Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The GTI loses bench-racing wise but I have never found it to be underpowered. The clutch and stick are not great, but power isn't awful. The next one will have slightly more power (like 220?) and the performance pack version will have 230, I think.

VW has been underrating the MK6 GTI for a while - APR dyno'd it at 222/222 instead of the 200/207 reported. It certainly doesn't feel like it's down 60 some HP on the ST, that's for drat sure.

The Mk7 is bumped to 220/258 with the power pack being 230/270 plus larger brakes and a real limited slip up front, and both will come with summers. I really love my Mk6 and chose it over the ST even knowing it wasn't as fast, but by all accounts so far the Mk7 is going to set the bar again. C&D got a 5.6 0-60 out of a manual GTI. DSG is still going to be a couple clicks quicker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kl8AP6CoyI

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2015-volkswagen-gti-vs-2013-ford-focus-st-comparison-test

I'm really excited to see how the new WRX turns out, and also if a Mazdaspeed version of that GORGEOUS new Mazda3 comes out. Hatches rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I want to wrap my GTI in Montana Green.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I even rode home from the hospital when I was born in a hot* hatch.

*well, by early 80's standards it was hot - 5.0 V8 with 150hp.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I tried out the economy tune when I had an AccessPort on my WRX, and it did nothing.

Eventually I'll do an APR tune on my GTI but I have 50 months/44k miles left on my powertrain warranty and VW/Audi are doing checksums now. :(

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

roger wilco posted:

I just sort of feel like it's really boggy before the turbo spools up. I suppose that's expected with a 2.0. I really don't want it to scream off the line though since it's my wife's DD and she has no interest in pushing the envelope speed-wise while grabbing the groceries at the local Kroger.

EDIT: when I was actually going for good launches I was launching at around 2-2300 rpm.

No launch control on the ST?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Two hot hatches I'd love to have:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOA5YN6ryz4

But this one's mine, and I think it's swell:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

doogle posted:

Mine counts, right?

Nope, too fast.

That thing rules.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

In Drive the DSG will short shift, take up the clutch slowly, and be generally lame and clunky. In Sport, it holds shifts until 6k unless you're really feathering it and downshifts aggressively with tons of engine braking.

If you're used to a manual trans and you're driving it in anger, put it in manual. It's maybe less "engaging" vs stirring it yourself but holy poo poo is it fast.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Phone posted:

gently caress mods: Drive it. Go find the local autocross chapter and run the poo poo out of it in H Stock.

Black Is Black posted:

This is pretty much the best advice to "what mods should I get". Drive your car a bit, you will find the answers you seek.

Agreed, unless your car comes with lovely all-seasons. A set of nice summers will turn it into a different car.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Don't count on DSG coming to North America.

Who knows - R-level Golfs have come to the US with DSG before, and now that they're MIM they may be able to save enough to make the option worth it.

Plus, there's no more A3 hatch to cannibalize.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Drove a Focus ST yesterday morning at an awesome enthusiast brunch. I really, really liked it. Really wondering if it would be worth stepping out of the MS6 for a FoST in the near future.

If you're waiting you might as well wait to see what the new MS3 is going to be, even though it sounds like they may aim more at the STi / Golf R / Focus RS and go AWD. If they do FWD it'll still be a really tough competitor to the FoST - the Mazda 3's interior is so drat nice.

Dr.Caligari posted:

I had a early 2000's Focus hatchback park beside me today. It never occured to me how similar it and the FiST are. Kind of makes me want to pick one up as a beater, I see them cheap on CL occasionally.

For the time they were kind of amazing, aside from the recalls.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Is that even happening?

A concept's supposedly coming to Frankfurt Auto Show in September.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

KakerMix posted:

That bothers me a whole lot and I'm going to capitalist it up and not buy their products anymore since that's the only thing I can do.

Yup. Sucks. I wanted to do an R but I couldn't live with myself.

scuz posted:

Yet another MK2 GTI has surfaced on the local CL. What a beaut this one is, even compared to the one I linked last page.

gently caress, Montana Green though...

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Aargh posted:

The BMW 1 series? Did you guys get the hatch?

We get the X1, which was basically a 1 hatch on stilts until the new 2016 model switched to being a big Countryman.

No stick in any configuration but an RWD X135 with the M-sport package would be pretty nice.

Always the E36 compact, though, if you want cheap RWD hatch.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

For how great the Pilot Super Sports are the treadwear is incredible. Everything with comparable levels wears way faster.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

If I could only own one car it'd probably be something with a DSG. I was very impressed with it on my '12 GTI I had a few years ago, and the traffic in the Bay Area is too nasty to only have a stick.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Michelin PSS is life. Holy gently caress these things feel fantastic.

Best tires on the planet. I'm at the point where I won't buy another fast car unless it can support an existing size of PSS. They're so good.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Needed tires, Costco had a deal on Michelins and they didn't have PS4S. The Pilot Super Sports are more than adequate, lol.

4S is just rolling out now, slowly, and availability started with some really big fitments.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I really want a 1st gen Mazdaspeed3 but there are 100 GTIs and Cooper S' for every one MS3 in my price range.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

opengl128 posted:

Same, but yeah sold mine with under 50k on it. I did always have smoking turbo and VVT issues in the back of my mind.

So one with 150k+ on it is a bad idea?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I don't know what Honda is doing lately. The back of the new CRV is the worst back end on a utility vehicle since the Aztek.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I would probably buy a 2018 Golf R with DSG if I was going back to one car and didn't have to care about what my wife wanted, at least until Mazda wises up and puts the 2.5T and AWD in the 3.

If I had a GTI I'd get the Autobahn anyways (have to have leather for dirty doggo and also I kind of can't bring myself to not buy THE BEST VERSION of whatever) so from there it's not that much of a leap for the R.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The Focus RS looks boy-racery but at least makes sense to look at. The Type R does not.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I'm just hoping that there are full-electric hot hatches or affordable performance cars before the oceans melt entirely and we all drive speedboats to work.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

All-seasons on a performance car is haram.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

My Speed3 is the first car I've ever owned without a sunroof (all the way back to the crank operated ones on my air-cooled bug and Rabbit GTI) and it fuckin' sucks.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The gearing in the Speed is pretty funny - fairly short gearing until 5 and then 6 is HUGE. 70mph idling.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

dissss posted:

Yeah my first gen was about that - it was actually about the same as my current model 3 with the 2.5 and MT

I think they changed the gearing a bit second gen speeds though

Mine's a Gen1. I dunno, 6th feels loving huge to me compared to the rest of the gearing.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I'd take the R because having DSG and a nice interior is worth giving up 3.5 seconds in lap time.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

wolrah posted:

Got bored and decided to check. Looks like you nailed it. Audi TT seems to be the shortest new AWD car in the US market, with the Jeep Renegade and its platform-mate the Fiat 500X coming in second. The Jeep is technically a half inch shorter body but the wheelbase is identical. Mini Clubman seems to be in third.

CX-3?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

This car apparently has experienced more severe depreciation than any car manufactured in the past 10 years.

I don't know how much is even a fair price for it.

Last time I looked you could get the 500e for stupid cheap. That's the play, I think.

My buddy had one for a while before upgrading to a Model S and it was pretty decent.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Just got an AWD turbo Mazda hatch to be a friend to my FWD turbo Mazda hatch

it's hot and it's l o n g

this motor would need serious retuning to be appropriate for a new Mazdaspeed, but holy poo poo does it have a lot of torque

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

If we're comparing "fastest versions" then shouldn't the R be tested with the DSG?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

KillHour posted:

So I assume the RS3 is getting more power, too? I can't imagine VAG wants the golf to eat its lunch.

Perceived value of pleb hatchback vs. hot luxury sedan? The S3 and Golf R are already basically the same thing.

I don't care what badge is on the front, the RS3 drivetrain in a hatchback is something I would very much like to have.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

apple maps really isnt that bad but i'm glad to see waze will be available soon

I think the "Apple Maps Sucks" thing is mostly an overblown meme nowadays, but it's pretty dependent on where you live. In the Bay Area I've been using only AM for years and it works great for me. I know it's much worse overseas.

But this is great, because when Mazda puts CarPlay in my CX9 this fall I can use Apple Maps & Apple Music and my wife can use Google Maps & Spotify and all will be well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

fknlo posted:

I don't think the VR6 ones were bad at all outside of the typical issues. The G60 ones are where poo poo got wild.

ask me about trying to keep a trashed 1990 G60 alive as a high school senior with a job at a coffee shop circa 1999