Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
China thread, I have a China question. I sometimes go to very authentic Chinese restaurants here that are so authentic that I have no idea what my Chinese friends are ordering, let alone what specific type of cuisine the place is - I just say, "IS IT SICHUAN?" and they say, "No." and I sigh.

Recently, we were at one of these places run by really nice a Taiwanese immigrant and once the table and he got into Mandarin I was totally lost, but out came something I can only describe as a sandwich wrap. I recognize that sandwich wrap is unlikely to be a loanword in English, so I'm wondering if, by that kooky description, someone can identify it? Thing was excellent.

Essentially, it seemed like a fairly sturdy flour crepe (I'm trying not to say tortilla here, okay), with thin slices of beef wrapped inside along with maybe strips of white onion and something like coriander. Oh and it was served with some kind of dipping sauce, I think. Either that or the dipping sauce was for something else and I ate it anyway, like a Thai person putting ketchup on all Western food or my dad with soy sauce.

Does this ring a bell?

SANDWICH WRAP

\/\/\/ I don't know what LAN is, heh. I think I may have found the thing working through your search results. In English it seems to be called a "Shandong Beef Roll" which is probably at least one guy's name for his penis. Anyone know the approximate transliteration of this name? Because if I go into a Chinese restaurant in Thailand and order a "Shandong Beef Roll" it's going to end with me using Thai loanwords like "sanwit" and gesticulating a lot.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jul 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

caberham posted:

whoa :aaa: Please don't get banned, SE asian travel thread is informative!
Eh, I shouldn't have pointed it out. I mean in Asia no one would blink twice at it, and of course he's just concern trolling, but I should've remembered that for Americans everything is either RAHOWA or SJW.

I started to point out to him that a few years ago the NTSB cited Americans being huge fatasses as the cause of a crash that resulted in the FAA changing the weight estimates for American passengers, but I figured I'd drop it.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Magna Kaser posted:

I don't know what any of these acronyms mean.
If you can tell me the transliterated word for a Shandong Beef Roll, I'll give you the secret of space.

EDIT:

Magna Kaser posted:

I don't know what any of these acronyms mean.

e:

Did it look like these? This is a Taiwanese style "Dan Bing" 蛋饼. It's usually wrapped around meat and served with a dipping sauce. Mainland 蛋饼 is totally different.
That looks good actually, but what I've had a couple of times is definitely this:

I love food photos where you can see the other person taking a food photo in the food photo. It makes the circle of life complete.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jul 10, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
It's almost as if the SHANDONG BEEF ROLL isn't available in China. I'll have to go get the drat name for all you Chinaboos!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Excellent! So, to round this all out, is there a transliteration that I can pronounce being uneducated in the deciphering of hieroglyphs? It would be much appreciated :)

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Artist 1: Will they believe the teeth?
Artist 2: We have our orders.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
How can they possibly expect to sell that without little LVs emblazoned across the castle and characters' clothing?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Mongolia appears to be China's Indian reservation from what I can see here. Can you gamble legally and then buy crappy jewelry and comfortable shoes?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

DontAskKant posted:

It seems the thing to do is hire a driver or rent a motorcycle. I'm too cheap for a driver, don't know anyone there, and I don't know how to ride a motorcycle and riding and camping alone in the countryside doesn't sound wise.

I live in Seoul so Ulaanbataar might not be too bad, but I don't want to spend 9 days there.

Might save it for a trip with a buddy next year.
I've met a few people over the years who did that whole trekking thing where you go with some Mongolians on horseback and sleep in tents. The universal thing I've taken away from these stories is that everyone gets really sick of fried dough, sleeping in yurts, yak butter and fermented mare's milk by the end of the trip.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Bring a box of Marlboro Reds and a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black. Job is yours.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

DontAskKant posted:

The bigger shock is... The Chinese can swim? I don't think I know any Koreans who can.
No one has yet invented the parasol that can be mounted to your back while you swim to cover you from the sun.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Arglebargle III posted:

I dunno. I've never been to a work party where people use their company authority to force other people to drink while they watch. I guess it might happen but I've never seen it in the U.S. and I have in fact been to company parties where people drink. I have also been to company events where this doesn't happen in China.
US and China, pretty much identical. Everyone's boss back home forces them to chug airplane fuel at parties and fucks all the new secretaries. I've seen Mad Men, I know how it is today in 2013 America!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Baijiu should have instructions printed on the bottle about pouring it through a loaf of bread to strain it first.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

VideoTapir posted:

Unless this agent came recommended to you by someone you trust and have good reason to trust, they're probably looking to screw you. Agents are scum.
Yes. They jack up prices in addition to the other issues. People are always on about fees - their fee is based on rent. It's their job to jack up the rent.

You guys must have the local telephone poll and cork board posting thing there.

Private Snowball posted:

So after 2 years in China I returned home to the West for my summer holiday. This place is strange and everyone is fat.
7 years on, my biggest realization on my last trip was, "Holy poo poo, there is a TV every 5 feet everywhere you go and no matter what activity people are engaged in, they're staring blankly at a TV."

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Aug 7, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
It varies by your specific connection sometimes, but the largely accurate rule in Asia is that international pipes to stuff in the States and Europe aren't so hot. This varies widely by country. As well, remember to keep a US bank account and credit card, because all kinds of territorial poo poo (like PayPal and iTunes) is keyed to the nationality of your bank account. Amazingly, companies like PayPal even make you open two accounts - yes, two accounts - with the same name and everything if you have a funding or deposit source from a different country.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Isn't he moving here to work as a game developer? This whole conversation is entertaining.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
That much of the discussion for the last few posts is about pirated games. I don't find this controversial living in the region, just entertaining.

On a related note, I wonder if the Chinese gaming companies steal foreign gaming IP as studiously as Chinese heavy industry steals that kind of IP. I don't mean copying discs, I mean absconding with the IP internal to development.

EDIT: "so" entertaining would be overstating. In the SE Asia thread we have a guy who is lugging giant infected balls around to various quacks who keep mud diagnosing him, so there are levels to this stuff.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 8, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Thanks for the info Magna!

Magna Kaser posted:

And don't forget the Chinese classic fighting game, Dong Dong Never Die.
This is loving hilarious, Jesus.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

VideoTapir posted:

Cloud computing, assuming they can suck enough govt cock to ensure quality of service

Custom business software and...what do you call it when you get a contractor to spec poo poo out and set it all up for you.

Services over products, I'm guessing. It seems to work for Linux companies.
It'll be interesting to see how this works out. India's had some success with (crap) products like Zoho and I'm sure others I don't know about. Has China had any yet?

My first thought about China would be that no foreign business would use Chinese-hosted cloud/SAAS apps. Also that the Chinese themselves wouldn't for the same reason, heh. If I were them, though, I'd go after the cloud CRM sector. It's horrendously bad and Salesforce dominance is a testament to just how bad it is.

The problem I've run into in Asia - and not just Thailand - is that technology adoption of things like this that reduce cost and increase productivity is really tough because, "Oh, we already have Office" or whatever combined with an understandable distrust of hosted solutions in a world where technology is often iffy and the pesky issue of every manager just throwing cheap labor at problems. Change Management is a bitch of a field anywhere, but even getting existing large companies to evaluate changing over to more efficient, cloud based stuff in Asia has seemed like a real uphill battle. I have a friend who does this and makes quite a bit of money - almost all of it from Singapore and Australia.

He's got a few clients here and there around Asia, but even with localization it's a really hard sell. The "throw more bodies at it" mindset for solving productivity is just too strong. I'll have to ask him if he's ever had any clients in China. I know he has in either Taiwan or Hong Kong, though.

EDIT: Oops, relevance, the friend's SAAS product is related specifically to project management in technology, so obviously not applicable to a number of markets in Asia. China would be one, though.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Aug 9, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Bloodnose posted:

Cathay is my favorite airline that flies out of HK for anything. But even setting that aside, I would not choose Hong Kong Airlines because they will literally cause you to explode and die.
Service and everything's good. Livery is aging, but comfortable enough and seems to mostly have IFE on long haul in economy, albeit a bit dated in my experience.

Catchment and marketing, though, has made Auntie Pacific the Hong Kong baby formula of airlines.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Malaysia is fine, it gets good marks. Basically, most Asian flag carriers or major Asian carriers north of Indonesia are fine as long as they're not tiny, poor countries that shouldn't really have an airline. If you're flying Singapore, THAI, Malaysian, Cathay, JAL, ANA, Korea, EVA and so on you're going to have an experience that's 100,000 times better than every single American airline experience you've had and you will quickly understand why every American who lives abroad says, "Never fly an American legacy carrier - especially internationally." Don't fly Indonesia- or Philippines-based carriers for safety reasons (it takes a lot of work to get banned from EU/US), that's where the "North of Indonesia" comment comes from. Obviously there are some major carrier stinkers, especially in the more established economies up North like Taiwan and China.

On a side note, this is a list everyone should keep handy:
http://maphappy.org/2012/07/wine-the-ultimate-list-of-airlines-that-serve-free-alcohol/

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 21, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, Singapore really is the single best airline in the world and it's obvious why once you fly. I mean when you get to the Etihad-Singapore level the distinction is pretty small, but compared to a US carrier? Yeah.

You nailed the major thing. When you're spending 14-20 hours on a plane, service and things start to matter a lot. I used to take the direct flight from Bangkok to LA on THAI's long haul A340-500s and that was like 19 hours one way. If I'd had to take that on United I would've killed myself shortly after killing most of the horrendous cabin crew, but with a THAI cabin crew and policies it was completely tolerable. I've also done Singapore "direct" (which doesn't mean non-stop) from Singapore to Houston, which just happens to stop in Moscow. Obviously an energy industry route. Like 26 hours in a single plane with one brief deboarding in Moscow. Still, such great service and staff and food and IFE that who cares?

ELBOWS AND KNEES HON! WATCH OUT! CART COMIN' THROUGH!

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 21, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Eat This Glob posted:

After all that airline chat, I don't think I saw anyone mention the line I'll be flying: Hainan Airlines. Tickets bought and paid for, so I'm not going to be able to change that, but what can I expect for service? The longest stretch of flight is from Seattle to Beijing, and that's on an Airbus A330. Is my doughy, goony rear end going to be sardine canned into 10 inch wide seats?
I drank a shitload of beer with an American who flies for them a few months back in Phnom Penh. Leaving aside service, he had a very interesting take on things. He'd flown for Southwest and America West for like 20 years. I asked if it was sketchy and he said, "It's really the other way around. Here they're not micromanaging gate arrival times and poo poo and they're afraid of ending up in the news for a crash, so they're always like 'hey if you need to go around, go around, no problem' and it's a total 180 from the US pilot culture."

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Chinese soups are the worst in that regard. If I ever again get someone smiling as they hand me a big bowl of black chicken (entire carcass, blackened) soup or the like, I swear. Also, what is the Asian (general) obsession with sticking objects too large to fit in your mouth in a soup? That drives me bonkers. Why have I got a vegetable that's 3 inches long and 1 inch in circumference in my soup bowl? Why is there an entire chicken leg? :argh: There's not a plate to cut it on and a knife and a fork, so can we just have bite-sized poo poo in our soup?

My other favorite - and I'm sure you guys have this too - are the soups with multiple ingredients that you're supposed to know not to eat. Like bamboo shoots or galanga or whatever. What genius came up with leaving that poo poo in the soup? Eating soups here is like a Candid Camera moment.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Aug 26, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

MeramJert posted:

Protip the black chickens are called Silkies and they literally have black skin, they're not blackened
Query: They are still black and pretty much the entire carcass is in the soup, correct? Bonus points for not saying "It depends on the chef, some just use the head and..."

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Arglebargle III posted:

Don't be racist about chickens. They're black because they're born that way.
Heh. I just ask because I grew up in rural America around black-feathered chickens and they had white skin and bones like every other chicken.

Arglebargle III posted:

Also where do people serve you soup with inedible bamboo?
Thailand, The Philippines, Cambodia, probably other places. Also galanga, kaffir lime leaves and various other things you're not supposed to actually chew and eat.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

caberham posted:

all the inedible parts
I think we may have hit upon the problem there Hop Sing. In my culture, feet be inedible and stuff. Also heads and entire pangolins and so on!

EDIT: Also, when are you flying back through dirty Asia and not pretending to lose your phone upon falling in love with a waitress for the weekend? I AM JUST SAYING.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

DontAskKant posted:

eat ... pizza with chopsticks
Truly, the aliens walk among us and you shall know them by their pizza-eating habits.

EDIT:

systran posted:

I just use the plastic gloves that I wear to eat sandwiches when I eat pizza.
It continues.

caberham posted:

I do want to go to SE Asia, but I'm itching for Singapore. Yes, I know I'm boring :rolleyes:
You should try Hat Yai or Trang or Nakhon Si Thammarat for the Southern Thai food, which is why (ADMIT IT) you're going to Singapore. Southern Thai Food being a local translation of the phrase, "Chinese food mixed with curries and spicy poverty cuisine that is awesome." The major cities down there are straight out of Penang. Red chairs and tables, teapots on every table, awesome roast pig and duck (etc), homemade noodles and so on. Dim sum places are packed for breakfast. It's bizarre coming from Bangkok.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 26, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Was the chain attached to a bowl, atop which the chopsticks were perched just so?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I was going to guess "filled with cigarette butts with a turd on top" but that works.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I suppose World On Fire would be right out.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

VideoTapir posted:

Maybe, but the baseline that you're getting better from is "flying United."
Yeah, "Flight attendant didn't yell 'elbows and knees, hon!' as she rammed the drink cart through the cabin charging $5 a beer. so it was a pretty good flight" is like a run of the mill piece of UA praise.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

caberham posted:

Tacky cheesy names make me sick :barf: Especially when you have names like Beijing Beverly Hills or something stupid.
Can you top Brad Pitt House? A lovely condo in Bangkok? Probably re-named now, but it was there for a while.

http://www.ajarnforum.net/vb/houses-apartments-and-condos/26476-brad-pitt-house-thong-lo-bkk.html

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

VideoTapir posted:

Sometimes I think I'm the only person in China who can read one.

Then I remember that most of the people I went to Basic Training with couldn't read a map either, and I sneer at the Chinese a little less.
I'm glad to hear the map thing is a pan-Asian phenomenon. Cardinal directions are another personal favorite. Somehow people can know what a southern province is and what southern food is, but if you ask them which direction South is, totally lost.

What's the most common direction landmark for the majority of people in China? Here it's the millions of local temples, but I'm guessing it's something different there.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

VideoTapir posted:

Hahaha, you think Chinese people navigate by landmarks.
Or at least I asked, heh. I have no idea, when I was there I just pointed at matching characters a lot.

caberham posted:

That's not true in mainland. If you ask for directions, they tell you X meters and then point North/South/East/West like some boy scout. Which is really weird instead of listing by street intersections and street blocks
Impressive! Up there in cold Asia things seem to be a little more planned comparatively.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

VideoTapir posted:

In China they navigate by guanxi.
Bangkokians, particularly Thai-Chinese, are the same. "Okay, so head to the Rama V Bridge and the-" "Let me call my uncle." A daisy-chain of 14 relative referrals ensues as I point, "It's that way, just head toward the Goddamn river, Jesus. There's only one."

I dunno if you guys have the phenomenon, but her, basically, Bangkok is a world unto itself where people only know their way around 2-3 neighborhoods and are completely perplexed by every single thing outside of those areas. Your older cities (and newer) are pretty large, I can imagine some people who grew up in a time when they never got out of the neighborhood and who are truly perplexed by everything.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

GuestBob posted:

Said was wrong, the Orient is genuinely vast and unknowable.
Khalidi updated this to the common, present-day understanding that he was referring to The Oriental, on the river, in Bangkok.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Arglebargle III posted:

The inveterate Chinese response. Something happened? Look! The west is bad! You really have assimilated.
I netted about $3K on a wire transfer and won a debate with a Chinese financial adviser here specifically by not listening to the usual, "Yeah, but this time it's real because look how we're the future and the West is failing so the currency will only get stronger..." stuff. Now the special lady friend listens to me when it comes to markets.

Homerism is homerism, regardless of your nationality. Rumors of QDE2 ending are exactly why many currencies took a dive for a month or so. The US may be a hated market for financial partners post-9/11 and FACTA, but it pumps a gently caress ton of money into economies around the world via the banks that receive all the free money. When there's a hint that the US bank investments are going to reverse course and flow back upstream it has a huge effect internationally. Time things by perceptions of that, for now, and you can make a pile, basically.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The boonies is always the best place to live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

GuestBob posted:

"Golf Course" is a public school euphemism for "Brothel" by the way.
:lol: