Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Captain Magic posted:

I thought (rather significant MTMTE spoiler) we saw him playing cards or something when all the forged bots are seen dying? Was that not him? .

Edit: yeah he's stacking blocks. Not exactly a high-function activity but not brain dead, right?
Pretty sure that was Jenga. Twice this year, Jenga gets to be associated with death of cool characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?

The_Doctor posted:

Am I allowed to go if I tell people they're being embarrassments to humanity?

Yes. You just need to have it coincide with a junk punch while wearing hulk hands.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
Out of curiosity, was A3+ the only dealer selling them?

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
Wasn't Diesel actually originally announced as part of a different product line? He does have a different designer than the other 4. Personally, I think he looks better with all the stupid trailer stuff piled on. It's silly enough to entertain me.

Now, what I truely don't get is the outrage over the new igear seekers. Them only being in three packs is a legit complaint, but 100 bucks each is fairly normal for the size, and these aren't a literal KO like the other seekers they did. If I could swing the money for that Thundercracker alone, I'd be tempted.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
For anyone still looking: MP Soundwave has been available on the TRU website since last night.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?

GD_American posted:

ok, so who's going to be the new Autobot Phase Sixer?

Read the prose story.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
The thing that was most heartwrenching / the biggest dick move was that Tailgate was basically 2 weeks old when the comic started.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?

Keldroc posted:

Seriously, folks, get your hands on a Code and you will never look back.

Unless you're me. I thought Code was lame, sold it, and un-pre-ordered the others.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
Another possibility: bad battery connection. When I first got mine, it would only occasionally make any noise at all, and usually just the first of the set. Most of the time, hitting the button did nothing, but I fixed it all with a chunk of tin foil stuffed in the battery compartment, just like we did back in the 80s.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
There's also the guys that either break them down and sell individual parts or combine multiple junkers to build a mintish one for a profit.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
That cannon isn't the fault of the toy, that's just how that gun looks. The toy is pretty much spot on for the design which is from back in 2010 and wasn't done with a toy in mind.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
That. To give a little more detail: last stand is pretty much standalone and explains almost anything you need to know. It sets up a lot of world building that's referenced quite a bit since then.

The Drift trade isn't a bad choice for standalone world building and backstory either.

As for the series, MTMTE vol. 1 includes
"The Death of Optimus Prime," which starts off both series and MTMTE #1 comes before RID #1. After that, it's a while before they cross again.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
The D-Void manifested out of the dead universe and made all the decepticons combine into the deceptigod. Prime opened the matrix in vector sigma's chamber and that was the end of the Transformers ongoing. Not a single bit of it made any sense or was enjoyable at all.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?

Gammatron 64 posted:

Be nice if his hands didn't stick out in city mode and his eye lights were a toggle instead of flashed when he talked, but I think I have enough guns for him.
I wish that there'd been some chest-box rotation so the "vehicle mode" didn't look completely stupid. And bonus: if they did, it'd pretty much be an inverted transformation SDF-1.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'm expecting Leader Megatron and Jetfire to be repackaged, maybe repainted RotF molds.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
There's quite a bit of Takara-only stuff in that dropdown, though, so I wouldn't use that as confirmation of a US release of anything that's come out over in Japan.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
GammatronMonkeyPawed.png

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
Flying metal shark from RiD. He almost got into the "hall of fame."

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?

LightsGameraAction posted:

Going off of that list, it mentions two "TRA" figures. What could those be? Last I checked that stood for Transformers: Animated.

Virtually everything on those lists begins with TRA. It's TRAnsformers abreviated.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?

Veg posted:

What panel?

Is it Swerves ring tone?
For me it was
the panel that began with "SIR!"

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
It doesn't lock. Never said it did. I have... *goes and counts* 8 of the mold, and 7/8 are pretty drat solid. 1 is a bit looser than the others, but has no issues with being posed. I used to have a youtube video of me swinging one around by the arm, but that account got wiped. If you do have a loosey goosey one, when posing, hold place your finger and thumb on the center of the chest/bumper and the middle of the back/roof: should be a pretty natural way of holding it and there's no chance of the chest mechanism moving while you move the arms.

Edit:
Here's a quick video I just did with the closest one on hand. The original video was with the first version of the mold. And if anyone was wondering which one was looser than the other 7: it's Stepper.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkAtIsDTq8g

SpikeMcclane fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 8, 2013

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?

The Rage posted:

Answers my question perfectly. It's not locked, you're holding it, which is exactly how I move the arms on mine. I thought somebody claimed that theirs locked down and could not be moved at all once done. None of mine are loose, that chest just doesn't lock into anything for anyone. :ms:

Yes, but the point of the video is that I'm only touching the arm and swinging him around trying to make the chest flop open, but there's enough friction in the gearing that it doesn't move.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KO9EoerhJs

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?

The Rage posted:

Grab your Jazz. Put his hand at his hip, arm straight down. Don't touch his chest, hold him by the legs. Move the arm forward as if raising it to point at you. Tell me what happens to his chest. If you say "it never moves, his arm comes up perfectly" you're fuckin' lying.

Okay. This is beyond stupid.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?

Why cookie Rocket posted:

So is Jazz's lack of chest lock-down a minor issue that you don't mind (but Spike's video is deceptive about, as he asserts that it locks), or does Jazz's chest lock down perfectly (Spike's Jazz's head being turned is pure coincidence and I'm Joe McCarthy) and you're spending paragraphs trying to defend a defect that doesn't exist as "no big deal"? You're so desperate to argue and be contrary that your whiteknighting of Spike is in conflict with your whiteknighting of Hasbro.

Can you please stop saying I'm being deceptive or a liar? :smith: I rotated the head on that Jazz and grabbed Wheelie for you. It hadn't even occurred to me that the head could hold it together, Mr. McCarthy. If it does so on yours, excellent, I hope that that knowledge somehow makes the toy more enjoyable for you. Tolerances differ and I don't like being insulted. As I said earlier, my Stepper is looser than the others and his chest moves much more freely, so I can readily believe there are plenty of the mold out there that are floppy, but with 7 out of 8 examples I've held behaving the same, and the other one the "problem" is a non-issue to me, it's going to remain my favorite deluxe. Oh, and this is what I said when someone asked if it locked that started all this:

SpikeMcclane posted:

It doesn't lock. Never said it did. I have... *goes and counts* 8 of the mold, and 7/8 are pretty drat solid. 1 is a bit looser than the others, but has no issues with being posed. I used to have a youtube video of me swinging one around by the arm, but that account got wiped. If you do have a loosey goosey one, when posing, hold place your finger and thumb on the center of the chest/bumper and the middle of the back/roof: should be a pretty natural way of holding it and there's no chance of the chest mechanism moving while you move the arms.

Now can we go back to enjoying poor spending habits, lumps of plastic and metal, and the fiction that supports them without being jerks to one another?

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?

404GoonNotFound posted:

My Bludgeon's treads got all dried out and one of them snapped off inside his shoulder. Can we complain about that for 2 pages? :smith:
Meant to comment on this a while back, but my condolences. That sucks.

Iced Cocoa posted:

At the end of #21.

It's in the short story. Fort Max decides to stay and guard Luna 1 with Red Alert when the Lost Light leaves.

And Ultra Magnus made him the new duly appointed enforcer of the Tyrest Accord.
What it basically comes down to is that the prose part at the end of 21 came from Roberts being a bit off on pacing (I believe this is his first professional gig) and not wanting to leave the epilogue undone for the better part of a year. Issue 22 had to be done around the same time as issue 5 because it's the Skids pack-in and Dark Cybertron was locked in. Another slightly related fun fact: the solicits are written are written and locked in months before the books are even scripted.

Besides, you should read the prose stories that get added in occasionally because Roberts is better at prose than scripts anyways.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?

Rita Repulsa posted:

Blaster (I'd like to see his marvel storylines and character retreaded)

Toaster is confirmed to be on the Lost Light.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?

Iced Cocoa posted:

Are there any numbers of sold issues for each series perhaps?
I only looked at October, but there are numbers for physical copies: MTMTE 22 sold 9248, RID 21 sold 9220, so MTMTE is barely winning there with a difference of 28 copies. Comics with more sales include Sonic the hedgehog (10982) , MLP (23686 and IDW's highest seller) and the top seller was Walking Dead (310584) followed by Batman (124652).

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?

Lepecard posted:

Ok, now imagine him fused with Dygenguar

I'd say more Thrudgelmir.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
The image that started it was this:

Everything else in the illustration is an existing toy and the Rodimus pictured there is easy to make out as a head swap on the Springer mold, so probably something close to this:

It works way better than it should.

As for $550 Scorponok, other figures on the small end of voyager size by the same company are around $100 (edit: well, $140 on BBTS due to markup); I'm kind of surprised they didn't try to go for closer to $1000. (and it was from WonderFest, not TFcon.)

SpikeMcclane fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 30, 2013

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
Well, the Megatron and Optimus are each a Takara Tomy Mall (which from my understanding is like Bandai's Tamashii Web exclusives) and eHobby exclusive. I would expect somewhere around a 0% chance of it getting a hasbro release. Maybe some sold through funpub, since they have a partnership with eHobby, but then you're dealing with funpub and the previous time they did anything with eHobby, it was more expensive than just buying from eHobby via a middleman service. And they didn't retool anything on the others: the head mold was already there from the GDO Megatron.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
Well, Shia was because of Spielberg having him get a leading role in everything he was involved in at the time. I hope things work out for a 5th, though, so we can get The Rock to star. It'll be bad, but atleast the worse a movie is, the more charm he seems to add to it.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
The thing I find crazy about the FoC Shockwave is that the remold has a peg that you could use to actually make him have a gun mode held by another toy.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
Thundertron? I think he's not Cybertronian.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
That's a hell of a lot of Tony.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I think I semi-defended it in some iteration of the thread. I thought it was pretty good for what it was: a sequel where the new writing staff were literally lied to about the characters and events of the previous series. It certainly had plenty of problems, but I don't think Isenberg & Skir's writing itself wasn't one of them. Besides, they've both gone on to write some of the best transformers cartoon episodes since then.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?

Keldroc posted:

Well, let's not go crazy. Isenberg's episodes in TFA are pretty good, but nothing Skir has written for any TF series goes beyond average in my book. None of it makes up for Beast Machines, which is still a pretty awful show concept even if you remove the Beast Wars character assassination from it. If it had been a standalone show it would just be a mostly forgotten waste of a couple of years of the franchise, but the BW ruination is what gives the hatred legs.
For a transformers cartoon, average is freakin' stellar. Being some of the best episodes is a pretty low bar.
Animated was fun and for the most part did referrential right, but the novelty kind of wore off, especially with post-show mouthing off by certain people poisoning it a bit.
Transitioning this a bit, because I'm not going to argue that Beast Machines is actually good. Just that I didn't think it was the worst Transformers has had to offer and that I blame executive meddling instead of the makeup of the writing staff.
Prime was a giant ball of wasted potential, but the three episodes Skir got writing credit on were some of the more interesting ones. I liked them better than the 4 Isenberg did, which were better than the majority of the show. Steven Melching, another major Beast Machines writer wrote alot of the other decent to good Prime episodes. And for the record: Mairghread Scott wrote the best episode of Prime, Chain of Command; one that I actually have chosen to watch multiple times.

GrimGypsy posted:

Has Hasbro ever considered doing direct-to-DVD movies in the way that Marvel and DC have? I know this is a reach; but I wonder if something like 'Last Stand of the Wreckers' or something based on the current comics would do okay sales? With the movies and tv shows and toys and comics all apparently doing pretty well, maybe it would sell well just by association.
It would very much depend on how the licensing for cartoons, comics, and movies are all laid out, who would get a cut of it if they made it, and if there's any exclusivity issues. A company did a motion comic version of Autocracy for IDW, which was actually more unpleasant to try to read than the comic version, but that's still a very different thing from a direct to dvd movie like you're talking about. What would make it hopeful, however, is that a few months ago IDW spawned a new company specifically to copy what you're talking about and make things like direct-to-dvd movies based on their properties. Last Stand was a pretty common answer given when they asked fans what they'd like to see be made.

SpikeMcclane fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Dec 19, 2013

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
For whatever reason, Japan does not like giant robots that are sentient. Piloted giant robots are okay, and small sentient robots are okay, and giant robots piloted by a smaller robot (or the big robot being an extension of the smaller one) are all okay, though, so I have no idea. *shrugs*
If they do another Transformers anime any time soon, I'm guessing it'll be a "the toys themselves are alive" show, since that's pretty much where the genre has gone lately.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I figure someone's going to suggest that there be a show that's American written and japanese animated, but that's what we just had with Prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?

Blackheart posted:

What else are Unique Toys known for?
They're rumored to be the same folks as CHMS, so knock-offs. Only thing they've released so far is that predaking that's a KO of a modified G1 Predaking.