Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I have a relative who cashed out all of his retirement accounts sometime in Jan '09 (2 months shy of DOW 10,000, woo!), citing concerns that Obama might find a way to take it all on top of 'I got tired of seeing my retirement disappear.' Once remarked that he didn't consult a financial adviser because, quote, "he'd've told me not to."

Stayed completely liquid way too long. Thought the whole problem was government inserting it's childlike hand into the affairs of men, thought he'd wait. Thought it was a good idea based on everything he'd learned from Beck and Limbaugh. Acting on his beliefs roughly halved his retirement accounts, cost him 50K - 70K, and from what I can tell he learned nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

HookShot posted:

At the Sydney Olympics in 2000 there were some guys that brought a caravan and parked in on the road, getting a ticket every single day. But when they were asked about it, they said the ticket was cheaper than getting a hotel room and this way they had a way better spot, so it was worth it.
Their day job is probably writing Economics textbooks.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

drat Bananas posted:

Holy crap, the Mary Kay-offshoot doesn't get to be counted as a "job" if she's made less than $1000 in two years. That's less than $10 a week!
Ding ding - That's worse than diddling around with online surveys.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Is it BWM for American Express to be sending out all these ~1 lb offers on thick stock? Overall, they're quite nice. No wonder their fees are so high.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 31, 2016

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Edit: ^^Yes. Also, giant delicious $5 rotisserie chickens rule.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Lol dude come on. I live in Seattle and have worked at Google for about ten years

Just out of idle curiosity, do you know what the highest paid programming/IT niches are right now?

Empress Brosephine posted:

im moving and into a "first apartment" i guess and going thorugh trying to budget and oh boy how do people manage to live without earnign $20/hr

I got into minimalism. And now that I can afford our consumerist culture, I don't want it anymore!

Materialism is a con.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 9, 2017

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Volmarias posted:

Oh hey hundreds of posts, I wonder if there was a horse weddi-

:yikes:

BWM: Doxxing yourself while discussing professional misconduct.

GWM: Humorlessness re: slander of one's business.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Moneyball posted:

Is 100k rich?? :confused:

Depends on what it is as a % of your area's baseline Cost-of-Living.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Holy poo poo

quote:

“hit it big,” aka be someone.

Dude's loving retarded

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Assuming he doesn't empty his brains into the bathtub

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
OP thinks he can't lose.

This guy, though:

quote:

Maximum loss on this trade is about $233,000 at a price of $128 per share on Feb 17.

Breakeven price on Feb 1 is about $121 per share, or $120.23 on Feb 17.

http://imgur.com/a/jnHaA

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
My parents were into hoarding. Almost every pound of it went into roll-off dumpsters due to rodent excrement. That poo poo's awful, and a serious dick-move to the next generation. It's good thing there was a few grand in change and bills floating around the house because it was necessary for dumpsters and cleaning crews. The house just recently sold for half its appraised value and we were lucky to get that much.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
What are utilities like for a remote cabin? And nearest hospital?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

He's looking at student loans to study...marine archeology. They live in a landlocked state and I'm not certain he's ever been to a beach.

That's not a good idea.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

job in marine archeology

Haha

I think you misspelled bank teller

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

melon cat posted:

I work with a lot of Grade 7-8 students, and let me tell you- there seems to be this weird, persistent interest in Marine Biology (is that at all similar to marine Archeology? Maybe. I don't know). In every class I've ever taught in, there's always a good handful of students who say that they want to become a Marine Biologist. And whenever they say it, they always say it with a smirk like it's the mightiest of career decisions. So they don't just say,

"And when I start college, I'll be studying Marine Biology."

They say:

"And when I start college, I'll be studying Marine Biology.:smug:"

Who planted this idea into generations of young teenagers heads? And whenever I prod them for details on it, they can never tell me what the field actually involves. At this point, I'm convinced that they say it because it's a smart-sounding thing to study (and cool to brag about, I guess?). It's like all of their parents were George Costanza and told them that Marine Biology is life.

Do the girls still walk around with stuff covered in dolphins? My sister couldn't get enough of Space Dolphins and now one of her degrees is in marine biology.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Noctone posted:

lmao how is it possible to be that dumb

Either he's faking it or he's [Is $500 a lot?]-levels rich

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Special Rule: Most benign answer wins

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

This is soul crushing. No one should have to be this squeezed in a first world country. It looks like they're a single bad break away from homelessness.

And for the US, it's totally normal. :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

Troll or fiance sells weed on the side.

It screams, "supplemental income," but his family owns a profitable business so they're probably just helping him out.

• Locked thread