Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Grumpwagon posted:

I bought the smaller one (6"?), and it's ok, but it's a bit too firm for me. I normally like fairly firm mattresses. I sleep on my side mostly and sometimes I wake up with sore shoulders on this.
They supposedly take it back within 30 days no questions asked, but how do you ship that sucker back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

SpelledBackwards posted:

Do people who own properties but share them with renters ever pretend they're also co-tenants who are merely agents of an absentee landlord without being explicit that they are in fact the landlord themselves? As a way to shield themselves from direct criticism or hassling, I'm wondering if that is a viable strategy... pretending there's a big bad overboss who sometimes ties your hands when you don't want a drawn out conflict.
And wearing disguise when knocking on the door to collect rent. Happens all the time

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Blackjack2000 posted:

Remember the factories in China where employees would play WoW all day to sell items? Then after doing that for like 10 hours, they would go home and...

...play World of Warcraft for fun?
Nobody works less than 12 hours a day in China, you must be mistaken.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Saros posted:

What a total moron. At least he won't make it past basecamp so he's not that likely to die.
The Everest tourist industry is very familiar with people like him. Most won't show up, some will show up and get rejected due to lack of proper gear/equipment. Some will be told to stop because they are out of sync with the group. Either way, the money is paid. Very few people actually summit. But you can pay $15,000 to make a "I've climbed Everest" facebook post. Which is what that guy is essentially looking to do, show off.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Saros posted:

He claims later to have read Into thin air and it inspired him. How the gently caress that book would inspire someone to think climbing everest is a good idea is beyond me.

Best comment in the thread is 'green boots are boring these days, please wear something distinctive and make sure to die in the cave'.
That is in fact, the best comment

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

pig slut lisa posted:

After college I did a dual degree program, earning my JD and a Master of Urban Planning degree. When I was part way through I met Mary, who was beginning the same program. Mary eventually dropped out of one program, then the other (I think she was a semester away from getting the law degree). This was a few years ago now. Every so often she'll post something on facebook about how she's making another grand change in her life. What is it this time, Mary?

She's asking for $10,000 :suicide:
You forgot to link the gofundme page where we could donate said thousands of dollars.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

SmuglyDismissed posted:

Made it to 0:46 and it is already gold.

"For four people to go to the movies, it's over 100 to 150 bucks."

Maybe adult movies

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
A boat, used for living, is just an RV that floats. Why not buy a Winnebago and live happily thereafter? It's much better insulated, cheaper to buy/maintain, and you can sleep overnight in your work parking lot. Or are you just trying to appear eccentric, when picking up chicks at the bar?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Sometimes this and the schadenfreude thread are neck to neck

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Iron Lung posted:

despite them making 100k+ a year.
Is that how much they make after he lost that job?

A friend of a friend is an Uber driver in Philly. He's telling us that an average Uber driver can make something close to $25/hour working peak hours. There are 6-7 peak hours in a day and they're not evenly distributed, so you either have a 3 hour window or working regular rate in off peak hours. It's a lovely system. I'm dying to hear as to why he can't just drive for Uber in the new city, or anywhere closer.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Barry posted:

How much more (typically, I guess) would commercial insurance like that cost over vanilla personal coverage?
None of the uber drivers I know pay for it, but they think the rate will at least triple. The commercial insurance on my work van is about 40% higher, but I don't carry passengers. And you need a separate policy for non-commercial vehicles in the household.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I was told your acceptance rate must be above 80% for regular and 90% for uber black

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
15 tax return posts and not a single humblebrag, that's impressive

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
What's in the storage? If nobody needed it for years, this may be the time to let go.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Grumpwagon posted:

Don't feed the troll. John Smith is either a troll, or the spergiest person on the planet. It's better to just ignore him.
This is the best course of action

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I bought a 2010 Golf TDI back in late 2013 when gas was like $3.50 a gallon and before it was revealed that VW was cheating on emissions tests. That's pretty BWM

Sounds like bad luck.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Haifisch posted:

Lots of last minute competition for the Worst Humblebrag award.
I bought 2 Dodge Neons at an auction for $500, one had a rancid interior and the other was in a head on collision. Combined, they made one amazingly serviceable car that lasted years. I also found a bag of heroin inside the smashed car, which brought the entire cost of this operation down by another 200. I'll take my award off the air, thank you.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Thesaurus posted:

Hey, it's hard to save when you are only netting $2,800/mo after paying your rent!

I wonder what this guy has been pissing it away on.

This entire market is mostly supported by young stupid oil workers.

They easily go for 6 figures, higher than average mortgage in some areas.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

NancyPants posted:

Yeah of all the things to crowd fund I don't think a tattoo removal is even close to the worst. I'd rather give someone money for that than their vacation or money to buy a house to flip.

She's not removing the tattoo. She is just asking for money because her life is miserable or something.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I don't read that on the site, pretty bizarre if it's true.
It's quoted 6 posts above mine

quote:

UPDATE #4 7 DAYS AGO
11 person likes this update
and by the way I will not be goin on the show the doctors because of my i.d isses so I will not being getting any free tattoo removal from anyone
That was her response to someone who said they will pay for removal outright, but insisted on paying directly to the clinic, not her personally.

quote:

Caitlin Augusta 400400 14 days ago
I don't know you but I'll pay for the removal with a cc over the phone directly to wherever you go to have it removed.... Feel free to contact me through fb. I will look up the number for the place myself and call them directly and leave payment for you to have it removed. No one should have to live with something like that on their body.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 4, 2016

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Nail Rat posted:

There were a LOT of stupid people back then who thought that they would end up being worth a ton of money.

Its not that people are stupid, they just gambled and lost. Some things do end up going up in value during a price bubble, and it's a matter of luck to cash out while the price is high. See muscle car pricing leading up to 2008.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Related: here in Australia, Catholic school has become seen as "cheaper private school" among many in the middle class.

It's the same in the US, my area at least

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Tumblr poster is Black so I can totally understand her not wanting to get the police involved even if it were prosecutable. Involving the police if you're Black is a really good way for you to get hurt or killed by the police.
That's a really stupid thing to say

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
It's it still considered humble, when it's through a megaphone?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Switchback posted:

My company also doesn't cover any health insurance for my husband, on a dependents pass, because he is male. Female dependent spouses are covered.
Goddamn. That can't actually be legal, right?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I got my shelter to 100 without spending a dime in about a week. And then it got really boring, because everything after that just repeats itself. What the hell do you spend money on in that game?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
UPDATE: As of 5:43pm PST, I have been officially let go from the company

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Sepherothic posted:

After last weeks Full Sail animation retard I did a search on /r/personalfinance and turned this classic up.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2i1zea/finances_versus_passion/

280K in mostly private loans for art school to learn you don't like computer animation. Holy poo poo.
My 4 year degree from Art Institute (3D Animation/Industrial Visualization) cost $52k, no grants or parent loans. How in the hell did she spend so much? The important schadenfreude is that I'm doing something completely different with my life, most of that money is down the drain.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Centripetal Horse posted:

I write software for a company in the finance industry, and we definitely do not have a keg in the break room. We do have three ping-pong tables, and a foosball table, so that's pretty cool.

Oh, my God. We'd all be dead. The operations people would be extra dead, since disk space and permissions issues have broken every build of like four products for the last two weeks.

How's the job? You happy with the place?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
A friend of mine got knocked up, switched to earning under the table and moved in with her mother. She now has healthy baby, welfare, daycare assistance, Medicaid, and makes more money then she did before pregnancy, untaxed. My anecdote is best, suck it nerds.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

froglet posted:

The night my partner proposed he used dozens of tealights I'd gotten as freebies from an acquaintance who was involved in a candle MLM.

After I accepted, we drank champagne and I told him to "stop buying candles". He said "no". Then we giggled ourselves stupid. Goddamn, @dril is great.

Getting free mlm candles - good with money?

Found out recently an acquaintance who bought an albatross of a vehicle that was surprisingly similar to CornHolio's managed to sell it. I can only imagine what they get next.
All mlm crap is like pennies on a dollar if you check eBay or Craigslist.

Similar to your sorry, my cousin lit at least a hundred of those candles, lined up around the perimeter of hallway and living room, just to create a romantic setting. Then spent about a day cleaning the soot off the walls. It's a tiny apartment in a high-rise building, and of course there wasn't a fire extinguisher anywhere near.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Rudager posted:

I'm trying to figure out what "Computer" is a code word for.
Probably a Mac, those things cost fuckload of money.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Haifisch posted:

I guess that puts the BWL of the average mcmansion lawn into perspective. :stare:

What reason does he even have for mowing that much? Is it just an obsession with appearances that doesn't make sense when you're dealing with a farm?

Mental illness

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

My internet service is $50/month but it comes with all the tv shows, free.
You can get your groceries for free too, just put them under your coat and walk past the register.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

Did the wife get the pool table?

What's the story behind the pool table? I never read the archived thread, all these references are like inside jokes.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Thanks. I have 3 hours and a bottle of bourbon. Let's roll

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Here comes a conga line of motherfuckers to share their GWM wedding experience... again

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

slap me silly posted:

Not seeing how wedding chat could possibly be considered a derail in the Bad With Money thread.

Vahakyla posted:

I got married in the Wappoo Creek branch of Wells Fargo by the banker, and people took photos of us and then I deposited our marriage gifts to my account.

GWM and I'm not kidding.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Magic Underwear posted:

Race horses don't cost money to feed, train, house or keep healthy? Sounds like an amazing deal.

Don't they have a horse therapist and psychic to see also?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Senf posted:

That last part is honestly the best idea he's ever had.
Except it should be implemented by someone more competent

• Locked thread