Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

SpelledBackwards posted:

I don't care for coffee, but my chosen alternative is cheap caffeine pills. I get tablets which aren't easy to cut in half, but it's fine for me to take slightly large does (about 220 mg per pill) since I'm not very caffeine-sensitive. And I'm only getting caffeine, as opposed to all the other stuff you have in a sugar-free energy drink. I know coffee has other benefits, but I can only drink it diluted very greatly with hot chocolate or milk & sugar that it's hardly coffee and certainly not healthy at that point. Just the smell of black coffee turns my stomach, and if any drink is too strongly coffee-flavored to me, I'll get nauseated from it later.

On the other hand, I love coffee ice creams and beers.

Caffeine pills don't make you poop like coffee does, though.

Then again, they also don't turn your teeth brown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

quote:

pay for spotify

lmao

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

I pay for spotify premium

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Those programs are set up intentionally to incentivize people to do just that. That is their goal, for better or worse. Do you feel similarly negatively about people who contribute to IRAs and 401ks? You can do a great deal of "tax dodging" with those as well. Governments use tax incentives to mold people's behavior intentionally, I don't think it's wrong to participate in such programs in the intended manner. It's fine to criticize the program but I don't think less of anyone using it.

Sorry, I don't buy this at all. Filing for bankruptcy to discharge hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt is categorically different than using tax-sheltered accounts to save for retirement. The former is an unintended consequence of the rules and policies of the system. The latter is very much intended, because the government wants to incentivize people to save for retirement so that they don't starve once they stop working.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Women absolutely do get paid less for performing the same jobs as men. Not sure what you guys are smoking.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Tigntink posted:

It seems to be a lifestyle alot of dudes actually like. My husbands parents are actually way way way worse together now that he isn't deployed for 6+ months on a sub. They basically start to fall apart after being around each other frequently for 5 months and so every time his deployment came up it was a godsend. Now that he's retired he is a teacher and they start to eat at each other hardcore when he's on summer vacation so he always volunteers for summer school. He's due to retire from his 2nd career and I fully expect one of them to murder the other or just like live in separate parts of the house with in a year.

Your husband's parents sound like they are BWM: bad with marriage.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

How about BWM: corporate edition?

VW Dieselgate gcandal was done to save about 350 bucks per car, even though owners paid a 6-7k premium for the diesel engine, it should have been compliant for that much money.

18B in potential EPA fees, not including the cost to retrofit or buy back the cars.

It was good with money at the time, and only turned into bad with money because they got caught!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

VW decided to not use SCR, which was an incremental cost of $350/car.

VW brand loses money in the US, but the group most definitely makes money. They won't exit rather than pay penalties. The penalties would be tough to avoid since they have significant assets in the US market, and there would be a lot of people doing a lot of suing (dealer network, etc).

I actually would be surprised if whoever made the decision to cheat the system also didn't set aside a slush fund to pay for the inevitable discovery and the resulting penalties.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Space Gopher posted:

If they did that, they'd be cutting into their revenue numbers, which was what drove the whole cheat in the first place.

Not really. They would simply be planning for contingencies. The corporate equivalent of a "rainy day fund", if you will. They would still generate the same revenue, and they could spin the rainy day fund as "reinvesting back into the company".

quote:

And, more importantly, if you set something like that up, it completely destroys your ability to pass the buck. There's already a ton of finger-pointing going on as more details come out. If somebody set up a slush fund, it's as good as admitting fault.

I think as long as they didn't call it "The Slush Fund for When We Inevitably Get Sued" they would be quite fine.

I mean, really, do you realize how creative corporations can get with their accounting? It's very easy to hide things in plain sight if you're even a semi-competent corporate accountant.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

IDK where BWM comes in there. Doing 20 years in the military and getting to collect that pension, then moving into a second career (which itself may have a pension) is pretty GWM.

I said marriage, not money.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

I have to say, driving a car you like or want is also an experience that's hard to explain. I really wanted a Mustang with 99-04 body style and I got a 2003 with mint paint, but broken syncros of the fifth gear, a hosed gauge cluster, a broken seat and occasionally working blinkers.
I paid 1900$, installed LED running lights with less than 50 bucks, got an insurance discount of 11$ a month, 20$ seat covers, 10$ steering wheel cover and a 99$ radio with USB and I love that lovely rear end car to death so hard. And spent a day cleaning, stitching seats, and re-finishing the dash plastic.

I did a GWM beater car purchase and I LOVE IT. it feels like I won two times with money decisions every time I drive it, despite having to time the 5th gear in.

Yeah, but you haven't traded it in for something else a few weeks later, right?

Nothing wrong with being a car enthusiast if you have the money for it. The BWM types though keep buying cars and trading them in until they're deep in debt.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

No it isn't; bankruptcy exists to allow you to do just that.

Bankruptcy exists to rescue individuals out of unforeseen difficulties in paying their financial obligations.

You're going to have a hard time getting your debt discharged if it comes out that you were planning to do it all along, and knew from the start that you wouldn't be able to pay all the debt you accumulated.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

That doesn't make that much sense - by definition, by the time he's paid it off, his boss has had to pay him a good bit more than £1600.

Yeah, but he's providing labor for that salary. The payment plan would be to make him pay off the extra he owes the company.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

Iphones are literally garbage and even if they were the same price they'd be a bad purchase

no you are wrong because

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

pig slut lisa posted:

Update on Mary's GoFundMe:

She probably donated to herself.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

cowofwar posted:

Except they're engaged and should hopefully be at a point where they understand and respect each other. Some people can apparently spend years together without actually talking about anything important. Although I'll bet this dude just made passive grunts while leveling his paladin.

lol

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

50k is a reasonable wedding amount these days for most people, just FYI.

that's because most people are bad with money, hth

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah average is going to be skewed by the crazy high ones that are orders of magnitude beyond typical. Median/percentiles are the right statistics to use.

yep, mastershakeman is bad with statistics

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Devian666 posted:

a degree in poetry

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

NancyPants posted:

You have a point about missing the forest for the trees, but that poo poo makes everything else you deal with even more expensive. Your car insurance rates rise, any other loans or credit lines have their interest rates raised, it's harder to get even a checking account. Credit ratings are bullshit. I mean Jesus, in the US, employers have the right to ask for your report. Sure, legally you can refuse, and they can legally not hire you. Then there's this disgusting practice of new jobs looking at your old pay history to determine what to pay you at a different company for a different job.

Obviously the smart thing to do is not to get into financial trouble in the first place. But that's a little easier said than done to start, and even someone who corrects bad habits is going to have a very difficult time getting out of the hole once they get in.

Yeah, exactly. Worrying about credit score is not BWM at all. Credit scores affect a poo poo ton of stuff. Credit worthiness determines the rates for most payments, and can even have an impact on the person's career.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

BloodBag posted:

I guess something good has come of this thread. My wife uses her personal account to do her etsy stuff. I'm talking with her tonight about opening a business account because I don't want her stuff to get frozen like that combative dickweed. I had no idea there was even a difference, so, thanks fellas :kiddo:

Hey now, good stories are not allowed in this thread!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I've been using USAA for many years and haven't had a single issue. The personal accounts have no fees, and if I remember correctly they reduced the fees of their business accounts a few years back, which is basically unheard of in an industry where all the major players are desperately trying to find new ways to gouge customers.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I would never ever hire a salesperson who is a total retard when it comes to negotiating his own loving salary.

He may be Bad With Money, but his company is also Bad With Hiring. The 12k per year they "save" will gently caress them many times over.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Suspicious Lump posted:

Being an idiot with math does not equate to being a poo poo salesmen. IMO they are not related, if they were then lots of math majors would be millionaires.

It's not that he was an idiot with math, but rather an idiot when it comes to negotiating, and way too naive in terms of expectations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Devian666 posted:

No. People don't understand that you can't eat gold or silver. Growing food and brewing/distilling alcohol would be very high value activities. Next clothing, shelter and medicine would be high value. Everything beyond that is a luxury in that scenario.

Barter would emerge. Someone wanting to trade alcohol for food doesn't want gold.

Way to miss the point. The reason currencies prevailed over bartering is because they provided a shared medium of value and made trading far, far more efficient. For instance, if you have a box of nails and need five Oxycontin pills, you can first sell them for an ounce of gold, then use the gold to buy the pills. The person who has the pills does not have to need a box of nails, and if they need five chicken legs, they don't need to first find a chicken farmer who wants pills: they can just use the currency to buy them.

That is not to say that gold would necessarily be that currency in the event of an economic collapse. In the Nazi concentration camps during World War 2, cigarettes were the currency, for example. That's why investing in gold and silver is stupid.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Desuwa posted:

I can understand why people hoard physical gold; they're confused, afraid, and think it'll be useful as currency.

I don't get why people who believe the economy is going to completely collapse invest in gold or precious metal funds though. In the event that society collapses no one is going to count their shares of some gold "somewhere" as worth anything.

Their mentality is pretty simple and easy to understand: "gold and silver were used as currency in the old days, so they will probably be used again if our fiat economy collapses."

It's one of those things that s end logical on the surface, but of course isn't.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

Bronze was used as currency too. Where are the bronze bugs?

I think you just discovered another source of post-apocalyptic wealth. Quick, buy up all the bronze before this occurs to the other enlightened folks!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

baquerd posted:

You missed his point entirely - for every goldbug that actually has physical gold, there are quite a few who are simply holding certificates for that gold, shares of gold mining corporations, or shares in a gold mining MLP.

Same difference.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

cowofwar posted:

She only has $20k high interest debt. That should be consolidated and paid off first.

Her $90k in student debt can't be discharged and she needs her car.

She may need a car, but a $26k car??? She needs to get rid of it and buy a used civic for $4-5k. That alone would save her a whopping $550 a month, with which she can use to pay off her high interest credit cards.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah, that's crazy too. This line makes me go :wtf:

quote:

We are trying to be frugal with our food budget and both love to cook, but being involved with nutrition means that we spend a little more for healthy/organic foods.

vvv yeah i was trying to be ironic and edgy but changed my mind ;)

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 16, 2015

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Prenups exist for exactly these types of situations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Dr. Eldarion posted:

There is nothing inherently wrong with that. If you have the extra money, feel free to spend it however you like.

Now, if these people are $20k in consumer debt with $50k in student loans racked up, that's a different story.

What? Are we now drawing a line in the sand whereby the only people who are Bad With Money are those who are in serious debt?

I don't care what anyone else says: buying overpriced junk food and drinks is Bad With Money. Whether they have extra money for such purchases is irrelevant.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

He just needs to fill out Form 345A, Application for a Jail Room Facing the Courtyard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

OldMemes posted:

So they're spending £24 grand a year to stop their kids having to mix with the poors? Is private primary school worth it? That's when you learn social skills and the basics, it's probably better for your kid to mix with other kids from a range of backgrounds. If you want the elite school thing but without the £24000 debt, just hire a tutor when they're ten, get them to pass them the 11 Plus exam and hope they can get into a Grammar School.

I don't know about the UK, but in the US private school can absolutely be worth it, especially if you live in a state and/or a neighborhood with lovely public schools. And there's a lot of those.

There was a really good article on the NY Times about Massachusetts's rejection of common core testing. Top comment explains it pretty well:

quote:

I'm a public school teacher who sent both of my children to very selective private high schools (one went to an all-boys school and one went to the all-girls school that Bill Gates' wife attended) after they attended K-8 in public schools.

My husband and I felt we had no choice if we wanted to protect them from the education "reformers" who are starving public schools of funding, requiring expensive, overly-tricky standardized tests and hiring barely-trained TFA teachers--all in a bid to destroy public schools and steer parents to charter schools so the "reformers" can reap the tax dollars.

At both of my children's expensive, competitive private schools (approx $100K for each child's HS education), no standardized tests except the PSAT are given. The facilities are top-notch. The food is amazing (the all-boys school stressed the Angus beef served, while the all-girls school stressed locally sourced options). The classes are small.

I believe that 100% of the students from each private school each year are accepted into 4-year colleges, most with scholarships.

They are no smarter or more capable than my public school students, but they are given a much, much better education because Common Core, Bill Gates, TFA, Eli Broad and Michelle Rhee aren't allowed anywhere near the private schools. Think about the that. Privates spend their money on children; publics are forced to pay test sellers and computer vendors.

If even public school teachers, who themselves make not that much money, are sending their kids to private schools, you know something is up.

• Locked thread