Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Be aware that a 55 is not that large. You can do a severum OR a jack dempsey but both as full adults, not gonna happen safely.

Clown loaches need to be in schools, are prone to high stress (which means ich) and get too large for a 55.

What fish are in the tank right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Wolfgang Müller posted:

Right now there is just the severum (1.75"), the featherfin (3.5"), and the crayfish (3"). The crayfish is the only adult right now.

Yes, but in theory you stock your tank with what animals will fit in their adult size, not just current one. I've seen marbled crays at almost 5 inches, but those ladies might have been freaks.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dantu posted:

I have had a 1.5 inch fire mouth in my office tank for months now, with just a clown Pleco as a tank mate. In that time I have seen him outside of the PVC pipe I put in as shelter a grand total of two times. He doesn't even come out for food. I can only assume he eats the sinking pellets when nobody is around because he hasn't died, but he's also not growing. Anyone deal with a scared cichlid this long? Should I add dither fish? Never seen a fish refuse to come out for more than a few weeks before. I thought about taking the pipe out but then I'm sure he will just hide behind the driftwood.

What size tank?
What else does he have to hide in? What decor is in the tank?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

demonR6 posted:

Don't forget heat.. not sure what temps goldfish tolerate but a tank heater and turning up the temperature also is suggested.

Raise heat, add some air stones. Increase oxygen, pretty much.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

JuffoWup posted:

Hmm, those fish choices. Won't the jack try to rearrange the aquarium? Good luck with keeping it like that.

Slow moving butterfly fish, and a genetically altered and weaker Jack Dempsey, and a fish that needs to surface every other minute. drat, yeah great idea, can we put in some goldfish and Oscars too?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Niiice! Love discus but my heart and wallet belongs to catfish and few do well with discus.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

SharkTattoos posted:

Awesome I'll take a look at both.

Another one - anyone have any experience with any live plant sites they can recommend to use or avoid? I'm going to ask my LFS if they can get some specific harder to find stuff in, but I want to have a backup place in case they can't get some specific species I'm looking for.

Aquabid.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Wanting dither fish to calm my pussy calvus down. Zebra danios might work?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Smartass on a Facebook page, in Arizona, posted pics of his piranha for sale. Piranha are illegal in az. Cue the screams at me to stop saying that on his ad.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I did call game and fish and told them what little I could. Here's hoping they can do something.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I loving wish FB had the same rules as the SA forums. I'd pay the $10 not to deal with:

quote:

No rules if you don't like someone selling something illegal and don't inquire or post comments no one asked you to be the fish police if he gets caught up or anybody else that's there issue this what makes the The hobby fun keeping unique species that no one in United States is supposed to have rather be African South American illegal snakeheads or parana but the one thing I can say it's nice about this group of the very little rules and the hypocritical admin's like the other groups who have power trips so if it bothers you that much either leave the group move onto the next post no disrespect or anything against you but if people wanted other people's opinion they would ask for it and advance I'm sorry if this offends you but It had to be said

quote:

Me: The gent in question has already sold the fish and has reduced to namecalling and insisting the fish are legal, per his lawyers, as he is not an AZ resident, and I seriously doubt AZGF will care. To each his own, but don't use this site to sell your illegal goods. It reflects on all of us.
4 hrs · Like

Idiot Seller: cameron, have never released a fish i rescued into the wild, wrong Cowslips they don't belong to me the owner rented a tank to keep some of them alive until he can find them another home, they are just fish.
4 hrs · Like

Me: They are in AZ, they are illegal to keep here. Pretty open and shut case. There was a lady who sold crayfish on Aquabid, and she was listed as living in AZ...but her stock was kept in another state and she never sold to AZ buyers. AZFG doesn't care about excuses, they care about potential releases and the fines. The new owner of the fish gets to deal with them now. AZGF does not care if you are 'holding them for a friend' or whatever excuse you have. It's a black and white case. The fish will be put down either way. The only thing left is who pays the state fines for keeping the fish.
4 hrs · Like

Idiot Seller: you are wrong,
4 hrs · Like · 1

IS: you a lawyer?
4 hrs · Like · 1

IS: you an expert? at anything, do you have standing? or are you just full of piss and vinegar?
4 hrs · Like · 1

rear end in a top hat: Called jealousy
4 hrs · Like

IS: so, it's ok with you if we round up all the illegal residents of az and kill them so they won't offend your interpretation imigration law
4 hrs · Like · 1

IS: or i guess we could deport them
3 hrs · Like

IS: the fish i mean they can go back to where they came from except they were born in az
3 hrs · Like

IS: some of them
3 hrs · Like

IS: there parents were the ones who immigrated to az, and like fish do they had children
3 hrs · Like

IS: you here legally?
3 hrs · Like

IS: what nothing more to say you are ruining it for the rest of us
3 hrs · Like

Second Idiot: I think in this group the only one making a big deal out if it is Cowslips no body else cares about it except for you.. it's like saying gather all the homeless dogs and kill them all

Idiot Seller uses his real name on Facebook and his real place of work. How stupid do you have to be?

Reminds me of Monsterfishkeepers, where people openly keep illegal fish and brag about it. And wonder why more legislation is passed to make more species illegal.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Fusillade posted:

NOW you're painting with broad strokes.

True. Sorry, spoken in frustration. MANY people I knew on mfk were all about "gently caress DA police" about illegal stock.

If you're going to keep piranha illegally, keep black rhoms, not loving pussy redbellies. Go big or go to goldfish.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Depends on what function your pleco needs to fill.

Algae eater? BN is your best bet. There are some very nice color variations out there too.

Scavenger/standard display? L200 would be great. I would be leery of anything marked 'gold nugget.' There are several species with that name, and all but one (L14) lose the gold as they age, and all of them get about a thick foot long and can be aggressive.

What about farlowella (several species, aka twig cats) or otos?

Hit up PlanetCatfish's Cat E Log and check under L numbers. Be aware that many species are not easy to find.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Which l number do you mean? 18, 81, etc?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
This might sound crazy, but have you ever not drip acclimated? For marine fish I always did, especially marine inverts, but for freshwater fish, unless I know they come from RO or a wildly different (lower) pH, it's literally slice the bag, dump the water, and dump the animals into the QT tank.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

cheese posted:

Has anyone had success ordering fish online? I'm setting up a new 300g rubbermaid pond and my local selection is just awful. I'd like to get a good bunch of 20+ sarasa comets, some shubunkins and maybe some fantails/more wakins. There are some options out there including some sites that seem to sell batches of those fish, but I don't want to waste my time and get a box of dead fish.

Wetspot has always been great shipping, same with John K (aka Snook) on Aquabid. Shipping fish is pretty good, and some people even ship internationally. I don't recommend that for a beginner though.

For crays, years ago I had a five inch bastard I kept in a 20 long, and he managed to find the one small hole for airline tubing and managed to lift that part of the lid. I heard the thump of him landing on the dresser, and off he ran, but thankfully I netted the fucker before he got to the ground. But for some odd reason I rarely find cherries outside of my open-air tanks. Maybe the duckweed keeps them all in.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone else ever heard of this, and how did it work out?

Lady in one of the local aquarium clubs wants to open a pet store where a fish breeder, like, say, me, would get rack of tanks. I'd pay a portion of the electricity to run them but would sell my own fish, and also pay the store a fee to use their tanks.

I asked the lady what would happen if a fish died in the store. IE, would the store pay for it? What if someone cross-contaminated nets and all my fish died or got the wrong food and got bloat?

She proceeded to scream I was starting drama, but has anyone ever heard of a pet store run like this? In the past when I sold to stores, they paid cash or store credit and the fish were theirs. There was none of this 'well the tanks are mine but you're using them BUT we get a cut of the sale' poo poo.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Fejsze posted:

Just checking on something... but it's not possible for assassin snails to actually catch and kill a fish.... right?

Found all of them clustered up this morning on the corpse of a dwarf cory. Didn't notice any of the corys acting weird before heading to bed last night, water temp/parameters are stable. I guess it's possible that one of them up and died overnight, but don't know if an assassin could catch them while they're resting on the bottom.

I hope not. I've enjoyed having my tank mostly snail free...

If they did, the cory was already dying.

My assassins make quick work of anything dead in the tank. That doesn't mean they kill the fish, and any fish that can't escape a snail isn't going to make it anyway.

Had the SAKE fish expo yesterday. Went great! Won some awesome prizes and ended up with 4 frontosa juvies (I seriously thought someone would outbid me!) and some Cynotiliapia Lions Cove juvies. I didn't expect to get those either, everyone I spoke to said meh, they're not so pretty. Google says they should at least be decent.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Nitrates even that low could be high for fry. But yes, sometimes they die for no reason we can see.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

MrConfusedTurkey posted:

Are the liquid API gH tests reliable, or is there a more accurate way of testing for water hardness? I live in AZ, US. So hard water here is a massive problem, and I think the reason (outside of being feeders) my ghost shrimp are dying after surviving for about 2-4 weeks is because they can't molt.

Where in AZ are you, Turkey? I can meet up somewhere (am in Phoenix) and give you some brown cherries. IE the wild strain but they breed pretty well for me.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
This seems kinda dumb, but okay. So I sold some bristlenose plecos to a girl over Facebook, we met on Saturday, she took the fish, I got the money, and we parted ways. I get an email today that one of the plecos died.

Now this fish I'd had for over a loving year and never had a problem. It was healthy and fine. Bagged separately and shouldn't have been in the bag for more than an hour. But as a private breeder am I supposed to replace this fish? I don't have another one and it's not like even Petsmart just says oh sure, replace away, these days.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
In terms of pH: loving it up by loving with it is more likely than unfucking anything.

Unless the rams are wild caught there is no need to gently caress with your pH. Unless you want them to breed, no need to lower it either. A friend of mine breeds discus, and he has them in RO to spawn, and once the fry are a good size he slowly acclimates them to our tap water, because most people here have 8.4 from the tap and the fish are fine.

Don't gently caress with pH. It's not worth it unless you have one of 6 and want to keep Tang cichlids or have an 8 and want to keep blackwater fish.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
To see shrimp go insane busy, throw in a piece of raw cocktail shrimp. The frenzy will match anything from NatGeo.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Those loving worms. Kill them with fire.

So I had two major fuckups yesterday. I had three holding yellow labs; one had been holding for a while, so I stripped her, and found a mouthful of unfertilized eggs. She was just happily brooding the slugs. So I fed those out to the other fish and put her back in the main tank. I decided to strip the second one, and....yes she had fry. No, they weren't ready to come out and they all died. Awesome. And because I was an idiot, I stripped the last one and again, fry, too early, all dead. I killed probably 30 yellow labs yesterday.

And then I noticed this morning, after draining down some tanks and hooking up the water change hose to my tote (the water comes out of the tap at 90 or so now, so I fill 30 gallon garbage totes and let them sit overnight, by then the temp of the water is closer to 80 and can be used) when I saw the powerhead wasn't working. Looks like a fish got into the tote, was sucked in, and died, leaving 30 gallons of dead fish water that I had to use. I cleaned out the powerhead and Primed the poo poo of out if, and Primed the tanks too, and now am waiting, fingers crossed, that I didn't kill two tanks with dead fish water.

And earlier this week my zebra tank heater poo poo out. They need 82* water and right now it's 77. Yay.

On the small plus side, my main dad blue eyed bristlenose has been chilling on eggs and fry, so I removed them today. And his adult son also had a group of fry ready to go, so their Father's Day gifts were getting out of their drat caves to eat!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Try emerald eyed rasbora?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Fewer things are more frustrating that arguing with someone that no, them keeping a redtail catfish in a 65 hex "just until he can get an upgrade one day" is a bad idea. Perhaps the people arguing back that "telling him to get the bigger tank first ISN'T what he asked, he asked what a good price was."

I really wish some fish weren't on the market.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Keeping blackworms alive in the fridge is one thing, culturing them another entirely unless you have a good size to start up.

No more Catalina titanium heaters for me. The one I had on my zebra pleco tank decided it didn't want to shut off, and I caught it at 87*. Pulled that fucker out asap. Zebras like warm water, yes, but that's loving pushing it. Eheim Jagers any better? I know Ebo Jagers dropped in quality a few years ago.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Some of the smaller killiifsh like A australe would be good too. Just beware jumpers.

A shrimp tank is pretty cool and relaxing. One of my favorite tanks ever was a 3 gallon that started with 10 yellow shrimp and ended up housing close to 60.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I have a 29 gallon tank in the bathroom. Top that, bitches with your little Fluval edges.

For moving, are you driving the distance? How long should it take?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

29 gallons?!?! That toilet could suck down an infant!

I'm moving 300 miles and it should take 5-6 hours. I'm taking the tank up Monday, next week, and doing the rest of my move a few days later. No way I'm trying to deal with my pets and a move on the same day.

Drain the tank entirely. Throw the fish in bags (get oxygen if you can from a pet store, otherwise use breather bags for all fish save labryinth ones or corys, bettas, fish that need access to open air) and into a cooler. They will be fine as long as they have AC. For the filter stuff, keep THAT in another bag or two and keep it wet. Keep some Prime on hand for any cycling issues. Is the water the same pH and the like where you are moving to?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I had a motoro stingray for a few years when I worked at the zoo. She was kept in a way too small tank but with my water change regiment she was outgrowing it fast. I would never ever put any fish in with her or any other stingrays like frontosa or pretty much anything I don't mind disappearing (in the case of the fronts they would likely stress her to the point of death by picking at her skin).

For "nice" loaches stick with kuhlis.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Enos Cabell posted:

Thanks for the info. Did some more reading too, and I'd rather not go with a 240g tank. Spend enough of my time doing water changes as it is.

Try sewellia lineota. Hillstream loaches that don't need fast current and are fine in a species tank. They look a bit like stingrays.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

SuperGinger! posted:

Does anyone know what this is? I found it in my pond snail and cherry shrimp tank. It looks like a shrimp mixed with a pill bug. It's very shrimp-like but then the back half curls inwards. I have a few of them and instead of swimming around and exploring like my other shrimp, they stick to the gravel.

Are they harmful to the tank? The snails and shrimp are being used as GSP food.

Yes, is a scud. I had tons once, before I threw some catfish fry into my pleco fry tank, and forgot they were there. Millions of scuds down to maybe a dozen in a month until I realized what had happened.

They are good little scavengers and make for good live treats. Mine always kept to the duckweed and man do they love to eat!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Fish Noise posted:

I once saw a rather small feeder goldfish that could shuck MTS right out of their shells, and would go after any snail dropped into its tank because it knew they were edible, and more importantly, HOW to eat them.

That is awesome. I've always wanted a 55 with 5 or 6 goldies. One day. After I find room for a 55 for my hillstream loaches.

gently caress. Woke up this morning and my big P typus catfish was dead. Slightly swollen stomach and bleach white. Was dead overnight at least. gently caress all kinds of duck. I don't know if it was the male or female but it was half of the breeding pair. But hopefully finding a new one in the spawning cave with the now-widowed partner means babies in the future?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Fusillade posted:

Yes, even after 20 years in the hobby, I have done something as stupid as 'be too distracted and forgot to dechlorinate the water'. I lost all my hatchetfish and discus once because of that. Absolutely no excuse. :<

I've done that.

I've also not reset the lid proper on a marine tank and the five foot eel, which never had noticed the lid before, did notice the crack and got himself out of the tank. I found him on the floor the next morning and couldn't revive him. A five foot eel is surprisingly heavy dead weight.

Years ago I was too cheap to set up 2 different QT tanks and figured I'd just toss both orders, from different suppliers, into one tank. $200 worth of new fish and after all said and done I had one survivor.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Vampire shrimp and bamboo shrimp are pretty awesome. I had several of the latter in my 90 and would dump in super small fry pellets, or coral food, near the sponge filters, and they'd go nuts. I had a few berry at one point but nothing survived.

I'd love to get more but they don't ship well.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
You dont really make driftwood.. Find it, yes. Boil it, yes. But usually the stuff already waterlogged in a store can be fine.

I want some garra! And some electric blue acara and I have no drat tank space left.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Rallos posted:

I've heard they will inbreed themselves sterile but I haven't had mine long enough to have that. How often should you add new blood? Any experienced shrimpers here?

I'm not an expert but.....these are red cherries, right? I have some in all my tanks, and over time if I don't cull, I end up with a tank of brown shrimp. But when I kept yellows (a color strain of cherries) they did great....for a while. Despite adding new blood, after a year all of them were dead. I tried blue velvets. Same story. Some shrimp that are bred for certain colors seem weaker genetically.

The dude I got the blue velvets from ordered them online from a guy who had what he said was a pure strain, but all of those died off too. Nothing wrong with the water, no copper, just weak animals. It happens.

That said if yours are cherries, they shouldn't drop dead so easily. What else is in their tank? Have you tested for heavy metals, like copper?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
All right fish guys, I need help.

So until recently my 90 gallon was just for my big male blue-eyed bristlenose pleco and his dozen females. And then some of his fry would escape me, and grow up, and now there's a half dozen boys all kicking the poo poo out of each other, and no breeding.

While this was happening I picked up some calvus cichlid juvies and some leleupi juvies, and I have 3 20 gallon tanks in my spare room that I had set for growouts. The plan was to take the 3 20s and use them for QT, and set up a 55 in their place to put the leleupi and calvus in.

But with the plecos being fuckers, perhaps I need to scrap that. And put one male in each 20, with a few females. And move the leleupi and calvus to the 90, and keep a few BN plecos in there too.

The only issue would be the loving size of the 90, in case I get fry and need to remove them. The calvus were in a tank with julies and devoured a ton of hteir fry and they are pretty good fry eaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Bury the sponges in the dirt and put some nice bushes over them.

Seriously just throw them out.

All right goons, redoing my 90. Do I want to keep it a pleco tank or move the BN swarm and put in leleupi and calvus?