Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I did a run with Richard only and it was pretty fun trying to get As and A+s in all the levels. I only got half of them but it was better than cheesing it with Zack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

For some reason it seems like the steam store page doesn't specify the difference between the deluxe edition and the regular one. I assume it's just the soundtrack?

Not that that's a bad thing I mean, Hotline Miami is the one game where getting the soundtrack in a convenient download is actually worth a bunch of dollars.

It's a Remix EP and a character pack for Payday 2.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I am immensely grateful for Tony's ability to kill fat guys on his own.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I had quite a bit of fun, even if I wasn't the best. I hope to find my stride and take a crack at hard mode this weekend.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

What's the last level of the game called? I want to know how close I am to finishing it.

It's called Apocalypse, but you won't see a title card for it. I don't remember what the one before that is called, but it's the last scored one with the Son.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Ddraig posted:

Skateboard is in No Mercy, I believe.

It has a pretty brutal execution. You place it in their mouth and curb stomp them with it

loving Christ, I'm glad I didn't pick that one up.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Geight posted:

Buddy, that's how I ended up doing it on normal. I'm not gonna make the cut for hard, am I? :suicide:

Speaking of, should I use the chapter select or New Game to see the aforementioned Newgame+ intro?

It's New Game.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Meiteron posted:

Question, how exactly do I unlock the secret mission, Abyss? I went through Jake's third mission and didn't die on the top floor, got the alternate ending to that mission, snagged the floppy disk. Then when it has the scene with the Journalist I took the disk, got the achievement, and he mentioned it to the Detective on his way out.

But then nothing; it cut straight through to the power plant chapter and now I have control of the Journalist again and nothing's changed. Do I just keep playing?

Also, replaying the power plant chapter taught me two things:

1) Flamethrower is loving awesome
2) The Soldier's missions, if none of the others, are Dark Souls hard in that they seem impossible on first attempt but are hella easy on later ones when you know what to do. Ok, the flamethrower might have helped a bit, but I cleared it with like 4 deaths total so it's still mostly true.

Level select.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Lasher posted:

People trying to get all the weapon kills, there's a really easy to miss one on Jakes level. As soon as you start on the reception table is a glass bottle.

2 more to go.

Really? Son of a bitch!

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I went back to Hotline Miami 1 and realized that I hadn't gotten all A+s yet, as well as the puzzle pieces since I hadn't touched it since the major update, so I figured, eh, what the hell.

Went through Assault as Tony loving around after finding the piece in the back on the first floor and proceeded to get an A- off of what I thought was basically nothing.

I also managed to get to loving 19x combo in a level on (I think) a Solider level in 2 and was a bit upset that I lost it before I could hit the last guy.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I made an S rank video of Death Wish if anyone is interested (I just strung together the parts where I didn't die)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucnnlev1LcY

The twins really are the best. I don't use their gun to kill anyone, just to lure enemies

I love this poo poo.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

CJacobs posted:

But now there is proof. Photographic evidence, some might say.

Boooooo!

I've finally gotten the hang of Assault in HLM1 long enough to get an A+, so now I've got two more to go.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Why do some level screens have blood dripping and others don't?

Usually it's a sign that an important character is going to bite it. The Henchman dies after Execution is finished, for example.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Meiteron posted:

It's kind of a stretch but I saw it as set up for the eventual assassination of the presidents by 50 blessings. Jake gets the floppy from a 50 blessings higher-up; Evan takes it from Jake's possessions and finds it's a list of addresses. He goes to the address and finds a 50 blessing building, and at the end a bunch of masked vigilantes are there yelling at him to get out. They don't kill him, because they think he's with the 50 blessings people, and specifically say they agreed not to go out at night.

Then at the end of the game right before the nukes go off there is the news broadcast about a bunch of masked vigilantes killing the Russian president. I assumed those vigilantes are the guys you met.

As for why the place is abandoned when you go in and full of enemies when you go out I have no idea beyond Dennaton thinking "oh right have to put actual gameplay in this level"

I figured some thugs knew about these guys who wear animal masks and decided to go check it out. Considering what the Fans did/have been doing, it wasn't that out there at first. The problem then becomes "how the hell did they know to check that building" but it's as close to making sense of it as I can.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Songbearer posted:

Tip: Knock down an enemy as Evan and keep smacking him until he dies. Do it twice and watch what happens. It's amazing.

I tried this and it never kicked in for me. They die in three hits, yeah, but do I keep hitting them beyond that?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Do I have to do it one after the other, or do I get some leeway?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Songbearer posted:

I believe that if you wait too long he starts to calm down, so ASAP is preferable.

Well, poo poo, that's something to try out when I get back home.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Skunkrocker posted:

:allears:

You're my goddamn hero.

Also seems March 16th actually didn't mean anything and was just a fun coincidence. No level editor for us. :smith:

I'm sure they'll get it in before the month is out, at least. Just gotta wait and practice until then.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I beat Death Wish on Hard and I think if I can figure out how to tackle the first two screens, the rest should come naturally.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Getting really close to the endgame on Hard. gently caress the prison. I'll pick it up from Act Six sometime tomorrow.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Well, I beat Hard mode. I'll try improving my scores later, but for now, I'm taking a break.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Considering Richter cares about his mom and should definitely have been aware of the Russian invasion years ago, he must've realized how stupid an idea it was to take her there. Staying in Miami isn't much better, nuke notwithstanding, but at least he knows the place well enough to avoid anyone who would take a crack at him.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Holy poo poo, I was expecting him to die, but not like that.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Geight posted:

Isn't it The Way Home by Magic Sword?

It's that, yes.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I just rushed in with the flamethrower and after a handful of attempts, I broke through. poo poo was intense, though.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
They can still get clocked by a melee weapon. I've even had to punch a few out on Hard at the last second. Just think of them like a dog who can round corners stupid well.

Edit: Whoops, misread the part where you do actually hit them half the time. My bad.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I went through Normal and Hard and got about 10k from all the gently caress-ups that occurred, plus all the kills I've been getting from shooting for A+ on every scene. It's not that out there, but I see how it'd get annoying fast.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Well what I mean is, they found out what Biker was looking at (which you see the result of in his timeline) and so they have someone kill Jacket just in case he also gained the info Biker did. The message you get after the regular level is over basically says that they know Biker is going there to find out some deep 50 blessings secrets, which he does just before Jacket arrives. Therefore, even though they sent Jacket there to stop Biker and he did by killing him, he was unsuccessful in what they actually wanted him to do which was stopping Biker from checking out the files. That's how I chose to interpret Jacket getting shot, anyway.

Well, both managed to make it out of the scuffle alive, so even though Jacket believed he got Biker, the fact that both lived must have been a good enough reason to take out Jacket.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Brosnan posted:

Yeah I'm talking on a scene-by-scene level of granularity, not just in general.

I could probably do a write-up in a while once I get some time to myself, unless someone else already has it mostly done.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I seem to remember that the creator has to beat the level before it's allowed to go up, so that'll cut down on a lot of tedious bullshit levels right off the bat. I'm anticipating at what people can do with it, honestly.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
While I wouldn't doubt that some fan remakes of official maps could do it better, it'd take a while and several dozen attempts that go too far in the other direction and make it a cakewalk. By that point, I'd get sick of them even if it was better than the original. I'd much rather that people not bother with that at all and simply make their own levels and wow us that way since there are bound to be people out there who have some great ideas for a level layout. I'm still excited for these levels, just slightly less so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Skyscraper posted:

Well, that's fine, nobody's going to make you play them. You can just wait until something good comes out, which won't be after the editor first releases. This will also be true of maps that aren't fan remakes. It'll all be on Steamworks, and you don't actually have to experiment with bad levels just to wait for that evolution to happen. I wouldn't even play it for the first couple weeks, unless you want to explore every single variation of maps shaped like dicks.

Yeah, I know what to expect from what's in store. Though dick maps would be good for a five minute laugh, I guess.

• Locked thread