Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Rythe posted:

Wow OP thanks for that amazing picture to the NPR top 100 sci-fi/fantasy books, I have read a ton of books on there already but that picture just opened up 6 more series I need to download and get reading. That was perfect timing too, I just finished the Mistborn trilogy and was in the mood for another series. I am going to start with Iain Banks Culture series or Joe Haldeman The forever War series, any recommendations on what one I should read first?

Honestly i'd just read The Forever War and skip the sequels, then start on The Player of Games by Banks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

specklebang posted:

One of my favorite authors is Neal Asher who write very far future, very high tech tales set in his partly utopi

I've only read the Ian Cormac books but I blew threw them in two weeks and really enjoyed them. He has some great ideas when it comes to AIs, Androids and other sci-fi concepts, the universe he builds is a testament to that.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
I've found the best female characters are probably in the Malazan books. Off the top of my head I can think of Laseen, Shurq Elalle, Yan Tovis, Tavore Paran, Uru Hela/Mayfly (my favorite heavies.), a bunch of the Tiste Andii, Blend and Picker, Adjunct Lorn etc. It's a bit of an investment to read though.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Jedit posted:

That's about the most generic description you could possibly give.

I dunno, he sounds pretty much right.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Cardiac posted:

I know Neal Asher seems to get a bad reputation around here, since it's not Space Communism, but for imaginative scifi-settings he knows his trade.

I've only read the Agent Cormac books but I breezed through those in a couple of weeks and really enjoyed them. He does some fantastic worldbuilding, and as you mentioned the AI/hacking elements seemed really well done. I'll probably get round to the Owner trilogy soon enough, but the Amazon reviews didn't seem that great (not that it's really a big deal or anything).

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

specklebang posted:

I recently discovered author Gavin Smith and read his first 2 books Veteran and War In Heaven. He just released a new book The Age Of Scorpio that is 1/3 fantasy, 1/3 modern thriller and 1/3 Space Opera with all stories (so far unrelated) going at once. I'm not quite recommending it - I haven't finished it - but I wonder of anybody else here has read this guys stuff and what your take on it is.

I'd say that if Abercrombie, Morgan and Asher wrote a book together it would be like this.

I'm about halfway through it, but I keep dropping it to read other stuff inbetween. It's a pretty challenging book, however i'm not quite enjoying the fantasy stuff too much. Loving the modern/Space Opera sections though, some really cool ideas present and his writing style is quite easy to lap up even if you don't have a loving clue what's going on. I'll finish it eventually.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Lord Yod posted:

Just finished reading Thirteen, by Richard K. Morgan. Long story short, if you like the Takeshi Kovacs novels and want more, you should read it. It's in a different setting but not by much, and it reads a lot like the Adventures of not-Takeshi Kovacs, cyberpunk anti-superhero. As an avid consumer of Morgan I enjoyed it. I know he has some mixed reviews here and I can't say I'd expect anyone to change their mind based on this one.

I really liked this, it uses all Morgan's usual tropes but he mixes up the plot and setting enough to keep me hooked. If I read something else about LCLS panels though i'll go bonkers.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
I just finished the fourth Peter Grant book (Broken Homes) by Ben Aaronovitch. I have to agree with whoever it was who posted in this thread earlier about the big twist coming out of nowhere. There were little hints here and there, but even those conflicted with another part of the plot. Also what was the big River party about? It kind of just happened and contributed nothing to the plot. I'd really like to see these books fleshed out an extra 80 pages or so. I love Aaronovitch's take on wizards and I want to see more of Grant's training and research. It seems at the moment he's just doing the same things from the first book, but now with the staff construction added. Loved the Russian character though and her little history. Hopefully reveals a bit more about Nightingale's aging affliction or teaches Grant some mad poo poo. Aaronovitch can write the action scenes well and i'd love to see more of them.

ed balls balls man fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Oct 15, 2013

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Xandoom posted:

Are the Nagash the Necromancer series of books from the Warhammer universe any good?

You should try the Black Library thread, might get a better audience for this question.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
Has anyone tried Tom Lloyd's Stormcaller books? It was billed as a finished series along the lines of Malazan but it just seems really generic, and the pacing is god awful. I checked out some reviews and it was all just "waa too many POVs" and I don't really care about that after Malazan. I'm about halfway through the first and really can't see myself going on.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
The kindle version of London Falling by Paul Cornell is currently £0.89 on Amazon UK, I've had this on my wishlist for a while, and i've heard it billed as more of a gritty-style PC Grant novel? For 89p though, might as well take a punt.

Edit: Someone also mentioned Stealing Light by Gary Gibson on the last page, that's down to £1.19, what the devil is going on.

ed balls balls man fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 22, 2013

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
Eh, Asher's books are pretty entertaining and have some fantastic world building however I've only read the Agent Cormac books.

Anyone have any thoughts on Stephen Baxter's books? Was reading the blurb for Proxima and it sounded like a cool read. Saw he has a whole other stack of published work which also sounded interesting.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

BigSkillet posted:

Have you read Steph Swainston's Year of Our War series.

Seconding this recommendation, it's a fantastic series with some fantastic worldbuilding. According to Swainston's twitter she's been working on a new novel for the last few month and has material for a good few books mapped out.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
I didn't like Wheel of Time but Malazan is without a doubt my favorite series.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

specklebang posted:

I just got my ARC of The Dark Defiles, the final book of The Land Fit For Heroes by Richard K. Morgan.

Urg I want this. I did win an ARC of Edward Cox's 'The Relic Guild' though so i'll probably read that to tide me over. I love Richard Morgan's stuff, it's just loving mental.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
Err apparently The Magician's Land is out tomorrow but I can't find a kindle edition on Amazon UK or US, is it just not going to happen?

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
I can't even find an Echopraxia listing on Amazon UK.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

By the way, his newest book Willful Child is really good, very funny, and not nearly as dense as the Malazan stories. It's worth a look even for people who couldn't get into Malazan.

Seconding this, It's a totally different tone, but I haven't laughed out loud like that in a book in years. It's kinda like the Star Trek discworld. Or Iskaral Pust IN SPACE (not really but just as funny).

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

First "The Expanse" trailer (SyFy TV series based on Leviathan Wakes etc)

Miller looks so goddamn loving stupid.

his hat his loving hat oh god

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
Man I picked up the first book of that Marko Kloos MilSci series that was nominated for a Hugo since it was a quid and my god. It's absolute pulp trash with the thinnest plot and characters i've read in ages. Like some of the worst self published stuff on Amazon. I know the Hugos are Dumb and Bad but this stuff getting nominated for anything just really makes me sad when there's been so many incredible scifi/fantasy books out the past 5/6 years or so.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Crashbee posted:

Today's UK Kindle daily deal includes a number of decent sci-fi books, including Ancillary Justice, Starship Troopers, Proxima by Stephen Baxter, a couple of Arthur C Clarke's, Metro 2034 (but not 2033), and Blue Remembered Earth by Alastair Reynolds.

Just picked up Proxima which I've had on my wishlist for a while, thanks for posting!

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

Gotta add that the second book is probably the best one and third easily the worst, but it's a great obscure series. I'm surprised this is the first time I'm seeing it mentioned here, honestly.

I've mentioned it a couple of times in recommendations but I would completely agree with you with regards to the second and third books. Beyond the Snowline is fine but nothing too special. Steph Swainston has been working on a couple more for a while now according to her twitter.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Junkenstein posted:

Luna: New Moon sure has a shitload of characters to keep track of for a 400 page book.

Just finished this, I was a bit worried going in after glancing at the glossary but in the end I didn't find it too much trouble. Infact it's probably one of my favorite books of the year. Never read a McDonald book before and I'm pleasantly surprised.

Some great storytelling, a fascinating look at a possible society on the moon and the whole 5 families theme running through was cool. Go read it!

ed balls balls man fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Nov 1, 2015

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
so how about those new space books out huh

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
Wet leopard growl

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

mcustic posted:

Everyone looking for mil-SF, if you can stand the fact that the protagonists wear smart black uniforms with silver piping and skull amblems on their hats, Death's Head is a decent series that is heavily combat oriented.

Here's the wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death%27s_Head_(series)

The author is allegedly Jon Courtnay Grimwood, using the pen name David Gunn.

e: I should probably make it clear that the dudes in the novels aren't the space SS, aside from the uniforms thing.

I really enjoyed Grimwood's Assassini books so might have to check this out even if it does sound a little janky.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

savinhill posted:

Luna: New Moon is great so far. I noticed that it has tons more sex than other Ian MacDonald books I've read so I figured it's TV deal would be for HBO or one of the other premium cable networks, but I looked it up and it's for CBS, wtf, they're not going to be able to show even a tiny fraction of this stuff.

One of my favorite books of the past year, along with TTBC. Really excited about Wolf Moon.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
So I just smashed through the first 3 of Charles Stross Laundry Files novels in this space of a week while I'm working away from home. I've never picked one up before mostly because the whole Lovecraft/Cosmic Horror genre never really interested me (plus his horrible wiki pic). His writing style is great if you can live with the first three being semi-pastiches to espionage authors, and tech wankery but his world building and plot is pretty decent. Would certainly recommend.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
I gave in and read Blackwing by Ed McDonald, was pretty good. Same vein as Richard Morgan, Joe Abercrombie etc. Give it a read.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Cimber posted:

RPO was a fun little book that has absolutely no value or reread value. Characters were one dimensional and the plot was pretty baseline. 2/10. Would not read again.

I just finished RPO on the recommendation of a friend and yeah pretty much this. The prose felt really poor and janky but if you imagine it as a YA book it fixes it.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

mllaneza posted:

I'm a fan of Susan R Matthews from before she signed with Baen, and I think she's getting good covers. Based on knowing her on Facebook, I think she'd agree. Her Jurisdiction series has some really good stuff in it.

is this sarcasm

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

occamsnailfile posted:

Did people get any good SF books as gifts? I got Six Wakes by Mur Lafferty which I am v. excited about. Also got a big coffee table book of history stuff but that's not for the same kind of reading.

I got Too Like the Lightning by Ada Palmer, really excited to get stuck into it when I have a day to myself. Also got Passage At Arms by Glen Cook, which after reading the Black Company a few years ago I've got high hopes for.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
Morgan's stuff is great. Market Forces is one of the funnest books i've ever read. Corporate dystopia, where contracts are tendered by Mad Max style road wars and conflict investment is now a key desk for firms.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Khizan posted:

Morgan's stuff is always about an over-the-top alpha-male protagonist in a dystopian world, but I like pretty much everything of his I've read anyways.

Wouldn't disagree with this at all (especially 13!). For me I take it a bit like adult-airport fiction if that makes any sense. Over the top characters, settings and scenarios but with better everything.

For UK kindle-havers The Red Knight is only 99p at the moment. I'd ignored this for years just based from the blurb and cover because i'm an idiot. It has some strong prose and a good mix of historical research (in the sense of armour and logistics etc) and fantasy elements. Might be worth a read for some of you!

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
Anyone read Empire of Silence by Christopher Ruocchio yet? The prose is excellent and the world-building is incredible. Will post a proper review when i'm done.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
Started my Baru reread today, forgot how quickly it pulls you in for the ride. Can't wait for this sequel.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
There was a recent thread on reddit regarding a pre-Monster reread, seems well received over there also, couple of people triggered by the nature of the evil imperials though. I personally thought the entire relationship between Baru's seuxality and the inherent evils of the Masquerade was absolutely fantastic, and jesus christ the ending was heartbreaking. Can't wait to see how it develops.

PS preorder this book and 5 star on Amazon/Goodreads if you feel it deserves it. Especially UK and other regional outlets on Amazon. I want more.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
Looking for some recommendations around space/planet colonisation and the tech that goes with it.. really got into binging interesting sci-fi concepts after reading Proxima by Stephen Baxter. Also watched Interstellar recently and the role Mann (Matt Damon's character) was really interesting. The whole noble sacrifice thing turning around as he didn't want to die was a nice twist. End of the world survival stuff also works.

Some bits i've read already along my line of interest:

Red Mars trilogy by KSR
Seveneves by Neal Stephenson
Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky
Proxima by Stephen Baxter
Poseidon's Children by Alastair Reynolds

Other stuff I liked with interesting parts of future tech etc.
Commonwealth Saga by Peter F. Hamilton (trains!)
Kovacs Trilogy/Black Man/Market Forces by Richard K. Morgan (Stacks, Envoys, Needlecast)
Polity series by Neal Asher (Runcible, AI, Prador)
Culture by Iain M. Banks (everything)
Blindsight by Peter Watts
Empire of Silence by Christopher Ruochhio
Couple of the 40K novels have some good bits in.
Red Rising series by Pierce Brown (little pulpy but great fun)
Too Like The Lightning by Ada Palmer
Quantum Mythology by Gavin G. Smith

On my list already:
China Mountain Zhang by McHugh
Arkwright by Allen Steel
Freeze-Frame Revolution by Peter Watts

Anything would be much appreciated. Open to TV/Film recs also. Someone mentioned Salvation? Basically an Elon Musk + Seveneves scenario?

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Read Aurora by KSR, if you like Red Mars, for a twist on the colonization theme. Aurora has a couple of very interesting characters that actually develop during the novel.

China Mountain Zhang has its moments, glad to see it on your list.

Added to the list! With China Mountain Zhang, the blurb sounded great.

Megazver posted:

Arkwright, I thought, was boring as gently caress. But I must admit, I couldn't even last until to the planet colonization bits.

Arkwright was next on my list! Shame, If I can't get into a book by the first 10% I tend to just put it down, so this might be one of those.

occamsnailfile posted:

Charles Stross, Accelerando

Larry Niven and Brenda Cooper, Building Harlequin's Moon

Accelerando is now on my list, can't believe I didn't notice it earlier considering I love the Laundry Files and i've read Neptune's Brood/Saturn's Children.

Building Harlequin's Moon was a book I always used to see wandering around Borders (back when we had those in the UK) and seeing the cover after googling it brought me right back! Not available on Kindle but sounds like it might be worth an order from bookdepository.

StrixNebulosa posted:

40k In Gehenna by CJ Cherryh, a multi-generational book about a colony gone wrong, as they stop getting supplies very quickly and it turns into survival on a harsh world, then adaptation. The colonists at the end of the book are nothing like the original settlers and it's very very cool.

Sounds awesome, thanks man.

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

You will love Alastair Reynolds Pushing Ice for certain.

Added, still have Revenger on my Kindle to read after I picked it up in the last sale.

Good luck with Monster. Hoping we get the full title and not the amended title in the UK, and the cover is awesome. Preorder for hardcover is in on Amazon! When's the feature length Naval Cephalopod Command novel coming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

BananaNutkins posted:

Everyone and their brother wanted to be the SF version of Game of Thrones, and claimed to be it's succesor on their front covers. Any read Luna: New Moon by Ian Mcdonald?

It's a blast, and the book after is also excellent. Third is coming out next year I believe. Read it!

Also thank you to everyone who recommended Aurora, I loved it.