Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Interviewed with a company an alumni friend recommended for TESOL work in Beijing. Any quick tips for what I should expect for the Fall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Anyone going to be in Beijing in June? I'm going to be there for a TESOL job starting then. :toot:

Any reaction by Chinese folks on Americans re: Trump besides the apparent idolization of Ivanka?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Booked my ticket! :toot: Accounting for the time zone difference, I should get to Beijing on May 31st.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Jeoh posted:

maybe going away is the gift to them and they're just reciprocating

:drat:

Any recommendations on jiaozi or dim sum restaurants/cool bars for when I arrive in Beijing? I have about a week to get myself settled before the program I'm on starts, so I'm excited to do some exploration when I get there.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

caberham posted:

Bao yuan jiaozi is pretty good. And I tried shi's too. One is more of a restaurant and the other a late night stop. Wanna come to goon meet Thursday night?
Add my wechat caberham

Sure, that sounds great! I should be able to get my bearings relatively quickly, just need to figure out what my first week's schedule is going to look like. :)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Goon question: are there internet lounges in China where you can rent time to play video games (eg Overwatch) like in Korea?

I'm not bringing my desktop PC (it's rather old now and I should build a new one anyways), but I'd like to do some gaming every now and then while I'm over there. :shobon:

Also, for further into the future: is it recommended to build a PC in China, given how viruses are apparently rampant on Chinese LANs? Can you order computer parts from, say, Taiwan or Japan and have them shipped to the mainland to build yourself? It's not an immediate concern, just curious.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

fart simpson posted:

Why the heck would you order parts from Japan and import them?

I dunno, better reputation for quality of manufacturing I guess? v:v:v

Obviously I don't know diddly about ordering electronics in the mainland, but it's something I'll figure out. I'm still used to American voltage and prongs as it is.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Flying out on Tuesday morning. :toot:

A short gate change in DC-Dulles then it's off to Beijing-PEK!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

peanut posted:

English summer camp hiring season is right now !.! They're desperate! You can find a temporary position and get paid and get laid. Visa sponsorship is... idk. They usually hire Working Holiday or current teachers on summer break or finishing a contract. Or don't ask don't tell on a tourist visa.
My friend just got hired by an English immersion camp thingy. It pays less than her eikaiwa job but offers free dorms and meals, so she'll have more in-pocket.

If this is directed towards me, then I already have a teaching job lined up for the summer. Thanks though! :)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm heading out tomorrow morning for a short 2-day trip in Shanghai coming from Beijing. I'm keeping this casual, so trying not to pack my itinerary full of things to do. Anything particularly interesting or cool to see that's not Disneyland? :v:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

TheReverend posted:

When I lived there, briefly

Xintendi

Tanzifang

One of the skyscraper tours of that interests you. Jin Mao has an okay bar at the top. Pearl is meh. Financial center is meh. Shanghai tower at least has 45 mph elevators and is the tallest.

Yu gardens is okay I guess. Too crowded.

People's square is okay.

Jing An is okay.

I dunno, hang out on the bund at night?

Shanghai has all the terrible elements of China without the 5000 years of history. It's just Chinese New York.

45 MPH elevators sound pretty cool. People keep recommending Yu Gardens too. I don't drink alcohol so I don't really care about the bars, but maybe cool to hang out at and enjoy the view?

Bund is a definite for me. The China terribleness is what makes it all a fun adventure for me and why I legitimately enjoy it here, otherwise I wouldn't have stayed for almost 4 years now. :cheeky: Thanks for the tips.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Cross-posting here for hopefully more direct China advice:

Apparently weed has been legalized in Thailand these days? If I were to consume cannabis once during a tourism trip there then head back to China, would it be detected in a drug test while going through customs coming back into China? China seems to detain/deport people for use of cannabis outside of its borders, but I don't know how likely a random drug test at the airport would be without reasonable cause besides "foreigner went to Thailand for tourism". Not even sure if it's worth loving around and finding out in this regard since I've been here for several years now/built up Chinese fluency etc and don't really want to risk all of that just over a happy pizza.

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/xEXxWxzdWc3CDpq1gDirAA

Tl;Dr how "random" is a random drug test at customs entering China? Would it be better to just stick to drinking on a vacation trip abroad?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Okay good to know, thanks.

I'm hoping to take a trip to Chengdu for a few days sometime this year. Any recommendations for what to see and do while visiting? I'm especially interested in trying out the spiciest food on offer while there.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Amergin posted:

Gonna be back in Kunming for a couple months this summer.

Are Expressveepeen and Nordveepeen the preferred Great Firewall combatants at this point? Last I checked it seemed like free tunnels were getting whack-a-mole'd pretty quick.

Astrill, no contest.

Express used to be kind of okay, but completely poo poo the bed last Fall when China was having Covid-related protests and never came back. Totally unusable now.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Long-term Goon China expat here. Yeah, I can also PM and send the Wechat QR code if you need it.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Hackjack posted:

This is 大众點評 (DaZhong DianPing).
Many restaurants even have the thing where you scan in the app and they give you a free snack or drink.

Yeah, it's also like Groupon in that you can get certain 1-person/4-person etc set meals on there for a discounted price.

E: BTW the simplified form is 大众点评

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...re_iOSApp_Other

Central government apparently pumping the brakes a bit to keep the economy accessible to the elderly and foreign visitors.