Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

kenner116 posted:

Guy typing pinyin with tone marks

I think you're the first person to do this in all of the China threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I'm going to bring back the "x" to represent a word repeating:

A: nǐ de bǎox tài kěài le!
B: nǎli nǎli, tā bú gòu pàng.
A: bú yòng kèqi, nǐ yīnggai shuō, "xièx."

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

If I had a time machine I would probably go back in time and prevent Wade and later Giles from ever stepping foot in China.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Trammel posted:

It's amazing how often "No, it's not possible", actually means "No, I can't be bothered".

My job in the US requires doing visa stuff for Chinese people. You can't imagine how annoying this is for me. "Sorry, but the thing you are asking me to do breaks the immigration law in the US and I also physically cannot even make the document for you because the date has passed."

Then they email my boss, her boss, and the head of the whole organization saying poo poo like, "In china the visa process very troublesome, so I think you should help me to speeding up the process and give me my documents please."

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

At that point I would be tempted to go on my personal email and tell the person "This is a cultural difference, I am required to keep asking you to ignore your deadlines. Please just ignore all of my requests; I am required to make them by my Chinese superiors."

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Reads a bit like Sichuan hua, but maybe I am projecting

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Looks okay but I would be uncomfortable surrounded by orientals

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

How long do you think we have until Mongolia has always been a part of China?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

You can eat like... a million pieces of meat on sticks at roadside BBQ things in rural China for less than $10USD. You have to wait until night time to see those, but they are pretty awesome. The way it usually works is that they give you a tray and you take the raw stuff on sticks and fill the tray. There will be some stuff that is not on a stick, but is still quite good. You then give the tray to the people and they grill it for you (and toss a bunch of MSG and poo poo on it to make it more delicious). After you're finished they will tell you how much it costs. If you don't speak Chinese, in rural Hebei I doubt they will be able to communicate with you unless they are quite young or you can find an educated person nearby. You pretty much should just eat whatever the gently caress you want and then let them tell you how much it costs. It shouldn't be more than 100RMB (~$16USD) no matter what, even if you had three or four beers, so don't let them rip you off. I have memories of paying kind of a lot (for China) on BBQ, but it's probably when I ate this massive plate and had a bunch of beers with it, but even then I don't think I ever exceeded 100 RMB. This was also in Chongqing, not rural Henan.

Eating lots of crazy poo poo at BBQ is awesome, sometimes you will even find BBQ pig brain, which believe it or not is actually very good and doesn't even look very disgusting. I would avoid the seafood if you're not on the coast though, it's usually pretty awful at the BBQ stands. I'm sure the meat quality isn't really that great either, but it definitely tastes good.

A bowl of noodles will be around 1-3 USD. Two or so full dishes at a non-fancy sit down restaurant will be less than 5 USD.

Food is super cheap in China so you can basically eat whatever you want and not stress about money.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

quote:

but if there's some novelty in a pack of Marlboros, I'd be happy to trade some smokes off for some of the local tobacco if they'll enjoy them.

You will gain massive amounts of face for doing this. Having American cigarettes in China is like bringing a bag of candy into a kindergarten class.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

BadAstronaut posted:

So Netflix doesn't work so well over there then?

Among other things. When I warned you about getting too excited about China, this is one of those things. You can't really expect to use the internet exactly like you do at home, even with a good VPN. It's not like when you go from the US to Germany or something and can open up your laptop without thinking and do whatever you want.

In first tier cities this seems a lot less of an issue, but even then don't expect to just leisurely browse around Youtube in 1080p and don't expect Dropbox to sync seamlessly over your phone. Public wifi is generally rare. For instance the school I taught at, in 2009, had no form of wifi network on campus.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

You're basically going to have to just get a flash cart and pirate games. I never saw a DS game in China because they would just offer to hook you up with a flash cart. Even when you try to buy a PS3 game at the store, they will tell you, "I can mod your PS3 for you instead and put all these games on it." Piracy in China is done without a second thought making "real games" or "real movies" pretty sparse and overpriced.

Vocab for this:

正版 - Zheng4ban3. Legit copy.
盗版 - Dao4ban3. Pirated copy.

If you say you want to buy any form of software, they will usually assume you mean a pirated one. Sometimes they may ask, 你要盗版还是正版的?

Pirated movies are usually complete poo poo quality, like 320p screencaps.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

quote:

Caberham's pick is the Wynn(best mattress)

I read this and think, "I thought this was Caberham posting..." I then look up to see who it is instead. O, it's Caberham.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I just use the plastic gloves that I wear to eat sandwiches when I eat pizza.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Rogue posted:

how to differentiate/speak words starting with x/j/q/ch/sh/zh?

I just made a big post in the language thread about that.

quote:

"I see he bought yogurt today. He didn't buy yogurt yesterday."

This defines being a foreigner in China.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Tom Smykowski posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone here does that about everyone. At least in the building I live in, constant gossip about every possible thing.

My parents-in-law do this poo poo all the time, I start to think that "他“ actually means “你”。

Several plates are laid out on the table, I grab the beans first, "他吃菜!他不吃肉。“ I chew the beans quickly, wanting to grab some of the pork next so that I can prove them wrong. "他不喝汤么?“ It goes on and on like this until I have eaten every single thing on the table. Whatever I eat the least of is commented on non-stop, as if I can't hear them, and when I finally finish eating they tell my wife “他吃了不够,没吃包了!”

"我吃包了,真的。[name of something]我特别喜欢。“

”哎呀,他吃了不够。“

Then it's time to go out in the middle of summer.

"石康(me)!" *mother-in-law hands me a jacket*

I say, "今天很热,32度,我不穿。“

my wife says, "妈妈,他一直不穿夹克。他很喜欢冷的天气。”

“哎哟,感冒了。“

Then they force my wife to wear a jacket. We are walking outside and the sun is beating down on us, my wife is sweating and takes her jacket off and has to carry it around. I clear my throat, and my father-in-law says, "感冒了。“

We visit four different relatives' houses, all give us water melons and other fruits full of seeds. I eat watermelon in the first house, and don't want to eat more watermelon in the second house. Everyone comments on how “美国人不吃水果吗?” In the third house they tell the relatives "他不喜欢吃西瓜。“

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

My in-laws are from a super small town and are so traditional Chinese. To their credit they are really nice to me when they are actually talking to me directly and the whole fussing about everything is at least trying to help me even though it annoys the poo poo out of me. They don't actually speak Mandarin so imagine everything I typed in some goofy Shandong dialect.

They want us to have a kid since we have been married for several months already and my wife is unemployed, so that is clearly the best time to have a kid. Every time we talk about our dog, who we think is just awesome, they tell us to get rid of it so we can have a kid.

石康,你对牛牛(our dog) 的爱情,以后给小宝宝的。。。恩,就行。 Mother-in-law then says, "狗很脏,不要宝宝生病了啊! 明年生孩子!“

My wife and I say nothing, and then for the rest our visit people keep telling us "下一次带宝宝吧," to which my mother-in-law informs them, "明年了!他门还要等几个月啊!” which is news to us because we have no plans to have kids for the next several years.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

gently caress, I thought this was the CHINA! thread :( There is no way I'm going to go back and translate all that poo poo. Basically they comment nonstop on what I am eating as I eat it, say I'm not eating enough. Then they ask me to wear a jacket and I tell them it's a hot summer day and they say I'll catch a cold. If I make any noise from my throat they say "He caught a cold!" Then they force feed me watermelons and when I finally stop eating them they say, "Americans don't eat fruit!"

Also I must kill my dog and have a human baby.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g294212-d1114202-Reviews-GreenTree_Inn_Beijing_Yizhuang_Business_Hotel-Beijing.html

I stayed here like three years ago and found it pretty decent. It's in An Zhen Xi Li (I think that's what it's called) which I found to be a pretty chill neighborhood with cheap places nearby to eat.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Yeah I figured more people would post better stuff, but I just wanted to throw out my experience to give him some options. Definitely BEWARE.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I can just imagine Chinese people walking around Auschwitz or Dachau asking people, "Do you know Nanjing?"

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I took it like three months ago. It was pretty drat smooth and took as long as it said. There was the expected shoving within the station but there was way less seat haggling and dipshit behavior than I was used to going from Chongqing to Chengdu.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

种族: 老外(白: #FFCC99)

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Speaking of in-laws etc.

The longer red line represents the amount of effort I have already expended to be able to communicate with my wife's family. The small red line represents the amount of effort they need to put in to communicate with me (and don't).

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Should I also not have posted this stuff in this thread? I honestly never really know the difference between the threads beyond, "Don't post chinese without translations or totally stupid poo poo" in this thread. I was trying to continue the conversation so I didn't switch to the other thread.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I felt combative all the time in China as well, and I never thought of needing medication for it.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Well if you cured your own meat and bought medicine balls from scrapyards you'd have enough capital to start your WFOE

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

bad day posted:

Again, I want to stress learn how to use pptv/pps/youkou and search for titles in Chinese - things usually have different names but if you set Google to Chinese and search the English name the Chinese name will pop up in the sidebar. It's free, everything you would want to watch on iplayer/hulu/netflix is online, usually faster than those services get things up. I am a lifelong torrent user and have basically stopped because almost everything I want to see is available streaming on one of these 3 platforms.

Do they have HD poo poo yet? I was in China last year but didn't stream anything, when I last lived there in 2009, if you pressed HD on Youku it switched from 240p to 320p

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I work as a visa advisor, but I still can't tell you this definitively because the system is such poo poo. For filling out the AR-11, we give our incoming students (who are on F-visas) a sheet that tells them:

quote:

If you have OPT, your A# (also known as USCIS#) is located on your OPT card. If you do not have OPT, you do not have an A#/USCIS#. Type in "000000000" if you cannot leave it blank.

I think you only get an A# if you are being paid in some way, or if you start applying for a green card. "OPT" in the above quote is mentioning "Optional Practical Training," where students get jobs after they graduate. You don't automatically get an A# when you come into the U.S.

This conflicts with the advice on the E-Verify Help site which tells you that the Registration Number is the A#. I'm looking at an F1 visa that was issued on December 24th, 2013, and it DOES NOT match the one on that site. The visa I have here has a "control number," rather than a registration number, and it's 14 digits, which will not fit in the A# field.

What kind of visa did you bring your spouse/friends in on? Is it just a B-visa? What kind of number does it have on the visa stamp? I unfortunately advise mostly on J-1 visas, somewhat on F-1 visas, and only in passing on B-visas, so I can't give you great advice if they are here as tourists. I'm guessing they don't actually have an A# at this point, but they probably will get assigned one in Orlando like he said.

You probably don't want to put some random number that you think might be the A# onto Green Card application forms, because then you'll just delay the process if they mail you back in like two months and tell you, "You need to go to Orlando to get an A#."

It's also worth noting that with immigration stuff, if they mess up they will almost never take responsibility, and you will always have to act as if it was your fault. For instance if they write the wrong visa type on your passport when you enter the country, YOU have to drive up to the nearest port of entry to get it fixed; they will not mail you a new one or do anything to make up for their mistake.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Good info, Sheep, I never deal with immigrant visas at all :D

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

jiji suiran hao da, dansi jimmyballs hao xiao oh

edit: His dick is mad big, but his jimmyballs are oh so small

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 18, 2014

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I've installed this chrome plugin: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/downworthy/pkaoiecplgdldkfihclpndbakokopjde

Now I get to see this:

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

goldboilermark posted:

About a month ago our bathroom was out of toilet paper. I went and told our floor handyman and he said "I don't know".

My response "I know you didn't know, but I just recently finished telling you. Now, you know."

He then told me "It's not my job."

We chatted about his job for about 20 seconds, he had to get up from smoking his cig and Figuratively Doing Nothing, and he called the front desk to get us new toilet paper.

I then went out of the building to go to Starbucks to go to the bathroom. While I was leaving the Starbucks, I got on the elevator on 4. It was going down. It got to floor 2. A really, really fat guy tried to get on and as he did he asked "Going down?" A lady grunted. Another girl was smashing the door close button and the elevator closed on the fat guy. He grunted. He then got on and pressed floor 9. The elevator started going down. He did one of those "aaaaaaa? noises.

I left the elevator, laughing, and shaking my head. I walked outside and a little girl, probably about 7, had her underpants and pants down and was pissing on a manhole cover while her grandfather encouraged her.

This was the most :china: day I have had in the last month or so.

I wish there were a blog that posted stories like this every day. So great. Makes me nostalgic for China.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

My wife's family is mostly from a very small town in Shandong. Some of them live in Jinan though. Her parents are pretty well off, but she has some super poor relatives too that live in those communal farm buildings way off in the middle of nowhere.

We got married in the U.S. with a small ceremony, then we went to China a few months later to do the reception stuff. Keep in mind that you're supposed to be doing this in YOUR HOMETOWN, so you are already loving the tradition up by doing the stuff in your wife's hometown anyway (use that as part of your argument).

So what normally happens is you would pay the dowry, but then you would recoup a lot of the cost because the reception would be held in your hometown, and all the hundreds of people you invite would give hongbaos to your parents. More modern is: The guy's parents buy the house, the girl's parents buy all the electronics and furniture and maybe even the car. Since you probably are western and like, buy your own houses and cars, this is maybe not an issue?

I would argue that you do the reception in your wife's hometown, then let her parents just pocket all the hongbaos. That way they get to offset the cost of holding the reception, and also make a good amount of profit. We planned to do this, just let her parents keep all the money, but they were really cool and gave it to her anyway. We got about $10,000 USD because it was a small town.

Her cousin, whose parents are way more rich and live in a big city, got about $100,000 USD from her wedding reception. So basically this reception is a huge potential moneymaker, and you probably don't expect to be turning your marriage into a loving business opportunity, so just tell them they can keep all of the money, and that is the dowry?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

edit: Wrong thread

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

goldboilermark posted:

Here's a ridiculous face story from a few weeks ago.

The first dog I had as a kid died because my mom fed it a chicken bone. It splintered and a shard cut a hole in his stomach. He was an American dog though, so it's expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

The loving dipshit who opens the bus window when the A/C is on in the peak of Chongqing summer is one of the biggest reasons I don't think I could live in China for more than a year at at ime.