear end and cutting her out of the decision loop. He had good reasons to want to move fast, but her concerns are extremely fair.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 8, 2014

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Rose is now offering constructive advice and useful suggestions again. Well, a useful suggestion. A potentially contest-winning suggestion, in fact. :colbert:

I don't really argue that she's a strong character, because she's flawed in a lot of the same ways Blake is and reacts very badly to her enforced vulnerability, but she's one I totally understand.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

For one, a second demon gives them resources outside of the five champions (and resources Conquest might not be expecting, depending how seriously he's taking Blake's resistance to diabolism). For another, both Pauz and the Hyena - who isn't really a demon, unless we're going with fuzzy boundaries - are pretty dinky without their own established turf. Even an Erasur-class demon could really do a number on most any of Conquest's champions.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

So I hope the real Maggie is ok, because that's a loving impostor lol. The real question is who is that. The Duchamp girl with the faery familiar maybe? I have no clue.

You sure about that? Remember, she needs two more rounds of blood and fire before her oath is done. She has every reason to call them down on Toronto instead, if she thinks she can duck the karma hit.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

TheRagamuffin posted:

Less of an oath and more of a prophecy. Maggie, for her part, said something along the lines of "I'll do anything as long as both my dads get to live". She wasn't awakened at the time, though, so who knows what that's actually worth.

Fell's brother (right?) was right pissed off about it, though. Said that her oath would at least have the power to keep the red gobliness from falling back into a stupor.

quote:

Fool. She was to rest. She had to agree, or she had to finish here, and once she rested for three days, three nights, she would have to sleep centuries before acting again. Now she can keep going, come back with your oath.

Edit: For reference,

Bloody Goblin posted:

Let me think. You’ll experience what you experienced here, twice more. The rule of three, to make this stronger. Perhaps it will be me again. Perhaps no. But you will experience blood and darkness and fire, like you experienced it here. If you agree, it will be so.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 16, 2014

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Just reread 6.7 out of curiosity (and to go back over the Midge thing) and yeah, Maggie all but says it straight out, as Algid references.

Maggie Holt posted:

“Because this? The contest? Predefined rules, boundaries, minimized damage, a lot to gain? I’ve been hoping for something like this for a long time now.”

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

SerSpook posted:

Wait.

"Afraid of the stranger, maybe somehow recognizing that Laird wasn’t a practitioner."

The gently caress?

It'd actually be kind of hilarious if this turned out to be true, and Laird has been a secret Blackguard all along. But it doesn't fit past uses of magic.

Probably a typo, although his attitude towards the truth does raise a few questions.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm kind of attached to a pet theory that says she's not Alternate Universe Blake, she's actually Grandma Rose's ghost or vestige or whatever, and she's angling to take back her old life.

There's a line in today's Histories that might make you pretty happy, although it's kind of ambiguous.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Fellwenner posted:

Re-reading Maggie's history, the bit at the very end. I wonder if all of this has been anticipated and she is in Laird's pocket even now. Hmm. Part of me says no, her eagerness at this opportunity when Blake called her seemed too genuine, but I wouldn't be surprised at all.

She's siding with a diabolist in a major clash with the Lord of Toronto. As long as she walks away from this, she gets everything she wants without needing to buddy up with the guy who mildly stabbed her in the back by telling Blake about her activities. Heck, if Conquest crushes Blake like a bug, maybe she doesn't get her round two at all.

I think she's reliable. Likely to cause a shitload of civilian casualties, but a reliable ally to Blake himself.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Pavlov posted:

Something's been bothering me though. The last Histories reminded me about an issue with the Thornburn lineage, namely why they feel compelled to continue it. It seems kind of pointlessly cruel to willingly pass down that much bad karma, and yet Rose Sr. made it clear that it was definitely a bad thing that she made an oath hindering that. The Duchamp's have some kind of self-perpetuating oath that does it to them, but Blake didn't have to promise anything like that. Have there been any hints as to what the Thornburn's incentive might be?

I get the worrying impression from how Laird talks that the Barber's not the only problematic thing related to the house. If it were just the Barber and the books, it would be a nasty but not cataclysmic thing to try to transfer or disarm; there weren't any obvious direct consequences for trashing the Duchamp library, and the Barber could in theory be picked up and moved with the right, well, Pact; also, he's a very new addition to the house. There almost has to be something else about the location.

So if I'm on the right track, the house needs stewards for one reason or another, at which point you need either a trustworthy outside player who in the long run will be as vulnerable to temptation as anyone else, or a family that needs some practitioner capabilities to not just be completely outmatched on the spot, and enough numbers to not get snuffed out in a run of horrors.

Comedy option: Mirror Rose is immortal (the Barber can sure as heck break certain rules, so why wouldn't the reflection he cuts out be resistant to the usual vestige problems?) and meant to absorb the Thorburn curse forever while temporal management of the house is transferred to family members who are less under its shadow.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

:golfclap:

Also, I expect Fell kicked the bucket, going by what Conquest said.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Pavlov posted:

So, does the first part of the chapter imply that Ur is really a First Choir demon and Rose really hosed up on the analysis?

Yeah, pretty much.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Happy Yeti posted:

I'm pretty sure Rose identified Ur as part of the First Choir from almost the beginning. If she was wrong about anything it was about its power and size, which is something she and Blake were told about by Conquest. In that he called it a minor demon.

Whoops, you're right.

“Demons and devils fall into choirs. Choir of dark, choir of chaos, choir of ruin, choir of madness, choir of the feral, choir of sin, and choir of unrest, in order. What we’re dealing with… I think it’s a demon of darkness, by all descriptions.”

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Namarrgon posted:

Before the Seal, humanity was basically a primite prey species to Others. Solomon was the biggest, baddest wizard that challenged the most powerful Others, and eventually settled on a compromise; 'innocent' humans are kept safe, while Awakened humans can be targeted by Others. While the Seal works for humanity in perpetuity, it only works for Others that were either present when the Seal was made or as this chapter teaches us those that agree to be bound to it afterwards. Also apparently it is a power source, which makes some sense, as no Other would agree to it otherwise.

Presumable the can't-tell-lies was put in there as a form of antiquity chivalry.

My pet theory is that part of what the eponymous Pact refers to is the Seal of Solomon somehow being a bad thing. Maybe not when it was devised, but in how it's ultimately ended up warping the world or limiting humanity.

Edit: possibly relatedly, check out the etymology of the lawyers. Lewis, Levin, and Mann. Tribe of Levi, Americanized Tribe of Levi, and... well. :haw:

I'm not at all sure that it's irrelevant that the tribe of Levi were / included the priests of ancient Israel, more or less.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 5, 2014

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

hollylolly posted:

If Corvidae messes with Rose by giving Blake back his connections it would be perfection.

Well, now I know what I'm rooting for.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

hollylolly posted:

Duress 12.2 The witch hunters were the least of our problems, with the Thorburns gathered in the diabolist library, and monsters at the gates.

:ohdear:

I can't think of any aces they might have up their sleeves - a lot of wildcards though with the Thorburns. Barboretum doesn't work as an ace if no one can control him.

I suspect that anybody can make a deal with Barbatorem on their own initiative (if they can work out a communication protocol / Rose's works for other people), they just don't necessarily have the benefit of non-Seal preexisting conditions.

Which, you know, could be important.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

The new chapter has all sorts of things just waiting to go horribly wrong!

I especially like Christoff perking up at the suggestion that practitioners can sort-of bring people back from the dead.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Switching that fundamental a set of connections around and then sending Corvidae out to be at risk strikes me as a worse idea than half of what Blake devises, and that's impressive. Edit: oh, I see. That could work and "whoops, Corvidae can't reverse it" is less of a risk if it's just stapling in a new family member.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Grandma Rose is the most gigantic of assholes.

Rose/Corvidae 2016: why vote for the lesser evil.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

All of Blake's focus has been on helping and saving others and improving the world when he isn't simply fighting for his own survival and Rose does basically nothing but focus on Rose.

I'm wondering if Rose gets that she's actually the destructive half of the pair or if she's just totally blind to the fact.

Hahaha did Granny dr jeckyll/mr hyde Blake by cutting out all of his bad parts with the barber in an attempt to make the perfect heir?

An interesting possibility is that she meant the Dr Jekyll component to be the female one, but she made the Usual Diabolist Mistake and overlooked a loophole.

I mean, you'd think she'd have the experience not to, but it's a pretty clear opportunity in hindsight for the Barber to give the Bad Half the Thorburn Voice and therefore ready access to, you know, all the demons.

(Alternatively, the Thorburn Voice is not, in fact, a thing, and Barbatorem generously provided one of the halves a bonus superpower. Because he's a nice entity like that.)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Green Eyes is a really good buddy despite being a cannibal mermaid.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Wolpertinger posted:

Someone in the comments just pointed out something that seems pretty likely - that all the lights going out at once, and the great horrible thing they saw walk by was Ornias, especially with all the lightbulbs being a little bit dimmer and more unreliable after his passing, and all the references to "a starless night" "an empty void".

Man, Wildbow does awesomely chilling demons.

I am somewhat dubious if not for the fact that we saw Ur there earlier.

Maybe there is more of a connection between demons and the Abyss than we and Blake know so far.

Also, if correct maybe Blake wants to avoid diabolism in the future, if he keeps picking up hitchhikers from drawing their attention. I don't think that is likely a standard feature, when they are supposed to be "banished or bound" for the most part.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Grandma Rose posted:

My understanding of things is simple, Alister. Every Other is, if you trace things back far enough, the fault of demons. Every practitioner is the fault of Others, or, for a rare few, the fault of demons. All of these things, in their way, guide all of existence slowly toward its end. The unlucky few who get in too deep fall into their clutches.

I was so loving right about Solomon causing bad poo poo in the long run. :colbert:

According to a potentially unreliable narrator.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Pavlov posted:

I think Pact has had pretty good pacing since the Conquest arc ended. The thing is, Pact, like Worm, is in large part a tragedy. Real tragedies aren't really that common these days, but there's a lot of historical precedent for how they get plotted. Breaking Bad was the only popular tragedy in recent memory I can think of. That and Pact share the same kind of structure, in that they're both stories about people who win all the battles while slowly loosing the war, and gradually become monsters in the process.

The Sopranos has tragic overtones too.

I wish The Wire and, to a much lesser degree, Boardwalk Empire were popular enough to , well, count as popular. :smith:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Bad dog. :mad:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

It's time for the ultimate showdown. :toot:

Edit: Also, there's totally an implied "nine tenths of the law" joke in the arc title. :haw:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 17, 2015

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Namarrgon posted:

Faysal never specifically says on whose side he is; his statements can be interpreted either way.

I'm basically 100% sure that "these pests" means the motes regardless. They're a way higher-priority target than the ragged band of heroes.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Chekhov's Bazooka! :neckbeard:

Also, I wish we'd gotten more time before now in Rose's head.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I was hoping for more conversation in the new chapter, but at least Evan gets something very important to him.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Namarrgon posted:

I found out Wildbow has insight in low screentime characters and his writing process scattered around the internet. Mostly for Worm. Apparently there was a realistic chance Taylor would have died during Leviathan, as he rolled dice to determine survival for his mass extinction scenarios. His original choice was to have continued on as Aegis, but we see how that worked out.

Wonder if he/she/it did that for Parian's girlfriend whose name I can't remember during the S9 finale. :ohdear:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I'm really, really liking Twig. Maybe even more than I liked Worm, and Worm was amazing - come for the why-kids-join-gangs allegory, stay for the escalation, horror, and character growth / downward spiral.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

But girls are icky also he is nine.

E: thinking about it, I think one of the best things about Twig so far is that Wildbow has avoided a problem I now seem to recall being quite prevalent in Pact - the 'as you know' or 'just so you know' type conversation - in Pact, a lot of these world details were explained in exposition, usually by Rose, and it got kinda boring - Twig is doing much better on 'show don't tell' here - it shows the loving terrifying security measures that are habitual and ingrained into the Academy by them being side-points, like the beast, or the rain, or gorger casually chowing down on sub rosa.

Gorger is the friendliest and most adorable bioengineered murder monster. :3:

I really do like how he's basically buddies / friendly coworkers with the Lambs.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Merry loving Christmas, everybody!

:stonk:

Edit: :can:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 23, 2015

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

Did wildbow do something crazy or is this about the most recent chapter

The Tuesday chapter.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Oh nooooooo.

If the firstborn AREN'T the actual babies, then the fact that McCormick gave his child brain damage was both unnecessary (though from the sound of things, probably a kindness) AND dangerous - because he thinks his firstborn is damaged, when presumably it's completely healthy...

Haha, I didn't even think of that. :allears:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I swear to Primordial God, there was a banner or something with people blending into woodwork, but I can't seem to find it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

While awesome, it's not the one I am thinking of. (Looks like a Mary scene incidentslly, and we still haven't had a Helen one.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Nettle Soup posted:

It might be this one? Apparently it's the banner on topwebfiction.
http://mahasim.deviantart.com/art/Commission-Twig-Banner-557896276

Suddenly the name Twig is starting to come into context.

Bingo! That's the one.

And all three titles of Wildbow works have been multi layered wordplays. Mary's creator, in his enemy chapter, talked about twigs as a metaphor for an ecology concept - I have to go back amd reread that in the context of everything that has been happening. And of course all the Lambs are offshoots of different bits of work on transhumanism and novel mental patterns.

• Locked thread