Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

bobfather posted:

Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

Starting at $24,200 (in direct competition with the base Golf GTI), the Mazdaspeed 3 is no newcomer. Debuted in the 2007 model year, the Mazdaspeed 3 has been delighting drivers for years with its mix of huge power combined with paltry price. The most recent model features 263hp driving the front wheels.

You forgot the best feature of the MS3 - the insane torque steer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I owned one for four years and put 100,000 miles on it. I'm not being critical of it, I'm dead serious :)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Phone posted:

Ugh shut the gently caress up about the Fiesta St, don't make me trade in my Mazda2 for one.

I gotta stay strong even if it has 85 more horsepower and 110 more ft-lbs of torque.

I still feel like Mazda is making us all miss out by not even putting a big Skyactiv or the old 2.5L NA MZR in the Mazda2, if not the DISI.

Definitely keep up on the ST posts, it's on the list of cars I want to test drive / hopefully replace the Ranger with.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Laranzu posted:

First oil changes bring out the worst in car forums.

Yes they do, so let's move on.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Laranzu posted:

And holy poo poo does the clutch smell terrible by the end of a run.

It really shouldn't unless you're slipping it a lot more than you should be.

And the fact that the trap speed is still 93MPH+ tells me that you are either insanely traction limited, and/or you're slipping the clutch to an insane amount. A 93MPH trap should easily go with a 15.0 or even 14.5 ET.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Awesome build, though I wonder why on the swap? Seems like for the same money you could fully build the 1.6L with a forged bottom end to handle more boost / higher compression and make up the 400cc difference pretty quickly.

Edit: Just realized he didn't start with an ST, that would explain most of it. I think I'd still target the 1.6L turbo over the 2.0L since it should be more of a bolt-in.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BoostCreep posted:

I'm debating trading my Grand Cherokee in on a Fiesta ST but I'm concerned about interior space. Do those of you here that own one ever feel cramped? I need to make sure I can take the car on a road trip for a couple days with two suitcases in the rear hatch and enough room for two people and a 75lb dog.

That sounds like you need to change "Fiesta ST" to "Focus ST".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If size is your concern - see if they'll let you test it on a regular Fiesta? I can't imagine anything about the ST's seats would change whether or not you can get a dog in them.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Just Chompin' posted:

I really want to test the Veloster. It seems like it's the most unknown. The Fiat is super cool, but the more I look into it, it seems like the driving position might be untenable for someone my size(6'2").

I think Holdbrooks is a bit taller than that. I'm 6'4" and I've been meaning to test-drive one for ages now.

I actually found the Mazda2 to be quite comfortable when I test-drove it, but it's about as hot as ice cream.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bovril Delight posted:

Supposedly the Speed3 will be back as a 2018 model. Bit of a lag there.

To be fair, the original came out three years into the Mazda3 run, and the second-gen was more carryover than not. The 2.3L DISI they used is out of production too, since the CX7 was discontinued.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

Test drove a Fiesta ST today, I liked it pretty well and told the salesman three times that I wanted to try a focus St for comparisons sake.

I mentioned that I wasn't interested in any of the colors they had on the lot and he outright refused to let me drive a can that "I had no intention of buying."

Well nice job buddy I'm gonna let you waste a bunch of time trying to find a car I want and then tell you to gently caress right off.

This is why I hate the dealership process so much, but it's also a good reason why to give as little info as possible to the salesperson.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dr.Caligari posted:

:dance:

Now there's something to be excited about.. Although history tells me I probably shouldn't buy the first year models. 4

(well ok, probably not any year model at all)

It's also almost guaranteed to be straight up bullshit. Unless Mazda has finally found something on the Rotary that nobody has ever figured out (how to make it fuel efficient) there's just no way they could afford to take a massive hit on their CAFE sheets with a rotary.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GutBomb posted:

I did already. It fits in the middle with the front seats all the way back just fine.

What car seat? The combination of a Graco baby bucket and our MS3 for eight months was pretty much reason number one why I have a CRV instead now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GutBomb posted:

Britax Marathon 70. It was around $250.

That'll help. We didn't switch ours to a convertible until a few months after we got the Honda (Britax Advocate, basically that thing plus some giant poofy side protection things).

Now that she's front-facing I think I could get her into a much smaller car no problem again, but it'd be down to convincing my wife to go back down to a smaller hatchback, and I bought that Honda planning to run it into the ground.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GutBomb posted:

People on the ST forums seem to say you get 20HP extra with premium and that sounds like horseshit to me. Car forum people are the worst people on the planet.

The dealer gave it to me full, I have no idea what was in it at that point. I doubt the dealer put premium in but who knows. When I refilled it this weekend I put premium in because all of my previous cars required it and it's become habit. My next tank I'm planning to put 87 in to see if I notice a difference. I doubt I'm going to. 20HP is a big difference. I'd expect that kind of jump with E85 but not just jumping from 87 to 93, but maybe I'm wrong.

Granted, it's the 2.3L Ecoboost in the Mustang, buuuuut...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ilkhan posted:

Also one of my complaints. At some point you can't convince people to spend more on a Focus that starts at like $15k regardless of how much of a difference you get in engine/brakes/AWD/etc...

With everything else Ford has been doing, I find it very hard to believe they won't price this at a point where they'll sell every one they build with relative ease. It's a halo car of sorts, not a volume play.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

opengl128 posted:

Check with IOC, pretty sure he had over 100k on his.

124k when I traded it in. Far from the most reliable car I've ever owned but not the worst (gently caress you 280ZX)... just a bit spendy here and there. I detailed it out here.

Still loved that car. I'll get another hot hatch someday.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

Maybe I'm just spoiled now by the miata

The Miata's gearbox will literally spoil you on any other stick ever. The only one I've driven any real distance that was close to my NB is the current-gen Mazda3. My MS3's shifter was honestly kinda poo poo.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Pardon me for veering off-topic a little, but I'm a dumb idiot who likes to post and I'm curious about why manufacturers build gearboxes with longer throws in the first place. Would you care to explain this to me like I'm a person who never learned how to drive stick?

It's the difference between playing Goldeneye with a worn-out N64 controller, and playing *insert PC FPS here* with a good mouse and keyboard.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

So I use Bridgestone RE71R's in the winter. Which tires should I switch to for summer that will have better grip for worse economy? :smug:

Get some Hoosiers, bro.

Sat in a Fiesta ST at Long Beach this past weekend. It pretty much ruins the backseat once I get comfortable, but my youngest brother still managed to cram into it behind me so it must still count as a five-seater, right? :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sigma X posted:

If dusting went DOWN when you got HPS I shudder to think of what it must have been like before.

I had the same deal happen with my MS3. The OEM dust is pretty loving awful, but the HPS pads do give up a bit of initial bite.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

crazzy posted:

I just sold my wife's 2010 speed 3. Most reliable car we've ever owned.

My '07 was easily the least reliable car I've ever owned (especially in terms of the money required to repair it when poo poo went wrong) but I still loving loved it. I'm also thoroughly convinced I had some of the worst reliability of any MS3 save for the guys who actually blew up engines, so take that for what it's worth.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you want to prove it to yourself, get a used oil analysis. Interestingly my WJ is the only vehicle I've ever run synthetic in and analyzed, and not been able to go more than 3k miles. Even my MS3 was safe for 7500 miles on Pennzoil Platinum.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's also likely to be an extremely mild tune, and priced higher than what you'd normally pay.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Color me impressed, that wasn't the case with a lot of other factory-supported mods.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

wolrah posted:

Why not go right there rather than popping in to fourth and fifth just to pop right back out?

Because:

ilkhan posted:

Long as you give the engine time to spin down before releasing the clutch pedal again there's no extra wear. Double clutching will reduce wear on the synchros, but it's not a huge deal in the big picture.

The fifth-gear synchro on my NB Miata eventually got a bit unhappy because I did 1-2-5 too many times without giving it enough time to slow down. Not enough to make shifting 3-5 or 4-5 any sort of a problem, but enough that (when I last drove it a few years ago) you had to wait to do a 2-5 shift.

This was over the course of, say, 50-60k miles, but not something I'd intentionally do anymore.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean it is a hatch, not a trunk :haw:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What car has a recommended pressure of 38 PSI? Genuinely curious, everything I've dealt with has been in the 30-35 range, usually 32.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

scuz posted:

Tire sidewall. I'll snap a photo when I get home. It's also marked as such on the sticker inside the gas cap cover, unless I'm reading that wrong.

Sidewall is the safe maximum pressure for the tire, not the recommended pressure. I suppose a car could recommend a pressure that high, but that would be really odd...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Lilbeefer posted:

Does seafoam cean that?

It might if you use it regularly, but it didn't make a loving dent in the super-baked deposits on my MS3 at ~100k miles.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bovril Delight posted:

Did you dump it into the tank? I did this and blew enormous clouds through the neighborhood.

Removed intake manifold and used Seafoam Deep Creep, among other things, directly on the valves. That poo poo was on there hard.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's a 2013 on Beepi for just over $11k. I certainly don't have the money to get it even if I sold my Jeep (and I don't want to sell the Jeep!) but drat it is tempting.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

Mostly its that small fast cars don't have a huge profit margin.

I somehow think that at $40k, Ford is probably doing just fine on the RS.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

I can see turning the airbags off as being an issue. Just buy a car that lets you disable the nanny controls 100% like the R and RS :)

Would those even fully disable the brake-assist differential, though? It seems like that gets classified less as a "nanny" and more as a cost-savings way to avoid the cost of a mechanical limited slip.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

The smoking tire guy did

He can probably call it a business expense.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Christobevii3 posted:

2x6 stair step in front with two pieces or concrete paver to angle it type thing

I always just laid a 2x4 in front of each ramp with my MS3. Just enough height to get the air dam clear of the ramps.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I bumped mine to 500 CSL and my six-month premium for both the CRV and WJ is still under $600. Once you get into low-risk brackets it's just cheap as gently caress.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

When I did the passenger and rear mounts on my MS3, I immediately wished I had done them sooner. Keeping the engine still makes a huge difference.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't miss mine but I do miss what it was. If I had the room I'd grab some sort of hot or warm hatch again. Just maybe one not nearly as expensive as the MS3 to run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

So one with 150k+ on it is a bad idea?

It's not like those are unfixable things, but if I was going to buy an MS3 with that kind of mileage, I'd probably plan on budgeting for a turbo and timing.

And yes, I fully lost the reliability lottery on mine. Throttle body, wheel bearing that wouldn't let go of a stub axle, shifter cables and transmission seal right before a road trip, upper engine mount... Only the last one was something I could even replace with an upgrade. It had developed an intermittent miss at high load and the air conditioning worked like poo poo when I traded it in.