Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Leviathan Song posted:

Leather shoes actually do last a lot longer if you let them rest a day or two to dry out. It also gives you time to clean and polish them. Doesn't mean that you need 50 pairs but 3 pairs will last more than 3 times as long if you rotate days.
Bras actually are the same way - if you rotate them, the elastic doesn't get stretched out nearly as fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

My Passat was the worst with money I've ever been. Every single fix was a few hundred dollars or more and they just. kept. coming.*

*plz dont sue me vw

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

I have a motorcycle, a V8 convertible Mustang, and a Kia Rio. All paid off. Yeah, the Kia is the car I need. The rest are things I want. But I bought them with cash and I loving love them.

The point is that money is a tender you exhange for various goods and services, and it's okay to buy poo poo you like. If someone wants to have a BMW for riding with his three girlfriends, that's fine. I like life, and I like my job, and I like driving to work with the pony or the bike. It's not bad with money, but yoy know what's good with life? Driving the same commute everyday, yet enjoying the roar of your engine and havig daily fun with your clutch. I don't curse in traffic, I have fun.

This thread has a tendency to shun material goods and earthly joya, which is kinda funny since most people post from 1000$ entertainment gaming machines.
nominate this post/poster for shittiest bragposts in the bwm thread.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

Okay, but a car can also be entertainment that doubles as transportation, right?

Nobody loving cares how much fun you have driving your car during morning rush hour, half of your posts itt are "omg my car is so amazing, its like every day my car gives me a blowjob, thats gwm right??" Like for real, I drive stick and you are the reason people hate people who drive stick.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

edit: internet double postin

moana
Jun 18, 2005

BadSamaritan posted:

me and my husband lived in Manhattan for a few years there on <$40k a year (no kids). We just had to make very careful choices in order to live within our means, but we were still able to do some fun stuff and eat out occasionally.
Same, me and boyfriend were spending around $4k a month w/out kids. Lived in Washington Heights for a bit, then up at the end of the 6 line in the Bronx. As long as you're not a racist who hates living near minorities, you'll be fine.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

what's your favorite restaurant to go to for sushi, Applebees or Hometown Buffet?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

pig slut lisa posted:

To add fuel to the regionchat tire fire, here is a very interesting chart by Pew showing access and participation rates in 401K plans by state and region: http://www.pewtrusts.org/en/multimedia/data-visualizations/2016/employer-based-retirement-plan-access-and-participation-across-the-50-states
I want a related map showing the inverse relationship between levels of undocumented workers and availability of decent carne asada burritos.

It's very GWM to live in a lovely town where there's nothing to spend your money on. However, if you are frugal and can maintain a high savings rate, it makes sense to live in a HCOL place when you're young since saving 15% of your income in a high income area will get you off on the right foot. Then, when you're old and have given up on life, you move to Des Moines. Win-win!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

the talent deficit posted:

why is access so low in the more urbanized states?
lots more illegal immigrants and service workers in urban areas. Also fewer union jobs, I'm guessing.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's ridiculous. Kids need fewer calories than you, and you're probably not going out to restaurants nearly as often. What are you wasting your money on? Maybe you're like my sister who buys her toddler craptons of packaged 100% organic Gogurts that he just squirts all over the couch.

Subjunctive, why on earth would it be a percentage of income? Do you need to eat more if you're a lawyer than if you're a janitor or something? We average spend $350/per person each month, and that's with going out to eat probably 3-4 times a week in a very HCOL area. And we waste a lot of food because we're lovely cooks. If you're trying to budget, I don't think $200-300 per person is unreasonable at all.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

For healthy lunches, green smoothies are the bomb. Spinach/kale, bananas, frozen berries, OJ, greek yogurt. Add a peanut butter sandwich to go along with that, you're still looking at under $30/week for two people.

Always tell the meat truck guy you're vegetarian.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

gently caress that guy so much. Stringing a 31-year old woman along in the dark for two years when he knows she wants kids? I'd chop off his goddamn balls.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Dustoph posted:

Is there a profession or field that is resoundingly GWM?
I forget where I read it, might have been The Millionaire Next Door, but teachers are generally quite GWM in the sense that they don't spend themselves into debt and contribute more to their retirement plans than most other professions. Of course, they also chose a field where they aren't going to get paid very much, but you can't win em all!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

quote:

If she chose to leave me over money, then probably she would choose to leave me if I became incapacitated as well. And someone that shallow is not someone I'd want to be in a relationship with anyway.
This is my favorite analogy of his. More like he overate until he weighed 600 pounds and then calls her shallow for wanting to leave him because he's "incapacitated."

Thank God that poor woman got out!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Bad with money: panhandling for Cold Stone ice cream.

We went to Cold Stone Creamery to use up a gift card. The guy next to us in line asked my husband for $2 because "he was a little short." My husband said no way, this is crazy expensive ice cream, there's a Rite Aid down the street if you want cheap ice cream. When the server comes back, the guy proceeds to order some fancy ice cream with an extra scoop, then asks my husband AGAIN for money when he gets up to the register and is counting out coins like "oh no, I don't have enough". What in the hell? When we refuse to pay for his super brownie sundae waffle thing, he leaves the counter and goes out to the street to beg passersby for money. He was still out there asking after we had finished our ice cream and left.

Like, dude, you can get a half gallon of delicious Thrifty's ice cream for $3.50 if you just walk to Rite Aid.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

DuckConference posted:

Simultaneous gwm and bwm: http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/house-investment-wealth-1.3716641

$1mil between two people retiring in their mid-30s doesn't quite work
It does if they're only spending 30-40k a year (which is what they say in the article). The trinity study says a 4% withdrawal rate is fine, not to mention they could always pick up a little extra work if they ever thought they were heading in the wrong direction. e:f;b

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Moneyball posted:

"People buy things they don't need, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like" - Not Dave Ramsey, originally
I actually went looking for the origin of that quote a while back because I thought there was no way it was from Fight Club but there's no really solid source for the original quote that I could find.

also,

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Dave Ramsey is methadone. Life saving tool for people with severe issues, but if you're financially healthy there's no point in getting involved with him.
this is the best analogy ever

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Just saw this posted on a local FB group; BWM is when you lose your horses

moana
Jun 18, 2005

NancyPants posted:

I got "creep on your sleeping family" out of that, which I guess is not that bad a sentiment in general but i don't know why it's advice in this specific situation
acidia has no family, VendaGoat is trying to make him feel even worse about it so that he kills himself. I think.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Christ. "She learned to sit quietly while mom and dad talked on the phone."

mlm: learned helplessness and emotional neglect for your children while you chase material wealth! Also, it can't be a pyramid scheme when it's circles, duh

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Zero One posted:

Sharing my cork pics

I'll trade you an autographed romance novel for one pack of Michigan coasters.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

I would like to travel to NZ before deciding to move there, but one of my friends visited there and thought it was "the only civilized country [he's] ever been to."

I lived in Canada before and it was great, but moving to Vancouver is very BWM since the housing there is more ridiculous than just about anywhere in America.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

- Work hard and put your money in a savings account!

- Stay at one job as long as you can because showing loyalty to your company is the fastest way to earn more money

- When it comes to investments remember "A managed garden is a healthy garden." In layman's terms that means actively managed accounts are typically better for the average investor than passively managed accounts. It makes sense if you think about it, would you let a spreadsheet decide when your oil needs to be changed? Of course not, you need a mechanic.

- Buy a house! Houses are good investments against inflation and generally can be turned into reliable income streams later in life. Think of your home as your main retirement account that you happen to live in.

Hope this helps you out!
Great advice, also:
- make sure to buy as much whole life insurance as possible in order to both insure against a bad future and invest in case of a good future - win/win!
- if you have a horse make sure to also buy whole life insurance for the horse
- (and if you don't have a horse, buy one because you can race it and make money by betting on your horse as well)
- buy as much property as possible, especially a house with a huge lawn because then you can let your horse run around and graze the lawn

moana
Jun 18, 2005

SCA Enthusiast posted:

If you or her have some older family members who hold on to valuables check the family vaults for heirloom rings. No purchase necessary and it is quite meaningful.

Not just rings, any heirloom stone can be reset in the style she likes for wayyyy cheaper. I did this with my grandmother's necklace that she had left me. And then you can add a lot of tiny diamonds around it for way cheaper if that's the style she's into.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

NancyPants posted:

I keep buying $8 jars of nail polish even though I already have a box full. Can we pleeeeease get back to bwm?
I have a friend whose fridge is half full of wine and milk, and half full of nail polishes. I guess partially GWM because she says they last longer that way??

moana
Jun 18, 2005

It's me, I'm bad with money. I sent out my IRS checks and didn't remember to transfer the money from my savings account to my checking account in time. What happens when you send a check to the IRS and it bounces? I'm going to find out, I guess ah fuckkkk meeeeeee

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Not a Children posted:

Apparently they tend to re-run the check to try to get it to clear a second time a few days later for just this kind of occasion. Make the appropriate transfers and watch your accounts.
Crossing my fingers for this one. Stupid me. I'm going to blame it on the baby, I used to check Mint every day to make sure my money was in the right places, but now it's all "feed the baby, Moana," "change the diaper, Moana," "don't let the baby eat any more cardboard, Moana."

moana
Jun 18, 2005

therobit posted:

BWM: not having overdraft protection on your checking account. OD protection can be bad for people with no self control bit if you had the money to pay in another account I am guessing that is not you.
I don't think they would cover an overdrafted check for $90k either way, but yeah, that was my first thought as well. I don't know if Alliant can link the savings account to cover, but I'll ask when I call them to waive the overdraft fee :suicide:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

therobit posted:

If your tax bill is really $90k, and this is not a one time event
It's a one-time event, I now get paid nothing and am vomited on daily. I'll never make that much money again, so I've got to get my humblebrags in when I can.

BWM story: another mom in my baby class complaining that she has to work overtime and can't spend time with her baby. Then says that she ended up buying a breast pump for $700 because the $400 ones you get FREE through ACA "aren't as good" and talks about how great the homeopathic gas drops and amber teething necklace are that she bought from the naturopath. If I were unscrupulous, I'd start an organic baby product line and rake in the millions.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Volmarias posted:

I imagine that the market has to be saturated at this point.
There will always be new ways to play on the anxieties and nostalgias of first time parents. Knitted characters and printed onesies of popular shows, plushies of newly endangered animals, etc etc.

Who said that the IRS would just run my check again? Ding ding ding, you're the winner! I'm so relieved that my BWM stupidity is common enough that I wasn't even penalized for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah and gently caress grandparents who aren't healthy enough to travel to their grandkids. Wait until your precious babies are ten or twelve or fifty five or whatever age people stop being assholes.

Also keep your dogs inside until they learn not to poo poo all over people's lawns. Cats use litter boxes like civilized people, why can't you train your stupid loving dog to do the same? Just like parents can train their kids to stop crying by holding a pillow over their mouths every time they do it. This is some basic Skinner techniques, people, it's like you don't even think you belong to society the way you let your stupid dependents run rampant over social norms.

• Locked thread