Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
I looked at their website and I hope you are applying for one of the academic teaching positions and not the ESL position since you have a teaching cert. For the love of god don't get paid 19k canadian a year if you have a teaching cert. Although these positions require you to be certified to teach in BC and I see you are from Eastern Canada.

Seriously though, don't take the ESL position, it literally pays half of what the subject positions pay, get certified in BC if you have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
So uhh what am I supposed to do with an old Chinese entry visa that has fallen out of my passport? Glue that poo poo back in? Is it gonna cause problems if it's not in there when I apply for future visas?

Arakan
May 10, 2008

If you're anywhere near jing'an on line two it's pretty much like living in America. I definitely saw more foreigners than Chinese people and never ate Chinese food once the two weeks I was visiting friends around there. And yea lots of the apartment complexes have pools.

This seemed really weird to me at first too since I had been in China three years before ever going to Shanghai, but SH isn't really China as far as I'm concerned now.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Yea especially in the touristy areas of Beijing cause you will be an easy mark walking around by yourself speaking no Chinese. If a Chinese person (girl, it's always a girl if you're a dude) comes up to you randomly and starts talking they are probably trying to get money from you in some way.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

It's cold

Arakan
May 10, 2008

El_Matarife posted:

I'm basically intending to stay till I pick up Mandarin

So a couple years then? I don't know what you think you will accomplish in a few months if you're starting from zero language ability.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Guilin is a shithole I'd skip there except connecting trains or whatever, but the other towns south of it near the river are awesome.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

YF19pilot posted:

and I'm an American Mutt.

So do you look white or not? If you don't then it's quite possible the interview saw you, decided immediately to reject you, but didn't want anyone to lose face so he went ahead with the interview anyways before sending you a rejection. If you are not white I would stay away from chain schools like EF because they are only interested in the appearance they give off to parents so they can get the most peoples money, I'd be surprised if they cared how you actually taught.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

I'll advocate working illegally. You will never get caught, nor will anyone give a poo poo, if you just find students to tutor on your own. I'm sure your GF's family can help you with this. The people who run into problems are those working illegally at actual schools, schools that have not paid a sufficient amount of money to bribe the police.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

^You might as well live in Suzhou if you want a cheap apartment. The commute would be similar.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Magna Kaser posted:

I lived in Suzhou for a while, and honestly wouldn't mind it.

Yea I wasn't being facetious. You are looking at 23 minutes from Suzhou North to Hong Qiao, and 27 minutes from Suzhou station. Then from Hong Qiao to downtown can't be more than like 15-20 minutes unless you have to transfer I guess. So if you can live within 10-15 minutes of one of the train stations in Suzhou it's almost the same amount of commute and you'll pay half the rent.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

At least you will know real quick if your marriage is gonna work out or not by honeymooning in China!

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Well if you don't have a work visa before you arrive you're going to have to leave the country again to get one. I don't know if you can still do that in Hong Kong or not, but worst case is you will have to go back to your home country, so if you want to work legally I'd suggest getting a job before you go to China.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

The correct name for this game is Kario Mart and it is a lot of fun. Pro tip: chug a large portion of your beer at the start of the race so you can focus on racing the rest of the time.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Almond Crunch posted:

THE WEED IS P GOOD THOUGH

Nah it's not. Unless you're not from America in which case maybe it is. At least you can get cheap opium down there though!

Your schedule is fine since you want to take classes, ignore the haters. Also I don't understand..cold in Kunming? I was there last February and it was like 60 and sunny every day.

Arakan fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Dec 4, 2013

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Umm it's only at 144. You are in for a rude awakening!

Arakan
May 10, 2008

If you show its under 1000 RMB you better be ready to pay a bribe or something cause I doubt they would go through the trouble of actually doing their jobs without getting some more money for it

Arakan
May 10, 2008

spiderjelly eat the eggs drugs

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Just use kuaibo (快播)

Arakan
May 10, 2008

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/shanghai/transportation/pudong-airport-bus.htm

First one. There's also buses from around town if you wanna chill in the city at all

Arakan
May 10, 2008

庞然大物

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

And please translate your Chinese to maintain harmony.

Most All of it just means penis

Arakan fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jan 18, 2014

Arakan
May 10, 2008

As long as you lawyer up and get that release letter you should be able to go to HK and apply for a new Z with your new company. Just make sure they put HK on the forms for where you will be applying. You're not gonna be able to stay in country between jobs though.

Actually I lied. It's possible that your lawyer can try to force them to transfer your RP to your new employer, instead of just releasing you, but uhh hope you find a good lawyer to get a lovely employer to do that.

FearCotton posted:

Go home, change your passport number, and come back at the end of New Year.

Don't do this nonsense though

Arakan fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 21, 2014

Arakan
May 10, 2008

GuestBob posted:

gently caress are you doing up and posting at 0600?

Like I would be awake at 6, in America til next month.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

You guys are so loving melodramatic my goodness. Step 1 consult your lawyer, step 2 don't take anyone's advice in this thread.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

What makes you think a shady language mill is going to immediately go to the PSB and cancel your RP, particularly if they are contacted by a lawyer on your behalf? Especially if either the contract you signed was in clear breach of the law and/or they have been breaching said contract. I really hope you have contacted that lawyer by now though.

Ceciltron posted:

edit: So I really should leave, huh? I wish it hadn't come to this, but I was really convinced that my boss was going to call the police on me and have me evicted.

It really depends when you contacted the lawyer and what the lawyer said. If you still haven't and don't want to then welp, you aren't going to be able to navigate this process on your own.

Arakan fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 22, 2014

Arakan
May 10, 2008

According to that chinalawblog website you have 30 days to leave after they cancel your RP. That's much longer than I thought so you guys should be even less dramatic about things. And again all you (your lawyer) have to lean on them for is a release letter during this time period if you want to work somewhere else. You will have to make a visa run though because obviously at this point you aren't going to get them to transfer your RP.

Arakan fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 22, 2014

Arakan
May 10, 2008

I'm too lazy to go search in Chinese but yea that's the best I could do in English. I also found similar mentions of 30 days on foreigner forums like the Beijinger but I figured the law blog was at least the most reputable of them. I originally thought you had to leave immediately cause when I got those guys deported for assaulting me they had to leave pretty quickly, but I guess that's cause they were criminals at that point or something.

But, canceling/not canceling an RP only matters if you were going to transfer it to a new employer. If he can get a release letter and make a visa run then he should be ok as far as I'm aware. Though I guess there's no telling how hard it will be to get that release letter even with a lawyer.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Why? This way he's going to get out of his bad situation for a few K RMB, instead of being stuck there for another 9 months or whatever.

Ceciltron posted:

The lawyers at the firm said I had a pretty good chance to get a release in exchange for dropping litigation, if I so wanted to threaten such a thing. I'm...more optimistic now.

I don't know how far you want to take it or how good the lawyers think your case is, but I would consider them just doing this and getting a release letter a success.

If they don't take the case will they still send a letter threatening legal action to try and get you released? Because it doesn't need to go all the way to litigation but you will need a release letter if you want to do this:

Ceciltron posted:

On the plus side, I can probably get a lot of the paperwork for a new Z-Visa started here.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

goldboilermark posted:

Also quickly the contract can not be illegal. It is first filed with the government when you are applying for your Z visa. If it were illegal you wouldn't have received a Z visa. So I have no idea what that means.

Good luck.

This would imply that the people at the visa office are taking the time to cross check every applicants' contract with all written labor laws.

Ceciltron posted:

They also filed a different contract to get my visa than the one they made me sign when I arrived. The differences between the two are minor but it's still something amiss.

Well yea they need a Chinese one to submit. If you didn't sign a Chinese copy of your contract pretty sure you didn't actually sign a contract that was submitted for your visa.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Hope you're saving all those texts and/or forwarding them to your lawyer if you do decide to take this case all the way to court (or you can just use them as extra ammunition for settling as well). Has your lawyer contacted her at all? It seems crazy that she would continue to break the law through text message if she knows you've been talking to a lawyer, but welp can't underestimate the stupidity of some people.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

http://www.51labour.com/zhuanti/2007ldht/html/Pagel1-8.asp

Here's a good English translation of labor law so you guys can see how many times your employers have been breaking the law (hint: a lot)

Arakan
May 10, 2008

GuestBob posted:

Also, what's this "Trade Union" I keep reading about?

I guess this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-China_Federation_of_Trade_Unions

Maybe we should get a bunch of foreigners together and try to join

Arakan
May 10, 2008

What was the point of switching visas? Does this mean you've been released or you still have to sue her to release you so you can get another job?

^Criminal background check requirement hasn't made it to many cities afaik, thought it was just Beijing still.

Arakan fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 29, 2014

Arakan
May 10, 2008

You're not going to be able to reenter on a Z unless you sue for release, unless I missed the part where your employer gave you a release letter already (is that why you switched to a tourist visa I was unclear on that part?)

Ceciltron posted:

can this be used to bar me from re-entry to the country? Or should I wait until I return and am employed to begin litigation?

Your new Z visa application is going to be rejected if your employer hasn't released you and you don't sue for release.

Arakan fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 2, 2014

Arakan
May 10, 2008

goldboilermark posted:

The problem is that China isn't just. You don't "take on the system and win!" in China.
This is just you otherizing China, it's not an actual argument. Labor laws protect employees in China more extensively than they do in America. For those not from America it might seem worse in comparison to your home countries though. No one is taking on the system, the court will decide a case of employee vs. employer like they do hundreds of thousands of times (if not millions by this point) a year: http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2009-04/22/content_7701725.htm

goldboilermark posted:

That's just not the way it works. No one cares if you feel that someone owes you overtime. This is all about OVERTIME. This isn't about getting hit by a car and having life-changing surgery and breaking your bank account. This is literally about a few hours of extra pay that you did not receive. And you're going to take down some lady over this?
The law is clear about how and when overtime must be paid, and the penalties for breaching it. The courts certainly do care if someone owes you overtime and has not paid it as can be seen by the large quantity of people bringing labor disputes to the courts since the implementation of new labor laws in 2008

goldboilermark posted:

There are schools in Tianjin that simply DO NOT PAY PEOPLE and no on sues them. Like literally there is an international school that is months behind paying people, doesn't pay people their last paycheck and doesn't give them the bonus they promised, as well as a flight home. But no one sues them. People just leave and move on with their lives, because no one wants to get involved in the freakin' Chinese legal system. It's a complete and total mess. But you already lawyered up and went down that path, so just keep skipping along and see what happens I suppose
So your argument is, "The foreigners I know are unaware of their rights as protected by Chinese labor law and the legal recourse available to them if their employers breaks said labor law". Ok then, but not all of us want to forego exercising our legally protected rights.

Do you see how none of the things you post are in any way based on law or factual evidence and do not help further the discourse at all? Because it's like the fifth time you've posted the same thing in slightly different words.

Pipe down, the adults are speaking now.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

goldboilermark posted:

It looks like you have a bunch of statistics. I have obviously seen very negative experiences. I am happy you have your statistics, really, that's wonderful stuff, but I am going to go with what I have seen happen over blog postings and articles from 2009. We can agree to disagree.

How many foreigners have you seen sue their employer with just cause and lose?

GuestBob posted:

So you have hair down there these days, eh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xlMnrd54V8&t=57s

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Ceciltron posted:

Some of the sights are really quite impressive and nice, but this year's theme, "cartoons of the world" was really weird and confusing.

It was all anime wasn't it

Arakan
May 10, 2008

For all NA-Asia flights you get the old grizzled veteran flight attendants. Doing like 3-4 round trips gives them all the hours they need for a whole month so every flight attendant tries to get on these routes, and they give them out based on seniority. And I've not been on a single flight with free booze in economy on any airline in any country, guess I'm missing out :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arakan
May 10, 2008

There's about the same anti Japanese sentiment in China as there is anti Muslim sentiment in America. The people who buy into their government's propaganda dislike them, and the people who can think for themselves are indifferent.

It's not like you're going to miss out on any positive interactions by not telling them you are part Japanese though so best if you just don't bring it up