Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

william567 posted:

I've arrived here and am set up with China Unicom. Is it just my luck or is prepaid data here just terrible? I signed up with a prepaid card that was like 96 yuan (with 30 for the sim) and I went through the data allowance in an afternoon.

I used China Telecom and 100 kuai would last about a month or so, but I almost always used wifi, so most of that money was texts and phonecalls.

Argle, when I bought internet in China it was always from the guys around the street. Besides sites being blocked and stuff, download speeds were pretty decent. So I guess just go to whoever is down the block from you. I've heard if you get lovely speeds they'll fix it for you, which is all you can really ask for I suppose. It was one of the few things I never had a problem with there, I'm actually getting much slower service in the States right now fwiw. I had my own wireless router but they provided the modem. You'll be downloading torrents in no time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

BadAstronaut posted:

It's a multinational one, with operations in China, US and Europe. I suppose if/once I get the job I'll mention who they are here, unless there's any reason I shouldn't?

I'm guessing EA or Ubisoft. Tell American "Traitor" McGee I say whatup

edit: definitely don't plug your American/Japan Wii power source or DS charger directly into the wall, buy a converter or European power source. Paging Ghost Cockfighter to post about vidya games itt

tacoman165 fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 25, 2013

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Got the job at the international school I posted about a little while back, so I'm just waiting on my visa before I come to live in the picturesque TEDA! Is there any sort of music scene in Tianjin? Given the amount of universities (and the youtube videos of kids doing bad Black Flag covers I found) I kind of hope so.

No, but you'll get to hang out with TWM unless he blows you off to get laid. Enjoy the youtube videos while you can.

edit: I saw Cut Chemist at Yugong Yishan and while the show was amazing he didn't go on until after midnight for a 9PM show (with no opening act) and I had to leave before his set finished cause it was like 3AM and I had work the next day. Wanted to see Peaches at the same venue but it was like 200RMB

tacoman165 fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 3, 2013

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

synertia posted:

200rmb for the teaches of peaches isn't too bad. Smashing Pumpkins here is like 450HKD.

200RMB to hear gently caress the Pain Away, but I really like Smashing Pumpkins (even if Billy Corgan is a weirdo wrestling fanatic that shills for furniture companies now)

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

Eat This Glob posted:

Maybe i'll bring in some Templeton Rye. Al Capone's whiskey of choice. Still bottled about an hour from here, but I doubt folks in China know who Capone is. That'd be something homespun nonetheless.

The actually have Templeton in China and it's drat good

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

VideoTapir posted:

I've never been able to purchase steam games from within the steam client in China (probably could with a VPN, I guess), but the website works.

I have, the trick is that if you're using an American card with an American address you still have to put "China" for the country. The only issue I've had was some games weren't available in the Asia region. Also if you try to play online games that only have servers in America and Europe for example, you'll get horrible ping.

BadAstronaut: real question, have you ever lived or traveled abroad before?

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

Magna Kaser posted:

Something else you have to realize is that many of these sites, even if they load, will not let you buy things from China due to licensing issues.

Also GOG doesn't give Steam keys so what's the point

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

Eat This Glob posted:

How often is gmail shutdowns an issue in China? I'm not going to spring for a vpn for a week-long trip, but if I need a throwaway address with a "friendly" provider, what is one that'll work for sure? I gotta be able to send along indesign docs to the home office.

Gmail will work fine, but Google Docs is blocked.

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

Magna Kaser posted:

There will be plenty of gyms in Suzhou, but monthly the gyms here tend to border on highway robbery. My gym (not in Suzhou but a city of comparable cost) offers a year for about the same as three months if paid at the per-month rate. Still, there could be some in Suzhou that don't fit this mold, so good luck.

Chicken breasts are cheap here, as are eggs. But that comes with eating chicken from here which almost no one is doing due to health scares. Also fake eggs are common so you gotta be on the lookout for that.

The beef here is a ton leaner than in the states but pretty expensive. Pork is really the go-to protein here. And there's always tofu as well!

If you use any powders I'd bring some over since they're all imported from the US here and see a huge markup.

Listen to Magna, he's the swolest!

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

Baddog posted:

Probably a question for pro-prc, we want to invest a pretty good chunk of rmb - Bank of China 6 month CD is just 2.85%. I think I saw a fairly lengthy post on this a while back, but the smaller banks offer some non guaranteed investment options right? 2.85 guaranteed is good compared to US rates, but I dont feel that great about it given the rate of inflation over here and the corresponding currency exchange risk.

Go to Wu Tang Financial. You need to diversify yo bonds, nigga.

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

FearCotton posted:

Last time my mom came to visit I took her to the Beijing zoo; an hour in she was crying and had yelled at a guy for throwing a carrot at a zebra's head.

So yeah, zoos = sadness.

That was pretty much my Beijing Zoo experience too :smith:

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

Sogol posted:

Ugh... Guilin and the river south used to be incredibly beautiful. Amazing bike trip. Even the park across the river (7 Stars?) was amazing. Limestone domes, the tops always hidden in mist from the river at dawn. In the early morning there were chi gong practitioners who sounded like whales on different ledges of the domes in the park. After the sun was up there would be hundreds of bicycles bringing things from across the river to the markets. Bicycles with baskets made for carrying pigs. Bicycles with dozens of white ducks tied to them by the feet.

(You don't wanna hear this do you?)

It's like Lindsay Lohan circa Mean Girls versus now. It does seem like everyone I met that loves China has been there 15 years or more. poo poo got bad it seems.

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005
I spent a year at EF from 10-11, had an awesome DOS that got promoted to Regional Manager down south and replaced by a guy that thought everyone was career-track and wanted us all to get DELTA certified (hella expensive and practically useless in China). The job was decent hours-wise compared to our competitors though apparently that's changed since I left. If I had been single, I would have cleaned up with the CCs (the hot girls that cajole students into buying a ton of course hours). Not a terrible job, but more work than I was willing to put in for what it was. Also knew a DOS at another center that smoked weed at work and would sell to interested parties.

Everyone I met from Disney English seemed like sex pest burnouts that had overstayed their welcome and were on their last legs anyway.

fake edit: Caberham makes up for any perceived deficiencies because the first time I met him, he came to pick me up sight unseen at my hotel wearing a Star Wars shirt and gave me a ride in his BMW. Dude is a legend. I've also stayed at Bloodnose's place twice (for multiple days) and never met the guy.

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Depending on visa issues of my lovely girlyfriend, once her student one expires and we can't get a renewal, follow her back to Chengdu, China. Been twice already and love it but this would be living, which is obviously a little different.

It looks like a Z1 visa would be best for me as would want to get some part time employment, but the main problem with that is that I've not been offered a job, ideally I'm going over their to live and then look for a job.

My ideal set up would be my girlfriend and I live in one of her 'rent's apartments whilst she gets a job doing her thing in the country she feels more comfortable in and I get a part-time job and work on my portfolio and skills in the mean time to take advantage of the gaming boom in China, with the part time job acting as a place holder for the real job that I hope to get.

What would be the best way to do something like this? (I'm in the uk is that helps)

This is a terrible idea. All of it, really. No one's going to hire you on a tourist visa, best case you'd have to fly back to the UK and do all the paperwork and applications there. Anywhere that would hire part-time in Chengdu is gonna be poo poo pay so get ready to starve or live off sewer oil food. On top of that you're going to try to maintain what seems like a relatively short-term relationship while dealing with the stress of living in a new environment, culture shock, and job hunting (and possible food poisoning/malnutrition). If this comes across as harsh, it's because I've been there done that.

Nothing I've said will change your mind, though, so I'll just go ahead and say I told you so.

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

gwrtheyrn posted:

You could go visit caberham if you want your visa denied!

It's funny because it's true!

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Sorry... fresh out of that, but I do have a source for that special tea that's picked by breast by whores with large mouths. 差不多

No one wants your tea PPL quit talking about it.

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

GuestBob posted:

THE CHINA MEGATHREAD XCLVI: Sunday mornings in bed with Caberham.

At least he takes me out to brunch, hussie!

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

When you get excited amused that you took a solid poo poo and have not filled the bowl with what appears to be a fragrant curry dotted with things you do not recall eating... that shall serve as your membership card.

For me this didn't happen until after I left China. Now I make Bristol proud on the reg. :coal:

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

GuestBob posted:

Henan, the poor man's Skinflats.

In other news: my family has begun its annual Christmas goat exchange. Tearfund recently contacted us to say that we are collectivley responsible for 20% of the Feta currently being produced in Sub-Saharan Africa. Send them some olives too, maybe they can make a salad.

gimme dat feta

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

caberham posted:

And don't worry about TWM, he just feels gross about his previous enthusiasm in China. He still likes China and CN goons :china:

We were Darth Vader to his Ben Kenobi and he has become stronger than we could possibly imagine

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

Spiderjelly posted:

Do you think doctors would be more inclined to give them to Westerners?

Honestly just leave China, if you need medication to stay there it's not worth it.

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

bad day posted:

Yeah I don't know. I'll ask the venue owner tomorrow - it seems like a couple people I know of have had visa/entry problems in the last week or two.

He probably shouldn't have put "smoke weed and gently caress bitches" under Purpose of Visit. On a related note I saw Cut Chemist at Yugong Yishan and it was one of the best shows of my life. Peaches were there a couple months later but the tickets were way too expensive.

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

Ceciltron posted:

Today I had the gall and nerve to present my contract and ask for two days off this week. I had made it clear before hand that I would request this. My girlfriend was around so she came by after work to translate for me.

My boss flips her poo poo over the phone, starts yelling at me, saying awful, awful things in Chinese to my girlfriend, who is, basically, just translating. She threatens to call the cops. I dump tomorrow's course notes on the desk and say something like "no one talks to me or the people i care about that way". And get into the cab to go home.

Knowing that it is entirely possible that my boss actually try to call the police on me and my girlfriend at my apartment claiming she was a hooker, I packed my bags, stored all my big stuff with a friend in the same complex and booked two nights at a small if clean hotel. Tomorrow I'm going to see a lawyer about the irregularities and false parts of my invitation and FEC papers, trying to get a release. And look for an apartment. Something small but clean, maybe with a good cooking space, I don't know.

My boss had her head teacher, a barely english-capable woman, try to browbeat and threaten me into going in to work tomorrow. I said unless she apologised to me and, more importantly, my girlfriend, I wouldn't give them an answer. She mentioned something about canceling my visa at the end of the week. I don't care anymore. I just hate her and hate her school and hate the nightmare of it.

On the plus side this morning's job interview went great and I accepted the job while in the cab home after work. It's an actual school for people preparing to go internationally -well vetted by local expats, to boot.

Move back to America and bring your girlfriend. Problem solved.

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

caberham posted:

DON'T be that angry bitter drunkard who just wastes his savings away at the bar. I don't like to mention names but there are a few in the forum who are/were like that. Blaming their bad decisions/life choices on being in ____________ country instead of owning up to themselves.

I would say you're talking about me, but my life has been super awesome since I moved back to America, so obviously that's not the case.

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005
I used to go to wine parties hosted by the head of Japan Airlines in China, and this wound up being my favorite. Get a pack of smokes for only $25 more!

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

MeramJert posted:

Mulled wine is pretty good.

You can't let mulled wine boil or the alcohol evaporates, you need to warm it just below boiling.

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005
Western-sized condoms unless you like hulking out of Jizzbons with your monster dong.

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

goldboilermark posted:

I went skiing outside of Beijing once. It wasn't very fun because there were so many Chinese people that simply kept falling down and I had to maneuver around them.

Actually now that I type that it was rather fun.

I went snowboarding outside Beijing once and it was awesome because I was the only person on the longest slope they had, like 15 minutes to get up and I could just gently caress around all I wanted.

The worst was actually in Hiroshima with a bunch of people in brand-name gear and no idea how to snowboard falling and sitting everywhere, it was like a minefield.

The best was Niseko, Hokkaido with 2 feet of fresh powder everyday, it was a beautiful dream.

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

BadAstronaut posted:

What's the name of the Beijing snowboarding place you went to?

I always went to Nanshan because it was pretty decent and they had bus service from Sanyuanqiao and back.

edit: 8 hours on the slopes and renting everything was something like 250 kuai (not including deposits), but bring your own food and beer.

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

caberham posted:

Yeah new snowboarders are always so freaking obnoxious. They just block the slopes and sit on their asses all day long. They also need the lifts to slow down because they suck.

Niseko is truly awesome. It's like whistler nice and full of different mountains. I do want to try skiing in China some time though.

I say winter goon trip should be a ski trip. NO BEGINNERS. Well, just take lessons beforehand. Even hk has an indoor skiing school with a rolling carpet.

I think it's people who've never taken lessons getting out there and having no idea what to do or any sense of slope etiquette. I took lessons the first 2-3 times I went and I'm grateful for it. When I was new I sat a lot because getting up (and staying up) is haaaaard when you first start out. TAKE LESSONS GOONS! AND WEAR A HELMET!

What I'm trying to say is, skiing is for middle-aged Europeans. Nanshan's not terrible (they hold X-Games events there), but Niseko spoils you. I've heard the best ski resort in China is Duolemeidi but have never been.

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

goldboilermark posted:

I then went out of the building to go to Starbucks to go to the bathroom. While I was leaving the Starbucks, I got on the elevator on 4. It was going down. It got to floor 2. A really, really fat guy tried to get on and as he did he asked "Going down?" A lady grunted. Another girl was smashing the door close button and the elevator closed on the fat guy. He grunted. He then got on and pressed floor 9. The elevator started going down. He did one of those "aaaaaaa? noises.

What is it with China and elevators? I don't think they understand the core concept, like when it reaches the ground floor, if you want to get on, it's probably a good idea to let people off first instead of forcing your way in. But hey, who am I to argue with 5000 years of culture? Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to barge into Subway, run up to the register and start shaking money at the employees.

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

AfroNinja posted:

TRUTH. This is why the China threads and the WeChat group exist. Its for the sake of our sanity!

I love hearing about Chinese medicine. It never ceases to amazing me. It's amusing but at the same time really dangerous. Its one thing to have a crazy cure for the common cold but when claiming rhino horn powder can cure cancer is just hosed up.

The one CRAZY cure A HOUSEWIFE discovered for the common cold DOCTORS do NOT want YOU to KNOW!

it's hot water

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

Ceciltron posted:

:argh:

Actually, on an interesting note, at the law offices we went to a while back, one of the lawyers (the one with an oddly perfect grasp of English idiomatic speech), had only one hand, the other was some kind of pointing fork.

I don't know why I mention this.

Was this your lawyer?

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

Sogol posted:

That's evil Jeff Winger and he is probably a good lawyer.

:thejoke:

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

Bloodnose posted:

I regret that choice. I wish I had paid $700 more to fly Cathay. United was that awful. How do you do a 14 hour flight without personal televisions in 2014?

Get drunk and sleep the whole time, works wonders for jet lag too.

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

blinkyzero posted:

Fearcotton and I were living in Beijing during the protests. The worst thing we experienced was the 7-11 in the TUS Park closing down for a few days (while the Japanese restaurant right next to it stayed open).

I liked getting hot dogs from that 7-11. :smith:

Then a couple days passed and I was able to get hot dogs again. :unsmith:

There was a restaurant in the same strip as Home Plate that had a "No Japanese" sign right next to the Japanese restaurant. I tore it down but the guy backed off when he realized I was just itching to punch someone in the face.

I've still never been in a fight, but the protests in Beijing were the moment I went full-on "gently caress China"

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

GuestBob posted:

Love finds a way.

Gucci saddlebags are a great way to get your bike stolen while still riding it.

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

blinkyzero posted:

Sounds like most of the students we had in Beijing. Except for a few, none of them were ready to go overseas, but their parents -- not the university administration, but the parents! -- pushed them out the door. A few have struggled along and survived and had a lovely time and a few have just failed out completely since then.

It's much better here at the high school. We've had a year and a half with these kids and almost all of them could go now and be fine. There is the one kid that nobody knows what the hell to do with, but that happens, I guess. His parents seem adamant on sending him abroad even though it's unclear if they or he even really want that for his future. Sad.

If by "direct deposit" you mean "the university accountant finally goes down to the bank on campus after having 4,000 meetings with the other university accountants about God only knows what poo poo," then yeah, sure, this happens for us.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised when something as monstrously bureaucratic as a Chinese university slaps me in the face with bureaucratic inefficiency.

My university had a number of Chinese exchange students, of course they all lived in the same student housing and you'd never see them outside class, except my first roommate who was a PhD student who chose to live in an apartment with a random roommate (me) and never came out of his room. The Japanese students were the same. I never saw the point of studying abroad if you're only going to hang out with other people from your country, so my advice to everyone I taught in China that wanted to study abroad was to never hang out with other Chinese.

My year study abroad taught me that Japanese college was like American high school so I stopped going and got a part time job at a fast food restaurant and copy-pasted a wikipedia article for one of my assignments, so I guess I learned something (delete the citation marks).

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

Jeoh posted:

In China, only the leg men succeed.

It's a numbers game, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

K, I gotta find a place I can pay/perform sexual favors for a fast connection Friday. It's the first Bengals preseason game Friday morning and I'm climbing a clocktower if I can't watch it.

I just bought tickets to their first home game of the season. :wink: