Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

NancyPants posted:

Why doesn't he just sneak in and pet them when everyone is asleep?

Because horses are dumb and one of them would probably freak out and kill itself when he startled it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I wasn't aware you get two years before they do that, but yea, racoons are terrible pets. They're more or less on par with monkeys in terms of being little psychopaths with hands who will gently caress up all your stuff and bite you, with the added benefit that racoons will also attack your house and eat holes in the walls/ceiling/doors.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Also the part about trying to get a personal loan because if he gets an autoloan he has to have full coverage and there is no way he can handle that additional payment. With no apparent awareness as to why you need full coverage on a car you haven't paid for yet.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Trillian posted:

I was thinking there would be no public service jobs for veterinarians, but then I remembered the number of Toronto police I see on horseback. So at least here there are. Canadian police: BWM.

I just checked and there are a dozen vet jobs on USAjobs.gov (US government recruitment site) for positions with both the Army and the Department of Agriculture. So that's a thing they could do.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Its also pretty screwed up because reservation courts have limitations on how they can charge people who are not native american, so there are situations where some dude comes onto a reservation and breaks the law, but can't be charged and it has to be passed to the federal government on the hope they will decide to pursue it. This created an immensely hosed up situation for domestic/sexual violence where the tribal courts couldn't charge people and the federal government wasn't doing anything until just a couple years ago when the ability of tribal courts was expanded to cover that.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I actually live in Massachusetts, so what I posted was stuff that I had read in articles on the topic.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I feel for my coworker, but her decisions are all so bad. Her mom was some kind of alcoholic and her Dad died when she was really young. Her mom helped her get this house and is not good with money, but is trying to buy forgiveness after not talking to her daughter for 6 years.

My other coworkers all cheered her on and encouraged her to buy the house and get the wedding loan because "You only do it once! Make it memorable! It's your special day! Don't take no for an answer!"

I briefly tried to encourage her not to get a loan for a wedding and to not put major charges on the credit card when you are already thousands of dollars in debt (hundreds of thousands of dollars if you include both their student loans and mortgage) on a 28k income. But then I became the dream crusher and was not going to get into a fight with my boss (who was really adamant about advising her to go big) about weddings.

Everyone in my office is a middle-aged woman except for my younger woman coworker and one middle-aged man. They are all obsessed with encouraging her to go bigger and better and telling her how they missed out on one aspect of their wedding and how it is tacky to not have this aspect of a wedding and they really regretted not spending more on their own weddings. It's terrible.

Obviously you need to join in on this, and recommend that her wedding has a horse.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

In the next update, it will turn out that the $7k was actually a loan from her grandmother.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

ice cold horchata posted:

how do people not realize that free money is being thrown away?

At one of my previous employers they had one of those presentations on the 401k program to try and make sure people were participating, and a bunch of people basically said 'why should I do this, if I put my money into stocks its just going to disappear in the next recession, I'll just take it now.' The people running it did their best, but some people were just entrenched that any money they put would just vanish, so the match didn't mean anything.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I agree, I closed my oldest cards because I wasn't happy with the service. It lowered by credit immediately, but only by a small margin and it rebounded quickly. If all the rest of your credit is in order, the age on your credit cards isn't going to sink you. Seeing as you actually have a mortgage, I would guess that keeping that in good standing would be a much bigger influence, for example.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

The really valuable part of buying a house for most people is the staibiltiy in your housing situation it provides. Houses aren't an 'investment', but knowing your housing expenses and having the option to stay in the same place for years is very valuable, especially in terms of building actual communities. It's hard when the best you have is a one-year period and then you don't know if you will have to move, or how far you will have to go.

NancyPants posted:

I can't see how a non-crooked landlord would ever enter into that agreement anyway. So you're going to sign up to keep a specific tenant in the property for God knows how long and hope they qualify for a mortgage at the end of it? The only way that thing makes sense from the landlord's perspective is if you have the same rights to terminate a lease as in a normal rental, which means any tenants would be utterly insane to agree to it.

It's a real shame that we sold everyone on this house, car, and 2.5 children American Dream bullshit.

The only way a non-predatory rent-to-own makes sense is if the landlord is some sort of non-profit/government program that has the objective of housing people who have trouble qualifying for traditional mortgages. Otherwise a landlord would just sell conventionally, or use the predatory version where people pay you higher than usual rent for years before something slips up and they lose the option to buy (plus the money they have paid so far).

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Edit: ^^^ That is actually a remarkably innovative solution. She gets to live-in care for kids, your in-laws get cared for, you'll just have to foot the bills for it all.

Wow Sundae, when you stopped providing us with tales or your woe in the TPS thread, I had no idea you were squirreling away all this personal suffering for the future. :aaa: Now I don't begrudge you your job improvement at all!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

A couple years ago my company switched from weekly checks to biweekly. Not a big deal, they told everyone well in advance. They had an all-hands meeting the week it was taking effect to remind everyone that we wouldn't be getting a check that Friday because it was the start of the two-week cycle. Cue a bunch of the managers freaking out because apparently they didn't have the cash reserves to bridge a single week without a paycheck, despite being warned this was coming. :psyduck:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I think people manage to go broke because you can essentially scale certain costs up endlessly. There is always a more exclusive, more expensive house to live in, you can always blow even more money on even higher branded clothes/accessories, and when you hit a certain ceiling you do things like move your kids into expensive private schools and enroll them in ridiculous summer caps where they skeet-shoot horses or something. I seem to recall that our communities are increasingly income-segregated, so when you make more money you move into a money area and everyone else is doing this too. Unless you manage to be making $100k and living in a community making $40k, you aren't going to see how wild you are getting.

Also a lot of people fail to develop good spending and budgeting habits when they are young and broke, and therefore don't have them to help control them when they are old and rich. Tons of people have no idea how much money they spend on frivolous stuff, they just know that they 'can afford it'.

Twerk from Home posted:

You know, I'm gonna say that some of this is because the luxury unnecessary stuff looks dirt cheap compared to the giant fixed costs like daycare. Daycare is unbelievably expensive in some parts of the country, more than I'd think most people pay in rent.
Daycare is pretty much always cripplingly expensive unless you are getting your relatives to provide it. It's also one of those things that scales upward, because if you are making $100k you don't put your kids in a family daycare run by a lady down the block, you put them in some sort of boutique kindergarten costing four figures week. When we had two kids under 5, daycare was easily our highest single expense.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yea, those things are miserable. It's terrible when you have an office full of parents because everyone is stuck trying to hock overpriced trash food to each other. My daughter's preschool used to do it with cookies/cakes and fortunately all the parents told them it sucked and they switched to just asking for money for specific things directly and an online thing where you can buy giftcards and a percentage goes to the school - so we can buy giftcards for somewhere we would shop anyway (like amazon or target, etc.) and they get a tiny cut, which is much better than ending up with a freezer full of cookie dough.

Unfortunately my son's school still does these things, although they are apparently trying to sell us kitchenware now? Sorry guys, I don't need to buy new pots and pans every semester, so this isn't going to work.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

She should have just found another crazy person to buy her share of the horseshare, then she could have had that $2500 in hand and her mother/sister would make a new crazy horsefriend with their co-owner.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Just fake it. Say you have a horse and then just complain constantly about how much the boarding/feeding costs you while actually putting that money into retirement/savings. Keep a browser tab open to a saddle shop or horse monthly or something.

If anyone asks to actually see your horse or asks you to come riding, tell them that it died unexpectedly from a twisted gut and act surly for a week before talking about buying another one.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

CitizenKain posted:

Yea, honestly its a useful thing with as touchy as horses can be. My friend's horse almost died a few years ago because of colic.

Presumably would also help those people who thought that they had a horse boarding somewhere and then when they tried to go get it the guy turned evasive and suddenly told them that it died or whatever.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Pureauthor posted:

Is there a worse pet than horses in terms of being BWM?

Possibly a chimpanzee, because they are also expensive to take care of but when they freak out instead of dying they go on a bezerker rampage and tear peoples faces/arms off.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yea, pianos are terrible to move, a lot of professional movers won't even move them. You have to get a mover that will bother with it, and there is usually a special surcharge. Doing it properly, even on a small upright, requires more people and special equipment. The smallest pianos still weigh 300lbs or so. I have no idea what people even do if they have a grand piano, I assume you just roll it out the window to kill someone and call it done.

Also once you move a piano you have to get someone out to tune it, and then retune it again in a couple weeks after it has settled. Musical instruments are often BWM but pianos are noteworthy because they're a headache to even get rid of.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Konstantin posted:

A lot of times a piano can't be moved. When they built a new school in my city, the piano for the music room went in before they put the walls up, and there is no way it can be removed without knocking them down.

Have a cup of tea

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I thought that was the whole point of thanksgiving, to see how far they've slipped.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Moneyball posted:

In the northeast, and I assume anywhere else where it snows heavily, parking in someone's shoveled out spot is a no-no. You will probably return to it having been keyed, shoveled back in, etc. I don't condone that, but it's a dick move, especially if it's at someone's home.

I was about to make a comment about how bad this gets in Boston, but looks like you're aware of it. :v: People sure do get livid about their snowspots, I think last year we had some tire-slashings and a full-on fight because of people poaching spots.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Defacing other people's cars? You guys need to up your rage game:

Edit: I see Chicago knows where it's at.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Dogfish posted:

Can someone explain to me how saving a parking spot works? I live in Ontario, where winter parking is an exciting adventure for six months out of the year, and I've never seen or heard of this. You shovel out a parking spot on the street, and then block it off? All day? Don't the traffic cops just move your stuff out of the way to clear the space so people can park there? Do municipalities not plough the streets there? None of this makes sense to me.

Yes, basically once you shovel out a parking spot, you put something in it (like a lawn chair, or a cone, or any random bulky article) to indicate that the spot is 'saved' for the person that dug it out. In theory, other people are supposed to respect the effort you put into clearing it, and look for an unmarked spot (or dig their own if they want/can). The spot would generally be blocked off like that all day if you are going to work.

This mostly happens on residential streets, which are not regularly patrolled by police compared to main roads and intersections. In a lot of places (like Boston) this behavior is both an accepted tradition, or even legitimized (legally, in Boston, you can save your space this way during a particularly heavy snowfall and for 48 hours afterward). So the police will not move your marker or give you grief - although sometime the city will clear them if it gets out of hand. Of course, someone is also free to throw away your marker and park there anyway, which many people do, and then you get stuff like people leaving angry notes (this might be a Boston thing) or outright damaging cars that 'steal' a spot, up to occasional fights/violence.

The city plows the streets, but in a lot of places they only clear the traffic lanes, not the parking areas on the sides. In Boston some main streets get fully plowed and so you aren't actually able to park there during heavy snowfall. What this means is that the plows actually shove snow into the parking area, making it more work to clear out your car and requiring you to continually clear it as the street gets re-plowed because new snow will get shoved into parked cars/spaces. Some areas with very high congestion actually truck out or melt their snow, but in a lot of areas they just pile it up as high as possible on the curbs and hope it melts on its own fast enough.

Boston actually contracts out a bunch of plowing, so some of it is done by guys with jeeps or trucks with a plow bolted to the front - they do a lot of small and residential side streets where the big plows don't go/are too busy clearing main roads.

Yes, the whole thing is kind of mental and it only persists because this is how it's regularly been done for so long and people are very defensive/aggressive about it.

I don't know how it works in other places, but in Boston people are also responsible for clearing the sidewalks in front of their homes/businesses rather than having that done by the city, which means that after a heavy snowfall the sidewalks are a total nightmare, and you will have a perfectly cleared sidewalk end a blank 3' wall of snow because that's the property line and the other guy is an absentee landlord/lazy/infirm/etc. and hasn't cleared anything yet. If you use a wheelchair you basically end up having to ride in the road until everyone gets their poo poo together.

Edit: To make this on topic, in Boston you can get fined for not clearing snow on the sidewalks and are responsible if someone slips/falls on your unshoveled snow, so not busting out the shovel as soon as possible is also BWM!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

What you were supposed to do is use your greenlight to inch forward as far as the guy blocking you allowed (within a couple inches is fine) and then just sit there glaring at him and possibly laying on the horn. Then when their light turns green, you are blocking the intersection for his direction of traffic until he can inch out of your way, at which point you finish crossing the intersection on their light (assuming someone else doesn't tail him too closely to block you, that's why you push up as close as possible initially). Obviously someone in his lane might repeat this on you, but that's ok, you still get through the intersection before your next green light and who cares what chaos is left in your wake.

There is a terrible intersection right outside my office and this basically what happens at rush hour.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Well when you max one out, what else are you supposed to do but get another one?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

On the plus side, pretty sure that hassling your friends and neighbors is a violation, so maybe they can document all that and take it to a lawyer to get some punitive damages on them. I mean, it won't compare remotely to her debt, but it might be satisfying!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

ate all the Oreos posted:

I'm pretty sure the business model of most gyms is already "let's run a gym for people who never go to the gym" tbqh

Pretty much, it just sounds like PF has found a way to make driving off the most frequent users a perk.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

If you were an out of shape kid you probably caught flak for it from your peers/teacher during gym or whatever, so when you decide to try going to the gym fifteen years later the point of reference you have for doing exercise is that, and you just sort of assume there will be people in better shape smirking and an aging alcoholic shouting at you.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yea, but what if it works out? Now they're stuck with a horse and no one can back out because it was this big romantic gift he made. Unless he's really ahead of the curve and intentionally rigged the horse to die in the next few years just in case.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Devian666 posted:

I suspect the answer would be depressing instead of living on a party boat, having daily cocaine gently caress parties with prostitutes and collecting gold plated handguns.

It will probably turn out he managed to spend it all on microtransactions for some dumb FTP game.

Wasn't there a guy whose father basically burned up his retirement on addons for an airplane FTP game?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Fortunately my retirement plan has been to die slightly after I stop working ('slightly' being however long it takes for exposure and starvation to kill me), so looks like these changes just affirm my choice!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Sundae posted:

SFO --> JFK, Taxi to Long Island, LIRR to NYP, NYP Amtrak to Boston, Bus from Boston to Nashua NH, taxi from Nashua to Manchester Airport, and then Manchester back out to SFO. Changing in everywhere under the sun. Somewhere in between, I'm supposed to visit a bunch of family, but I'm more or less just dreading the transit now. :v:
As someone with family across the world, you are indulging these people too much. Tell them you can't make it every year, start a rotation, ask why they never visit you. Didn't your wife have surgery earlier this year? (I promise I am not creeping on you). I hope this is all for beloved relatives that may die in the 2017 purges or something.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

$6k on clothes and shoes in one year for a toddler when she has free brand new clothes available.

I don't even get how she is attached to that brand either since it's not like there are very recognizable logos or styles of baby clothes from Neiman Marcus.
Holy moly. I have two kids and I don't see a point in getting them new clothes before they're 4 or 5; before that they rapidly outgrow anything before they wear it out, and you can find tons of stuff in great condition at thrift stores, or just buy cheap stuff that won't fall apart before they grow two inches. I still buy things new when its needed, but there is so much churn in toddle clothes it is ridiculous not to take advantage of it. Heck, we get clothes just from other families with older kids offloading it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

The weird thing to me is that people have been making/using liquid diet replacements for a long time, there are already a ton of them around. I don't know why everyone decided to freak out and jump on board with the one made by a literal crazy person and self-tested

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

We have kids so Christmas is a thing for them. We also made an agreement with most of the family to not do gifts between adults because we're traveling and its pain, so that's good.

We get our kids to make things for family, I always hope people aren't bothered by crude kid paintings and know they can ditch them and we won't care.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Switchback posted:

My sister had a boyfriend who's Mom was forever in financial dire straits. Yet every Christmas, Birthday, and Easter she would gift him a Snowbaby.
1. Literally nobody needs a Snowbaby
2. Certainly not a 22 year old dude in college

Even the "nice thought" angle goes out the window when the rest of the year she's calling him in a financial crisis. Might as well spend all her money on candles.

I think some of you are misinterpreting the gift opinions in this thread. If you can play with it or get some enjoyment out of it, that is utility. The gifts I don't want are things like bad smelling incense, or the 15th turtle figurine of the year, or yet another hat after my husband has said "NO MORE HATS" the last 10 years. I like thoughtful gifts, and consumables or experiences are always great, but another thing that doesn't bring me any joy/entertainment nor makes my life any easier (especially if it is heavy) is a bit of a burden. Now I have to find a gift to maintain this social dance, which is way more difficult when you're trying not to get cheap throwaway "gift for the sake of a gift" that's just going to end up in a landfill.

My in-laws moved their old furniture into our flat when they sold theirs (GWM, we got a full house of beautiful furniture) but one of the cabinets is entirely full of "gifts." That's my mother in law, she's wonderful but the gifting of generic dumb crap doesn't do it for me.

That owns, I am going to buy them for everyone I hate but am obligated to gift with.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I had never heard of them and the wikipedia article is super proud of the fact that "No other finite-probability based game provides more information to players about the status of the game."

"See, we give everyone a very clear picture of exactly how they're gonna get hosed by statistics!"

I hadn't heard of them either until now. It's depressing how many lovely ways there are to flush away money.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Don't HSA's lose all their money at the end of the year or is that FSA's

That's FSAs - although you can roll over $500 at the end of the year. HSAs just sit there until you use them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

At least he's only 23, he can take a hard lesson from this and be fine, which is much better than when this happens with someone in their 40s who decides to cash out their retirement and make big money on the market.

• Locked thread