Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Phy posted:

Could just as easily be Energon Prime, what with "Make sure you’ve filled up on Energon".

Although if we're in taint reaping territory anyway, a straight reissue of Fire Convoy/God Magnus but with hips that could actually support Omega's weight would be an all time release.

Energon Prime is too small potatoes for a HasLab.

With the new post showing the guys next to Unicron with the caption that it's an "Omega level event," we're pretty much down to three primary candidates:

1. Primus, as the Omega Lock was his main Macguffin in the Cybertron series and they're posing next to Unicron, his counterpart
2. Omega Prime, and Unicron is just there as the most famous TF Haslab project
3. Energon Omega Supreme, which would be great because it would save me a ton of money not buying Unicron Trilogy crap

The capitalized Energon does make me think maybe #3 is the front runner, but considering Cybertron Metroplex it seems like that would just fit into the usual Titan Class stuff, so why do a HasLab for it? Also seems like you'd miss most of the GEEWUN crowd on that and funding it would be a tough job with just Unicron Trilogy fans. Animated Omega Supreme I suppose could also be an option even with the "Energon" bit since he did have an energy consumption issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

XavierGenisi posted:

Which post is that, exactly? I've been looking around and all I could find is just posts with generic banners announcing the livestream and saying that the next haslab is going to be in it, as well as the "fire up your engines" and "make sure you're filled up on Energon" blurbs in the announcement. No pictures of previous haslabs or any new mention of an "Omega level event", unless I'm missing something.

It was a hashtag in the insta posts of one of the hosts. I can't find the one with a screenshot of them hawking Unicron, that may have been deleted.

They've also via texts with fans backpedaled on a "no Optimuses" rule for HasLabs they offhanded mentioned on a previous livestream, adding fuel to the RiD Omega Prime fire. That orange/red lightning background could line up well with RiD or Energon packaging design. Very hard to say.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Can't have Bombshell taking up space when there could be fifty more no-name Junkions on the shelf.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Whoa hey the Junkions we got are cool, and we only got like 4 in the Legacy line (Axlegrease, Trashmaster, Crashbar, and the tow truck one that was remolded into Axlegrease).

Complete wastes of slots. The Glup Shittos of Transformers. Wreck Gar is more than enough.

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve not seen the core class Snarl anywhere, and people definitely have it in hand. I wonder if he’s an end of theme/wave victim.

The Targets here were flooded with Core Snarls for a few weeks but now they're all gone. It's just Optimus repacks now.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

There's no such thing as "slots". The SS86 Junkions exist because they need to keep the Studio Voyager size class afloat at all (we're running out of characters) while staying within budget limitations. They also make it possible for the base Wreck-Gar mold to be as good as it is; the high r&d/tooling costs get ameliorated across his retools.

Not running out of characters if they started doing TF4 and TF5 ones...but I can understand why they wouldn't want to do that. I just don't care for Junkions and never have. Wreck Gar is a necessary evil due to his prominence but it sucks that so much of the SS line has been clogged up with those nobodies. I'd gladly take different nobodies. Those pseudo Rock Lords are great. The Fossilizers were cool. I just don't like Junkions.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

I on the other hand thought the Fossilizers were trash by virtue of them being pure partsformers, and Junkions are cool because scrap metal Mad Max poo poo is cool.

Transformers is a land of contrasts.

That's true, the partsforming was way over the line with them. But I forgive a lot for a really nice dinosaur skull sculpt.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

I guess there's some Beast Wars to finish but is there a market for a Leader Class Rampage or Depth Charge?

Probably be a few years. On the other hand, TransArts is basically out of TM1 characters at this point. Just Rampage and Depth Charge left to do.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

wait they did Transmetal/TM2 Silverbolt and Quickstrike?

Quickstrike just came out a couple weeks ago and Silverbolt is due in a couple months.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

250 bucks seems a bit much for two Leaders and a Deluxe* but I won't deny that it's tempting, if they do a Gigatron down the line that would be an immediate buy on my end as the original is still one of my all time favorites

*though having Ultra Magnus's gun become an actual Transformer is adorable, I'm sure I'm far from the only person who treated that gun as its own robot as a kid

Those are Commanders. Leaders aren't remotely that size anymore.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Eh I liked the US comics a lot. I always thought they had a tiny bit more mature themes in them (RIP Scrounge).

I also liked that they focused on other characters other than Prime and Megatron. Ratchet had a huge role, and Blaster was more than just a stereotype.

Were they GOOD comics? Nah. But I really enjoyed them, more than the cartoon truth be told

I would generally agree with this. The comic is in many ways more definitive a portrayal than the cartoon to me, especially for the characters who never got the spotlight in the show.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

I mean I do prefer the opaque windows on the new Wheeljack, but I just wish they'd only changed that and left the rest of the deco alone. I am a big toon accuracy person but that's more of an MP thing than a Deluxe thing. On the Hasbro Deluxes they just look unfinished like that.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Nodosaur posted:

Sorry, I meant TF HasLab

But it proves something - people are hungry for continuities that aren’t G1

No, it proves people will back a cool design, regardless of continuity. This "silent majority of G1 fatigue" nonsense is exactly that: Nonsense. People like Transformers, period.

Except Beast Machines. gently caress that noise.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

Beast Machines is a bad show but Vehicons are cool

TF Prime perfected the Vehicon and the BM Vehicons can see themselves out.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Beast Machines was great, but because it wasn't Japanese, people didn't like it as much as the other Japanese Transformers shows with casual disregard for American G1 continuity (Beast Wars is included in G1 continuity.)

It's me, the guy who appreciates when they swing even if they miss.

Beast Machines is hot dogshit, but I would still probably rather rewatch it than sit through RiD or the Unicron Trilogy again. The problem with BM disregarding G1 continuity is that it's claiming to BE IN THAT CONTINUITY. The Japanese shows of that era are largely their own nonsense, so that criticism of them wouldn't make any sense.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

That's not actually true at all. Beast Wars 2/Neo/Car Robots are all directly in continuity with specifically the G1 cartoon, up to and including the return of Unicron being a major plot point.

Beast Machines is in continuity (as is Beast Wars) with a non-specific version of G1 that's neither the comics or cartoon. It's making fewer claims about what is and isn't canon than JBW. People get very angry when something they've already decided they don't like seems "arrogant" or "disrespectful", I find.

I have never seen anyone complain about BM's treatment of the actual G1 era beyond "that's a dumb way for Cybertron to end up in that continuity." The problem is that it's in continuity with Beast Wars and doesn't match up to any of it at all in any way. None of the characters from BW who are in BM resemble their established selves at all, and none of that feels intentional. BW is incidentally G1, but even if it wasn't, BM would be a terrible followup to it.

Also it's been a while since I watched BW but I really don't remember any G1 comic references in it.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Looks like Transarts is doing Depth Charge first, then Rampage.

https://showzstore.com/transart-bwm-14-beast-warstransformers-depth-charge_p5984.html

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Robot Style posted:

According to the TFWiki, the show's G1 references came largely from online fans the writers were interacting with, so it wasn't an intentional decision as much as them just pulling in stuff people were suggesting without worrying about where it originates.

I kind of like the idea that Beast Era Megatron is responsible for the divergence in the Japanese and US G1 cartoon timelines.

The original timeline would have been the Japanese one, with the various small Master Transformers and the Pretenders setting the stage for the Maximal Upgrade. But when they were hauling Megatron back to Cybertron at the end of Beast Wars, he escaped during the Transwarp - with the time dilation planting him at the end of Season 3 of the G1 cartoon.
Megatron's presence changed things enough so that The Rebirth happened instead, and the show ends so abruptly because that's when Megatron starts taking over and prevents the development of techno-organic Transformers.

I guess I would watch a webseries or something about this angry little red dragon guy the size of Bumblebee running around trying to change the future while everyone tries to pretend they're not looking at him.

Edit: Actually I guess TM2 Megs is almost 40 feet tall so he'd blend in okay. But it would be funnier if he was Season 1 sized.

Keldroc fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 13, 2024

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Finally the correct use of that van mold.

The_Doctor posted:

Is Windsweeper a rename on Windcharger?

No, it's a Triggercon.

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Windsweeper

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Devastator's arms are Deluxes, his legs are Voyagers, and his torso is notably absent. Interesting.

Grimlock getting a reissue is good news, the secondary market prices on that are insane.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Knormal posted:

I really hope Devastator's not different size classes because the figures are all deluxes, but some come with combiner kibble. Titan Devastator was so close to being kibbless, I'm hoping they can refine that design.

This is my bet, yeah. Scrapper and Mixmaster probably come with the wing and some leg connectors.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Hook and Long Haul both missing, not just Long Haul. Unless that's what you were referring to.

I was referring to the two characters who form his torso, yes.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

We got an SS86 Megatron and SS86 Galvatron inbound for 2025. Be interesting to see how they handle Megatron. My guess is super accurate robot mode with usual tank mode, but they did sneak a gun mode of a sort into Bumblebee Concept Megatron.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

They do NERF guns based on Fortnite guns which are just real guns. It makes no loving sense that Megatron is not just a gun now.

In the US he'd have to be colored wild colors and have a blaze orange tip affixed. If you're doing G1 accurate, that doesn't work. So they don't.

Shiftypenguin posted:

I remember getting V1 masterpiece Megs with that plug and it was very loosely used in and very easy to remove.

I can't remember if V2 Megs had the plug too but I might have ordered him from Amazon Japan.

V2's tip was solidly glued in the metal barrel piece. You had to heat it up with a hair dryer and pry it out with pliers.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

The leak indicated it's regular Dinobot.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Nodosaur posted:

And yet not only did it succeed, it’s the fastest TF HasLab yet.

Keldroc will get after me for saying this, but there IS an appetite for these characters to come back. The TF incarnations people dismiss had a bigger impact than people think.

I don't dismiss them, I just rightfully acknowledge them as dogshit terrible animated shows. The success of the Omega Prime HasLab doesn't surprise me at all. It's the best design of the line, it's the well-regarded return to vehicle modes after the Beast Era, and it's probably the one reimagining of Optimus Prime every era of fan can agree is badass. Well, maybe not the Bayformers people but who even talks to them.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Phy posted:

There are many rooms in Primus' house.

Less pompously, I was actually thinking yesterday about how Legacy sort of G1-ified its Animated and Armada characters, and that it would be cool to re-interpret some of the better Bayverse bots through that lens instead of Studio Series. Especially non-screen ones like Wreckage, Ransack, Mindwipe, or Skyhammer.

That would be interesting. I would certainly like to see a more non-movie take on Dragonstorm or some of his components. And I do think I've said multiple times that I think the Bayverse designs are largely pretty good or at least interesting as toys, they just don't work as the characters they're supposed to be much of the time. By "Bayformers people" I am referring to a strange sliver of the fandom that believes the Bayverse versions are definitive and anything deviating from the junk sculpture aesthetic is automatically worse. I'd imagine to them Omega Prime is a crime against God or something.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

No interest in Unicron Trilogy stuff, but it's a nice touch to include a Cyber Key. Even if it doesn't do anything. Weird Cybertron Metroplex didn't get one.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Knormal posted:

The all-built-in combiners are really all I'm interested in with the third-party scene anymore. Otherwise everyone's just doing their own versions of toon-based Masterpiece figures that have existed for years, or over-stylized characters that don't appeal to me.

They're cool tricks but they're too drat small to fit any of my collection scales. I'd have to just get them to be singular display pieces and I don't have the space for that. It's a shame, because they're really clever designs.

The_Doctor posted:

MMC need to do more Reformatted/IDW figures. :smith:

Didn't they say they were completely done with that? I vaguely remember one coming out a year or two ago and that being the end of it.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Good Listener posted:

That Superion looks busy as hell though.

They're also loving terrible figures. That Silverbolt is probably the worst third party toy I've handled in years. As a plane nerd I was into the idea of "realistic" colored Aerialbots but all I can say is stay far, far away from that set. Just awful quality control and transformation design.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

I think it's more likely that rid01 and the Unicron trilogy brought back earthbound vehicle modes and hasbro wanted vehicle modes to have windows.

This is likely it, although it is true that Episode 1's insane overproduction and over-ordering mistakes changed toy distribution forever, as the retailers wanted to avoid having 300 Chancellor Valorums choking the shelves ever again. Next time you go to Walmart or Target and the TF section is a wasteland, remember that conservative toy stocking goes back to that fateful May of 1999.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Macross Plus is 100% the pinnacle of the Macross followups. Nothing else comes remotely close.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

The Last Call posted:

I actually liked the Silverbolt and BA pairing, it was rather unique at the time. And unexpected. You had the good knight like guy and the clever bad girl and somehow it kinda worked. It helped since that was a rarity for such programming and especially for Transformers.

Beast Machine ruined every character.

Silverbolt becoming angsty emo guy for what he was forced to do and BA for basically becoming the Mom of the whole group who lost every edge to her.

You half expected her to start serving cookies and being the secretary of the group.

Yeah, all this. BA and Silverbolt's relationship in BW is one of the most believable bits of long term writing in the entire show. She starts out using him and ends up caring about him against her better judgment because he's just that drat earnest about it. BM really was an astounding bit of character assassination across the board.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Nodosaur posted:

She only had a chance because the writers made her that way. There was nothing suggesting she was more “redeemable” until Silverbolt introduced it because again, she was pretty bad beforehand, just more intelligent than the likes of Inferno.

Regardless it’s not about who realistically has a chance, it’s about Silverbolt’s sympathies. He could have had hope for all of them, no matter how unlikely their redemption was in reality. The Transmutate episode (ugh) could have been a springboard for him to have an interesting dynamic with Rampage, for instance. But his entire character revolves around BA and BA only.

So Blackarachnia's face turn is forced but Silverbolt suddenly striking up a shared rapport with the personification of violence who literally feeds on causing fear and pain to others wouldn't have been? Not really buying it, and even Transmutate pushes Rampage's character structure to the very limit of believability, granted without crossing the line. It's true that the knight errant/bad girl thing is pretty run of the mill sexist plotting, but Blackarachnia being the redeemable one is set up in Season 1. She's resisting Tarantulas' shell program from the beginning, defying him and Megatron regularly, and enacting her own plans to get away from and supersede them as figures of authority as far back as The Trigger two-parter. It's a very short leap from that to finding the Maximal beneath. Was there a better way to do that than a romance? Maybe, but considering romantic relationships in Transformers were barely explored things at the time, it's a way of expanding what was only touched on in a rudimentary way with Tigatron and Airrazor. And we sure weren't getting Chromedome/Rewind on syndicated afternoon TV in 1997 so hetero it had to be.

Keldroc fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 23, 2024

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

The Last Call posted:

Thankfully third parties and accessories do what Hasbro doesn't.

There is no version of Ginrai that doesn't have the truck front on the robot's back. Both the toy and the anime depict him that way. Nobody is going to make one that doesn't look like that.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve never seen core Snarl in stores.

For a couple of weeks the Targets here had dozens. Never before, never again.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Good Listener posted:

Seeing it so thin and not chunky as heck is weirding me out like, yes PM Optimus had red fists but it looks wrong when they're on arms with actual elbows.

Yeah my first reaction was that the red fingers are "creepy" somehow. No sir, I don't like it.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

:oh:

This doesn't seem like an upgrade to Power Baser to me.

I have to agree. And I think Power Baser looks like poo poo.

Save us, XTB.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Tonight's Masked Singer was Transformers themed. For some reason.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Did they sing The Touch while dressed as Sky Lynx?

No, but all the songs were from the live action movies. And they did play the G1 cartoon theme and have Cullen voicing Optimus. It was weird but effort was clearly put in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Having lived in Louisiana, it’s amazing how something so bland has spread so widely across the US.

I have never lived in Louisiana, but Raising Cane's is definitely the most "this is it?" bland-rear end letdown of any "omg it's so good" fast food chain I've experienced since In-N-Out. It would barely be acceptable as a side nobody ever ordered at a pizza place.