Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

does my stupid tuned alltrack count as a hot hatch

Does my dumb xB?

:v:

[e] I’m putting a TRD rear sway bar and strut brace on it that counts for something right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

also obviously need to ditch the stock tires but I'm too cheap to throw away perfectly good tires.

Just sell them that's what I did, got some Dunlops and sold the perfectly good all seasons that were on it. Totally worth it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

blah not sure how much anyone is gonna give me for some slightly used Falken Sinceras so I'll probably just try to drive over some nails or something

you'd be surprised, there's a lot of people that can't afford new tires and if they are in good condition and you price them reasonably they will go quick.

Mine were cheap rear end Primewell all seasons that were still in great condition. I just checked the ebay price for the same tire used and priced them right around that, I think i got like $250 for them within a week of putting the add up.

I also wanted a wider tire too, so I was able to get some wider summer rubber and it made big difference. Should be even better once I get the rear sway bar on.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

TheBacon posted:

If you care about cars enough to post ITT you will regret not getting something that at least makes you a little heart racing, makes you want to look back at it when you park.

I don't know about that, I think it depends on where you're at in your life and what you need in a vehicle overall, if part of that is a little excitement then a GTI is a good car for that if you can afford one.

I drove a few (including the Jetta version) when I was looking for a new car and I liked it, but I didn't like it nearly enough to pay what it cost. I don't drive much and when i do it's in urban sprawl running errands and taking my son to school, straight flat roads in a grid system with hardly any turns to speak of (Florida) so honestly I wouldn't have been able to put a GTI through it's paces much anyway.

My car doesn't make my heart race lol, but it handles decent with summer tires and has enough torque when I step on it to get me past idiots driving around this over populated city. It doesn't make me smile from ear to ear when I drive it or anything, but I don't dislike driving it either and I'm content with it until I can get a EV, and the E-Golf is high on the list. They were dropping in price big time before the used market went nuts so I'm gonna have to wait awhile until prices get back to normal.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've owned a lot of Miatas so I think that kind of ruined me for almost every other manual transmission made. The GTI manual felt very disconnected to me, both the clutch and shifter. Then again just about every other manual I drove felt kinda meh as well (Ford, Toyota, Hyundai, Mazda) with the exception to the Hondas (Civic and Accord) which felt really good.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

What are you talking about, the Scion brand is synonymous with racing pedigree :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Coolnezzz posted:

This is exactly how I feel about my '18 Si, I really dislike being inside of it for longer than a few minutes at a time. Infotainment is a terribly old version of Android and extremely unresponsive, the AC controls are a menu deep but it often takes 10+ seconds for the menu to load after hitting the climate control button.

Jesus Christ, gently caress that. More and more used cars are going to suck rear end, and there's gonna be a ten year or more period of "old touch screen cars" that nobody wants because of poo poo like that.

You can try to pry my mechanical climate controls from my cold dead hands :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

I mean, you can sell at an inflated price but unless this is your secondary car anything you buy is going to be inflated in price too.

Yeah it's a seller's market now, you're not getting any advantage whatsoever selling your car if you gotta turn right around and buy another one, not worth the hassle in the slightest.

Unless you plan on taking the bus or biking to work until the market calms down but who knows when that will be :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

to me it's dumb to not drive what you want year round unless you have a winter specific use case. if you live somewhere with winter cars are disposable and a stinger isn't such a valuable car as to care imo. i'd daily the M5 in the winter if the purpose of a winter driver for me wasn't to go skiing

Yeah, not for a Stinger. Maybe for something way more expensive like a hellcat, or a roadster if you have a family and don't drive it much anyway then there's no point driving it during the winter.

Or obviously anything old and collectible too.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Dr. Lunchables posted:

You guys keep acting like I shouldnt be driving my 253k Saturn vue in the winter, and I absolutely don’t get it. Why would I drive my new car in the salt when my old one has plastic body panels?

Because you bought a new car so you didn't have to drive lovely Saturn?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

TheBacon posted:

I’m all for drive the poo poo out if the thing you love, but I can also totally understand not wanting to have to rinse the undercarriage constantly of a car you like. People talking poo poo saying ‘just a stinger’ (lmao at first I wrote just a singer which would be some real flexing) are honestly kind of not cool,

It's just an opinion dude, to me a Stinger is not worth keeping in the garage for an entire winter season to drive some other lovely car while my nice, new and comfortable powerful Stinger sits and collects dust....It wouldn't be worth it to me. I mean when I lived in Wisconsin I knew guys that drove winter beaters, and I never understood why they would subject themselves to that all winter long. My uncle had a new Trans Am, and while it was nice it wasn't some kind of rare car or anything special, but he drove this old rear end Delta 88 land barge all winter long and it was a horrible car. gently caress that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hikaki posted:

It's not even about the resale value of the car (well, I guess partly it is). It's about having this nice new thing and feeling good because it stays nice. It's about going out with your not-nice thing and having piece of mind because you don't care what happens to it. I'm not saying it's not a flawed mentality but that's just how people's brains work.

My wife bought a flawless, super low mileage LS460 over two years ago and since then has driven the poo poo out of it on her long rear end commute to work. It is now well worn and does not look nearly as nice as it did when she first got it, but she still loves it and bought it for the very reason of having a comfortable luxury car for her long commute. If I started telling her she should stop driving it so it stays nice and get an old Camry or something to drive to work she would tell me to gently caress off. I don't think there are as many people with the "flawed mentality" as you think.

[e]

BlackMK4 posted:

yes, but that is how it goes sometimes. I sent a $20k Miata through a fence at a track day a week after I bought it and damaged every single panel on the car, obviously no insurance involved. poo poo happens.

:stare: Yeah poo poo happens but that must have been a real oh gently caress moment

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 22, 2021

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Volguus posted:

Some ... bad things:

- The attention. Jesus. I guess I should have imagined, but yeah, that's uncomfortable. People just loving stare.

Why because of the loud exhaust? Because it's not exactly an attention getter style wise :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tbh I don't see why it would be getting so much attention to the point of it being a negative issue with the car. It's a Hyundai lol

Do you live out in the middle of nowhere where people still ride on horse carts or something?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm just half busting your balls and being curious dude :v:

Enjoy your new car it's pretty sweet!

[e]

Volguus posted:

Maybe it's just me imagining things and people just were looking for birds or something.

I laughed at that pretty hard, good one lol

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 6, 2021

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I think it was mostly how much it was that killed it for me. The new car has been on and off the table so many times I didn't seriously think it would happen. But now that it can actually happen everything in my head adds up differently.

Don't get down about it man, I was in the exact same situation. After my accident, when I got my settlement I could have easily afforded to pay cash for a new car, almost anything I wanted within reason. my wife even gave me the green light, get whatever you want. But I immediately set a budget because I wanted to save most of the money for house projects and other poo poo, so I figured mid to high 20's was my cutoff point, I should have EASILY found a nice new car for that much right?

Well the problem was NONE of the cars I drove felt worth it to me. Sure they were nice, but mostly because they were brand new, once the newness wears off would this car be worth it? And the answer kept coming up no, not really. After all the cars I drove it came down to a Civic Sport MT, and for the price (like 24k I think) it just didn't feel all that much better than my Scion that just got totaled. So I just got another used Scion and saved even more money and I'm happy with the car.

That being said I'm keeping a close eye on the Ford Maverick coming out, if I really like it I might get one, and it will still be in my initial new car budget.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

I feel like absent some strange situation where a new version of a car I want is only like 1k more than a used one with 30k on the clock or something I'm just never going to buy a new car

Yeah that's where I was. I got another Scion with 30k miles on it (2015) for $13k out the door. That's less than half of what I would have paid OTD for the Civic.

And really the only thing the civic had going for it over the Scion was the smooth as silk manual trans mated to the K series. The interior was no better at all, I remember thinking they got the carpet from the Walmart auto section, like the poo poo you buy in rolls that's how cheap and lovely it was. Seat material wasn't much better, it was not a step up from the Scion at all. I couldn't get past the cheap interior and that's what made up my mind pretty much.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I could probably sell mine now for exactly what I paid for it lol.

And yes the Civic was more fun to drive, and maybe if I lived in an area that was actually fun to drive in I would take stock in that, but I don't so that had no factor either.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Also the Civic wasn't exactly quick, the sport I drove had the n/a K series in it. I imagine the turbo civics are a good bit quicker but I didn't drive any of those.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Was it the 10th Gen Sport? I’m pretty sure that only comes with the 1.5l Turbo, in the US at least

Yes but the sedan so K series only, the sport hatch had the turbo tho. At that time the hatch was more expensive, plus I didn't want to deal with the turbo issues those cars were having. Hopefully Honda has dealt with that by now.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah now you can. The last gen you couldn't afaik, if there were some produced there weren't any within a 500 mile radius from me.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fellatio del Toro posted:

my veloster n got totaled by a (likely) drunk driver and boy does buying a car fuckin suck right now

Replacing my totaled xB (also by drunk driver) was a pain in the dick and that was right before the pandemic hit, I feel sorry for anyone that needs a car these days, especially if you are looking for anything really specific like a Veloster N.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I remember seeing a Mini Cooper S for the first time in person at the Gap, thinking it was such a cool car and I wanted one.

But by the time I could afford one as more of them were on the used market, they had a reputation for being poo poo reliability wise so I never even drove one. Which is too bad because supposedly they handle really good and are fun to drive. Not worth the BMW bullshit tho.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I'd actually prefer it it without the wing, would be cool if there was a delete option for that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I never buy roof racks or any of the attachments new, there are always used ones available. You will usually have to buy the "clips" from Yakima/Thule that fit your car but that's about it. I got ski holders not long ago because they work great for fishing poles and all other kinds of poo poo, wish I would have figured that out sooner.

The other day some guy asked me if I actually use the rack or if it's for show. I don't get it, when did roof racks become a cosmetic thing? I take mine off if I know I won't be using them for awhile. Especially on the interstates, they create drag and are noisy.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

japtor posted:

Supposedly this trick works for wind noise at least:

tl:dr (dw?) wrap some cord around the bars, like the spiral around long car antennas.

That helps for the howling noise they tend to make if there's nothing on them. I have SUP/surfboard pads on mine plus the ski racks so that stops the howling but it still makes more noticeable wind noise with it than without it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nitsuga posted:

Mine howls like the dickens, but it’s part of the fun of adventurin’ with my bike I figure. I might test it out though.

Just wrap a bungee cord around the cross bars, that's what I did before I realized I just needed to leave the drat pads on cuz they do the same thing.

Pads are sun damaged all to hell now but oh well :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

They went from one extreme to the next. Over the top to underwhelming lol

That being said I like this one better than over the top for sure.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I have 15% on my car and it's fine and legal and have never had the cops question it. Just see what the legal limits of your state is.

Other than that it's personal preference, I like it darker for better security. But if you want people to see you better keep it lighter obviously.

As far as night time driving it's not a problem at all. 35% will have zero impact on your night vision.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

TheBacon posted:

Speaking of fords, does this count as a hot hatch? And why do I want it so much

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3vJxZpWm/2014-ford-transit-connect-xlt

From the list of "known flaws" it sounds like a hack job and should be avoided unless it could be had cheap.

Even then, trying to figure out the issues behind someone else's engine swap could be a nightmare

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My xB is more of a hot hatch now, just upgraded the brakes and got a matching hotchkis sway bar for the front to match the rear. Also put a strut bar on it lol.

With the summer Dunlops it handles pretty drat good now, pretty happy with it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Oh man I really want an Integra Type S, it's almost perfect.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

opengl posted:

This is dumb as all hell

As long as you can turn it off if you want it's not a bad idea

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

trouser chili posted:

They've loaded it with carbon fiber doodads, lighted doorsills, other wheels, alcantara steering wheel, lighted nose, other poo poo.... but are selling at MSRP, which is nice.

drat dude that's fuckin sweet. You gonna trade in the TLX? I would in a heartbeat :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

https://www.facebook.com/reel/275882678358021